MillerEP

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

is this a comic book movie or horror?

Yes.

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Looks like The Golden Child II

No.

No, no, no, no, no.

Sandman is a comic of horror ... and also myth. Where the devil plays piano in a nightclub, leaving Hell to be run by angels. (Yes, that TV series Lucifer is a Sandman spinoff.) Where Death is a goth chick, Desire is androgynous (literally), and a baby will become Dream... but Dream must first die at the hands of the Furies (Erinyes), first. Where the power of Dreams becomes a drug, a way to mass murder, a place to hide from the world and live out one's fantasy marriage, and an immortal entity who finds his humanity through a human who found immortality. ("Death's a fool's game. Just don't die," he brags drunkenly, but does so within earshot of Death and Dream, who just happen to be in the same pub at the time. "It might be interesting?" Dream says to Death. "Sure, why not? Death responds." And so Dream will meet the man once a century in that pub from then on...)

Edited by Rimbo

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Drops tomorrow--Friday, August 5th.  Think I heard 8 pm and can't remember if it's the full season drops or first few episodes. Marc Maron interviews Neil Gaiman on WTF.

Netflix doesn’t drop anything that late and is all at once 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/30/2021 at 3:11 AM, Rimbo said:

Sandman is a comic of horror ... and also myth. Where the devil plays piano in a nightclub, leaving Hell to be run by angels. (Yes, that TV series Lucifer is a Sandman spinoff.) Where Death is a goth chick, Desire is androgynous (literally), and a baby will become Dream... but Dream must first die at the hands of the Furies (Erinyes), first. Where the power of Dreams becomes a drug, a way to mass murder, a place to hide from the world and live out one's fantasy marriage, and an immortal entity who finds his humanity through a human who found immortality. ("Death's a fool's game. Just don't die," he brags drunkenly, but does so within earshot of Death and Dream, who just happen to be in the same pub at the time. "It might be interesting?" Dream says to Death. "Sure, why not? Death responds." And so Dream will meet the man once a century in that pub from then on...)

200.gif

I kid. I just find Gaiman to be insufferable as a person.

• Haha 3

The woke casting is fucking stupid and annoying. Why do you need to replace an old white male character with a young female black chick? 

And STFU if you're one of progressive leftists who think they own this site, because I'm sure all of you would be just fine with casting Zendaya as Alfred in the next Batman reboot.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

The woke casting is fucking stupid and annoying. Why do you need to replace an old white male character with a young female black chick? 

And STFU if you're one of progressive leftists who think they own this site, because I'm sure all of you would be just fine with casting Zendaya as Alfred in the next Batman reboot.

Go to bed, grandpa. 

23 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

The original graphic novel had a transgender character. It also portrayed Desire as genderless.

In one volume, Dream manifests as a black man who falls in love with a woman in ancient times.  Characters appearances change all the time in the comics depending on the time period and location.

The person who wrote the graphic novel was also one of the show runners.

Also, one character was changed to a female because Netflix didn't have the rights to John Constantine.

There is nothing at all to be angry about.

Edited by fellside
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 11:36 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Username checks out. 

On 8/7/2022 at 12:00 AM, fellside said:

The original graphic novel had a transgender character. It also portrayed Desire as genderless.

In one volume, Dream manifests as a black man who falls in love with a woman in ancient times.  Characters appearances change all the time in the comics depending on the time period and location.

The person who wrote the graphic novel was also one of the show runners.

Also, one character was changed to a female because Netflix didn't have the rights to John Constantine.

There is nothing at all to be angry about.

You seem deliberately obtuse.

Nothing you listed above has any bearing on my original comments. 

I never mentioned transgender characters, just Lucienne being an old white man,  but now a young black female. He was never transgender. Or black. Like casting Zendaya as Batmans Alfred. Jarring and makes zero sense.

Death is a pale, goth white girl, who has also now been swapped for a black chick. Death was not race/gender fluid in the books.

All of this shit is basic race/gender politics and virtue signaling ruining good stories (WoT, too many recent films to list).

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

You seem deliberately obtuse.

Nothing you listed above has any bearing on my original comments. 

I never mentioned transgender characters, just Lucienne being an old white man,  but now a young black female. He was never transgender. Or black. Like casting Zendaya as Batmans Alfred. Jarring and makes zero sense.

Death is a pale, goth white girl, who has also now been swapped for a black chick. Death was not race/gender fluid in the books.

All of this shit is basic race/gender politics and virtue signaling ruining good stories (WoT, too many recent films to list).

The show is pretty damn faithful to the comics. Some scenes are word for word.  Episode 6 in particular was one of the best adaptations I've seen.

Sorry you don't like black people man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 hours ago, fellside said:

The show is pretty damn faithful to the comics. Some scenes are word for word.  Episode 6 in particular was one of the best adaptations I've seen.

Sorry you don't like black people man.

I would be pissed if the original characters were replaced with Inuit, Hmong or Mayan actors.

Political/race/gender based casting will always be stupid and unnecessary. 

It’s a weird hill to die on. Like my neighbors complaining that the traveling Beauty and the Beast show cast Belle as a black woman.  I told that woman “I’m sorry you care so much about race of a fairy tale princess. You’re literally like ‘In this house Belle is a white!’”

You and she sound the same. Like Megan Kelly telling me Jesus or Santa is supposed to be white 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:24 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Btw- great show. I just saw the episode with Death and really liked it

That one was pretty rough. 

Unfamiliar with the source material, but I don’t see how changing death’s or lucienne’s race/gender has any bearing on the story, nor why it would be sacrosanct.  

i rather liked the idea of death as a gentle, comforting new friend that helps transition you to the next thing.  That’s the important change to the traditional anthropomorphized visage of death. 

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That one was pretty rough. 

Unfamiliar with the source material, but I don’t see how changing death’s or lucienne’s race/gender has any bearing on the story, nor why it would be sacrosanct.  

i rather liked the idea of death as a gentle, comforting new friend that helps transition you to the next thing.  That’s the important change to the traditional anthropomorphized visage of death. 

This version of Death was so good. Like they had a friend in the end. Even the baby (boy that scene made it a little dusty)

Just finished.  Absolutely fucking loved it. Was a little hesitant about they change with death at first, but it ended up working perfectly.  Amazing actress.  

Acting, editing, camera work are all great. Might be the most “well done” Netflix show to date. 

hope to god they get to finish the series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

rather liked the idea of death as a gentle, comforting new friend that helps transition you to the next thing.  That’s the important change to the traditional anthropomorphized visage of death. 

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

This version of Death was so good. Like they had a friend in the end. Even the baby (boy that scene made it a little dusty)

This.  And Gaiman was very involved with this aspect/adaption apparently.   I’ve seen him raving about the series going back a few months, but it’s not just hype.  Can see why he was pleased.

Surprise!

Netflix’s hit fantasy series “The Sandman” hasn’t been renewed just yet, but if you want more from the adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved comic book series, your dreams (sorry) just came true.

Right now you can watch “A Dream of A Thousand Cats / Calliope,” a brand new. surprise bonus episode of “The Sandman,” featuring guest stars Sandra Oh, Michael Shannon, James McAvoy, David Tennant, the great Derek Jacobi, and many more.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, Js1 said:

I was a actually a little surprised because I really like the actress but wasn’t as moved as I expected to be; that particular story (including the part about Hob Gadling) is the one I recall best from reading the graphic novels 15 years ago.  In the book she feels like such a breath of fresh air in part because Dream is at turns remote or an asshole.  

As long as we’re commenting on race/gender changes from the source material, this is probably a really good property for updates because those changes shouldn’t be carrying the baggage they might elsewhere (I.e., these entities should be capable of being reimagined as anything).  Dream I presume is the least mutable because he’s Gaiman’s avatar.  

The extra episode was fantastic. I was wondering how they would do the third book since it's just a collection of disparate fables, and doing a bonus episode is a smart way to do a couple of them.

Also it seemed like the most frame-for-frame copy of the comics other than episode 6.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bonus was fun. 

On 8/19/2022 at 11:14 PM, fellside said:

The extra episode was fantastic. I was wondering how they would do the third book since it's just a collection of disparate fables, and doing a bonus episode is a smart way to do a couple of them.

Also it seemed like the most frame-for-frame copy of the comics other than episode 6.

This