College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

On 3/26/2019 at 4:51 PM, 'stache said:

Was Hoiberg that bad at Chicago? Seems he could do better than Nebraska.

Everybody's betting on the him being born in Lincoln, his Grandpa being one time head coach at Nebraska, his niece working for the program already, as giving him more incentive than usual to take on this coach killing job. 

17 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Otz has a bright future.  Book it.

Not saying he doesn't, but man, that's a tough gig.  Last coach essentially got the boot after 2 years, you have one of the most delusional fan bases in the country....they are pretty sure Johnson and Augmon just graduated last year, so get us to the final four tomorrow...with a completely dysfunctional athletic department.  Half the team quit when Menzies got booted so next year is already a waste.  And oh yeah, on top of the Knights kicking ass, the Raiders show up in 18 months.  Good luck to that dude.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Far from a fan but given his style of play/coaching, Mike Anderson might do well @UNLV, possibly bring back the “Runnin’ Rebels” of Tark era. 

Underdog, you know UNLV just hired TJ Otzelberger right??

giphy.gif

If Michigan destroys Tech tonight does Beard's stock go down??

18 hours ago, pops said:

Not saying he doesn't, but man, that's a tough gig.  Last coach essentially got the boot after 2 years, you have one of the most delusional fan bases in the country....they are pretty sure Johnson and Augmon just graduated last year, so get us to the final four tomorrow...with a completely dysfunctional athletic department.  Half the team quit when Menzies got booted so next year is already a waste.  And oh yeah, on top of the Knights kicking ass, the Raiders show up in 18 months.  Good luck to that dude.  

Yeah, you're right on all of it.  I was a little surprised he took the job (in it's current state) but I think he's just too ambitious to stay in Brookings, South Dakota.  UNLV is another step up, even if it's fraught.  I know it's my cardinal and gold glasses but I'd like him to come back to Ames someday.  Just my opinion but I think he's headed for a legit P5 job.

He’s got 4 more years. He proved he could coach in year 1. Now they’re letting him dump the roster and recruit his guys. He’ll get them to seniors and he will have them in the tourney. He’s recruiting well but is he recruiting guys who can win together? If he is then I’d say he is one of the best young coaches out there and not just another Archie Miller. 

19 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Tillman is the biggest donor and the chairman of the board? He pretty much just bought the school didn’t he?

I met him when he came out to look at a Landry's restaurant location of ours where they were looking to flip concepts from one Landry's concept to another.  He was perhaps the most arrogant person I'd ever met.  He tried telling me what he planned to do to our building common areas.  I politely said we would be responsible for any common area improvements.  He also had his personal "general counsel" with him, who was a hot late 20's chick who apparently had a law degree.

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If Michigan destroys Tech tonight does Beard's stock go down??

It's weird, I would have thought Beard would be way high on our list, and some talking head on the radio, don't remember who, said he would take the job if offered, but our $9.95er said he is a non-starter but refused to give a reason why.  Something untouchable about him apparently.  We need to stop fucking around and get our hands dirty like everyone else.

Not to cloak it up but UCLA isn’t hiring a Born and raised Texan. UCLA arrogance is why they have issues hiring a coach, well that and their cheapness. That’s why Kentucky struggled with BCG and why Cal was the only right person for the job in the end. Culture fit is dumb but an amazing phenomenon. It’s why Shaka doesn’t work at UT and why many other good coaches can’t translate success from school to school. It is a disease carried by fans and boosters that infects students and admins. Then the coach tries to change to become part of the culture so he isn’t destroyed but in the end the coach has left everything that made him a good coach to begin with. Culture is a cancer than makes the coach slit his own throat in the end. 

This is why UCLA needs the strongest personality coach out there. One with a track record that no one, even the biggest booster, can deny. That’s why I’m so sold on pitino at UCLA. He’s the only one who fits the position. Any other coach will start hearing footsteps and whispers the second he doesn’t dominate at UCLA. 

The cheapness narrative is a little played out, and certainly won't be the case with this hire.  The athletic dept has money and donors.  We are paying Chip north of $4 mil per year, and while that is not astronomical, we hired the coach we wanted and money wasn't going to be the difference.  And hell, Alford was making $2.5.  They'll go north of $4 mil for this hire without blinking.  But I agree, the expectations make it a less desirable destination.  Blowing out Howland after 3 FF's was the move that will haunt us in future hires.

And I don't disagree on the Pitino hire.  I would love it.  But I think in the wake of the admissions scandal, UCLA will try to steer clear of controversy.  Although sometimes controversial and quality go hand-in-hand.

Edited by Sbbruin

43 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

He’s got 4 more years. He proved he could coach in year 1. Now they’re letting him dump the roster and recruit his guys. He’ll get them to seniors and he will have them in the tourney. He’s recruiting well but is he recruiting guys who can win together? If he is then I’d say he is one of the best young coaches out there and not just another Archie Miller. 

Thanks for your post. I think Boynton is on the hot seat next year.  

