College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

Prohm extended.

Sounds like Hoiberg to Nebraska is a done deal.  If I were Prohm, I'd have gone to Bama.  I'm glad he stayed, but there's a segment of our fanbase that is glued to Hoiberg's dong that is never going to give Prohm a fair shake.  If Hoiberg does well in Nebraska, it's going to be a massive fucking monkey on Prohm's back.

For the record, I don't think Hoiberg would replicate his previous success if he came back to ISU.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Prohm extended.

Sounds like Hoiberg to Nebraska is a done deal.  If I were Prohm, I'd have gone to Bama.  I'm glad he stayed, but there's a segment of our fanbase that is glued to Hoiberg's dong that is never going to give Prohm a fair shake.  If Hoiberg does well in Nebraska, it's going to be a massive fucking monkey on Prohm's back.

For the record, I don't think Hoiberg would replicate his previous success if he came back to ISU.

Seen this movie before. 

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Prohm extended.

Thanks for your thoughts Al4ISU....

Might be easier staying in Ames than jumping into the Bama frying pan...... always sounds like Ames is a great place for families and ISU fan support for basketball is awesome....

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Thanks for your thoughts Al4ISU....

Might be easier staying in Ames than jumping into the Bama frying pan...... always sounds like Ames is a great place for families and oSU fan support for basketball is awesome....

I actually think basketball expectations are lower at Bama.  Our fanbase is starting to grow a little entitled.  We certainly support our program better than most, but there's a vocal minority that was savagely coming after Prohm and the players this year.  I might have vented in here about the team being bitches, but I wasn't @ing anyone on Twitter.  With Hoiberg in Lincoln, the pressure on Prohm is going to mount.  Throw in the fact that he's a Bama alum, and they have deeper pockets, and I could see why he'd prefer that job.

I think he's recruiting well, and am pleased over all.  I have some gripes about the way he handles line ups and uses time outs, but those are things a guy can figure out as he goes too.  I think Prohm staying in Ames reduces the odds of off-season attrition, and keeps another solid recruiting class intact.

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I actually think basketball expectations are lower at Bama.  Our fanbase is starting to grow a little entitled.  We certainly support our program better than most, but there's a vocal minority that was savagely coming after Prohm and the players this year.  I might have vented in here about the team being bitches, but I wasn't @ing anyone on Twitter.  With Hoiberg in Lincoln, the pressure on Prohm is going to mount.  Throw in the fact that he's a Bama alum, and they have deeper pockets, and I could see why he'd prefer that job.

I think he's recruiting well, and am pleased over all.  I have some gripes about the way he handles line ups and uses time outs, but those are things a guy can figure out as he goes too.  I think Prohm staying in Ames reduces the odds of off-season attrition, and keeps another solid recruiting class intact.

Bama trying to step up their game.... Matta may be considered a strong candidate for Bama.

Others in article were Gregg Marshall (LOL), Chris Beard (doubtful), Cronin, and Northern Kentucky coach John Brannen. 

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/2019/03/26/five-potential-options-alabamas-next-mens-basketball-coach/3275380002/

Won't be surprised to hear Murray State HC Matt McMahon become a popular candidate as well.

I guess I'm a misogynist when it comes to women AD's, I've always had a soft spot for unlv basketball and I think Menzies is a very good coach and a great dude, so admittedly my observations should be taken with a brick of Morton's, but it really seems like she fired the guy due to... attendance, I guess?... With zero plan of what to do next. 

Closing on on 2 weeks since she axed him and not even an interview yet as far as I can find. 

You need a plan. And this is a bad year to fire a coach. 

1 minute ago, Pancho Negro said:

Tim miles out at Nebraska 

So you're ten miles out of Nebraska.... sorry to hear that mate..... 😆

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/tim-miles-out-after-seven-seasons-as-nebraska-basketball-coach/article_f9645b9e-340f-5562-bc3e-228d3b9950b4.html

Huskers losing their President too....

https://www.cornnation.com/2019/3/26/18281865/hank-bounds-is-leaving-while-tim-miles-is-still-around 

Prohm is going to have to win some games with hoiberg down the street.  I don’t think the mayor would have returned if the door opened anyway. He’s going to move back to the NBA with the first sniff he gets. It’s just unfortunate that his first opportunity was with one of the worst run franchises in the NBA. No way hoiberg wanted to have to leave Ames twice to accomplish his dreams. Ames will be there in 10 years if he needs a soft landing. 

