College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

20 hours ago, Underdog said:

Damn, Philly taking a big hit with this news and Dunphy leaving Temple. 

Machinator  posted in another thread that Temple already has their next coach -- Aaron McKie

"Aaron McKie is the associate head men's basketball coachand head coach in waiting for the Temple Owls of the AAC. McKie was a standout player at Temple and spent 13 years in the NBA. He has been coaching since 2007 and on the Temple staff since 2014."

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Machinator  posted in another thread that Temple already has their next coach -- Aaron McKie

"Aaron McKie is the associate head men's basketball coachand head coach in waiting for the Temple Owls of the AAC. McKie was a standout player at Temple and spent 13 years in the NBA. He has been coaching since 2007 and on the Temple staff since 2014."

At least on paper, McKie sounds very solid.

1 hour ago, SnowAggy said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/report-fred-hoiberg-frontrunner-soon-be-vacancy-nebraska

Looks like Tim Miles will be out at Nebraska and the front runner to replace him is...The Mayor of Ames, Iowa Fred Hoiberg???

That would be a fun hire and Tim Miles (like Doc Sadler) should be a top assistant somewhere.

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Basketball-Buzz-About-UCLA-and-John-Calipari-130307355/

Herd on Cowherd that there's a lot of buzz about possibility of UCLA outbidding Kentucky for Coach Calipari's services.  Someone needs to bat signal Chris Del Conte immediately

We aren't hiring Calipari.

2 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Basketball-Buzz-About-UCLA-and-John-Calipari-130307355/

Herd on Cowherd that there's a lot of buzz about possibility of UCLA outbidding Kentucky for Coach Calipari's services.  Someone needs to bat signal Chris Del Conte immediately

There's a little smoke here, but I would be beyond surprised.  Money aside, I just think Cal has too much baggage.  I would be thrilled, but I don't see it.  We are going to go balls out for Bennett, probably resulting in him being one of the top paid coaches in NCAA...at Virginia.

Just now, Sbbruin said:

There's a little smoke here, but I would be beyond surprised.  Money aside, I just think Cal has too much baggage.  I would be thrilled, but I don't see it.  We are going to go balls out for Bennett, probably resulting in him being one of the top paid coaches in NCAA...at Virginia.

The infamous "make him say no".

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The infamous "make him say no".

The money is there with a new crop of well-heeled donors and all of the UA money, so they'll try.  Word is it'll be Thad Matta is Bennett falls through.  I'd be OK with that.  Couple down years corresponding with some health problems doesn't negate all he did at Butler, Xavier, and OSU before that.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The money is there with a new crop of well-heeled donors and all of the UA money, so they'll try.  Word is it'll be Thad Matta is Bennett falls through.  I'd be OK with that.  Couple down years corresponding with some health problems doesn't negate all he did at Butler, Xavier, and OSU before that.

He's a great coach; you just hope that the health problems won't hinder recruiting.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

He's a great coach; you just hope that the health problems won't hinder recruiting.

Recruiting isn't our problem.  Alford could recruit like a madman, he just couldn't coach.  We had/have 3 5 stars and 7 4 stars on this team and a .500 record in a shit-ass conference.  A good coach can recruit with ease.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Recruiting isn't our problem.  Alford could recruit like a madman, he just couldn't coach.  We had/have 3 5 stars and 7 4 stars on this team and a .500 record in a shit-ass conference.  A good coach can recruit with ease.

It's not about his recruiting, it's about the negative recruiting you're going to be facing when every coach in the country tells prospects that Matta won't be long for this job.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

If my man Fred Hoiberg came back to college I'd love for it to be at UCLA.  No Luke Walton rumors down there?

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Man I'd like to see Alford back at UNM. It's still crazy to me that as good as UNM has been at basketball over the years they haven't made a sweet 16 since 1974.

14 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

If my man Fred Hoiberg came back to college I'd love for it to be at UCLA.  No Luke Walton rumors down there?

Hoiberg was an early rumor as he is a Wasserman client.  But he is low on the target list.  Only the talking heads on the radio are throwing out Walton.  I don't see that.  Maybe if Miller goes at UofA I could see him there.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Chip Kelly is your Football coach. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Pretty interesting if not stressful for ISU fans right now.  Fred Hoiberg reportedly taking the Nebraska job while Bama will certainly call Prohm.

If polled I'd bet a majority of ISU fans would gladly push Prohm to Bama if it meant we could get Fred back (which, who know?).  And we're talking about a guy who just won a Big 12 tournament for us.  Very weird time right now...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Cincy hasn't been past the round of 32 since 2012. Why is Cronin on anybody's want list? 

He was on derka's list and that was really it. 

Cronin is Cincinatti.  he will never leave, most likely.  i would have questions about his health. 

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition