College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

I cannot believe that porter moser isn’t getting any love for a bigger job. I know a lot of that is his team is still playing but I don’t even see fans on various message boards talking about him for openings. I think he’s a great hire for Marquette, Iowa state (filled already), OU is possible but i think he’d be better near the upper Midwest. Minnesota should have taken a run at him. 

what is the blemish on him? Can’t recruit?

12 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I cannot believe that porter moser isn’t getting any love for a bigger job. I know a lot of that is his team is still playing but I don’t even see fans on various message boards talking about him for openings. I think he’s a great hire for Marquette, Iowa state (filled already), OU is possible but i think he’d be better near the upper Midwest. Minnesota should have taken a run at him. 

what is the blemish on him? Can’t recruit?

Supposedly he's already married into bigtime Chicago money, so he doesn't need the pay raise or the pressure when he's got a good thing going in a basketball talent hot bed. 

43 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Porter Moser is definitely getting love for jobs, but it’s always followed up by “he’s genuinely happy where he is.” Why leave that for the fire that is Indiana?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-cb-loyola-basketball-porter-moser-20210325-3vpjonmmy5c6fjznm3zrzgja6e-story.html

More background to the "happy being in Chicago" aspect... 

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

I like Holtmann and wouldn’t want to see him leave. He’s had some huge wins but also some really baffling losses. Last year he beat Villanova, UNC on the road in the Big Ten - ACC Challenge, and Kentucky at a neutral site. He started out 11-2, had them ranked #2, and there was talk about them being a possible Final Four team. Then there was an inexplicable late season collapse.

I just hope he wins a conference championship of any kind soon or makes it to the Sweet 16. But he’s probably safe at tOSU for a good while without accomplishing any of those things. He at least got to the conference championship game this year, coming back from 17 down to force overtime against Illinois, flipping the script on the earlier games in the tourney and a bunch during the regular season. 

10 minutes ago, Teryor said:
Very interesting hire that almost feels like Woodson insurance should things go south

Already buying insurance replacement policy before the new guy even steps on to IU campus...

Great Job Emu !!!

R6bdddc15f1b5b17e0d796ee2af7957eb?rik=4d

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

He was getting a raise regardless.  My guess is SCar reached out to gauge interest before keeping Martin, but MB was going to drastically increase his dead last $800k salary no matter who came calling.  

I don’t think Souf Carolina reached out at all because they knew they weren’t making a change.  Martin’s buyout is too big.  That was always the issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Homercles said:

He was getting a raise regardless.  My guess is SCar reached out to gauge interest before keeping Martin, but MB was going to drastically increase his dead last $800k salary no matter who came calling.  

Seven years is a little surprising, but $3 million per is still low by conference standards. Maybe he took less per year for longer term? It's still better than the 10 years we stupidly gave Travis Ford, but we did that after one season with Sean Sutton's recruits. Boynton has proven he can coach and recruit and win with his own players. We need to keep this core together though, we've had way too many transfers and disciplinary cases the last few years.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:51 PM, Underdog said:

Boomer should try and poach the ORU coach, wouldn't cost too much for relocation. 

He's a Jesus freak and would not fit at OU (or anywhere else really in my opinion). Scott Sutton was fired in part because new administrators had some ridiculous rules for athletes, like no tatoos, virginity pledges, and other weird stuff. Read a few articles about ORU coach Paul Mills, he fits the bill perfectly. I don't think his attitude would work anywhere other than an ORU or LIberty type school. They may be part of our city, but I'm no ORU fan. The man was a fraud, the school is weird as fuck, and their rules on benign stuff is full cloak room and rubs me the wrong way. I'm a fan of cross-town rivals University of Tulsa anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

He's a Jesus freak and would not fit at OU (or anywhere else really in my opinion). Scott Sutton was fired in part because new administrators had some ridiculous rules for athletes, like no tatoos, virginity pledges, and other weird stuff. Read a few articles about ORU coach Paul Mills, he fits the bill perfectly. I don't think his attitude would work anywhere other than an ORU or LIberty type school. They may be part of our city, but I'm no ORU fan. The man was a fraud, the school is weird as fuck, and their rules on benign stuff is full cloak room and rubs me the wrong way. I'm a fan of cross-town rivals University of Tulsa anyway. 

Heard that goes on a lot at ORU.

Speaking of ORU, what do you call two gay guys named Bob?

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Muss to Arizona?  

Per IT mods, chatter is picking up.

If Muss is going to Arizona before UT has finished their search, then the search is already over. No need to rush on his part unless he already knows we have our guy and he needs to get this deal done while UT can still be used as possible leverage. Too much potential NCAA baggage laying around to rush into the job with UT open.

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Will be interesting to see the dominoes fall if Beard comes to Texas. Tech is thought to be a frontrunner for Grant McCasland if that happens, and OU would have to pivot to someone like Turgeon or Quannas White (UH assistant).

I'm still trying to figure out why Turgeon keeps popping up in these discussions. 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Just read something truly fascinating about Indiana basketball. Of its top six winningest coaches, three are Hall of Famers (Everett Dean, Branch McCracken, Bob Knight). The other three? Tom Crean, Mike Davis, and fuckin Archie Miller! Three guys they've fired in the last twenty years. .

That shocked me. 

Could have something to do with the comparatively longer seasons in the current era. 

But Indiana fans will never be satisfied with anything ever again. And that's just fine by me. 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Just read something truly fascinating about Indiana basketball. Of its top six winningest coaches, three are Hall of Famers (Everett Dean, Branch McCracken, Bob Knight). The other three? Tom Crean, Mike Davis, and fuckin Archie Miller! Three guys they've fired in the last twenty years. .

That shocked me. 

I wonder where Frank Solich and Bo Pelini rank among Nebraska's winningest football coaches?  I'm assuming its 3rd and 4th behind Osborne and Devaney.

IU basketball is definitely NU football.  

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition