1. 1. Have you contracted Covid-19?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you contracted COVID-19 REDUX

• Yes, more than once
    • Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

FWIW, I’ve got all of the shots, have had covid 3 or 4 times, and have never been more than slightly miserable.

I've lurked on this thread off and on and am somewhat amazed and surprised at the difference and severity of symptoms.  I've had(tested positive) 3 times as has my daughter. In my case the symptoms as well as my daughters' have been very different each time. Mine have ranged from mild to somewhat moderate,  while my daughters' have ranged from mild to somewhat severe.

While I have a few comorbidites, heart failure, A Fib, etc to name a few, t, my daughter is undergoing chemo for cancer. With all taken into consideration, I'm wondering if other, unrelated viruses can trigger a positive test result without actually having Covid? I also wonder if the fact that I've loaded up on Vit C, D, and zinc for years has made a difference. 

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 2/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, Brisketexan said:

Well, my hospital friends have informed me that hell, it may be days or weeks until I test negative.  For them, their protocol is "stay away for five days, and additional days if still symptomatic."  Then, after that, they come back to work, but N-95 at all times for 5 days.  They may STILL be testing positive weeks later, it's the nature of this bug, but once they get through that protocol, they don't need to do anything else.

Wife finally came back to our bed last night, she had enough of this shit.  She's still negative.  We'll both test again tomorrow.  Man.  After a coupla years of having stacks of tests sitting in the medicine cabinet, we actually had to get more tests at HEB yesterday.

Lol N95, dance puppet dance...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

We’ve had three vaccines total, the first three offered. We never got the fourth, or the re-mixed one. Thoughts on getting a shot? We don’t want to ruin our June vacation to Europe by catching Covid. Again. 

Who the fuck knows?  Maybe wait till a month or two out from the trip?  I got the bivalent in September just after it came out, probably too close to my first run with Covid in retrospect.  But I was going to a conference for work and had a vacation scheduled for shortly after the conference (which would have been my second vacation ruined by Covid).  Didn't get Covid at the conference.  Just got it for the second time, a couple weeks ago despite four shots, although it was very mild.  Basically a couple days of congestion, with a fever the first night.

Edited by lemonlime

So, you believe masking up doesn't help at all?
200.gif

Seriously….something Drs have been doing for over a century to keep pathogens from flowing out from them onto the patient/surgical field…suddenly stopped working with respect to this one virus.
No, nothing is perfect, but yes, wearing a mask (as someone who had a recent infection and still may have been carrying some residual virus) made it less likely that I would transmit the virus to someone I interacted with. Not impossible, but less likely. Just like your surgeon wearing a mask has made it less likely that they’ll transmit a pathogen to your surgical site for, oh, the past 100 years.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My family of 5 have all tested positive once. I had the initial vaccine, the other 4 have had nothing. Knocked my wife down for a few days, fever would be gone and then return. Basically did nothing to myself or my 3 kids. In fact, I wouldn’t have ever tested if I didn’t know the others had it. 

I still have no idea what works and what doesn’t. We traveled a lot last year. We don’t wear masks, stay home when we are sick. Pretty much the same as always. If any of my 3 little bacteria traps start coughing, I immediately hit the Emergen-C and somehow manage to dodge whatever they bring home.  Just lucky I guess, I’ll probably die tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

So, you believe masking up doesn't help at all?

Dog Eye Roll GIF by Rover.com

Depends on which study is revealed today/this week etc. Honestly, I do no know what to believe. In the last month I've read 2 different reports that stated masks, even the N-95 have no positive effect whatsoever in preventing the spread of Covid. Who knows what the next study will claim.

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Depends on which study is revealed today/this week etc. Honestly, I do no know what to believe. In the last month I've read 2 different reports that stated masks, even the N-95 have no positive effect whatsoever in preventing the spread of Covid. Who knows what the next study will claim.

I think there is a distinct difference in an infectious person masking to control what they are putting into the air, and a healthy person masking to avoid sickness. 

but controlling for the usage of masks is the toughest variable.  You have people that pull their masks down to talk, to sneeze, just for a quick break, that don’t wear them right ever, too loose, nose piece not set properly, etc. 

all you can do is wear yours correctly. 

