World’s Most Hated Fast Food Chains

atomheartbevo

On 10/11/2021 at 1:52 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

The whackadoodle menu at Taco Bell confuses me. I go there for cheap burritos or tacos... Why do they try to impress me with creativity? I'm not there for creativity, I'm there for cheap knockoffs of Mexican-ish fast food. Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite places to drop 5 bucks, but I don't understand their marketing even a little bit.

The last time I gave Taco Bell one more try, I'd not previously eaten at one for about 6 or 7 years. This was last year in August and late at night. I'd been driving all day and didn't feel like making something at home. I got what I usually do, the basics. I think it was 4 crunchy beef tacos and 3 bean burritos. It came out to about $12. The tacos had what seemed to be about a teaspoon of bland meat stuff, a few strands of tasteless lettuce and cheese, and the bean burritos some watery bean sauce. It was neither pleasant to eat nor was I full when done. Never again.

So, I'm curious, just what is it you and others get when you talk about dropping $5 at Taco Bell, because seems like you're quoting 20 year old prices or eat like birds. I used to like Taco Bell, but their corporate bean counters have ensured I won't patronize them again.

And while I'm at it, the same can be said for Taco Cabana.

44 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

The last time I gave Taco Bell one more try, I'd not previously eaten at one for about 6 or 7 years. This was last year in August and late at night. I'd been driving all day and didn't feel like making something at home. I got what I usually do, the basics. I think it was 4 crunchy beef tacos and 3 bean burritos. It came out to about $12. The tacos had what seemed to be about a teaspoon of bland meat stuff, a few strands of tasteless lettuce and cheese, and the bean burritos some watery bean sauce. It was neither pleasant to eat nor was I full when done. Never again.

So, I'm curious, just what is it you and others get when you talk about dropping $5 at Taco Bell, because seems like you're quoting 20 year old prices or eat like birds. I used to like Taco Bell, but their corporate bean counters have ensured I won't patronize them again.

Sounds like you were completely sober. That was your mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Bell slowly went downhill over the years.  Cabana fell off a fucking cliff 5 or 6 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Very true about TC. They made the list. I think I last had it 2-3 years ago. Not going back.

Maybe it was this thread, but as I've said before, I've never had a good experience going inside a TC, but I won't give up on them until the day their tortillas and queso handed to me through a drive-thru window aren't pretty decent. 

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

4 tacos and 3 bean burritos didn't fill you up?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, dcbc said:

Maybe it was this thread, but as I've said before, I've never had a good experience going inside a TC, but I won't give up on them until the day their tortillas and queso handed to me through a drive-thru window aren't pretty decent. 

I require a certain level of sanitation in an establishment that prepares my food.  The TCs around me fell below that threshold a while back. They received multiple chances to improve and failed to do so.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I require a certain level of sanitation in an establishment that prepares my food.  The TCs around me fell below that threshold a while back. They received multiple chances to improve and failed to do so.

That's why I don't go inside. :)

Cross-post to the Could you live in a Small Town thread, our T/C closed down years ago after someone was shot there.

Team Two Pesos

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, sith_horn said:

1,730 calories didn't fill you up? Are you a massive fat ass? 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That's why I don't go inside. :)

Cross-post to the Could you live in a Small Town thread, our T/C closed down years ago after someone was shot there.

Team Two Pesos

Once you seent it, it can’t be unseent.  Your shitty mom and pop gas station in Bumfuck, Louisiana that still has the reusable cloth towel on a loop has better sanitary practices than the TC by my house the last few times I was there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Bell slowly went downhill over the years.  Cabana fell off a fucking cliff 5 or 6 years ago.

Agree on both counts.

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

4 tacos and 3 bean burritos didn't fill you up?

Maybe you didn't read it that closely, but you could have used those tacos for bookmarks, and the bean burritos weren't much more than tortillas with bean sauce that could have been spread on with a butterknife like making a sandwich.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

Some people actually burn the calories they consume.

Edited by sith_horn

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Agree on both counts.

Maybe you didn't read it that closely, but you could have used those tacos for bookmarks, and the bean burritos weren't much more than tortillas with bean sauce that could have been spread on with a butterknife like making a sandwich.

Are you Michael Phelps?

• Haha 2

Cabana started their downward slide when they took the grilled chicken off the menu. Then it was getting rid of the fajitas and eggs platter which was a fantastic hangover cure. Then they got rid of the salsa bar and kept only the shittiest of the salsas. Now, the final straw is they switched to being a Pepsi restaurant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Agree on both counts.

Sure....a half marathon would do the trick here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, royiv said:

When I’m in maintenance mode, my dinner is about 2500 calories, depending on how much I eat before and after the gym on lifting days. Just massive, no longer a fat ass. And non-sedentary. 

Edit: Unless I’m having Tex-Mex. Then I skip the rest of the day and go all in with 3800 or so.

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Sure....a half marathon would do the trick here.

Or moving some iron along with some high intensity body weight circuits with some longer runs mixed in on off days might as well. About five or six years ago while doing field sprints, a younger guy less than half my age tried to race me on the latter half of my workout. He looked a little surprised and sheepish coming in second. He had about 4 inches on me in height with an athletic build.

But my thighs won't fit in any skinny jeans, that's for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Taco Casa fills the Taco Bell void nicely if you have one near you.  Cheap, decent, and quick.  Rosa’s fills the Taco Cabana void nicely as well. A step above for a buck or two more.

Rosa’s slams. Much better than any Taco C meal I’ve ever had. 

Taco C’s ground beef tacos are actually pretty good. They use a real fried corn shell, and the meat is seasoned well/decent quality. 

I guess their tortillas and queso are solid if you need to scratch that itch. 

I think Burger King is the correct answer here. I’ve never ate anything memorable or noteworthy there. Just greasy shit to get you to your next meal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, sith_horn said:

That's a terrible Taco Bell order. It's like you're intentionally trying to not like it. 

Everything that they sell a la carte is overpriced (more so than other fast food places) - and the dollar menu (or whatever it's called) stuff generally isn't very good. The way to go is get a combo meal that has a few decent items in it. The cheesy gordita crunch is still good. The beefy 5 layer burrito is still decent. They concoct various multi-layered, Mexican-themed fast food items that aren't bad. They had a grilled cheese burrito at one point that was pretty good.

Bullshit like this is what im referring to:

Screenshot_20230315_185450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7225735a8263b9b288d858c2f22a297d.jpg

You'll get similar calories for cheaper and it will suck less (oh and be sure to get some stupid fucking soda you never drink to complete the experience). Maybe once every couple months I get a Taco Bell craving - long enough to where it seems like the menu has always changed slightly - so I'm always relearning how to navigate ordering.

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Taco Casa fills the Taco Bell void nicely if you have one near you.  Cheap, decent, and quick.  Rosa’s fills the Taco Cabana void nicely as well. A step above for a buck or two more.

Taco Bueno ain't bad either.  It's not exactly cheap though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Cabana started their downward slide when they took the grilled chicken off the menu. Then it was getting rid of the fajitas and eggs platter which was a fantastic hangover cure. Then they got rid of the salsa bar and kept only the shittiest of the salsas. Now, the final straw is they switched to being a Pepsi restaurant.

But the tortillas and queso are still decent.  Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess their tortillas and queso are solid if you need to scratch that itch.

jack-nicholson-creepy-smile.gif

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That's a terrible Taco Bell order. It's like you're intentionally trying to not like it. 

Everything that they sell a la carte is overpriced (more so than other fast food places) - and the dollar menu (or whatever it's called) stuff generally isn't very good. The way to go is get a combo meal that has a few decent items in it. The cheesy gordita crunch is still good. The beefy 5 layer burrito is still decent. They concoct various multi-layered, Mexican-themed fast food items that aren't bad. They had a grilled cheese burrito at one point that was pretty good.

Bullshit like this is what im referring to:

Screenshot_20230315_185450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7225735a8263b9b288d858c2f22a297d.jpg

You'll get similar calories for cheaper and it will suck less (oh and be sure to get some stupid fucking soda you never drink to complete the experience). Maybe once every couple months I get a Taco Bell craving - long enough to where it seems like the menu has always changed slightly - so I'm always relearning how to navigate ordering.

If they still have them, the fried chicken tacos were a miscommunicated order surprise in the best way.

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Taco Bueno ain't bad either.  It's not exactly cheap though.

When was the last time you had Taco Bueno?  It’s gone the way of TC.  Cost increases have killed fast food places that are trying to find a balance between price and quality.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

When was the last time you had Taco Bueno?  It’s gone the way of TC.  Cost increases have killed fast food places that are trying to find a balance between price and quality.

A month or so ago.  The one near me is nice and clean inside and the food is consistently fine or better.  I didn't grow up going there though.  So my frame of reference is just the last decade or so.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Instead of going to Taco Bell, just get a can of refried beans, a can of wolf brand chili, a pack of shredded Mexican blend cheese, a pack of flour tortillas, and a pack of crunchy corn taco shells.  With those items and a microwave, you can make the whole Taco Bell menu and it will taste much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Instead of going to Taco Bell, just get a can of refried beans, a can of wolf brand chili, a pack of shredded Mexican blend cheese, a pack of flour tortillas, and a pack of crunchy corn taco shells.  With those items and a microwave, you can make the whole Taco Bell menu and it will taste much better.

Ken: "I was hot and I was hungry, okay!"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I don't get the hate for Papa John's in this thread. Maybe we're just lucky that the franchise nearest us is the fuckin bomb.

I wouldn't call it the "fuckin bomb" but every Papa John's pizza I've ever had was better than Domino's or post 2000 Pizza Hut.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wouldn't call it the "fuckin bomb" but every Papa John's pizza I've ever had was better than Domino's or post 2000 Pizza Hut.

Something happened like... the last 3 times we went there, and it was somehow amazing. It's almost always GOOD, mind you, but it's like they got actually good for a few visits. They're back to normal, now, which is still good enough.

Even my wife, the incredibly picky eater, was commenting on it.

Just now, Rimbo said:

Something happened like... the last 3 times we went there, and it was somehow amazing. It's almost always GOOD, mind you, but it's like they got actually good for a few visits. They're back to normal, now, which is still good enough.

Even my wife, the incredibly picky eater, was commenting on it.

I've always appreciate the pepperoncinis and packets of garlic grease for crust dipping.

But honestly, I bet it's been 10-12 years since I've eaten a Papa John's pizza.  It looks like the closest one to where I live is 70 miles away, but it was a very common 2AM option when I was in Ames.

I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but this thread needs a shout out to the glory of old Pizza Huts.  I'm talking late 80's/early 90's when it was pizza parlor style.  You had the salad bar, the lights over the table, a few video game machines, a juke box, and the pizzas always came out in cast iron pans.

Our county seat town (where my grandparents lived) had one and I can still smell it in my mind.  God damn, those were some glorious pies, and the modern iteration doesn't deserve to share it's name.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've always appreciate the pepperoncinis and packets of garlic grease for crust dipping.

But honestly, I bet it's been 10-12 years since I've eaten a Papa John's pizza.  It looks like the closest one to where I live is 70 miles away, but it was a very common 2AM option when I was in Ames.

There are some actual good pizza joints here and there. There's a Chicago deep dish place nearby, and a middle eastern market (really? really!) that makes some amazing stuff. And Pizza Port is the stuff of surfing legend (and GREAT in house beers, too!).

But in general, Southern Cal is a desert for good pizza. It's all Domino's, Papa John's, Costco. (Nobody does Pizza Hut any more.) So it's surprising when any of those are good. And frankly, they ARE good. All three. At least, the ones near me are. Sometimes, the franchise model works out well that way.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but this thread needs a shout out to the glory of old Pizza Huts.  I'm talking late 80's/early 90's when it was pizza parlor style.  You had the salad bar, the lights over the table, a few video game machines, a juke box, and the pizzas always came out in cast iron pans.

Our county seat town (where my grandparents lived) had one and I can still smell it in my mind.  God damn, those were some glorious pies, and the modern iteration doesn't deserve to share it's name.

It's worth mentioning again. I was about to write a screed on this myself as well, but you beat me to it.

So sad what they've become.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

There are some actual good pizza joints here and there. There's a Chicago deep dish place nearby, and a middle eastern market (really? really!) that makes some amazing stuff. And Pizza Port is the stuff of surfing legend (and GREAT in house beers, too!).

But in general, Southern Cal is a desert for good pizza. It's all Domino's, Papa John's, Costco. (Nobody does Pizza Hut any more.) So it's surprising when any of those are good. And frankly, they ARE good. All three. At least, the ones near me are. Sometimes, the franchise model works out well that way.

It's worth mentioning again. I was about to write a screed on this myself as well, but you beat me to it.

So sad what they've become.

This is kind of surprising given how many options exist in southern California.  Maybe it just gets lost in the shuffle. 

One thing that's always surprised me about the rural Midwest, and specifically northeast Iowa, is how good the pizza is.  I've had pizza in NYC.  I've had in Chicago.  I wouldn't say there's a unique style here, but it's legitimately above average on a national level in a way that nothing else except basic meat stuff (burgers, chops, steak, tenderloins) is around here.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Maybe unpopular opinion: Pizza Hut didn’t really get worse, your taste got better. 

I say that as a fanatic of 80s and 90s Pixza Hut, I read so many damn books for the free personal pan pizza. I think they maybe tweaked their sauce a bit, but other than that—that shit is the SAME. You can still order pan style and they make it in the same pan. 

You remember it as awesome because if you were alive in Anytown, USA, Pizza Hut was the nicest “night out” place a middle class family went. Pizza was good enough for the grownups, arcade was small and not so loud, they had a salad bar, you sit down and order. It was kind of a real restaurant but the kids are happy. And it really wasn’t that cheap. 

When Applebees and Chilis and Olive Garden came to Anytown, they grabbed that “twice a month restaurant treat” demo because let’s be real, those places aren’t good but they’re better than Pizza Hut for mom and dad and kids are still happy and welcome there. Pizza Hut HAD to turn to more fast food, cheap style because that’s the only direction they could go but the pizza is exactly the same. And it does suck that they lost the salad bar and booths and brass fixings but that shit wasn’t gonna bring back the middle of the week “mom’s tired” crowd from Applebees. 

the demise of Taco Cabana and Whataburger (many locations) is still a shock to me.

In my mid 20s, I was a paid, secret shopper at Whataburger. There was a list of expectations from the staff. I can't recall them all but it was in what the staff said and acted. One example was folding the bag before handing it to you. that was a requirement.  Nowadays they seem to let the window clerk decide for themselves how to act. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

During COVID, when Whataburger had adopted the curbside service, I ordered breakfast to be picked up curbside. I sat there for 15 minutes, waiting for my food. They weren't busy. I saw maybe two cars go through the drive thru, and the indoor was closed. I finally drove around to the drive through window, asking if they had my food. The employee responded that, for their safety, they were allowed to provide curbside service while it was dark outside. The sun had been up for almost an hour. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

During COVID, when Whataburger had adopted the curbside service, I ordered breakfast to be picked up curbside. I sat there for 15 minutes, waiting for my food. They weren't busy. I saw maybe two cars go through the drive thru, and the indoor was closed. I finally drove around to the drive through window, asking if they had my food. The employee responded that, for their safety, they were allowed to provide curbside service while it was dark outside. The sun had been up for almost an hour. 

so they were allowed to take your order and money but not deliver the food. 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Maybe unpopular opinion: Pizza Hut didn’t really get worse, your taste got better. 

I say that as a fanatic of 80s and 90s Pixza Hut, I read so many damn books for the free personal pan pizza. I think they maybe tweaked their sauce a bit, but other than that—that shit is the SAME. You can still order pan style and they make it in the same pan. 

You remember it as awesome because if you were alive in Anytown, USA, Pizza Hut was the nicest “night out” place a middle class family went. Pizza was good enough for the grownups, arcade was small and not so loud, they had a salad bar, you sit down and order. It was kind of a real restaurant but the kids are happy. And it really wasn’t that cheap. 

When Applebees and Chilis and Olive Garden came to Anytown, they grabbed that “twice a month restaurant treat” demo because let’s be real, those places aren’t good but they’re better than Pizza Hut for mom and dad and kids are still happy and welcome there. Pizza Hut HAD to turn to more fast food, cheap style because that’s the only direction they could go but the pizza is exactly the same. And it does suck that they lost the salad bar and booths and brass fixings but that shit wasn’t gonna bring back the middle of the week “mom’s tired” crowd from Applebees. 

Holy hell, do I feel seen right now.

In general, there's some truth in your post.  I remember thinking Applebee's and Olive Garden were good, because they were national chains that I saw referenced on TV, and because I never had good Italian until I lived in an actual city.

But I've never seen a crust from a modern Pizza Hut get that slight char on the edge where it turns up and a little cheese gets out there.  I also think the crust is chewier and not in a good way.  Maybe it's just in my head, but at the end of the day it's still real to me, damn it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Domino's is surprisingly good these days.  They changed the crust and it added a lot of flavor.  

I had Domino's while shitfaced about 3-4 years ago and it was definitely better than it was in the 00's, but that's kind of the pizza floor in my mind.

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I had Domino's while shitfaced about 3-4 years ago and it was definitely better than it was in the 00's, but that's kind of the pizza floor in my mind.

for certain.  We order it sometimes when the kids have friend over or parties.  If the adults eat pizza it is Mr. Jim's or I make some myself.