The Book of Boba Fett- Disney+ show starting December 29

mdmost

Listening to Kevin Smiths Fatman in Batman, Marc Bernardin brought up points I struggled with early and again now that I stopped to think about it:

Why is Boba not more bad ass? He doesn’t seem to be a great tactician and he with a few exceptions, his fighting didn’t seem that impressive.

Also, Why does Boba Fett want to be leader of the Underworld? Maybe I need to watch the series again.

Was it Money? He says he has plenty of credits. He could just raid jabbas spoils and get out of town.
Is it Just because he can?
Is this his retirement plan or does he want power?

What does he want to do with the power? Make a better world for fellow bounty hunters?
Does this position allow him to prevent people from hunting Tuscans (his surrogate family)?

Did his near death experience change his moral compass and now he wants to protect the city because only he can?

I don’t think they did a good job giving me a reason to get behind Boba.

When he needed to raise an army, why not go to the Tuscans (other clans) and bring them down on the Pikes. Promise them a steady cut from the in town business especially after Cad Bane mentions who was responsible for slaughtering his old friends.

I saw how this final episode was the culmination of a Seven Samurai (magnificent seven) type of journey where everyone had a reason to get involved in turning away the bandits that are going to ruin the town, but they didn’t really show us the villagers in fear.

And what was up with Fennig leaving the fight to go slaughter people when that wasn’t a time dependent activity. They could have used her during the fight. Surely he could have called her back quicker than it took to go grab a Rancor. Then they could both go and slaughter the leaders of the clans.

How much more bad ass would Boba have been if he showed up to beat the shit out of them in that little room the same way Darth Vader tossed the resistant fighters on the ship at the end of Rogue One.

My kid started a rewatch of The Mandalorian today. Presumably to purge TBOBF from her memory. I caught the fight at the end of E1 and it blows away the Boba Fett finale. It’s not a budget thing at all. The pacing, editing, fight choreography, acting, etc are just so much better. I think it really demonstrates that Rodriguez was about 80% of the problem.

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My kid started a rewatch of The Mandalorian today. Presumably to purge TBOBF from her memory. I caught the fight at the end of E1 and it blows away the Boba Fett finale. It’s not a budget thing at all. The pacing, editing, fight choreography, acting, etc are just so much better. I think it really demonstrates that Rodriguez was about 80% of the problem.

This is odd considering the episode the Rodriguez did in Mando season 2 was some of the best action in the Mando series. The fight up and down the hillside and the Boba stuff in that one were great.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This is odd considering the episode the Rodriguez did in Mando season 2 was some of the best action in the Mando series. The fight up and down the hillside and the Boba stuff in that one were great.

That makes me laugh too. His episode of Mando was so good

The story was whatever, but my complaint is that it just didn’t feel like Star Wars. If you hadn’t had Boba Fett and a wookie it could have been any mediocre sci-fi show. I think it’s just the limitation of a TV vs movie budget as well as filming in The Volume. It’s an incredible piece of technology, but it still looks fake in its own way and limits the size of the sets.

This will sound weird but the air was too clear. It felt like a TV set and not a grimy planet.

It felt like Star Trek.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, GottaB said:

Listening to Kevin Smiths Fatman in Batman, Marc Bernardin brought up points I struggled with early and again now that I stopped to think about it:

Why is Boba not more bad ass? He doesn’t seem to be a great tactician and he with a few exceptions, his fighting didn’t seem that impressive.

Also, Why does Boba Fett want to be leader of the Underworld? Maybe I need to watch the series again.

Was it Money? He says he has plenty of credits. He could just raid jabbas spoils and get out of town.
Is it Just because he can?
Is this his retirement plan or does he want power?

What does he want to do with the power? Make a better world for fellow bounty hunters?
Does this position allow him to prevent people from hunting Tuscans (his surrogate family)?

Did his near death experience change his moral compass and now he wants to protect the city because only he can?

I don’t think they did a good job giving me a reason to get behind Boba.

When he needed to raise an army, why not go to the Tuscans (other clans) and bring them down on the Pikes. Promise them a steady cut from the in town business especially after Cad Bane mentions who was responsible for slaughtering his old friends.

I saw how this final episode was the culmination of a Seven Samurai (magnificent seven) type of journey where everyone had a reason to get involved in turning away the bandits that are going to ruin the town, but they didn’t really show us the villagers in fear.

And what was up with Fennig leaving the fight to go slaughter people when that wasn’t a time dependent activity. They could have used her during the fight. Surely he could have called her back quicker than it took to go grab a Rancor. Then they could both go and slaughter the leaders of the clans.