I know a person that has expressed these two opposing thoughts concurrently:  wearing a mask creates a hypoxic environment within a few minutes, and also the Covid virus goes right through the mask.  That guy obviously doesn’t actually care about facts or logic but is looking for any and all reason to rationalize that he just doesn’t want to wear one.  Super coincidentally he believes that taxes are illegal. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Back in the day, patients in the hosp can test positive for weeks after being admitted. At the 3 wk mark, nurses weren't even gowning up or wearing an N95 to take care of those patients. Even leave the door open.

Healthcare workers are told to take five days off and then return work. No re-test necessary 

• 2 weeks later...

Motherfucker. Vaccinated, boosted, three years of negative results and BAM, get run over by a bus. Covid put me in bed four days  with the worst flu symptoms I can recall. 

I was a little cocky, thought I was impervious. Yeah, no. If they recommend getting a yearly dose here forward I’ll be first in line. Fuck this.

• Hook 'Em 2

Still no one in my family has caught it, or they have at least never tested positive.  7 people, out of those 3 elderly (70+) and two teens.  I work, kids go to school, we eat out, shop, etc.  Been on long plane flights and in crowded elevators with and without masks.  All but the teens have had the latest booster, but I never got the second boost last year and no one has had a shot since October.

Wife and I did the UT Cares thing and my antibodies were always off the charts, while hers were relatively low.  

I don’t know what to think about any of it at this point.  Hard to be motivated to get more shots like I was in 2021.  

On 2/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, Brisketexan said:

Seriously….something Drs have been doing for over a century to keep pathogens from flowing out from them onto the patient/surgical field…suddenly stopped working with respect to this one virus.
No, nothing is perfect, but yes, wearing a mask (as someone who had a recent infection and still may have been carrying some residual virus) made it less likely that I would transmit the virus to someone I interacted with. Not impossible, but less likely. Just like your surgeon wearing a mask has made it less likely that they’ll transmit a pathogen to your surgical site for, oh, the past 100 years.

Surgeons don't wear masks to stop pathogens - they wear them to stop the transmission of fluids in the operating room.  Specifically from the doctor to the exposed patient.  If the doctor is sick with some type of pathogen, unless there are NO other options, they would not operate.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

they wear them to stop the transmission of fluids in the operating room

Fluids carrying......come on, you can get there.....

They want to stop fluids carrying.....pathogens!  Right down to relatively normal stuff, like the bacteria that lives in your mouth etc. on a regular basis.  You don't want to get that into a patient's open surgical site, and fluid droplets are a perfect vehicle for such things (bacteria, viruses, etc.).  Fluid droplet transmission...that's what masks reduce materially.  Fluid droplet transmission....that's a primary means of infection with things like colds, the flu, and COVID.

I get the overall point that "masks aren't the magic bullet that solves everything."  But what I don't get is the argument that when it comes to droplet transmitted illnesses....they are pointless.  The lack of logic just blows me away.  But, y'all do you.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Fluids carrying......come on, you can get there.....

They want to stop fluids carrying.....pathogens!  Right down to relatively normal stuff, like the bacteria that lives in your mouth etc. on a regular basis.  You don't want to get that into a patient's open surgical site, and fluid droplets are a perfect vehicle for such things (bacteria, viruses, etc.).  Fluid droplet transmission...that's what masks reduce materially.  Fluid droplet transmission....that's a primary means of infection with things like colds, the flu, and COVID.

I get the overall point that "masks aren't the magic bullet that solves everything."  But what I don't get is the argument that when it comes to droplet transmitted illnesses....they are pointless.  The lack of logic just blows me away.  But, y'all do you.

If a surgeon has an active pathogen infection they are not operating unless there are no other options.  The masks are to stop fluids.  A cough.  A sneeze.  A runny nose as you are bent over the exposed patient or transmission the other way, such as arterial spray, etc. so the mouth and eyes are covered.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If a surgeon has an active pathogen infection they are not operating unless there are no other options.  The masks are to stop fluids.  A cough.  A sneeze.  A runny nose as you are bent over the exposed patient or transmission the other way, such as arterial spray, etc. so the mouth and eyes are covered.  

All correct.

If a surgeon has a hacking cough and runny nose, he'd be a terrible surgeon if he still operated.

However, I seem to have heard somewhere that people can be carrying a pathogen, and transmitting it, before they have observable symptoms.  Yeah, seems I have heard that for....my entire freaking life.  You can be carrying an illness-causing pathogen without knowing it.  The reason mask-wearing came about?  Because a German doc figured out that droplets....could carry TB.  And yes, they work both ways -- they also protect the doc from fluids from the surgical site. 

