(Discussion) how surly is too surly? where does the line get drawn?

• 1 month later...

A Congresswoman and several of her staffers were killed today in a head on collision.  About half of the usual CR regulars swarmed the DT thread to post approval of the deaths, because she wasn't a Democrat.

Those disgusting posts have been up 5 hours, but I assume that eventually the thread will be hidden in CR, because at least 1 mod will conclude that it's a really bad look for Surly.   

But we should note who made those posts and who gave all the approving rep.  It's about a third of the 2-3 dozen CR regulars who make the majority of posts in CR and hand out most of the neg rep there and on the site as a whole.  There is something very wrong with you if you are frequently wishing death on those who have a different political view. 

Seriously, much of the CR is now a Red Flag Room (this just spilled over, once again, into DT, but on a truly disgusting level).  The signs are there, and keep getting repeated over and over in numerous ways.

Fudge Nuggets with the Oh no. Anyways gif - approval rep from gengs1 and trauma babe

Ghost of LL = She voted not to impeach Trump. So,…. - approval from gengs1, dahobbs, diggleronthehoof, scheiss master, totallynotabuttpirate, hornonthebayou, trauma babe, degenerate gardner, crash davis, c-man

Gengs1 - My condolences will depend how far did she believe in the steal, gqp ranks etc - approval from hornonthebayou

South Austin - She also voted against certification of Biden’s election, but thoughts and prayers and such. - approval from dahobbs, ghost of ll, crash davis, chainsaw, trauma babe

Gengs1 - Rest in Piss… - approval from crash davis

conVINCEd - I’ll leave her out of my thoughts and prayers.  I have a finite amount of thoughts and prayers to give, and she doesn’t make the cut. - approval from diggleronthehoof

conVINCEd - When OJ dies should we not mention the little incident with his ex-wife?  Because it might hurt some people’s feelings?

Is this who you really are?  I hope you may reconsider if perhaps you've let politics consume you into too much unhealthy perpetual hatred.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

There is something very wrong with you if you are frequently wishing death on those who have a different political view. 

To be clear, I don’t wish death upon any politician who doesn’t share my beliefs, not even John Cronyn for his brisket that offends all humanity.

Perhaps the thread, involving the death of a political figure, should’ve been posted in Cloak Room in the first place. But I don’t think commenting on her political beliefs and voting records are out of line. When Donald Trump dies, you can bet there’s going to be a discussion about what a horrible person he was, politically and personally, not only on this site, but globally. And that’s perfectly fair.

Your actions follow to the grave, especially if you’re a political and public figure. If someone thinks the death of a politician is worthy of discussion to generate a thread on this site, it’s not out of bounds to mention her voting record as part of that conversation and whatever level of sympathy you might have for the passing of someone who fucked with American democracy. I’m not “approving” or clapclapclapping for her death (or the deaths of her staffers). But I’m not going to shy away from discussing how she aligned herself with Donald Trump. Some media outlets have also done this when reporting on her death.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

A Congresswoman and several of her staffers were killed today in a head on collision.  About half of the usual CR regulars swarmed the DT thread to post approval of the deaths, because she wasn't a Democrat.

Those disgusting posts have been up 5 hours, but I assume that eventually the thread will be hidden in CR, because at least 1 mod will conclude that it's a really bad look for Surly.   

But we should note who made those posts and who gave all the approving rep.  It's about a third of the 2-3 dozen CR regulars who make the majority of posts in CR and hand out most of the neg rep there and on the site as a whole.  There is something very wrong with you if you are frequently wishing death on those who have a different political view. 

Seriously, much of the CR is now a Red Flag Room (this just spilled over, once again, into DT, but on a truly disgusting level).  The signs are there, and keep getting repeated over and over in numerous ways.

Fudge Nuggets with the Oh no. Anyways gif - approval rep from gengs1 and trauma babe

Ghost of LL = She voted not to impeach Trump. So,…. - approval from gengs1, dahobbs, diggleronthehoof, scheiss master, totallynotabuttpirate, hornonthebayou, trauma babe, degenerate gardner, crash davis, c-man

Gengs1 - My condolences will depend how far did she believe in the steal, gqp ranks etc - approval from hornonthebayou

South Austin - She also voted against certification of Biden’s election, but thoughts and prayers and such. - approval from dahobbs, ghost of ll, crash davis, chainsaw, trauma babe

conVINCEd - I’ll leave her out of my thoughts and prayers.  I have a finite amount of thoughts and prayers to give, and she doesn’t make the cut. - approval from diggleronthehoof

conVINCEd - When OJ dies should we not mention the little incident with his ex-wife?  Because it might hurt some people’s feelings?

Is this who you really are?  I hope you may reconsider if perhaps you've let politics consume you into too much unhealthy perpetual hatred.

You can not possibly believe for even a moment that you have even the faintest glimmer of credibility when it comes to your little sanctimonious act here can you?

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

10 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

d59a6a952d499c91041843ff23645444.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

You have too much time on your hands. Consider a hobby or something. It's unhealthy to let what people post on the internet trigger you this much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Nope.  Anonymous people are cunts on the internet, news at 5

Something would help me really quickly decide whether I should care about this….