How much more bad ass would Boba have been if he showed up to beat the shit out of them in that little room the same way Darth Vader tossed the resistant fighters on the ship at the end of Rogue One.

Not sure about this.   I mean Kevin Smith turned Mark Hamill into Cocknocker.  

Boba gave a reason.  He looked around at who was dying in the sarlac and realized he didn't want to be a pawn in someone else's game.  He also might think that he can gain loyalty though earning it instead of buying it.  That seems to have worked so far.   However he has basically had very little time since usurping the throne to being challenged first by the Hutts and then by the Pykes.  He seems to want to grow his group organically and not from just hired guns whom he has no attachments with.

It wasn't really a 7 Samurai comparison by my estimation.   That was the Mando/Cara episode that Howard directed in season 1.   

Fennic left to support the scoots first and then she left to try to put her best skill into action.  She might have left to perform some baby eating ritual which allows her to look and move like she does at 58, something she needs to share with Boba.  

Sending in an assassin was the better move.  Boba needed to be present in the town and help with the clean-up, repairs and to be grateful to those to helped him.   Him showing up to murder them would have been fine, but Fennic was the better choice and she wasn't exactly getting pounded on in the fight.  She was probably the healthiest least bruised/battered person of the bunch.   That and the Rancor needs a talking too.

The plot itself was fine.  The execution was what left more to be desired.  This wasn't the Last Jedi kind of bullshit story.   The problem is that Rodriguez has a limited vision on fight scenes, limited ability to pull all of the pieces together, especially when he doesn't get to go dick-and-balls gun.   Boba's armor doesn't fit.  That is a visual problem that is hard to ignore.   It is hard to ignore that Boba just seems outmatched and yet still feigns control.   It isn't exactly clear what his plan is going forward, and it isn't clear if he wants to take the other boss's territory (which should be after some of them betrayed him).   It also doesn't seem like he is the type to feign forgiveness and then to bide his time for a revenge strike, or to play them off each-other.   

The overall arc seems inconsistent from a character development perspective.  Boba in the Mandolorian was a badass still more than capable and coupled with just Mando/Fennic they are able to kill 2 dropship loads of storm troopers.   That is an impressive feat.  Then in this one, we have Boba an aging fighter who gets tossed around a bit, battered by Kyrrstan (or whatever his name is) and nearly bested by Cad Bane.   The Boba of my youth would have wrist rocketed Cad Bane instead of trying to out draw a quickdraw artist.    Even Han Solo learned that lesson from Woody Harrelson.   Now they did try to explain away that Boba was still nursing his injuries and needed extensive time in the tank but for reasons he kept only half-assing his treatment and stretching the process out.   So that might account for some of the early issues but I believe he completed his therapy before this battle.   I just get the feeling that they are trying to make him a badass, but not overpowered but something just feels off by how it plays out.   Mando seems to be such a better balance at this.   And well the armor fits.   

There seems to be no real longterm goal for some of the characters here.   Is Fennic an assassin until she dies?  Is Boba the last of the Fetts and he is just going to keep going until whenever?  Cara/Carl both changed their jobs career arcs.   Cobb has a clear goal for the future.  Mando has is Death Watch group to work with.   Boba wants to rule the planet and keep the peace.   And after he achieves this, what then?  

