Do you FIRE? Financial Independence, Retire Early

UTGrad98

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

From 25-35 I was dead set on early retirement.  I HATED working.  Original goal was to retire by 50, and luck has actually made it feasible to move that up to my mid-40s.  But as that point rapidly approaches my attitude is changing; I’m not sure why or how much.  But I’m no longer obsessed with stopping work.  Maybe it’s because I’m scared of running out of money at an age where it’d be very difficult to re-enter the workforce.  Maybe it’s because I have a very low-stress job that offers me tremendous flexibility and decent pay so I’m not as miserable as I was at previous jobs.  Maybe it’s because I’ve had kids and that’s driving me to work as an example to them and to continually increase the advantages/joys they’ll experience.  Maybe I’ve just gotten old and worn down such that the grind doesn’t grind as much.  Anyway, I will almost certainly not be working my current career full time by 60, but I now doubt I will “retire” before 55.  Statistically I am probably already “Financially  Independent”, and that is a great feeling even if I’m not exercising that independence in the form of not working.  Now that I type it out, maybe that’s the reason I’m not hell bent on stopping working anymore: having enough wealth not to “have to” takes away a lot of the misery.

Great post and it’s something I always tell young people looking to FIRE. Your priorities of what makes you happy and your life situation could change dramatically between your 20’s and 50’s, and so you need to execute a plan that doesn’t prohibit you from having the experiences you want to have along the way and into old age. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem with FIRE is it's a decided before you even know what the potential from not retiring early is realized - have fun while you are working and climb, spend like your salary 2 raises ago and one day you will wake up and be financially independent, assuming you are on a climb. If you just plan on trading effort for money then yeah, FIRE it up.

Financial independence coupled with retiring early is the problem and it's the whole point of the acronym. Saying you are cheap because it suits you and you prefer it is just a hilarious mentality.

What a interesting topic, and proves surly arguing about anything. 

Someone else doing FIRE doesn’t impact you at all, if they are happy living on any income level why do a couple of you want to keep coming back and shitting on this thread. Let people be happy living their life their way. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The problem with FIRE is it's a decided before you even know what the potential from not retiring early is realized - have fun while you are working and climb, spend like your salary 2 raises ago and one day you will wake up and be financially independent, assuming you are on a climb. If you just plan on trading effort for money then yeah, FIRE it up.

Financial independence coupled with retiring early is the problem and it's the whole point of the acronym. Saying you are cheap because it suits you and you prefer it is just a hilarious mentality.

This take dismisses the idea that some people are unable to “have fun while you are working”.  It also dismisses the idea that some people actually do prefer living on less. Materialism isn’t a universal prescription.  Like the commenter above said, you’re just unnecessarily shitting on people.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

This take dismisses the idea that some people are unable to “have fun while you are working”.  It also dismisses the idea that some people actually do prefer living on less. Materialism isn’t a universal prescription.  Like the commenter above said, you’re just unnecessarily shitting on people.

Dude no it doesn't, it is saying those people aren't unrealistic and found jobs they like to work even though they could gain financial independence. Materialism? No one enjoys living on less, they just don't know what more is and are satisfied (not an issue). A lot of people view it as a sacrifice they make to not work. How about FILL as an acronym. Financial independence loving life. 

If you don't need your salary but it means you get to do awesome shit still and it's fun anyway then why the hell not? That's the dream - the dream isn't to work and live like a tightwad and worry about shit getting more expensive or your best egg running out if some unexpected shit happens too often. 

Dude no it doesn't, it is saying those people aren't unrealistic and found jobs they like to work even though they could gain financial independence. Materialism? No one enjoys living on less, they just don't know what more is and are satisfied (not an issue). A lot of people view it as a sacrifice they make to not work. How about FILL as an acronym. Financial independence loving life. 

If you don't need your salary but it means you get to do awesome shit still and it's fun anyway then why the hell not? That's the dream - the dream isn't to work and live like a tightwad and worry about shit getting more expensive or your best egg running out if some unexpected shit happens too often. 

I can’t really follow either of your posts. Are you saying that anyone/everyone can just work and not save much and still end up independently wealthy and retire early anyway?  

2 hours ago, immamac said:

No one enjoys living on less, they just don't know what more is and are satisfied (not an issue).

Unless you're first name is Elon, you must be miserable knowing how happier and more satisfied the very wealthy are compared to you. But hopefully you don't realize how unenjoyable your life is.