I'm more of a seller on Boynton.... just think the Okie Lite job is too big for him right now.  Cowboy fans won't sit around long while Tech shines in Basketball with a Sutton  on Tech's coaching staff.   Soon Ok Lite will want to replace Boynton with a more proven Head Coach.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm more of a seller on Boynton.... just think the Okie Lite job is too big for him right now.  Cowboy fans won't sit around long while Tech shines in Basketball with a Sutton  on Tech's coaching staff.   Soon Ok Lite will want to replace Boynton with a more proven Head Coach.

You're delusional. They're not firing Boynton after three years. OSU has great history, but they're not Kansas.

You're applying a Texas football fan's mindset to an OSU basketball program that's being completely rebuilt.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You're delusional. They're not firing Boynton after three years. OSU has great history, but they're not Kansas.

You're applying a Texas football fan's mindset to an OSU basketball program that's being completely rebuilt.

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The cheapness narrative is a little played out, and certainly won't be the case with this hire.  The athletic dept has money and donors.  We are paying Chip north of $4 mil per year, and while that is not astronomical, we hired the coach we wanted and money wasn't going to be the difference.  And hell, Alford was making $2.5.  They'll go north of $4 mil for this hire without blinking.  But I agree, the expectations make it a less desirable destination.  Blowing out Howland after 3 FF's was the move that will haunt us in future hires.

And I don't disagree on the Pitino hire.  I would love it.  But I think in the wake of the admissions scandal, UCLA will try to steer clear of controversy.  Although sometimes controversial and quality go hand-in-hand.

I hope the cheap narrative is played out but even after the 2008 final four they agave howland a raise to 1.97million. They overpaid for Alford because no one else wanted the job. And even that overpay was only $2.5. Guy was a sub average coach so it was like they were setting a market for average coaches and saying “look we’ll pay for wins”.  The blue bloods are laying $4M plus on the table and Cal made 9 this year. UCLA is just a little behind in basketball because it so desperately wants to have football back. That being said, there isn’t a coach out there aside from maybe Bennett and Mack that I would pay more than 3M for. 

You are probably right on the scandal having an affect on the hire. Which might mean years more of wandering in the forest for UCLA. 

Edited by Jhawk

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

How much more time will Okie Lite give their current Head Coach Mike Boynton??

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, he has a few years to get his guys in place. If we miss the tourney next year there will be some discontent. If he misses the year after that the seat will get hot real quick but he'll get another year. If we miss after that, I would hope we'd be ready to move on. An exception will be if he ends up having to dump a bunch of players again next year for being fuck ups, in which case the seat will get hot quick, since they'll be his guys. I personally think he will be highly successful but I've been fooled before. 

7 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

All but certain that means Buzz to A&M. 

I understand it, but if you've got VT rolling, why not stay there until the Texas job opens?  

But...could you go from A&M to UT?  We don't play each other anymore. Anything is possible.  

SEC or...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

56 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Shaka's seat for the 2019-20 season just went from hot to scorching!!!

I would say it went from hot to cool. Who the fuck are we going to hire next year? Buzz and Beard are probably the best options for getting a proven coach and they will both be unattainable after this year. Who is going to be a better option next year? If we can't fire Shaka over $12M in buyouts we aren't going to fire him still owing him $9M. 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:47 AM, Jhawk said:

Not to cloak it up but UCLA isn’t hiring a Born and raised Texan. UCLA arrogance is why they have issues hiring a coach, well that and their cheapness. That’s why Kentucky struggled with BCG and why Cal was the only right person for the job in the end. Culture fit is dumb but an amazing phenomenon. It’s why Shaka doesn’t work at UT and why many other good coaches can’t translate success from school to school. It is a disease carried by fans and boosters that infects students and admins. Then the coach tries to change to become part of the culture so he isn’t destroyed but in the end the coach has left everything that made him a good coach to begin with. Culture is a cancer than makes the coach slit his own throat in the end. 

You cannot be fucking serious.  Shaka's not winning because of culture fit????

• Like 2

Y'all missed the biggest news last week:

Morgan State declined to renew the contract of head basketball coach Todd Bozeman, who has been at the helm of the Bears program since 2006. After three postseason appearances (two NCAAs) in his first four years, on-court success has been minimal for Bozeman and company.

Bozeman was 195-217 overall in 13 seasons at Morgan, but had not had a winning record since 2013 and was just 9-21 this past year. The back-to-back NCAA Tournaments in 2009 and 2010 were also the last postseason bids of any kid for the program.

The initial hiring of Bozeman came with some controversy, as the coach’s last collegiate job ended with NCAA violations, improper benefits paid by the head coach himself, vacated games and NCAA appearances and ultimately an eight-year “show cause” penalty that kept him out of the college game for a decade.

But Morgan State was willing to take a chance that many other schools were not, making Bozeman (who was just 32 years old when he was fired by Cal in 1996) the first person to get another Division I head coaching job after received a “show cause” penalty.

Early returns were strong, but what was once considered a remarkable career rebirth for Bozeman eventually turned to mediocrity. As the highlights of this decade for Morgan State hoops are two 17-win seasons, athletic director Edward Scott felt it time to make a change.

“Although we are not offering Coach Bozeman a contract extension, we fully recognize and appreciate what he has meant to Morgan and our basketball program,” Scott said Wednesday in a statement. “We have very high expectations for our men’s basketball program and after conducting a comprehensive review, it became clear that we are not reaching our full potential on the court.”

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition