World’s Most Hated Fast Food Chains

atomheartbevo

Growing up in Huntsville we had Picadilly and Britlings cafeterias. One of the Britlings was next door to the largest Baptist church. More than one other church played the BBB game - a minister described it as - we end the sermon at 10:45 to Beat the Baptists to Britlings.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/17/2023 at 1:29 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, undoubtedly.

When I was in college we’d show up at Little Caesar’s at 10AM on Thursday of March Madness and tailgate in the parking lot (ISU fans will tailgate literally any event) until they opened at 10:30 and buy like 8 Hot N Ready’s to sustain us through a multi day hoops bender.

Whoa--get a look at Daddy Motherfucking Warbucks over here.

I would've killed for Little Caesar's in college.  For me, it was all Gumby's or [shudder] Pizza Classics.

Ugh--Just thinking about Pizza Classics makes me want to throw up a little.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

I would've killed for Little Caesar's in college.  For me, it was all Gumby's or [shudder] Pizza Classics.

Gumby’s was better than Little Caesars.  Pizza Classics probably wasn’t.  Half price pepperoni roll day at Double Dave’s was always a winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'd kill for a dozen Gumby's pizza rolls right about now. 

Don’t knock The Chef. A staple of my childhood, I’ve introduced it to my daughter. She’s a fan and will often request we make it. The sauce that comes with the kit still slams, and fresh-grated mozzarella over the bagged stuff takes it up a few notches. 
3D24598B-009A-4D0F-A537-580E063F4DA0.thumb.jpeg.83cc5b53b55d073199cb3da629c6a26a.jpeg

You’re cheating. Of course it’s great with real cheese and extra stuff. I’m talking straight from the box crust mix. Mater sauce. The grated “parm”. Nothing else. Other kids saw it as a treat. My parents fed me original kickass Pizza Hut thin crust.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'll set the scene/mood for you

Imagine you just sat through a really boring sermon about something that went completely over your head as you sat in the pew in uncomfortable clothes when it's 100 degrees in early October. The day before you just saw Baylor get skullfucked by UNT on their way to their 10th losing season in a row and all you have left is to watch the aging Dallas Cowboys who are now just a shell of their former selves. You knew that after that it was Monday where some neanderthal coach was going to make your life a living hell all day because you lost a junior high football game the week before. Your day/life is pretty shitty, but suddenly you arrive at the mall parking lot and go into the special cafeteria entrance where a blast of AC hits you in the face and a sweet old black lady loads you up an order of Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes (brown gravy), Mac & Cheese, fruit salad, a dinner roll, and chocolate icebox pie. 

It turned out that there was a point to life after all.

Norman Rockwell should paint this on a tapestry and it should be hung in the Smithsonian American Art Museum .

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Those Southern cafeteria type places are something I have zero frame of reference towards.  Always struck me as odd, but I suppose if I'd have grown up with it I'd view it different.

It’s a place where nearly all us Texans ate at with grandparents and could get mashed potatoes and jell-o and be home for them to watch wheel of fortune
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gumby’s was better than Little Caesars.  Pizza Classics probably wasn’t.  Half price pepperoni roll day at Double Dave’s was always a winner.

Pappy’s was better than both. I think they closed because of tax evasion or some such shit. Summer of 1995 I must have had 20 large pepperoni pizzas from there for $5 each.

7 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yes, it was like Luby's except both better and worse.

Interesting, both better and worse ...

Never ate at a Picadilly. In DFW, it was Wyatt's Cafeteria for our family. On rare occasion a Luby's or Furr's. But Pop seemed to prefer Wyatt's which was fine by me. My usual was chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn or green beans, a dinner roll and I was a slut for pie (whichever took my fancy that day). But apple pie was a favorite along with pecan pie, cheese cake or the chocolate pie you mentioned. Also loved the fried fish. Much prefer the model of cart ladies as opposed to having waitresses like Luby's does now.

Edited by sith_horn
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

We had a Gumby’s in Ames.  I once survived a weekend by consuming only Natty Ice and foraged Pokey sticks.

8 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Interesting, both better and worse ...

Never ate at a Picadilly. In DFW, it was Wyatt's Cafeteria for our family. On rare occasion a Luby's or Furr's. But Pop seemed to prefer Wyatt's which was fine by me. My usual was chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn or green beans, a dinner roll and I was a slut for pie (whichever took my fancy that day). But apple pie was a favorite along with pecan pie, cheese cake or the chocolate pie you mentioned. Also loved the fried fish. Much prefer the model of cart ladies as opposed to having waitresses like Luby's does now.

Wyatt’s or, or a good day, the Colonial Cafeteria on Berry by TCU. 

12 hours ago, Underdog said:

Ultimate cheeseburger from Jack was my go to. 

Mine too. Then they changed it from having just mayo on it, to mayo, mustard and ketchup. For some reason just mayo and no veggies worked on this burger. I liked to get the ultimate cheeseburger and 2 tacos instead of fries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Another cafeteria I wasn't aware of. Definitely miss cafeterias. Alas, not enough others felt the same. Have eaten at Luby's on occasion to satisfy the craving but just not what they once were. And the last time I walked out after seeing how small they had shrunk their meat portions to along with pre-made salads not to my liking.

4 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

There was a Colonial Cafeteria on E. Park Row in Arlington.  I was 5 years old and it was the first time my old Pops took me out to eat along with his his new wife after my mom died.  It was 1968. 

To this day I remember my dad saying “if you get out of your chair or make a sound I’ll kill you.”  

And he meant it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

There was a Colonial Cafeteria on E. Park Row in Arlington.  I was 5 years old and it was the first time my old Pops took me out to eat along with his his new wife after my mom died.  It was 1968. 

To this day I remember my dad saying “if you get out of your chair or make a sound I’ll kill you.”  

And he meant it. 

I went out to eat with my best friend, his older brother and their dad when we were in our 20's. His dad played pro football and i was terrified of him when I was a little kid. Some kids from a neighboring table were running around and screaming.

Friend's older brother to his dad "That's how we acted when we were little."

Dad: "I would have beat your ass to a pulp if you acted like that" 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, po elvis said:

Mine too. Then they changed it from having just mayo on it, to mayo, mustard and ketchup. For some reason just mayo and no veggies worked on this burger. I liked to get the ultimate cheeseburger and 2 tacos instead of fries.

Sorry to hear that, was never a mayo on burger fan but that always worked for me at Jack's. 

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

I went out to eat with my best friend, his older brother and their dad when we were in our 20's. His dad played pro football and i was terrified of him when I was a little kid. Some kids from a neighboring table were running around and screaming.

At least they had a chance at living.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

If you really want be be terrified of a former pro football player, I would like to introduce you to one of my grandfather’s best friends when I was growing up.  Went over to his house when I was something like 8, and his lab puppy bit me.  No medical attention needed.  He took that dog out back and shot it.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:29 PM, deadshank said:

And he meant it. 

When I was about 11 or so I went with my friend and his dad to their deer lease outside Llano. We stopped at the Big Wheel in Oak Hill for breakfast.  His dad was an old, crotchety man, like almost 60 at the time.  And bald.  My friend was trying to squeeze butter out of one of those plastic containers onto his pancakes, misjudged his squeeze power.  The butter ejected with a pop, flew up and landed on his dads bald head.  We sat there in deathly silence watching that little pat of butter slide down his dads sweaty bald pate, waiting for him to kill us.  He calmly reached up with his napkin and wiped it off, and said “use your damned knife next time boy, or I will.”

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Haha 1