I feel sorry for you.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm cheap because it allows me to put away a fuck ton more money that you can. My expenses are 1000 dollars a month or so doing whatever the fuck I want in South America with a 6 figure income. Do the math.

I'm cheap because it allows me to put away a fuck ton more money that you can. My expenses are 1000 dollars a month or so doing whatever the fuck I want in South America with a 6 figure income. Do the math.

Just curious, how do you live on $1k mo? What does that budget look like where you are.

Also what do you do for income down there?

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I can’t really follow either of your posts. Are you saying that anyone/everyone can just work and not save much and still end up independently wealthy and retire early anyway?  

No, I'm saying people can live without having to be stingy their whole lives if they have jobs they don't hate and set their lives up right. Basically regular retirement, which is not what people do anymore and now they need to retire early because working sucks and so does having nice things. 

46 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Just curious, how do you live on $1k mo? What does that budget look like where you are.

Also what do you do for income down there?

In Medellin, the nicest neighborhood apartments are $400 a month. You can have a penthouse that would cost 10 million dollars in NYC for $1000 a month. Food is almost free. Argentina is even cheaper. Beer is less than a dollar in both. You can go to a steakhouse and a steak and a bottle of wine is $15. 

I am in software. 

Spend enough time outside the US, you’ll see the bullshit is costs, people, food, mentality, lifestyle and politics.

Edited by ATexanAbroad

No, I'm saying people can live without having to be stingy their whole lives if they have jobs they don't hate and set their lives up right. Basically regular retirement, which is not what people do anymore and now they need to retire early because working sucks and so does having nice things. 

This is an absolute shitastic viewpoint. I’m sorry that the only things in life that are nice for you are material liabilities.

I have owned a house and bought myself an S5. I sold them both and realized I don’t need either.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

This is dead ass wrong and if you don’t know that I feel sorry for you.

17 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

15 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

In Medellin, the nicest neighborhood apartments are $400 a month. You can have a penthouse that would cost 10 million dollars in NYC for $1000 a month. Food is almost free. Argentina is even cheaper. Beer is less than a dollar in both. You can go to a steakhouse and a steak and a bottle of wine is $15. 

I am in software. 

Spend enough time outside the US, you’ll see the bullshit is costs, people, food, mentality, lifestyle and politics.

15 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

This is an absolute shitastic viewpoint. I’m sorry that the only things in life that are nice for you are material liabilities.

I have owned a house and bought myself an S5. I sold them both and realized I don’t need either.

well there it is all right GIF

the quintessential FIRE condescending lecture full of “I feel sorry for you” and ripe with assumptions that you just don’t get it. The I save more than you is choice. Is that the new let’s compare paychecks post? Haha Whateves bro.

17 minutes ago, troph said:

the quintessential FIRE condescending lecture full of “I feel sorry for you” and ripe with assumptions that you just don’t get it. The I save more than you is choice. Is that the new let’s compare paychecks post? Haha Whateves bro.

Why are in you in a thread where you and immac have complete contempt for anyone that wants financial independence? No one is slamming how you live but you seem to like to judge people.

and immac deserves an eye roll when he states that “poor” people don’t know how bad they have because they don’t have his level of income. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I love to work, because I love what I’m doing - I’m about to enter my second full career building off of my fairly successful law practice and I know have 4 entrepreneurs that look to me for guidance (including investment) to help them achieve their goals, some might even be FIRE folks I don’t exactly know.  There’s money attached to all of this, because that’s how the world works, but it’s not materialism. It’s the pursuit of meaning. Waking up knowing others are relying on me for their success is the crux of the matter for me. Even as a lawyer only that brought tremendous meaning. Now I don’t want to work even 40 hours a week anymore so I’ll make that change too. Read my most recent 25 posts and you’ll likely find a theme of pursuing meaning, finding balance, having experiences, traveling, chasing the sun, freedom, etc, though two of my posts are about my grandmother dying so context is required if you actually engaged in that exercise.  So some of us find it challenging to pick the cheapest coolest place for a steak dinner and calling it a wrap, the show I’m auditioning for requires for me at least that I have a different kind of meaning in life. 

28 minutes ago, troph said:

What the fuck are you talking about?  My comment was responding to someone saying essentially “happy people who don’t spend their entire lives in pursuit of material possessions or ephemeral experiences are only happy because they don’t know how we (the other half) live”.  GTFOH with that silly, stupid, shallow shit.

I don’t judge anyone who wants to have more money.  Do you.  But acting like that’s “the way” for everyone, and that anyone not following that way is ignorant, is ridiculous.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why are in you in a thread where you and immac have complete contempt for anyone that wants financial independence? No one is slamming how you live but you seem to like to judge people.

and immac deserves an eye roll when he states that “poor” people don’t know how bad they have because they don’t have his level of income. 

I probably should leave. I did leave but saw some really shitty posts that I wanted to call out.  I don’t have contempt for FIRE folks at all, I have contempt for people saying Folks who work don’t get it. I could retire yesterday under the FIRE approach, I get it. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I probably should leave. I did leave but saw some really shitty posts that I wanted to call out.  I don’t have contempt for FIRE folks at all, I have contempt for people saying Folks who work don’t get it. I could retire yesterday under the FIRE approach, I get it. 

Then please quote the comment(s) where someone said “folks who work don’t get it”.  You quoted a comment of mine and that DEFINITELY is not what I said.

Edited by Snake Diggity

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

What the fuck are you talking about?  My comment was responding to someone saying essentially “happy people who don’t spend their entire lives in pursuit of material possessions or ephemeral experiences are only happy because they don’t know how we (the other half) live”.  GTFOH with that silly, stupid, shallow shit.

I don’t judge anyone who wants to have more money.  Do you.  But acting like that’s “the way” for everyone, and that anyone not following that way is ignorant, is ridiculous.

Suck your own dick.

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Then please quote the comment(s) where someone said “folks who work don’t get it”.  You quoted a comment of mine and that DEFINITELY is not what I said.

Dude your counter part basically blasted folks as being materialistic and held up a gold medal for his lifestyle and said he won. Congrats to him. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Please move on. No one said that but you decided to take offense when none was offered. What fucking privilege.

go live you life being better than the rest of us.  Somehow the rest of us will survive.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Please move on. No one said that but you decided to take offense when none was offered. What fucking privilege.

go live you life being better than the rest of us.  Somehow the rest of us will survive.

There it is again. 

another poster said some people live to work. That’s another laced insult. 

im not better than anyone, I am more transparent than most here about my trials and triumphs that’s true. But better - no fucking way. Fuck off with that shit.  That’s projecting and gas lighting. 

y’all get the last word.  

@immamac if you want to delete some of the posts in this thread I get it. Their objections are understandable. I had stayed out of it and should have again. My mistake taking the bait - intended as such or not. They should have their thread in peace. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

There it is again. 

im not better than anyone, I am more transparent than most here about my trials and triumphs that’s true. But better - no fucking way. Fuck off with that shit.  That’s projecting and gas lighting. 

y’all get the last word.  

@immamac if you want to delete some of the posts in this thread I get it. Their objections are understandable. I had stayed out of it and should have again. My mistake taking the bait - intended as such or not. They should have their thread in peace. 

Man, fuck you.  Nothing I said was “bait”.  If somebody said “some people live to work” in the context of faulting anyone for pursuing what makes them happy then they are wrong and they are the ones who don’t “get it”.  But that was NOT what I said, in any way shape or form.  Yet you quoted my comment and then got childish.  And instead of acknowledging that you’re out of line, you half ass ask the mod to delete your comments.  That’s bullshit.

9 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Man, fuck you.  Nothing I said was “bait”.  If somebody said “some people live to work” in the context of faulting anyone for pursuing what makes them happy then they are wrong and they are the ones who don’t “get it”.  But that was NOT what I said, in any way shape or form.  Yet you quoted my comment and then got childish.  And instead of acknowledging that you’re out of line, you half ass ask the mod to delete your comments.  That’s bullshit.

I said your objections are understandable, I stayed out of it and should have again.   <— those were my exact words in the thread you quoted and insulted me about. So why don’t you re-read it and come at me again. 

my ask of immamac wasn’t chicken shit it was to allow your thread to be cleaned up. It was a gesture of goodwill. If you want it to stay as is, I’m fine with that. Folks who can’t FIRE need to know there is another secret out there - love your work because it means something. So delete or not I give not one fuck. 

So what more do you want?  I said you’re fucking right, snake diggity. Y’all should have your thread in peace. My personal issues from FIRE folks I’ve encountered is not for this thread. If statements I perceived as insults for working people weren’t meant that way then I got triggered when it wasn’t intended.  Jesus fucking Christ man.  YOU’RE RIGHT. 

