DAVID LEE ROTH Says He Is 'Retiring'

RPM

David-Lee-Roth-2021-vmas-billboard-1548-

VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth will retire after the last concert of his Las Vegas residency in January. "I'm throwing in the shoes," Roth told the Las Vegas Review-Journal on Friday (August 1). "I'm retiring. This is the first, and only, official announcement. … You've got the news. Share it with the world."

He added: "I'm not going to explain the statement. The explanation is in a safe. These are my last five shows."

"It's been an amazing, great run, no regrets, nothing to say about anybody. I'll miss you all. Stay frosty."

Wait, he was still performing?

Edited by RPM

saw him the last time through at COTA.  hadn't seen him with VH since 1984 tour.   Roth was the same as he always was as it relates to singing.  people just forgot he really never could "sing" so they all complained.  was it worse because he couldn't hit the falsetto high notes, yep.

Setlist was amazing(thanks Wolf) and Eddie was incredible and that's all that really mattered.  I'd have taken Roth's "singing" for 15 more years or so of Eddie playing those Roth years VH tunes.

without Eddie there is no reason to see DLR and its been that way for a while now.

It may have taken a long time to get Dave's vocal performances in the studio, but they got them.

Some interesting quotes from Templeman:

https://www.vhnd.com/2020/05/16/ted-templeman-if-id-tried-to-put-sammy-hagar-in-van-halen-in-1977-id-have-made-the-biggest-mistake-in-rock-history/

I've heard some isolated vocals from his Vegas shows in recent years that are unbearably bad.  Almost certainly some combination of 1) he is mostly deaf now, and 2) he got old (it happens) and lost the strength and control of the muscles required to hit notes.

Those recent ones were a big contrast from his early vocals.... lots of them out there on youtube, and they are somewhere between really good and great:

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/3/2021 at 3:14 PM, Paul Wesley said:

It may have taken a long time to get Dave's vocal performances in the studio, but they got them.

https://www.vhnd.com/2020/05/16/ted-templeman-if-id-tried-to-put-sammy-hagar-in-van-halen-in-1977-id-have-made-the-biggest-mistake-in-rock-history/

I've heard some isolated vocals from his Vegas shows in recent years that are unbearably bad.  Almost certainly some combination of 1) he is mostly deaf now, and 2) he got old (it happens) and lost the strength and control of the muscles required to hit notes.

Those recent ones were a big contrast from his early vocals.... lots of them out there on youtube, and they are somewhere between really good and great:

yeah I was only talking about live Roth.  he nails the songs(after many attempts) on the records.   He was basically one of a kind and have to admit he had some swing that the later imitators didn't have.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/3/2021 at 4:14 PM, Paul Wesley said:

Thanks for that link.  Going to have to pick that book up.  Templeton has always intrigued me.