You say that masks stop fluids, cough, sneeze, etc.  Then ask WHY that is important.  It's not because "saliva is icky."  It's because saliva....can carry pathogens.  On its own, if it were sterile, saliva or mucus wouldn't be much of a concern if a tiny bit got in a surgical site (again, if sterile).  It's just an ordinary human body fluid, the body can handle it.  It's all about the pathogens those fluids may carry.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You say that masks stop fluids, cough, sneeze, etc.  Then ask WHY that is important.  It's not because "saliva is icky."  It's because saliva....can carry pathogens.  On its own, if it were sterile, saliva or mucus wouldn't be much of a concern if a tiny bit got in a surgical site (again, if sterile).  It's just an ordinary human body fluid, the body can handle it.  It's all about the pathogens those fluids may carry.

That's the entire point - they protect against more overt, visual fluid containment.  As would a napkin or handkerchief.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's the entire point - they protect against more overt, visual fluid containment.  As would a napkin or handkerchief.  

And....finish the thought.   Why is "overt, visual fluid containment" important?  Is it because saliva is just, icky?  OR....is it because those fluids are not sterile, and can carry pathogens?  Pick an answer.  You know which one it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

And....finish the thought.   Why is "overt, visual fluid containment" important?  Is it because saliva is just, icky?  OR....is it because those fluids are not sterile, and can carry pathogens?  Pick an answer.  You know which one it is.

Again, if you are showing overt, symptoms of fluid transmission, then wear a mask or cover your face, but if you have no symptoms and are breathing normally, you are doing very little.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Again, if you are showing overt, symptoms of fluid transmission, then wear a mask or cover your face, but if you have no symptoms and are breathing normally, you are doing very little.  

Raw dog a hooker in Boystown who is showing no visible symptoms of herpes and see how that works out for you.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

For us regular folks?  Yeah.  That's the approach.  These days, I wore a mask only after I had been ill, and wanted to be cautious about any residual transmissibility.  Otherwise, no, I don't wear a mask around.

For a surgeon, who is dealing with literal open wounds and patients who will have stressed systems after the trauma of surgery?  He should wear a mask at all times.  For the same reason -- he COULD be carrying something that would be harmful if it was transmitted to the patient by fluid transfer (even if he's not showing symptoms, he could be carrying and transmitting a pathogen -- we know this), so best to wear a mask to sharply limit that risk.

What are you supposed to do if someone in your house is positive and symptomatic, and you are not quarantining or masking or separating, but you do not have symptoms or test positive? CDC I believe says you can do whatever you want but being in this situation for a second time, it doesn't feel right. I'm bored out of my mind, my 13 year old feels fine now but is home from school and I want to go to the gym. How long do I need to wait to not be an asshole?

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How long do YOU need to wait, or how long does the hypothetical average person need to wait?  Because on the "you" and "not being an asshole" front, I have some bad news for you....

Hey just because I post here and like it here doesn't automatically make me an asshole. Well actually I guess it sort of does. Just tested again. I'm the fucking Ellie of Covid 19. Who is going to be my Joel and take me to the gym?

On 3/15/2023 at 10:36 AM, BabaYaga said:

I don’t know how to tell you this, and if you are a neat freak, this is going to put you on tilt:  your body is absolutely teaming with all sorts of pathogens, virus, bacteria, and other microscopic organisms.  You are basically an Amazon rainforest and full of life along for the ride. Most of it has no or an actually positive effect on you, either because you have a robust immune system or it’s a cobeneficial relationship. 

The masks reduce the chances any of those organisms pass along to somebody else, particularly in a medical situation, whose own ecosystem may not be able to handle their introduction. Your mouth in particular, is kinda an open sewer. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

My daughter started a horrible cough with body aches Friday night.  Gave her a home test and it popped positive, so I knew it was only a matter of time before it got me. Sure enough, had a scratchy throat Sunday morning, coughing like a motherfucker by Monday. At home test was positive..my second time to have covid (first time Feb 2022).  The first time was a breeze...nothing more than a cough for a few days. This time is different!  Last night was a little rough - 102 fever, cough, aches, fatigue.  Had trouble sleeping the past two nights from all the coughing fits. My wife works at the hospital/clinic pharmacy so she was able to get me some benzonatate and that helped some, but I wanted some syrup with codeine to help knock my ass out which meant an appointment was necessary.

I started feeling a little better around noon today, but went to the appointment this afternoon anyway to get that codeine (hoping to sell what I dont use to BigTony).  Doc also gave me some Paxlovid.  Been reading mixed reviews, many claiming the side-effect symptoms wound up worse than the actual covid.  Anyone here have any experience with it?  Being that I'm starting to feel a little better (no fever, no aches, just a cough and runny nose), I'm reluctant to start it for fear of nausea and diarrhea.

My daughter started a horrible cough with body aches Friday night.  Gave her a home test and it popped positive, so I knew it was only a matter of time before it got me. Sure enough, had a scratchy throat Sunday morning, coughing like a motherfucker by Monday. At home test was positive..my second time to have covid (first time Feb 2022).  The first time was a breeze...nothing more than a cough for a few days. This time is different!  Last night was a little rough - 102 fever, cough, aches, fatigue.  Had trouble sleeping the past two nights from all the coughing fits. My wife works at the hospital/clinic pharmacy so she was able to get me some benzonatate and that helped some, but I wanted some syrup with codeine to help knock my ass out which meant an appointment was necessary.
I started feeling a little better around noon today, but went to the appointment this afternoon anyway to get that codeine (hoping to sell what I dont use to BigTony).  Doc also gave me some Paxlovid.  Been reading mixed reviews, many claiming the side-effect symptoms wound up worse than the actual covid.  Anyone here have any experience with it?  Being that I'm starting to feel a little better (no fever, no aches, just a cough and runny nose), I'm reluctant to start it for fear of nausea and diarrhea.

The main Paxlovid side effects for me were extreme dry mouth and it left a weird taste too. It helped since I had a severe case that time(had it at least 3 verifiable times).

I knew as soon as my work quit giving paid days off for this shit I'd finally get it, hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday. Shots and boosters and this stuff don't give a shit. 59 years old and I have never had anything hit me this fast. I went from perfectly fine to fucking chills so bad I almost went to the emergency room. Doctor this morning said this latest variant is pretty mild, well fuck I'm glad I don't have the bad stuff. Wife still hasn't had it so I hope she doesn't get this.

I knew as soon as my work quit giving paid days off for this shit I'd finally get it, hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday. Shots and boosters and this stuff don't give a shit. 59 years old and I have never had anything hit me this fast. I went from perfectly fine to fucking chills so bad I almost went to the emergency room. Doctor this morning said this latest variant is pretty mild, well fuck I'm glad I don't have the bad stuff. Wife still hasn't had it so I hope she doesn't get this.

I think this variant IS mild in the “won’t put you in the hospital or kill you” sense. But in the “makes you as sick as any respiratory virus has done,” it ain’t mild at all. My experience was on par with my worst cold/a moderate flu, which means it wasn’t fun. But it surely could have been worse.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:33 PM, Burt said:

Anyone here have any experience with it?

No nausea. Yes to diarrhea but not in that I was on the toilet constantly, just that when I did go, it was that. 

mosy annnoying was the chalky/metallic taste that isn’t from taking it, because you don’t chew it. But it lasts the entire time through to the next dose, so it’s 5 full days of it. Unless you lose your taste I guess. 

also, I started it on day 1 of testing positive but day 3 of symptoms, and started feeling symptom free a day later. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 3/22/2023 at 11:33 PM, Burt said:

Doc also gave me some Paxlovid.  Been reading mixed reviews, many claiming the side-effect symptoms wound up worse than the actual covid.  Anyone here have any experience with it?  Being that I'm starting to feel a little better (no fever, no aches, just a cough and runny nose), I'm reluctant to start it for fear of nausea and diarrhea.

JAMA Internal Medicine found that using the antiviral medication Paxlovid within five days of a positive Covid-19 test was associated with a lower risk of long Covid in all age groups, regardless of vaccination status or history of infection.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:27 PM, dcbc said:

You really can see where Delta and Omicron V1 hit hard and fast.

Raises hand.  Hospital test postive early Oct 21.  Home test positive early Jan 22.  Symptoms mild both times.  Lost smell and taste in Oct, didn't in Jan.  Had a third go round in May of 22.

RSV in November 22 kicked my ass hard.

Kids, fucking germ factories.