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Some posters on here went to the wrong fucking school. In hindsight, I bet they wished they would've gone to aggy and that surly was more accepting of their MAGAT bullshit.

If this post hurts your feelings, go post on texaggy. You'll fit right in with others of your ilk.

There are still more GOP alums than Dems. Believe it or not. But I’m not gonna cry over a CR thread. Until further notice. 

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Who's sock or reincarnation is cornpop? He's got too much vinegar to be a new poster

Your Mom’s. 

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Who's sock or reincarnation is cornpop? He's got too much vinegar to be a new poster

same behavior as immortal and came online right after 4doorsmorewhores disappeared.  pretty clearly that deranged dipshit.

almost as amusing...cheeseweasel is following him around everywhere like a puppy trying to prop him up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Captainant said:

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

same behavior as immortal and came online right after 4doorsmorewhores disappeared.  pretty clearly that deranged dipshit.

almost as amusing...cheeseweasel is following him around everywhere like a puppy trying to prop him up.

This is my theory.  

• Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

This whole diatribe reeks of the Aggy arguments about being classy.  Go post elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

24 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I'll believe it. Certainly curious how you know this, though. 

Well, pre January 6th, 2021. Maybe not anymore. 

Please for the love of God, someone provide a photo to tell me what side of this I fall on. 

7 hours ago, sidis said:

You can not possibly believe for even a moment that you have even the faintest glimmer of credibility when it comes to your little sanctimonious act here can you?

I am reminded about his extreme concern about violence perpetuated by the left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm of the opinion that just about every politician should die a horrible death, but you can't tell me that if it had been a Democrat, and the usual suspects had shown up in a DT thread dunking all over it, that that shit wouldn't have been moved to the Cloak Room immediately.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm of the opinion that just about every politician should die a horrible death, but you can't tell me that if it had been a Democrat, and the usual suspects had shown up in a DT thread dunking all over it, that that shit wouldn't have been moved to the Cloak Room immediately.  

Nah. I don’t care about really any Democrat. Only a handful of politicians make my blood boil, and they are on my “side”. This lady was an unknown to me. Seems like she was unknown to people here, too, who quickly searched her voting history. I mean I guess it’s fair game particularly in today’s overly polarized state of politic. I happen to think it’s pathetic, and wouldn’t do it on the other side, but we easily fall victim to societal pitfalls. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Nah. I don’t care about really any Democrat. Only a handful of politicians make my blood boil, and they are on my “side”. This lady was an unknown to me. Seems like she was unknown to people here, too, who quickly searched her voting history. I mean I guess it’s fair game particularly in today’s overly polarized state of politic. I happen to think it’s pathetic, and wouldn’t do it on the other side, but we easily fall victim to societal pitfalls. 

I'm giving a final exam at 2pm tomorrow.  If somehow/someway Ted Cruz dies in a fiery car wreck before 2pm tomorrow, I'm giving every one of my students a 100 and drinking heavily the rest of the day.  If that's a societal pitfall, then so be it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm giving a final exam at 2pm tomorrow.  If somehow/someway Ted Cruz dies in a fiery car wreck before 2pm tomorrow, I'm giving every one of my students a 100 and drinking heavily the rest of the day.  If that's a societal pitfall, then so be it.

I don’t think he’s an evil guy. I don’t like him, and have some personal experience. He’s a nice enough guy in person, but he’s a snake and an attention whore. Just like most politicians. He pales in comparison to some of his idiot brethren in the House. If those guys pass away, I’d expect threads like today. If the leader passes away, I actually celebrate. 

On 8/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, clapclapclap said:

clapclapclap, can you please update your scoreboard? I got some more rep since this post.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

There are still more GOP alums than Dems. Believe it or not. But I’m not gonna cry over a CR thread. Until further notice. 

Your Mom’s. 

Curious about your source on alumni affiliation.  When I graduated in the 90 s I would have solidly agreed but since the last six or seven years I’ve seen a big swing the other way, myself and close friends included. 

You actually took the time to tally up the rep on those posts and who gave it

YARN | Don't you have homes? | Caddyshack (1980) | Video gifs by quotes |  111899f1 | 紗

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Cry more, bitch.

Seems to me public figures can and should be treated differently. The law protects them less from negative speech due to the importance of free speech. This isn’t a government space but I think the same idea applies.

I loathe a lot of you discriminating types and you know who you are - kindness toward you is gone - trying to convince you of the full spectrum of humanity is a waste of fucking time and I think your moral character and failure to come around is grotesque - but wishing death on a private person or cruelly making fun of them is wrong. I won’t do it. I think celebrating death or injury of a public figure is bad form but crossing a line? Nope.

I think the line here is or should be (1) wishing injury or death to a poster, (2) doxxing a poster, (3) making general slurs about groups of people or making personal insults that are racist, homophobic, transphobic, or antisemitic, (4) supporting the overthrow of the government, the establishment of Christian fascism and espousing conspiracy theories such as Q nonsense, and (5) excessive and clear trolling. 

There are places all over the internet where those behaviors are tolerated. A virtual water cooler or virtual happy hour spot for alumni of The University of Texas and our friends should not be one of them. There should be permanent IP bans for serial offenders.  

The fact that ANYONE here would find that objectionable is deplorable. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1