College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-basketball-cronin-dixon-calipari-20190401-story.html

UCLA's top two targets seem to be Dixon and Cronin. Of note, Shaka is listed as a fallback option.

Spoiler

The Bruins are also considering St. Mary’s coach Randy Bennett, Texas coach Shaka Smart and former Phoenix Suns coach and UCLA alumnus Earl Watson as fallback options, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-basketball-cronin-dixon-calipari-20190401-story.html

UCLA's top two targets seem to be Dixon and Cronin. Of note, Shaka is listed as a fallback option.

Reveal hidden contents

The Bruins are also considering St. Mary’s coach Randy Bennett, Texas coach Shaka Smart and former Phoenix Suns coach and UCLA alumnus Earl Watson as fallback options, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

FWIW, last Friday John Feinstein linked Shaka to UCLA on a DC sports radio program. 

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's disgusting.  It will be hard for me to ever give a rip about Hoiberg again.  I want Nebraska to lose every game they play in every sport, ever.

Fyi Al4ISU....

Fred Hoiberg adds ex-Iowa State assistants Matt Abdelmassih, Charlie Henry to Husker staff

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/fred-hoiberg-adds-ex-iowa-state-assistants-matt-abdelmassih-charlie/article_1decbd7b-9a5a-5d13-b224-84aedef3fde3.html

Also Fred was a Nebraska football fan as a kid.

Quote:  "Despite growing up in Ames, Iowa, Fred Hoiberg was actually a big Husker football fan. As a kid he frequently watched an old recording of the Game of the Century. “I wasn’t alive, but my parents had a video,” Hoiberg said in 2015. “That was the best.”

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/who-is-fred-hoiberg-things-you-may-not-know-about/article_c4d3604a-7a15-51ef-a642-9721d8106d7e.html

Fred has some killer dance moves.....

Edited by LTtxfan

16 hours ago, El Squared said:

Shaka being mentioned speaks volumes toward UT dump marketing prowess.

hopefully UT heavy hitters are putting a buy in package together for UCLA

send them $500,000 cash and $5,000 in Best Buy gift cards (for new UCLA basketball AV equipment) and they take him off the hands of Texas free and clear

41 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't see how Dixon is a huge get at this point.

arrogance just like dana holgar at UH (UH being much worse arrogance)

places look and think "well we offer way more than they do as an institution and program and if he could do that there!"

generally forgetting that what you did 30 years ago means jack shit now or forgetting that if all those "built in advantages" you have really mattered as much as you think well you would already be taking advantage of them and not continuing to suck dicks for a decade or more

45 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Looking like Sampson was never contacted/in play with Arkansas and will sign new deal with UH.

Rumor du jour is that Eric Musselman may be headed to Arkansas.

Guess Sampson 's agent just made Arky their Bitch...... Fertitta gonna pay Sampson!!

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Never in play? Ooookay

The "never in play" part of that meant never in play for Arkansas.  As in he was happy at Houston and never even considered the job and it was all speculation.  Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  Since Yurachek was with him at UH until a year ago, I imagine he had a pretty good idea of whether Sampson would consider leaving or not.

Edited by Don Johnson

His final game at Pitt was very similar. Maybe the kids sensed something. If he does get hired in a day, or two, that’s pretty crappy that his agent is negotiating another job while he is coaching another team.

Brad Underwood lost our tourney game at 2:00 pm and was announced as Illinois head coach at 9 am the next day. Pure scumbag move. Leaving sucked but the fact he was negotiating a new job instead of coaching is despicable. I hope he keeps losing every season until he’s dead.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Brad Underwood lost our tourney game at 2:00 pm and was announced as Illinois head coach at 9 am the next day. Pure scumbag move. Leaving sucked but the fact he was negotiating a new job instead of coaching is despicable. I hope he keeps losing every season until he’s dead.

Which is why the transfer rules have been such shit.  

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ouch.  Leaving his alma mater.  Gotta sting a bit for the Froggies if true. 

TCU is a hopeless pit of despair for any basketball coach. The environment is terrible as is the fan support. Good for him for getting out of that mess.

And also lol @ UCLA fans that thought they were going to get any better than this wet fart hire.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Do you quit your current job before you start interviewing for new jobs?

19 minutes ago, pops said:

Dixon makes sense 6 or 7 years ago, but man, that seems like a shit hire for UCLA now. 

Dixon has proven to be a quality coach.  He took over for Howland and kept that going at Pitt for a number of years.  And to turn TCU into any semblance of a competitive team is a feat in my mind.  Is he the splash hire I hoped for?  No.  Is he lightyears better than Alford.  Unquestionably.  He just needs to recruit coachable players.  Not the prima donnas we have had for the last few years.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Dixon has proven to be a quality coach.  He took over for Howland and kept that going at Pitt for a number of years.  And to turn TCU into any semblance of a competitive team is a feat in my mind.  Is he the splash hire I hoped for?  No.  Is he lightyears better than Alford.  Unquestionably.  He just needs to recruit coachable players.  Not the prima donnas we have had for the last few years.