He won more NCAAT games in four years at UAB than in 8 years at Arkansas. Frank Haith should probably watch his back if Anderson wants to go back home to Tulsa.

I wonder how his career may have turned out if he hadn't had one foot out the door for Arkansas and had been able to convince some combination of Brad Beal, Otto Porter, BJ Young and Ben McLemore to stay in-state at Mizzou.

Edited by DanRydell

38 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Christ, Mike Anderson fired at Arkansas

Per Jeff Goodman, Kelvin Sampson is high on the list for Arkansas

Hate it for Mike Anderson, but for whatever reason it just didn't work out.  Sampson is the no-research needed 1st candidate mentioned as Arkansas AD Hunter Yurachek was at Houston.  Not sure if he actually will be the guy (or if he'd want to be), but that will be the dots people connect early on.

Going to interesting with Arkansas naming the court after Nolan Richardson next year, and his protege being fired.

Edited by Don Johnson

Anderson is a great person but Richardson’s game plans won’t work in this age of basketball where every team you play has elite athletes that’s don’t wear down easily. The game is too focused on physical fitness now to wear down teams consistently. He got absolutely punished at MU when he faced equal or better athletes. 

I dont know where arky goes from here. Houston might be a better job than arky right now and fertita is probably willing to pay like it is too. 

Interesting names:

- Buzz to A&M seems like it's done and just waiting for VT to lose, but that could change if VT makes the FF

- Sampson to Arkansas seems like it's done unless UH comes on late with a long term deal

- Basketball investigation might push Self to the NBA

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-8-questions-to-answer-030648832.html

1. What will the Crimson Tide do?

One of the reasons the SEC hit its basketball slump was too many programs taking risks on hot up-and-coming coaches. Experiments with hot mid-major coaches like Stan Heath (Arkansas), Johnny Jones (LSU), Tony Barbee (Auburn) and Darrin Horn (South Carolina) quickly went bust. (Wade appears headed down the Donnie Tyndall road of NCAA infractions infamy, a parallel track.)

Will Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne learn from this? Byrne is conservative by nature, and will certainly be aware of any federal connections to a coach after what's happened to Arizona coach Sean Miller since Byrne left Tucson. (Sorry, Rick Pitino need not apply.)

Cross off any NBA names, as Avery Johnson lacked the consistent diligence required to be a college coach. And cross off Steve Prohm, who should have screamed "Roll Tide" as he signed his contract extension on Tuesday.

The guess here is an established head coach — think Thad Matta or Mick Cronin. Maybe Bryne goes for an out-of-region splash with Eric Musselman or a Jim Larranaga-type hire in Wofford's Mike Young. This is the most mysterious job on the board, in part because there wasn't much of a plan to let Johnson go. Former Arkansas coach John Pelphrey is on staff and could be given consideration.

2. What will Vanderbilt do?

Lot of pressure for new athletic director Malcolm Tuner. His choice to fire Bryce Drew was panned nationally. The odd decision to attempt to "reassign" him to save money was roundly mocked by his peers considering he works at a place with a $4.6 billion endowment.

Turner came from the NBA’s G League, which would mean his most recent alleged expertise is in basketball. But he still hired the Korn Ferry search firm, likely because that's the firm that hired him. So only three months on the job, Turner has become a savvy veteran in the greasy quid-pro-quo legal kickbacks of the search business. He's obviously a quick learner.

So who will he hire? The school has made it clear it wants a veteran and established coach with success at multiple schools. (All the less reason to pay a search firm.) Think a veteran in the mold of Georgetown's John Thompson III, UCF's Johnny Dawkins or Notre Dame's Mike Brey.

3. What will Arkansas do?

Athletic director Hunter Yurachek is too smart to fire the solid but unspectacular Mike Anderson without a plan. A source summed up the plan in Fayetteville this way: "Kelvin Sampson, Kelvin Sampson and Kelvin Sampson." Yurachek was on staff at Houston when they hired Sampson, and Sampson can't be thrilled the current administration hasn't appeared in any hurry to lock him up long term. Sampson likes UH and living in Houston, but he's been around long enough to be skeptical of putting his career in the hands of an eccentric billionaire (Tilman Fertitta) and an athletic director with little juice (Chris Pezman).

This has been perceived to be done for so long that there's buzz Houston already has a replacement lined up. Look for UH to act fast, as this is the most obvious move outside Buzz Williams leaving for Texas A&M. It's a Fertitta production, so look for a big splash hire — maybe Eric Musselman? — so Fertitta can show up at the news conference to pat himself on the back. (Maybe he'll call sports talk radio to rip Lane Kiffin like he did a few years back. That was fun.)

If somehow Sampson stuck around, Chris Beard would be another solid option in Fayetteville. (Maybe a better one.) He has strong ties from his successful stint at Arkansas Little Rock. He may wait around at Tech and have his pick of prime jobs next season.

4. What will Texas A&M do?

As far back as last season, Buzz Williams has had an open invitation to return to Texas A&M. It's the job where he'd always been forecasted, and it appears close to an inevitability he'll return to the place he served as an assistant from 2004-06. (Don't be surprised if LSU interim coach Tony Benford ends up on his staff.)

Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock is wise enough to realize the potential of this that he's been calling around about background on candidates for weeks. He's smart, which means he certainly wouldn't be surprised by the move. No one would be. Not only will it happen, it's expected to happen soon after Tech loses. Whenever that may be.

The most obvious part that this search is laser-focused on Williams comes from the fact it has been completely silent otherwise. No interviews. No candidate buzz. Only Buzz. (Sampson is the only other half-hearted name.)

Interesting that Tech was in the same pod in San Jose as Irvine's Russell Turner, who is a Virginia native. Turner impressed coaching but flopped in his admission of talking trash to an Oregon player.

A fascinating curiosity: How would two Hokie wins in Washington this weekend change things?

5. What will LSU do?

The soap opera in Baton Rouge is playing out to where the only person who thinks Will Wade has a shot at returning is Wade. By the time he asked to return in a statement, referencing his "constitutional rights," LSU had already moved on. Wade's refusal to meet with his bosses appears to be a clear reason to fire him for cause. There appears to be a better chance of New Orleans and Baton Rouge becoming dry cities than Wade coaching again at LSU.

Eric Musselman is a good name here. He was an assistant coach at LSU and his outsized success at Nevada would make him a good fit. LSU may be more likely to explore the mid-major route, as they'd be wise to put a premium on a coach with a clean reputation. (Buffalo's Nate Oats, Murray's Matt McMahon, Northern Kentucky's John Brannen and Vermont's John Becker are the top mid-major names.)

As for Wade, the early odds on the best place for him to return to college coaching in a few years come at Liberty University, which has emerged as the Division I's Last Chance U.

6. What does UCLA do?

The job has been open since New Year's Eve, and it doesn't appear much closer to being filled. UCLA is aiming high, as the flirtations with Kentucky's John Calipari indicate. Calipari appeared to end his flirtations with a seemingly annual tweet that declares his love for Kentucky. (Until, of course, he listens to another school or NBA franchise the next season and then tweets out his unconditional devotion.)

The best name here is Virginia's Tony Bennett, but it's still hard to see him in the bright lights of L.A. Realistic names are Luke Walton, Cincinnati's Mick Cronin and Eric Musselman. None are perfect, as all have flaws in experience, personality or geography. Texas Tech's Chris Beard is a name that hasn't got much traction, which could change if Tech continues its dominant season.

There's really little chance at a home run here. The Bruins need the right guy. Not sure the right marriage between interested candidate and UCLA's high-end expectations is out there.

7. What will the other open Pac-12 jobs do?

The Pac-12 has a financial problem, and it shines through in a few areas. One is football assistants, as the yawning gap between the Pac-12 and the rest of the power conferences makes retention of talent more difficult.

The other is with the financial have-nots. Predictably, Washington State went the mid-major route and is reportedly close to hiring San Francisco coach Kyle Smith. He's a fine coach, especially tactically, but not exactly the type to bring sizzle to Pullman.

The names for Cal include Montana's Travis DeCuire and Russell Turner from UC-Irvine. Both are solid.

Jason Kidd getting hired at Cal seems like a great idea at the country club or wine tasting, but a really bad idea in the compliance office and recruiting trail. Kidd is a fine basketball coach, but this seems more like winning the news conference than finding a Mike Montgomery-like fixture. It was hilarious to watch him crush the dreams of Cal fans by politicking for the Lakers job on ESPN right after the Cal job opened.

The good news for Cal is the old administration set the bar so low on the Wyking Jones hire that they can't possibly do any worse.

8. What jobs could open amid the federal basketball investigation?

This is the most asked question on the landscape, as it will generate enough hot air to fool everyone into thinking the Final Four was in Phoenix instead of Minneapolis.