Edited by troph

FIRE people ride their bikes on streets designed for cars, so fuck them.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Generalize much? I drive an Audi . Not some sort of brag, but rather to point out your comment shows much ignorance on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, troph said:

That’s bullshit troph - they are reacting to someone telling them FIRE is shit in the FIRE thread. They are not going into the boat thread or vacation thread and telling people they are wasting money. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My wife originally worked for an international bank but didnt have to pay taxes as she wasnt a US citizen. When we moved they kept her on and she worked remotely for the last 7 years but as a 1099. She became a US citizen in that time and went from paying no taxes to paying both employee and employer taxes. Well since covid, her bank has been moving more to remote work and 2 days ago they hired her as a full time employee with all benefits. This has alleviated so much of my stress since my job was our only way to get good medical insurance. Her insurance is now better than mine and she is taking our son and moving him to her bank's insurance plan which frees up 450 dollars a month for me. Together we net +300 a month with the change. She and I spoke again today and it looks like we will be moving to Mexico in about 26 months if our plan holds. We will keep our home here in Dallas and rent it out for a couple years and see how things go. She wants to work until she hits 65 and now there is a better path forward with her work and our family as her work employee contracts are for 5 years at a time. This will allow me to possibly go PRN remote with my job or just quit altogether once we move. I have a renewed sense of excitement about the near future and all the stress of being the primary provider with insurance is now gone. Was a good weekend. 

On a side note, is corporate housing a real thing? I was looking today and saw some people rent their homes out to companies for their employees. Seems like that would be a better option than interviewing families and dealing with all that shit every 12 months or so.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Wow, didn’t see this thread escalating like it has. There have been several negative shots taken at people who want to FIRE, and conversely it’s not fair to say that people who don’t want to FIRE are just materialistic. The reality is that both sides can’t understand what makes the other side happy.

It comes down to whether one loves their primary career much more than doing other things with their time and having more control over their time.  That’s it. That’s the difference.

Some people love their work and so they know they want to do it forever, no matter how much money they make or don’t make. Greg Popovich is an example of that.

There are others that want to spend a majority of their time not on their main career but on other things in life. 

Stop judging others.  None of you are the dictators of how to live one’s life. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

On a side note, is corporate housing a real thing? I was looking today and saw some people rent their homes out to companies for their employees. Seems like that would be a better option than interviewing families and dealing with all that shit every 12 months or so.

My employer has long-term leases on staff houses which are furnished apartments from private or corporate landlords.  They're meant to house staff on short term assignments, or rotational work, or more comfortable temp accommodation (vs hotel) while finalizing their final move.

I've stayed in a bunch of these around the world.  And employer has paid my rent/mortgage (via stipend) for over a decade now. 

But my real dream is to squat in a south american airbnb barrio until i get robbed of the skin off my back when they go through their cyclic bi-decade economic crises

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

My employer has long-term leases on staff houses which are furnished apartments from private or corporate landlords.  They're meant to house staff on short term assignments, or rotational work, or more comfortable temp accommodation (vs hotel) while finalizing their final move.

I've stayed in a bunch of these around the world.  And employer has paid my rent/mortgage (via stipend) for over a decade now. 

But my real dream is to squat in a south american airbnb barrio until i get robbed of the skin off my back when they go through their cyclic bi-decade economic crises

You can buy property pretty damn cheap in Medellin and Airbnb for stupid prices. The gringo scene is blowing up there and it's a huge destination for digital nomads.....among other things. We talk about it quite a bit in the expat group about how morons from Miami and other places are coming down and paying 2-3x what the airbnb should go for because its still cheaper for them...

Then to fit your political desires, they are having elections in May and a lot of people are worried the left is going to win and its going to become the next Venezuela. Add to that the Venezuelan crisis that sent millions of poor and starving Venezuelans into Colombia who are causing the majority of the problems.

I think Colombia fits exactly what you desire. I personally, would take in a couple Venezuelans...female...for humanitarian reasons of course. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad

1 hour ago, ATexanAbroad said:

I think Colombia fits exactly what you desire. I personally, would take in a couple Venezuelans...female...for humanitarian reasons of course. 

I was close to taking a stint in Bogota.  Very cool and largely overlooked place.  Great climate and food.  But I went somewhere else and butterfly effect and all, hard to want to take that decision back

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I was close to taking a stint in Bogota.  Very cool and largely overlooked place.  Great climate and food.  But I went somewhere else and butterfly effect and all, hard to want to take that decision back

Agree on the overlooked, but I think that is because the climate is not great. It is a very cloudy and chilly city that is huge. But I like it because it has the least tourist and a great underground scene once you get to know the city. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, troph said:

There it is again. 

y’all get the last word.  