Not sure about this.   I mean Kevin Smith turned Mark Hamill into Cocknocker.  
Boba gave a reason.  He looked around at who was dying in the sarlac and realized he didn't want to be a pawn in someone else's game.  He also might think that he can gain loyalty though earning it instead of buying it.  That seems to have worked so far.   However he has basically had very little time since usurping the throne to being challenged first by the Hutts and then by the Pykes.  He seems to want to grow his group organically and not from just hired guns whom he has no attachments with.
It wasn't really a 7 Samurai comparison by my estimation.   That was the Mando/Cara episode that Howard directed in season 1.   
Fennic left to support the scoots first and then she left to try to put her best skill into action.  She might have left to perform some baby eating ritual which allows her to look and move like she does at 58, something she needs to share with Boba.  
Sending in an assassin was the better move.  Boba needed to be present in the town and help with the clean-up, repairs and to be grateful to those to helped him.   Him showing up to murder them would have been fine, but Fennic was the better choice and she wasn't exactly getting pounded on in the fight.  She was probably the healthiest least bruised/battered person of the bunch.   That and the Rancor needs a talking too.
The plot itself was fine.  The execution was what left more to be desired.  This wasn't the Last Jedi kind of bullshit story.   The problem is that Rodriguez has a limited vision on fight scenes, limited ability to pull all of the pieces together, especially when he doesn't get to go dick-and-balls gun.   Boba's armor doesn't fit.  That is a visual problem that is hard to ignore.   It is hard to ignore that Boba just seems outmatched and yet still feigns control.   It isn't exactly clear what his plan is going forward, and it isn't clear if he wants to take the other boss's territory (which should be after some of them betrayed him).   It also doesn't seem like he is the type to feign forgiveness and then to bide his time for a revenge strike, or to play them off each-other.   
The overall arc seems inconsistent from a character development perspective.  Boba in the Mandolorian was a badass still more than capable and coupled with just Mando/Fennic they are able to kill 2 dropship loads of storm troopers.   That is an impressive feat.  Then in this one, we have Boba an aging fighter who gets tossed around a bit, battered by Kyrrstan (or whatever his name is) and nearly bested by Cad Bane.   The Boba of my youth would have wrist rocketed Cad Bane instead of trying to out draw a quickdraw artist.    Even Han Solo learned that lesson from Woody Harrelson.   Now they did try to explain away that Boba was still nursing his injuries and needed extensive time in the tank but for reasons he kept only half-assing his treatment and stretching the process out.   So that might account for some of the early issues but I believe he completed his therapy before this battle.   I just get the feeling that they are trying to make him a badass, but not overpowered but something just feels off by how it plays out.   Mando seems to be such a better balance at this.   And well the armor fits.   
There seems to be no real longterm goal for some of the characters here.   Is Fennic an assassin until she dies?  Is Boba the last of the Fetts and he is just going to keep going until whenever?  Cara/Carl both changed their jobs career arcs.   Cobb has a clear goal for the future.  Mando has is Death Watch group to work with.   Boba wants to rule the planet and keep the peace.   And after he achieves this, what then?  

Good points.

I Boba Fett ends up with the Dark Sabre riding a mythasaur to become the ruler of Mandalore, this may be a small step to an awesome future season.

Timothy Olyphant looked more like Boba Fett when he had the armor than the fat grandpa did.

Imagine if he was hired to be Boba when he dropped into Mando S2. We’d have a 100% better show.

Yet the armor stood out as being too short for Olyphant, it looked incomplete and yet it looked good on him, like he made due with it, because he had to.

Is it too much to ask that Olyphant turns to the dark side, kills Boba Fett, takes the armor back and becomes the new crime boss?

Probably a good question for @atomheartbevo, but what the hell happened to the Rangers of the New Republic show? By all outward appearances, it looks like Disney shelved it because they fired Carano. 

Broader question, could you give us a status update on all of the Star War shows that have been teased? Basically, what's getting made and what's not happening. 

35 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Probably a good question for @atomheartbevo, but what the hell happened to the Rangers of the New Republic show? By all outward appearances, it looks like Disney shelved it because they fired Carano. 

I know the focus is on Carano, but I feel like that’s just an excuse - it was called “Rangers” after all, and not “Ranger”, and it was supposed to include things like X-Wings going around and doing stuff, and basically show how the New Republic was establishing itself and stabilizing things after the Empire fell.  Filoni and Favreau were in charge of it.  

They never even had scripts for it though, and nobody was ever attached to it as far as getting it into production or even pre-production, and I think Kennedy even said there wasn’t much there and they decided to fold it into Mando. The timeline was that they announced it in late December 2020, then she got fired in February 2021.  Just two months.   And they had announced Lando and Ashoka at the same time as Rangers.

I honestly think they pulled back because they were getting over-extended - they had at least five shows in pre-production or production in 2021 (Mando, Boba, Ashoka, Andor, and Obi), with Lando and The Acolyte going into production this year, when Rangers would have also been in production   

Plus, Mando, Ahsoka, and Boba take place concurrently as well, and that’s tough to juggle (see the Marvel shows) especially if Mando is going Game of Thrones Mandalore and Ahsoka is diving into Thrawn/Ezra/etc. Those two shows could get really massive and expensive   

It’s Disney, Favreau, Filoni.  One actor was not going to stop a series with that combination, and if they had still wanted the Rangers-style show, they had Cobb Vance, and they could easily expand Book of Boba Fett in that direction.  I liked Carano in bits and pieces, but I’d rather have Star Wars Justified.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I know the focus is on Carano, but I feel like that’s just an excuse - it was called “Rangers” after all, and not “Ranger”, and it was supposed to include things like X-Wings going around and doing stuff, and basically show how the New Republic was establishing itself and stabilizing things after the Empire fell.  Filoni and Favreau were in charge of it.  