I think he just got stale at Pitt.  He clearly still has it with what he was able to do at TCU.  UCLA might get a lot of energy from him and I would guess that he has them in the tourney in the first year.

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I have always thought Buzz was a good coach but never understood why he left Marquette for a sideways step to Va Tech and now another sideways step to aggy. Just a weird career path.

I agree with this but then you kinda look at the timing of his moves.  The Big East was extremely strong when he got into the head spot at Marquette but was decimated in 2012-2013 with conference realignment.  They didn't get shit for TV money and the schools with decent markets were plucked at will by bigger conferences.  So he goes to VTech because he won't have to overcome a resources gap to compete with bigger schools, just a talent and location gap, which he arguably was already battling at Marquette.  He proves he can still coach while at VT and Aggie has a top 5 budget in college athletics in a top 5 recruiting hotbed for basketball and they're in a conference that has been coming on strong in basketball in the last 2 years.

I know that no one here will ever see why you go coach at A&M but when you think about it, the move makes total sense and he is only 46 years old.  If Buzz does well at aggie and pushes them to the top 2-3 in the SEC and gets an elite 8 or two while there then he will be in line by age 53-55 to take over one of the truly historic programs in cbb.  Coaches don't have hatred of schools like fans do.  Coaches don't see aggie as a cesspool.  They see schools like that as either a place they can win, a place they can get paid, or a place they can use to further their career, and sometimes all 3.  It's actually a great move for buzz because he will have the ability to get all 3 there if he just maintains being the coach he is with newfound resources and recruiting grounds.

I have always thought Buzz was a good coach but never understood why he left Marquette for a sideways step to Va Tech and now another sideways step to aggy. Just a weird career path.

He saw what those yokels shelled out to Jimbo and sees dollar signs. That and his love for livestock.

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

UCLA doesn't even charter flights for their athletes,  and nobody in L.A. seems to care about college sports.  I'm not sure why people keep falling for the fallacy that UCLA is a great job.  

It is a historic job, not necessarily a great one.  That being said, good coaches can win big there.  Fuck, even steve lavin had a decent run there.  Great coaches probably won't head west because great coaches can win anywhere.

• Like 1

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

UCLA doesn't even charter flights for their athletes,  and nobody in L.A. seems to care about college sports.  I'm not sure why people keep falling for the fallacy that UCLA is a great job.  

The charter flight thing is changing with this hire.  and the "nobody seems to care about sports in LA" narrative is just stupid.  The Dodgers have led MLB in attendance for I don't know how many years, the Lakers are one of the most high demand tix in sports in spite of sucking, and at UCLA, when we're winning, Pauley is packed and rocking.  People just don't live and die by sports, and that's fine.  Too many people from too many places.  UCLA is an elite job.  And people in the know would agree.

• Like 2

I think he's pretty smart about it in a craven kind of way - he's trying to stay ahead of the disappointment curve.  He took Crean's easy first-round out Marquette team and took them to Sweet Sixteen mainstay.  About as high as you can expect year-in/out there.  So he gets a big raise and goes to Va Tech and takes them from nothing to 3 straight tournaments and then the Sweet Sixteen.  Again, pretty high up the expectation ladder for that program.  So time to cash in again with a low ceiling/high dollar gig at Aggy. 

This way he never has to be around for the regression to the mean, nor does he get criticism for underwhelming relative to expectations.

21 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I think he just got stale at Pitt.  He clearly still has it with what he was able to do at TCU.  UCLA might get a lot of energy from him and I would guess that he has them in the tourney in the first year.

He did not want to move to the ACC, but there was no other choice. His recruiting, and thus results, were all trending down. Like I have said before here, I think our last 25 or 30 games against ranked opponents Jamie's teams were either 5-20, or 5-25, against those ranked teams. Boeheim didn't want to make the move either.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. I liked Jamie, personally as well as a coach, but things were not going in the right direction. He was given raises, it seemed every time a job out west opened up. Our last year with Jamie he was the seventh highest-paid coach in the tourney, and the results did not warrant that $$.

In Jamie's last five seasons at Pitt his teams were 112-63, pretty good, but only 45-45 in conference. The final three seasons were in the ACC, he went 11-7, 8-10 & 9-9 in the ACC. The highest the team was ranked in those 5 seasons was #16 in 2012-13, #18 in 2013-14 and #12 in 2015-16.

I don't think that will be acceptable at UCLA.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

This way he never has to be around for the regression to the mean, nor does he get criticism for underwhelming relative to expectations.

I won't speak for Marquette, but Virginia Tech had minimal history and expectations for their basketball program to begin with. Taking them to three straight NCAA tournaments is an accomplishment in itself, never mind the Sweet 16.

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition