College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I wish Beard ended up here, but GT is more uppity than UT and probably wouldn’t touch him:

I think that Mike Brady haircut worked against him, as well as his team stinking up the joint.

48 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I don’t see Pitino in Texas. I think St. John’s makes so much sense.

Tech has formed a search committee that consists Kirby Hocutt (AD), Dusty Womble (biggest basketball donor, our new practice facility is named after him), Norense Odiase (former player under Tubby Smith and Chris Beard), Joey McGuire.

The Pitino thing is likely a nothingburger and Rothstein's source is almost certainly his agent who's just jockeying for leverage for his client. Pretty common tactic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tech has formed a search committee that consists Kirby Hocutt (AD), Dusty Womble (biggest basketball donor, our new practice facility is named after him), Norense Odiase (former player under Tubby Smith and Chris Beard), Joey McGuire.

The Pitino thing is likely a nothingburger and Rothstein's source is almost certainly his agent who's just jockeying for leverage for his client. Pretty common tactic.

Unfortunately, only one of those people know the real ins and outs of college basketball, and even then only as a player.  Don't get me wrong, he's dyed in the wool red and black, and that is a great thing.  I also like having Joey Mc on the search committee because he knows the kind of coach that would fit Tech.

I hope Womble's only role on the committee is to consult on how much he's willing to donate to the salary.  To me, that is the only role for a BMD.

Yeah. This should be a lesson to every school that can give the head job to the interim guy. He did well with Marshall’s leftovers but they all transferred out the following year. he hasn’t been able to recruit to the same level Marshall did. Odd because he was the lead recruiter and good at it. Two years down the drain. 

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

Paul Mills (ORU coach) is gonna get alotta attention from schools with open jobs.  He's an aggy grad and was an asst coach at baylor from 2003-2017. And at age 50, it means he can probably coach at least 10+ years...  

Andy Kennedy seems like a meh type of hire if tech is serious...

On 3/10/2023 at 3:22 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

I think that Mike Brady haircut worked against him, as well as his team stinking up the joint.

I don’t see Pitino in Texas. I think St. John’s makes so much sense.

I dont know, man.... banging an Allsup's lot lizard while housing a fried burrito sounds like 10 seconds of heaven to me. And I guess it can still be, since Rick apparently prefers eye-talian skanks. I'll have to brush up my resume.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:48 PM, LTtxfan said:

Paul Mills (ORU coach) is gonna get alotta attention from schools with open jobs.  He's an aggy grad and was an asst coach at baylor from 2003-2017. And at age 50, it means he can probably coach at least 10+ years...  

Andy Kennedy seems like a meh type of hire if tech is serious...

The ORU, Baylor, Aggy trifecta? There is no way that dudes brain isnt beyond fucked up at this point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I dont know, man.... banging an Allsup's lot lizard while housing a fried burrito sounds like 10 seconds of heaven to me. And I guess it can still be, since Rick apparently prefers eye-talian skanks. I'll have to brush up my resume.

The ORU, Baylor, Aggy trifecta? There is no way that dudes brain isnt beyond fucked up at this point. 

Uh, might be a little generous for Pitino. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Pitino should kill it in St. Johns if he still has the energy (and by all accounts it looks like he still does).  6 year deal for a 70 year old coach is interesting.  Last round of 64 appearance was 2015.  1 tournament win and 4 appearances since 2000.  What a shit state that program has fallen into.  My bet is if Pitino coaches all 6 years on that contract he doubles their appearances in the real tournament (I don't count that opening round Dayton bullshit that they lost on a Tuesday night and were gone before anyone filled out their brackets- you can if you want to I guess) and wins a half dozen games (at least) in the tournament and makes at least 1 SS. I'd love to see a FF and he could there I suppose, but that's a big ask from where they are right now.  

Good hire at GTown too.  It would be nice to see Hoya paranoia back. That was fun for college hoops when those 2 schools were good.  

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Rick Pitino is lucky he was banned from the ncaa 

He's a scumbag.  And it's probably bullshit but he was exonerated.  And Miller at AZ was probably worse and he got kept on and went immediately to another job. I doubt Rick did anything Bill Self didn't and he served a 5 game suspension in November 1 year. 

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He's a scumbag.  And it's probably bullshit but he was exonerated.  And Miller at AZ was probably worse and he got kept on and went immediately to another job. I doubt Rick did anything Bill Self didn't and he served a 5 game suspension in November 1 year. 

Nobody in college athletics really cares anymore what these coaches do. Hugh Freeze out front shoulda told ya. Hell, Nate Oats just got a fat fucking raise, and his players are out there killing folks. Just win, baby. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Blotto said:

Nobody in college athletics really cares anymore what these coaches do. Hugh Freeze out front shoulda told ya. Hell, Nate Oats just got a fat fucking raise, and his players are out there killing folks. Just win, baby. 