Can Sean Miller navigate the thorny federal landscape and keep together his highly rated recruiting class? That doesn’t seem easy, with a subpoena to appear in court looming that could force difficult decisions for both he and the university. Does he squash the subpoena? Can he plead the fifth? Or will the truth and playing of wiretaps set him free to another decade of dominant college coaching? Hard to bet on the last option considering everything swirling in the recruiting space.

Will Bill Self risk his Hall of Fame career to the fickle whims of the NCAA enforcement staff and Committee on Infractions? He's come out strong publicly that he wants to be at Kansas. That’s catnip to fans and local media. But is it reality?

It would be difficult to imagine a college president hiring Self with his program under NCAA scrutiny. (But, Cal-State Northridge did hire Mark Gottfried, so you never know. Unrelated: N.C. State reportedly daring Gottfried to sue them for his buyout money is by far the most hilarious reverberation from the scandal. The school essentially said, "We dare you to take the stand, Mark.")

Self's strongest NBA ties come in San Antonio, as he has a good relationship with Spurs general manager R.C. Buford. But would Gregg Popovich want Self to replace him? That's trickier.

Self faces a difficult choice that goes much deeper than his rah-rah public statements. It will be telling to see if he becomes active once the NBA cycle begins. Of the ensnared coaches, he's the most established and has the actual coaching acumen to be on an NBA sideline. (Success in college doesn't always mean good coaching, as paradoxical as that sounds.) The NCAA has shown glimpses of acting tough in the wake of this federal scandal, but predicting everything it will end up doing — and even when it will do it — is as foolish as hoping and wishing it will all go away.

13 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Anderson is a great person but Richardson’s game plans won’t work in this age of basketball where every team you play has elite athletes that’s don’t wear down easily. The game is too focused on physical fitness now to wear down teams consistently. He got absolutely punished at MU when he faced equal or better athletes. 

I dont know where arky goes from here. Houston might be a better job than arky right now and fertita is probably willing to pay like it is too. 

I really thought Anderson was going to do well there. He's does seem like a decent egg.

I was really worried about Self leaving the program even just weeks ago with the season we had and the NCAA scrutiny.  But after talking with a higher education professional PR guy (worked the UNC case) and hearing what Self had to say recently I don't think he is going anywhere and I don't think KU is going to get hit as hard as what I previously thought.  We are going to get smacked, but based on what the PR guy said there are so many easy ways to face the NCAA that lawsuits will basically guarantee the NCAA walks from penalties levied.  I think our max penalty is that we vacate games De Sousa played in the 2017-2018 season (which includes a final four). If that is the worst that happens then effectively the only thing that is proven is that we played an ineligible player, which he technically was.  Self wouldn't be the first coach to live through this stuff.  Just a few years ago the NCAA officially made UK recognize that Calipari had to vacate games when they tried to celebrate him hitting some milestone.  They did and they moved on the next day.  Late Cal actually made public jabs at the NCAA about the whole deal.  As long as KU doesn't make a move on Self I dont' see self making a run for the NBA.

Thamel and Forde are both always hard on KU so I don't give much sway to what they write.  Forde thought that KU was basically going to get the death penalty the day this all came out only to see the FBI identify KU as a victim in the deal.  While other coaches are going down, KU's weren't touched by the legal system.  Also, Bill Self's comments aren't "rah rah".  These are some of the strongest comments I've read from any coach who has ever faced scrutiny:

“I wouldn’t run from that at all,” he said. “Not at all. And I look forward to visiting (with the NCAA) and certainly the conclusion (of the investigation), and seeing it through. You can quote that.”

This has been a rough season at KU. The 14-year conference championship streak ended, Udoka Azubuike suffered a season-ending injury, Silvio De Sousa was suspended by the NCAA, and Lagerald Vick left the team in February to address personal matters.

But when Self answered the phone on Monday, he seemed eager to not just shoot down the Bulls rumor but to quiet any other potential talk of an NBA job or the NCAA investigation driving him out.

“My motivation is as strong as ever to be the Kansas coach, to further this program, and to see the situation with the NCAA through,” Self said. “Totally through. Never say never, because you don’t know how both parties may feel, but that is my stance and I look forward to being here for a long time.

“I want to add something else, too. I said years ago that I didn’t know if I wanted to coach forever. But this past year has motivated me to remain in this business for a long time. I want it on record that I want to coach for a long time.”