They never even had scripts for it though, and nobody was ever attached to it as far as getting it into production or even pre-production, and I think Kennedy even said there wasn’t much there and they decided to fold it into Mando. The timeline was that they announced it in late December 2020, then she got fired in February 2021.  Just two months.   And they had announced Lando and Ashoka at the same time as Rangers.

I honestly think they pulled back because they were getting over-extended - they had at least five shows in pre-production or production in 2021 (Mando, Boba, Ashoka, Andor, and Obi), with Lando and The Acolyte going into production this year, when Rangers would have also been in production   

Plus, Mando, Ahsoka, and Boba take place concurrently as well, and that’s tough to juggle (see the Marvel shows) especially if Mando is going Game of Thrones Mandalore and Ahsoka is diving into Thrawn/Ezra/etc. Those two shows could get really massive and expensive   

It’s Disney, Favreau, Filoni.  One actor was not going to stop a series with that combination, and if they had still wanted the Rangers-style show, they had Cobb Vance, and they could easily expand Book of Boba Fett in that direction.  I liked Carano in bits and pieces, but I’d rather have Star Wars Justified.  

Any actors attached to Lando? Glover being the obvious one. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any actors attached to Lando? Glover being the obvious one. 

They way they phrased it when they announced it, it could be either young or old Lando.  The official books and novelizations of Episode 9 had Lando heading out in his ship trying to reunite First Order stormtroopers with their families, while looking for his daughter (who was kidnapped by the First Order when she was an infant).  Glover is working on a bunch of stuff. Including a TV series for Amazon.

The show runner is working on The Haunted Mansion for Disney.

Untitled.0.png

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That would be a tough actress to nail down. I'm sure Phoebe Waller-Bridge is pretty damned busy with higher profile gigs than a voice role on Disney +. 

But yes, the Lando - L3 relationship was getting weird by the end of Solo.   

PWB and Glover had an amicable parting of ways last fall over their Amazon TV series (Mr and Mrs Smith, which is about the Brad Pitt movie)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/phoebe-waller-bridge-exits-mr-mrs-smith-amazon-1235008522/

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

PWB and Glover had an amicable parting of ways last fall over their Amazon TV series (Mr and Mrs Smith, which is about the Brad Pitt movie)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/phoebe-waller-bridge-exits-mr-mrs-smith-amazon-1235008522/

Hmm, interesting. Feels like two alpha dog showrunners didn't see eye to eye. 

I don't care if PWB gets recast as L3 in Lando. Just give me Glover. 

This guy has been very accurate with past insider rumors and definitely has contacts within Disney.

TLDW…Rodriguez was a lazy piece of shit of ignored Favreau’s script outlines and filled in the gaps with his own ideas like the mods. He delivered his footage and the editors and Favreau/Filoni were horrified at what he delivered. They scraped 3 BOBF episodes, replaced two of them with the first two Mando episodes, skipped one completely, and recut the finale to fit what they decided to air. Rodriguez is pretty much out of future SW shows.

• Rage+1 1

I am a little surprised that Kevin Smith opened his mouth to criticize this show especially after the reviews and depantsing he took over He-Man/She-ra.

I didn’t know Kevin ragged on the show. On his podcast he raved on it.

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

I am a little surprised that Kevin Smith opened his mouth to criticize this show especially after the reviews and depantsing he took over He-Man/She-ra.

The problem with He-Man is that he wanted to make a sequel to the original 1980s cartoon.

The original 1980s cartoon has not held up at all.  Too many of the fans are older/wiser and realize it for what it was - a shitty toy commercial.  There's a Star Wars joke in there somewhere.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The problem with He-Man is that he wanted to make a sequel to the original 1980s cartoon.

The original 1980s cartoon has not held up at all.  Too many of the fans are older/wiser and realize it for what it was - a shitty toy commercial.  There's a Star Wars joke in there somewhere.

I think the problem is that the sequel supposedly is based on Teela being a mary sue and He-Man being relegated to a support character; or in other words, they Luke'd He-Man.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, Xminus6 said:

I think the casting off Fett is one of the main issues. He’s just a bad actor. They also wrote his whole story weirdly. This version of Fett has none of the presence or mystery of what we imagine of three original character. Plus he’s generally inept.

original Fett had 4 lines of dialogue and 6.5 min of screentime across like 6.5 hours of movie. of course he doesn't have the presence or mystery.

he's also ~41 in BoBF vs mid 30s in original series.

also, idk how you can retcon the actor at this point based on his backstory