On 2/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, Snake Diggity said:

whoa whoa whoa! i'm the one that said that, as part of a whole catchphrase: 'some people work to live and some people live to work'.

neither of those viewpoints is a veiled insult to anybody! wtf!

we've all heard it before, it's obviously just a saying contrasting two viewpoints...and i just looked back and i didn't even subscribe or respond to anyone in particular, i was in fact acknowledging that people can have very different views about life and what gives them meaning, including people that are passionate about their calling. i specifically said i don't feel sorry for people for that exact reason. 

gotdamn i didn't realize some actually felt insulted. sheesh.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking for ideas about health/dental insurance under the age of 65. 

I've looked around the Affordable Care Act website. Lots and lots of plans and it looks like you'll need to go above $1200 per month for something decent. As an example, a lot of plans offer free primary care visits but will only cover 25% of emergency room visits. That's a big potential expense if you go to the ER.

Anyone have any experience shopping around or purchasing plans for the 45 to 65 age group?

On 2/5/2022 at 1:53 PM, ATexanAbroad said:

I'm cheap because it allows me to put away a fuck ton more money that you can. 

It was this Rocko-esque comment that set @troph off.  I had the same eye-rolling reaction to it.  Are we gonna break out tax returns next?

Edited by Chewbacca

50 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It was this Rocko-esque comment that set @troph off.  I had the same eye-rolling reaction to it.  Are we gonna break out tax returns next?

Maybe you don’t understand the context. Someone can earn less than another person and save more. Isn’t that the part that makes you financially independent which this whole thread is about. He stated that he can buy whatever he wants with the money he makes but that’s not what fire is about.

11 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Maybe you don’t understand the context. Someone can earn less than another person and save more. Isn’t that the part that makes you financially independent which this whole thread is about. He stated that he can buy whatever he wants with the money he makes but that’s not what fire is about.

Maybe you don't understand that just because people like to spend money it doesn't mean they still don't save money as well.  Sometimes they save lots of it.  Sometimes even more than you.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:58 PM, UTGrad98 said:

My current company relocated me from Austin to Raleigh. Part of that was temporary housing for a couple of months while we figured out the area and bought a house. I think the entire relocation was managed by a company (“OneSource”) who assigned a point of contact to provide the moving, realtor, mortgage, etc and temporary corporate housing was part of that. I think the options were mostly apartments (but there were a few houses in the mix as well).  It was a corporate housing company managing that piece - no idea how that works exactly but we were in just a normal apartment complex, imagine whatever mid nice apartments near the arboretum.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Maybe you don't understand that just because people like to spend money it doesn't mean they still don't save money as well.  Sometimes they save lots of it.  Sometimes even more than you.

I’m a minimalist chasing an easy life. Of course there are people saving more than me.

but have you looked at the stats and do you know America? You know it isn’t the majority.

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

My current company relocated me from Austin to Raleigh. Part of that was temporary housing for a couple of months while we figured out the area and bought a house. I think the entire relocation was managed by a company (“OneSource”) who assigned a point of contact to provide the moving, realtor, mortgage, etc and temporary corporate housing was part of that. I think the options were mostly apartments (but there were a few houses in the mix as well).  It was a corporate housing company managing that piece - no idea how that works exactly but we were in just a normal apartment complex, imagine whatever mid nice apartments near the arboretum.

Ugh, my old company relocated me from Houston to Austin years ago. They used Cartus. That whole experience sucked. 

On 2/5/2022 at 4:43 PM, ATexanAbroad said:

I am in software. 

Did a little consulting FIRE stint there myself in the late 80s.  Alas, it ran its course and home (US) never seemed better.

1_VtHLxt6SJYCBdfSrWg88Uw-1.jpeg

2 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Did a little consulting FIRE stint there myself in the late 80s.  Alas, it ran its course and home (US) never seemed better.

1_VtHLxt6SJYCBdfSrWg88Uw-1.jpeg

That’s dope and what a time to be there. Where we are different is I would look at the Turkish Lira or Argie Peso and that’s where I would head.

I posted this a few days ago but it may have been lost in the Great FIRE War of 2022, so I'm reposting it:

Looking for ideas about health/dental insurance under the age of 65. 

I've looked around the Affordable Care Act website. Lots and lots of plans and it looks like you'll need to go above $1200 per month for something decent. As an example, a lot of plans offer free primary care visits but will only cover 25% of emergency room visits. That's a big potential expense if you go to the ER.

Anyone have any experience shopping around or purchasing plans for the 45 to 65 age group?