Yeah- except us apparently. B/c we got rid of a guy that's not even facing any charges that was going to kill it for 20 years at our school.  But by and large, yeah, anything goes if you win enough at most places. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- except us apparently. B/c we got rid of a guy that's not even facing any charges that was going to kill it for 20 years at our school.  But by and large, yeah, anything goes if you win enough at most places. 

Eh - I think it's more that no one cares what coaches let their players do.  I think teams still care when their coaches commit violent felonies, but admittedly there is not a ton of evidence on that subject either way.

My guess is that if Beard had come out after the incident with a statement like he did after the charges were dropped (i.e., apologizing for letting everyone down), he would still be coaching at Texas.  Instead, his lawyer wrote a bunch of crazy letters to UT admins and he ended up getting canned.

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Meh.

I hope Goodman is wrong (again).  Grant has been a good coach at UNT, but in six years, I would not say he has lit the world on fire (as compared to what Beard did at Arkansas-Little Rock, a comparable position.)  One NCAA appearance and two NIT appearances in six years.  He has a career HC win% of .697 and a current win% at UNT of .667.  His previous HC jobs were at Midwestern St. and Arkansas St.

UNT this year was #1 in scoring defense, but #326 in scoring offense.  I'm sorry, but that just isn't going to cut it (as evidenced by the fact they are in the NIT right now and not the Big Dance).

I feel like Tech is settling with the "safe" hire.

Edited by Uncle Nate

There aren't really any home run hires out there. McCasland is as good as any and has demonstrated some solid coaching chops. We'll see.

Interesting tidbit we were fed today by a very credible source is that Beard reached out to Tech and just said it with his full chest that he'd like to come back (prior to his talks with Ole Miss I assume). I find that pretty amusing if true, and it wouldn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Context behind this is likely that our biggest donor met with Billy Donovan to gauge his interest. Moon shot, for sure, but it doesn't hurt you to try. I'm sure they at least contacted Jerome Tang and Randy Bennett among others. McCasland has always seemed most likely, or the ex-Spurs assistant guy who I'm blanking on the name of at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Context behind this is likely that our biggest donor met with Billy Donovan to gauge his interest. Moon shot, for sure, but it doesn't hurt you to try. I'm sure they at least contacted Jerome Tang and Randy Bennett among others. McCasland has always seemed most likely, or the ex-Spurs assistant guy who I'm blanking on the name of at the moment.

James Borrego, the former Hornets head coach?

That coaching changes twitter account has said several times that Donovan has been talking to college programs. I believe it. FYI he was the first person to call McCasland to UNT even before the Big 12 tournament. 

Donovan is clearly gauging interest with college programs and trying to find the right landing spot.  

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That coaching changes twitter account has said several times that Donovan has been talking to college programs. I believe it. FYI he was the first person to call McCasland to UNT even before the Big 12 tournament. 

Donovan is clearly gauging interest with college programs and trying to find the right landing spot.  

Come Austin Powers GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Paul Mills from ORU takes the WSU job. Wasn’t my first choice but seems like he has the fire that our fired coach lacked. He took ORU to a S16 a year ago and back to the tourney this year. See if he can talk our portal guys into coming back and we might have a fighting chance in the reshuffled American next season.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Had no idea the AD went to Tulsa for the wrestling championships and not Des Moines for the R32 game. Should tell you where PSU’s priorities are. 

Meh...PSU won the national championship. I'm not too surprised the AD would attend that event over the weekend rather than a second round NCAA game. 

Just now, Blotto said:

Meh...PSU won the national championship. I'm not too surprised the AD would attend that event over the weekend rather than a second round NCAA game. 

Maybe but considering how futile PSU’s basketball history is, it was a big deal. It’s probably the worst job in the B1G though. 

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Had no idea the AD went to Tulsa for the wrestling championships and not Des Moines for the R32 game. Should tell you where PSU’s priorities are. 

Well, also Shrewsberry attended a Catholic high school in Indianapolis and then later was the head coach at the University of Indiana at South Bend from 2005-7. Notre Dame was probably his dream job. 

Russ Springmann is the new coach at Oral Roberts. It's been a winding journey for that guy. He's very straight laced and religious, so Oral Roberts is a good fit for him in that regard. He was my favorite assistant at Texas. We don't get Durant without Springmann on staff. He was the first person to offer Durant a college scholarship and he stayed on him for the next four years. Durant doesn't even visit Texas without Springmann. I hope he has great success.

https://ktul.com/news/local/oral-roberts-announces-russell-springmann-as-new-mens-basketball-head-coach

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition