Neil Gaiman's Sandman (Netflix)

MillerEP

Never read the graphic novels, but the Mrs. and I enjoyed this, though me more than her. She got a bit tired with all the mopey emo glasseating bullshit out of Dream. 

Does he get less morose as the story unfolds? I think that she's still in for S2 (assuming that Netflix doesn't cancel it, of course), but if I can assure her that he's less of a brooding crybaby later on, then that dramatically boosts the chances. And she really liked the two "bonus stories" so we're ending on a high note (relatively speaking) already. 

On 8/6/2022 at 12:36 AM, rage-a-holic said:

The woke casting is fucking stupid and annoying. Why do you need to replace an old white male character with a young female black chick? 

And STFU if you're one of progressive leftists who think they own this site, because I'm sure all of you would be just fine with casting Zendaya as Alfred in the next Batman reboot.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:34 AM, Js1 said:

Go to bed, grandpa. 

On 8/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, atomheartbevo said:

It’s like “tell us you’ve never read much of Neil Gaiman, without telling us!”

On 8/7/2022 at 12:00 AM, fellside said:

The original graphic novel had a transgender character. It also portrayed Desire as genderless.

In one volume, Dream manifests as a black man who falls in love with a woman in ancient times.  Characters appearances change all the time in the comics depending on the time period and location.

The person who wrote the graphic novel was also one of the show runners.

Also, one character was changed to a female because Netflix didn't have the rights to John Constantine.

There is nothing at all to be angry about.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:58 PM, hornian said:

Username checks out. 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, utee94 said:

I know nothing about the graphic novel, but watched the first two episodes last night and really liked it.  I reckon I'll finish it.

Casting seems fine to me.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:17 PM, rage-a-holic said:

You seem deliberately obtuse.

Nothing you listed above has any bearing on my original comments. 

I never mentioned transgender characters, just Lucienne being an old white man,  but now a young black female. He was never transgender. Or black. Like casting Zendaya as Batmans Alfred. Jarring and makes zero sense.

Death is a pale, goth white girl, who has also now been swapped for a black chick. Death was not race/gender fluid in the books.

All of this shit is basic race/gender politics and virtue signaling ruining good stories (WoT, too many recent films to list).

On 8/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, YChang said:

Yeah what’s more messed up is Dr. Sharon driving around professor Lupin!

On 8/10/2022 at 11:22 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s a weird hill to die on. Like my neighbors complaining that the traveling Beauty and the Beast show cast Belle as a black woman.  I told that woman “I’m sorry you care so much about race of a fairy tale princess. You’re literally like ‘In this house Belle is a white!’”

You and she sound the same. Like Megan Kelly telling me Jesus or Santa is supposed to be white 

On 8/20/2022 at 7:39 AM, burntorangebongos said:

I bet Rage would have been fine with the changes had they made them all young Latinas that can get lost walking around the block...so you know, hot.

Neil's response to the critics:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, this settles it, I love Gaiman's material.  I once interviewed him in Austin about his works (not this "Sandman" material admittedly).  But as I understand it, some of his make-believe characters which actually don't exist in real life...they've been adapted as negroes?  Is that correct?  This is madness!  Holy fucking shit.  What's next, Little Orphan Annie cast a black girl?  This cannot stand.  These are proven historical figures for our nation.  I once played Harriet Tubman as a middle aged, mixed-race, alcoholic male.  

Some of you guys are such fucking cunts.  it's so fucking sad.  

Just finished S1 and really enjoyed it.  Agree with the poster above that the only misstep was in casting Patton Oswalt as the raven.  

I took a JanTerm at Austin College in 1997 on Visual Storytelling.  Somehow, the professor got Neil Gaiman to come and give a couple of lectures.  I feel like he really took something away from that class

OK, on a Netflix show, I don't step into a thread until I finish it completely.  No spoiler tags needed for me.

I thought this was an 11 episode show.  So after the 10th one, I'm all - ok, let's do this finale! Then we start with the stupid cats and I'm way confused. Finished the ep and I'm seriously scratching my head.  I come to read this and realize what the deal is.  So I rewatched the end of ep 10.  Oh, that was a season cliffhanger, not just an episode cliffhanger!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...