Edited by Jhawk

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Interesting names:

- Buzz to A&M seems like it's done and just waiting for VT to lose, but that could change if VT makes the FF

- Sampson to Arkansas seems like it's done unless UH comes on late with a long term deal

- Basketball investigation might push Self to the NBA

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-8-questions-to-answer-030648832.html

Bill Self has said privately and publicly he knows his coaching style doesn't translate to the NBA - aka he screams at players in a way that only works when the players aren't empowered like the pros - and as much as he's buddies with Buford/Pop that fit would be terrible. Never say never, but it's doubtful he's ever going to the NBA.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:40 PM, Underdog said:

Bama should take a look at Nate Oates of Buffalo, although he just signed an extension. 

Genius.  I should get commission on this deal. Wonder what if Bama keeps any of the players that were threatening to leave?  Good for Bama, bad for my Bulls. 

On 3/21/2019 at 11:38 PM, pops said:

Matta to Vegas?

Nope......

The UNLV basketball team has a new head coach, hiring South Dakota State head coach T.J. Otzelberger to run the program.  The school announced the hiring Wednesday afternoon, this after the coach led the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances in 2017 and 2018.

"I have been fortunate to coach at some amazing universities and it was going to take a very special opportunity to leave Brookings," Otzelberger said in a statement.  "UNLV basketball is one of the most storied programs in the nation and situated in one of the world's greatest cities. I'm honored to have the opportunity to add to the Runnin' Rebels' rich history and my family and I could not be more proud to be the newest members of this world-class university and Las Vegas community," he said.

In the last three seasons at South Dakota State, Otzelberger posted a 70-33 record, and in the past two seasons, the program has lost just two conference games.  This past season, South Dakota State finished 24-9.  Before taking over the Jackrabbits, Otzelberger was a longtime assistant coach at Iowa State and also spent two seasons at Washington.

Edited by LTtxfan

I was really worried about Self leaving the program even just weeks ago with the season we had and the NCAA scrutiny.  But after talking with a higher education professional PR guy (worked the UNC case) and hearing what Self had to say recently I don't think he is going anywhere and I don't think KU is going to get hit as hard as what I previously thought.  We are going to get smacked, but based on what the PR guy said there are so many easy ways to face the NCAA that lawsuits will basically guarantee the NCAA walks from penalties levied.  I think our max penalty is that we vacate games De Sousa played in the 2017-2018 season (which includes a final four). If that is the worst that happens then effectively the only thing that is proven is that we played an ineligible player, which he technically was.  Self wouldn't be the first coach to live through this stuff.  Just a few years ago the NCAA officially made UK recognize that Calipari had to vacate games when they tried to celebrate him hitting some milestone.  They did and they moved on the next day.  Late Cal actually made public jabs at the NCAA about the whole deal.  As long as KU doesn't make a move on Self I dont' see self making a run for the NBA.
Thamel and Forde are both always hard on KU so I don't give much sway to what they write.  Forde thought that KU was basically going to get the death penalty the day this all came out only to see the FBI identify KU as a victim in the deal.  While other coaches are going down, KU's weren't touched by the legal system.  Also, Bill Self's comments aren't "rah rah".  These are some of the strongest comments I've read from any coach who has ever faced scrutiny:
“I wouldn’t run from that at all,” he said. “Not at all. And I look forward to visiting (with the NCAA) and certainly the conclusion (of the investigation), and seeing it through. You can quote that.”
This has been a rough season at KU. The 14-year conference championship streak ended, Udoka Azubuike suffered a season-ending injury, Silvio De Sousa was suspended by the NCAA, and Lagerald Vick left the team in February to address personal matters.
But when Self answered the phone on Monday, he seemed eager to not just shoot down the Bulls rumor but to quiet any other potential talk of an NBA job or the NCAA investigation driving him out.
“My motivation is as strong as ever to be the Kansas coach, to further this program, and to see the situation with the NCAA through,” Self said. “Totally through. Never say never, because you don’t know how both parties may feel, but that is my stance and I look forward to being here for a long time.
“I want to add something else, too. I said years ago that I didn’t know if I wanted to coach forever. But this past year has motivated me to remain in this business for a long time. I want it on record that I want to coach for a long time.”

Nobody thought KU would ever be seriously punished. They are blue blood like UNC, untouchable. But the NCAA is probably mad, so UMKC gonna get the hammer.

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition