(Discussion) how surly is too surly? where does the line get drawn?

pretty simply question. for me, i feel like if there's a real-life tragedy happening, like a mass shooting, and someone comes in posting callously about it, then to me that's over the line, and not something that i personally want to be deemed acceptable for shaggy. if a shaggy poster suffers a family loss or is opening up about something personal and tragic, then it's obviously out of bounds to come in there talking shit it making jokes. but for most things that come up short of that? i think it's fair game.

to me, shaggy and then surly were founded specifically as places where people could say the type of maybe-distasteful, but not truly hateful or over the line things that other sites won't allow. that's the spirit of surly/shaggy to me. a place where, for example, anything that might be in an anthony jeselnik or a norm macdonald joke, goes. jon-benet ramsey, 9/11, natural disasters- its all fair game so long as the post/joke is made at the appropriate time and with a wink and a smile. so long as you aren't hatefully and maliciously trying to hurt someone or make light of a real-time tragedy, i'm ok with it. that's my two cents anyway.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:50 PM, shadow_operative said:

for me, i feel like if there's a real-life tragedy happening, like a mass shooting, and someone comes in posting callously about it, then to me that's over the line, and not something that i personally want to be deemed acceptable for shaggy.

What if someone, say, shoots up the OU coaching office?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 11:00 PM, Captain Ron said:

Pretty much this. Jesus, if you have to ask if you've crossed the line, maybe Surly is just too big of a place for you.

it's interesting that you, specifically, say this. i'm currently reading the varsity thread where Alec Baldwin accidentally shot someone to death, and the entire thread is jokes about the incident. that's what i've always thought of as the status quo around here. and yet when i made a joke about a guy who had a heart attack, survived, and is doing fine, you and others gave me the fuck you rep and said that it was over the line. are you seeing where my confusion stems from? 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

it's interesting that you, specifically, say this. i'm currently reading the varsity thread where Alec Baldwin accidentally shot someone to death, and the entire thread is jokes about the incident. that's what i've always thought of as the status quo around here. and yet when i made a joke about a guy who had a heart attack, survived, and is doing fine, you and others gave me the fuck you rep and said that it was over the line. are you seeing where my confusion stems from? 

For someone that has posted on here as long as you have, you really don't get this site at all.

First - IT'S NOT JUST YOU.

Surly and its predecessor are full of a lot of stuff that crosses the line, the only real question is does the comment/thread have the momentum to overall to let it go.

I haven't read the thread about Baldwin, nor do I care to. I can only imagine what is being said. And I would argue the bulk of it is over the line. But it's all in a thread about that specific incident, I'm sure it's gone from about 10 comments of serious discussion to comment after comment of jokes about it.

Does that make it right? No, it just means that everyone making jokes isn't likely to be called on it, there isn't enough Neg rep and its a waste of time because those piling on are all like +rep, +rep, +rep, that thread is going to be nothing but jokes now. But if there was a thread about acting/working in the entertainment industry, those jokes wouldn't fly there. Because they are having only the serious conversation. Make a joke, -rep, -rep, -rep.

Here's a great example: Find the thread title "WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free"
That entire thread is 15 pages of jokes basically the cyclists deserve it (literal quotes):
"I've always despised cyclists. Its nothing new to me."
"I still hate cyclists"
"I've wanted to do the same damn thing to a bunch of bikers"
"I can't fucking stand cyclists"
etc.
You post your jokes there, nothing. Those that tried to stem the tide gave up long ago or never even tried, because they knew exactly how that thread would go.

You post that on the Cyclist thread in hobbies, you bet your bottom dollar you're getting negged to Bolivia.

So yeah, you make a joke about a soccer player almost dying in a soccer game IN A SOCCER THREAD - you're gonna get negged. You want to joke about that, I'm sure there is a thread in the Daily Texan all about it joking about how he's probably faking it and how he was probably barely touched when he went down, his heart deserved a red card for that foul, etc. Make your jokes there. It doesn't fly in a thread of people who actually spent years watching that dude play and were genuinely worried about his well-being.

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Is this another thread where Derka bitches about how much he is persecuted on this site, but yet continues to post here?

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Or as we call it on Surly "every thread"

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

nobody has time to read a wall of text like that, jeez. ever heard of brevity? some people...

i·ro·ny1
/ˈīrənē/

noun
noun: irony
  1. Derka bitching about someone posting a wall of text

You want brevity, here: "Know your audience."

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

But you really want to know what? You get negged on this site - fucking deal with it.

So what? You said something that fell flat, move on. Don't cry about it. When I saw this thread and I knew EXACTLY what it was about I almost set an appointment with my eye doctor because this made my eyes roll so far back into my head.

You're bitching about two, TWO neg reps on a bad joke (or more to the point, the wrong joke with the wrong audience).

TWO

Not getting crowd-sourced, not getting a code red of neg rep. TWO negs because you weren't funny. Two negs that aren't going to do anything to your status on this site.

Yet we're the fucking problem.

• Hook 'Em 4

a)this thread isn't about you

b)lol at how upset you are 

and c)double lol at this post:

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

i·ro·ny1
/ˈīrənē/

noun
noun: irony
  1. Derka bitching about someone posting a wall of text

You want brevity, here: "Know your audience."

between your your giant walls of texts, you thinking everything is about you, and your unbridled rage, are you sure you aren't actually derka? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Seems like a decent enough place to tag @hayden_hornand ask him wtf bro. 

unless  there’s some hard and fast rule about referencing a politician by name outside of CR, I don’t think any action was warranted. 

if you are going to @ me, some kind of reference as to what you are talking about would be nice

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 2:02 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Seems like a decent enough place to tag @hayden_hornand ask him wtf bro. 

unless  there’s some hard and fast rule about referencing a politician by name outside of CR, I don’t think any action was warranted. 

Perhaps your use of “Ted I-want-to-rape-all-the-blind-babies-on-the -spectrum-for-Lucifer Cruz” was a bit much.  I can see both sides. 

I figure this is as good as thread as any to not derail the DT thread

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm about to put this whole fucking website on a timeout. I'm legitimately considering shutting down the site for the rest of the week. 

Genuinely, running a Texas football message board during not only a decade of dogshit football but also half a decade of remarkable polarization and radicalization has gotta be hell. I don't think there's anything wrong with just shutting surly down through memorial day. Just give everyone a break for a while.

Idk man, I get it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t know what this is about but there are some threads I just won’t click.  Anything relating to guns and/or shootings.

And yes, an extended vacation is sometimes what is needed.  I take off from reading surly for a week at a time during football season sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 3

Yep.  Typed out long response in Uvalde thread and deleted all of it.

Dialogue isn't necessarily being sought on some topics.  I get it.  I just read and go...

8 hours ago, slorch said:

Yep.  Typed out long response in Uvalde thread and deleted all of it.

Dialogue isn't necessarily being sought on some topics.  I get it.  I just read and go...

Yeah, it doesn't matter now that Daily Texan has been revamped into Wellstone Memorial 2.0 infinite.  

Notice that in the lass 24 hours imma has threatened to ban 2 of the very few posters who bother to regularly debate and confront the CR echo chamber?  Never let a crisis go to waste mode, I guess.

I gave IV some rep to try and help him last longer.  I see that Penelope has been serial negging a lot of his posts.  That was supposedly against the rules, but as usual, Democrats are often exempt.  Because, ya know, its another 'This issue is really too important."

Permaban for taking one of CR's favorite techniques and using it against the CR narrative.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 4

On 5/24/2022 at 10:34 PM, Captainant said:

I figure this is as good as thread as any to not derail the DT thread

Genuinely, running a Texas football message board during not only a decade of dogshit football but also half a decade of remarkable polarization and radicalization has gotta be hell. I don't think there's anything wrong with just shutting surly down through memorial day. Just give everyone a break for a while.

Idk man, I get it.

some people reap what they sow 

For all the idiosyncrasies and warts this community has, fuck shutting it down.

If you don't want to post, then don't post/ read.  Absolutely your choice.

A lot of good comes from Surly, despite some of our best efforts to the contrary, and by that I mean support/ dialogue/ sharing of ideas with each other.  The discussions can be cathartic.  There is a good portion of this board that is similar to a bar environment and many of us are regulars.

Don't let the shitheads win and shut down good things.  Fuck em.   Keep going.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:24 PM, clapclapclap said:

Yeah, it doesn't matter now that Daily Texan has been revamped into Wellstone Memorial 2.0 infinite.  

Notice that in the lass 24 hours imma has threatened to ban 2 of the very few posters who bother to regularly debate and confront the CR echo chamber?  Never let a crisis go to waste mode, I guess.

I gave IV some rep to try and help him last longer.  I see that Penelope has been serial negging a lot of his posts.  That was supposedly against the rules, but as usual, Democrats are often exempt.  Because, ya know, its another 'This issue is really too important."

Permaban for taking one of CR's favorite techniques and using it against the CR narrative.

Lulz.  I just was given a week off for explaining why your electricity rates are so high.  It is funny that the *President came out this week and said the same thing.

I don't hate it when I am right, but the mods and the CR folks do.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 4

21 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Lulz.  I just was given a week off for explaining why your electricity rates are so high.  It is funny that the *President came out this week and said the same thing.

I don't hate it when I am right, but the mods and the CR folks do.

Specifically what did you say?

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Specifically what did you say?

If I told you, the mods would have to kill you.  They didn't like my tone.  I knew it would get me a ban, but a week was a mod temper tantrum cause someone posted the truth. Truth is not looked at favorably by a certain group of posters that post in a certain area, about certain things.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

If I told you, the mods would have to kill you.  They didn't like my tone.  I knew it would get me a ban, but a week was a mod temper tantrum cause someone posted the truth. Truth is not looked at favorably by a certain group of posters that post in a certain area, about certain things.

I make no judgement either way - just trying to understand. This site is a very ugly place to be right now. A microcosm of the real world for sure.

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I make no judgement either way - just trying to understand. This site is a very ugly place to be right now. A microcosm of the real world for sure.

I will PM it to you.  Like I said, I knew it would get a ban.  I was going out of town anyway and would be busy, so I didn't really care.  But a week was just silly.  Especially since certain posters that post certain things in certain areas do it all the time without any consequences.  The bias is real.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 4

47 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

I will PM it to you.  Like I said, I knew it would get a ban.  I was going out of town anyway and would be busy, so I didn't really care.  But a week was just silly.  Especially since certain posters that post certain things in certain areas do it all the time without any consequences.  The bias is real.

I read your PM. It was factual, as I understand the business very well. The tone and mention of the administration caused your ban. I really don’t think either imma or BL are overly political if political at all. This Board is overwhelmingly left, or rather anti-right, and so your bias comment may be real, but who gives a shit. 

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

spacer.png

One of the biggest, most presumptuous cunts on this Board. 

26 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I read your PM. It was factual, as I understand the business very well. The tone and mention of the administration caused your ban. I really don’t think either imma or BL are overly political if political at all. This Board is overwhelmingly left, or rather anti-right, and so your bias comment may be real, but who gives a shit. 

One of the biggest, most presumptuous cunts on this Board. 

Cry, baby, cry.  You are so persecuted!   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1