College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I've always liked him - hope he lands on his feet. 

This one hits close to home. Good buddy is on his staff. Haven't dared call him yet to get the details. 8MM buyout so it was a little surprising. But for what they pay him he has severely underachieved. 

[mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] are you a fan?

No.

He’s a hell of a recruiter, but hasn’t proven anything as an HC.

He’s very close with our AD, and it’s no secret that he was going to be handed the job when Hoiberg left, but the university President at the time stepped in and pulled rank. That President is no longer here.

Our AD has done some incredible things for this university. From major facility upgrades, to steering us through Armageddon, to hiring Hoiberg and Campbell. He’s also an egotistical dweeb that pinches pennies like a motherfucker and harbors a barely contained sentiment that in some regards ISU is still “the little school on the prairie” and we shouldn’t expect or demand much.

This feels like a cheap, lazy, “I wanna hire my buddy” move.

I see Otz’s ceiling as making the Dance as a 7-10 seed 3/4 of the time. Maybe one conference tourney title in 10 years. Better than where things are, but not as good as what our program is capable of.
  • Like 1

Also of note:

-It's been 12 hours since this story broke and no one has officially confirmed it.

-In yesterday's video address, our AD went out of his way to say "if you aren't hearing it directly from me, it's probably not true".  Almost as if he knew this was coming and wanted to get out ahead of it.

This is probably just wishful thinking on my end, but it does seem worthy of noting.

Trivial curiosity for you, @Al_4_ISU: Was this past season historically bad, as in the worst ever? 

Not trying to rub salt into any wounds. Just mystified as to how things got so bad.

Anyway, congrats on the new hire. Looking forward to seeing Hilton returned to its inhospitable glory and hope Otz is the man to do it.

27 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Trivial curiosity for you, @Al_4_ISU: Was this past season historically bad, as in the worst ever? 

Not trying to rub salt into any wounds. Just mystified as to how things got so bad.

Anyway, congrats on the new hire. Looking forward to seeing Hilton returned to its inhospitable glory and hope Otz is the man to do it.

Yes.  This was the worst ever as far as I know.

I mean, it's hardly possible for anyone at any level to do worse.

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2021 at 12:31 PM, Sandman said:

But you don't get boosters to drop 10s of millions for a buyout and a new contract just to hire some up and comer.

I imagine 'boosters' largely means Mark Cuban. If he doesn't have at least 10 NBA head coaches on his speed dial, he for sure knows all of their agents and knows which ones are likely to listen to an IU offer.

I'm not aware of any other college basketball program in the country that has a billionaire superfan who's as much of a basketball insider as Cuban. Should make the job search interesting.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I imagine 'boosters' largely means Mark Cuban. If he doesn't have at least 10 NBA head coaches on his speed dial, he for sure knows all of their agents and knows which ones are likely to listen to an IU offer.

I'm not aware of any other college basketball program in the country that has a billionaire superfan who's as much of a basketball insider as Cuban. Should make the job search interesting.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Cuban wanted to keep Miller. 

10 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

All of the speculation I've read says the opposite.

Unless he changed his mind

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article249627248.html

Much in the same way the Dallas Mavericks “needed” a Mark Cuban type when he bought the team in 2000, his alma mater now needs similar “assistance.”

Not happening.

“Let me tell you about IU fans. What I love most is that every single one of us is a coach. They know basketball better than any coach IU has ever had,” Cuban said in an email on Tuesday.

Having been raised in Indiana myself, Cuban is correct.

“As a result whenever there is a bad game I get emails from Hoosiers telling me I should buy out the coach because they would have run a better side out of bounds play than [insert the coach’s name here] did,” Cuban wrote. “This has been going on for almost 20 years.”

“I don’t get involved in it at all. I’m here for Coach Miller to help him, not replace him,” said Cuban, who graduated from IU in 1981. “This is a crazy year across the board and I love IU and IU Basketball, but I also am not one to panic.”

39 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

He claimed he wouldn't put any money into a buyout or a new coach. He's given plenty to IU, he has his name on a building or something. 

On 3/17/2021 at 6:39 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Also of note:

-It's been 12 hours since this story broke and no one has officially confirmed it.

-In yesterday's video address, our AD went out of his way to say "if you aren't hearing it directly from me, it's probably not true".  Almost as if he knew this was coming and wanted to get out ahead of it.

This is probably just wishful thinking on my end, but it does seem worthy of noting.

So it was true....

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What are you hearing today? Indiana boards are buzzing.

I don't know anything other than your usual message board crap. Buncha goobers waxing poetically about Brad Stevens and how "It's gonna happen!!". Honestly reminds me of this place during the Urban situation. I give it a 5% chance of happening.

33 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I don't know anything other than your usual message board crap. Buncha goobers waxing poetically about Brad Stevens and how "It's gonna happen!!". Honestly reminds me of this place during the Urban situation. I give it a 5% chance of happening.

Certainly reminds me a lot of the Urban situation. Rumors that y'all offered 7/$50M.

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

So many, many McRibs will be consumed? 

Nicole will post nudes? 

Edited by Underdog

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition