That ain't Shelley, Urban...

SarkAfterDark

57 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Texas football in the last 7 years: 3 sub .500 seasons

Urban Meyer's last 7 years of coaching.: 83-9

But the times are different. 2022 isn't anything like 2018. Just night and day. It's all lasers and holograms now.

Not like anything has changed to make college athletics exactly like the pro's or anything. You know, the place where Urban Meyer failed in spectacular fashion. Didn't last one single season.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There seems to be an underlying perspective among many Texas fans that either (a) every coach is an equal shitbag or (b) more winning overcomes more shitbaginess.

I dispute both.  Sorry, I don't want Urban Meyer at Texas, because I have a graduate degree from this fine institution and I don't want to be associated with that man, even tangentially.  I mean, Mack Brown wore out his welcome, but he is 10X the man that Urban Meyer is.  It's possible to not have to dredge the trenches to find capable football coaches.

I don't want him at Texas because I think he's a fucking buffoon that's lost it and can't take the trash out without getting embroiled in some new scandal. 

The Urban thread was like 18 months ago at this point. Not only can and should opinions change based on happenings over a timeframe like that but people can change, too, and in this case become less qualified to run a program like Texas. Why Urban is somehow above falling off as a coach after being a massive failure in the NFL and having his personal life blow up in his face I'm not sure. If anyone thinks college is so different then explain all of his terrible hiring decisions and how that would be any different in college. 

Sark - or any coach for that matter - deserves more than one fucking season before anyone with a functioning brain advocates for one of the biggest current laughing stocks in the profession over him. Urban needs to go prove it at a smaller program again before any big time school hands him the keys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Texas football in the last 7 years: 3 sub .500 seasons
Urban Meyer's last 7 years of coaching.: 83-9
But the times are different. 2022 isn't anything like 2018. Just night and day. It's all lasers and holograms now.

NIL and Urban Meyer’s documented slapdick spectacular failure with the Jaguars are game changers. I have a hard time envisioning his success here at this time at UT. Move on.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There seems to be an underlying perspective among many Texas fans that either (a) every coach is an equal shitbag or (b) more winning overcomes more shitbaginess.

I dispute both.  Sorry, I don't want Urban Meyer at Texas, because I have a graduate degree from this fine institution and I don't want to be associated with that man, even tangentially.  I mean, Mack Brown wore out his welcome, but he is 10X the man that Urban Meyer is.  It's possible to not have to dredge the trenches to find capable football coaches.

Your fucking degree means nothing in college football landscape. Pussy bitch talk. That’s why we’ve fucking sucked outside of a 5 year run for 40 years cause people have some holier than thou view. Just win baby. 

• Like 1

We definitely SHOULD NOT have coaches whose personal lives have blown up in their faces. Like guys whose stripper girlfriend's monkey eats neighborhood kids or one who was regularly showing up drunk to work. Unthinkable at THIS institution of moral integrity and academic excellence.

NIL changes everything! How and why? Well... uh.... I won't really bother to explain but I will say it with confidence and that should be enough!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Carroll had an overall winning record, a division title, and two playoff appearances in 4 seasons. Saban was 9-7 and then 6-10.

Those aren’t at all comparable even without the spectacular implosion off the field.

If Jimmy Johnson had been fired, or for some other reason couldn't remain as Cowboys coach, after his first season in Dallas people would be convinced he was an all-time horrible NFL coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of the responses on this thread are hilarious.

If Sark resigned tonight and Urban was announced as the new coach tomorrow morning, in no time Surly would be united as never before in joyfully proclaiming that Texas football is, at long last, truly in a state of resurgence that will include a national title(s).

And you'd be right.

That Mr. Meanie tough guy shit--coming from a guy who's got more skins on the wall than Ed Gein--would be the perfect salve for a big part of UT football's wounds.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

high quality GIF

Our last 3 hires have been…. Underwhelming.

19 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Absolutely.

Let's do the full rehabilitation tour. Hire PR firms. Set him up with some kind of Cool Austin Preacher and take photos at the church. ESPN interview about lessons learned. Cooking show with Shelley.

I'm all in.

Do we get 10+ wins? Do I get to pet Bevo?

Fuck it I'm in. Might as well lean into the clownshow thing.

Nah fuck Urban.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Your fucking degree means nothing in college football landscape. Pussy bitch talk. That’s why we’ve fucking sucked outside of a 5 year run for 40 years cause people have some holier than thou view. Just win baby. 

Fuck off.  Any time I'm on the other side of the argument from you, I know I'm doing it right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

"The program" is in year 2 of a new regime, the first year of which saw exactly one -- ONE -- player from a #3 ranked junior class contributing shortly after the season started.

You'll excuse me if I dismiss your classic Texas fan hand-wringing the moment you sense a lack of perfection.  

I hate our fans.  Pussies, almost every one of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

We definitely SHOULD NOT have coaches whose personal lives have blown up in their faces. Like guys whose stripper girlfriend's monkey eats neighborhood kids or one who was regularly showing up drunk to work. Unthinkable at THIS institution of moral integrity and academic excellence.

NIL changes everything! How and why? Well... uh.... I won't really bother to explain but I will say it with confidence and that should be enough!

It's been explained you maroon. Players aren't gonna be scared of or respect Urban anymore when they make as much money as he does. And your whole "2018 wasnt that long ago" is a moronic take as well. 5 years is an eternity in any sport.

Edited by Pam Cummings

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's been explained you maroon. Players aren't gonna be scared of or respect Urban anymore when they make as much money as he does. And your whole "2018 wasnt that long ago" is a moronic take as well. 5 years is an eternity in any sport.

There’s is a difference between a high school to college athlete. You’re making a lot of assumptions with no basis of facts. Fuck outta here puss 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So if he were alive, you'd be OK with Paterno?

Hard to tell about summa y'all assholes. Man wins twice as many games as his predecessor, doesn't even take a full season to do it, and leaves the successor to win yet another game. Triple the wins as previous season. TRIPLE! And you call him a failure. SMH.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

Some of the responses on this thread are hilarious.

If Sark resigned tonight and Urban was announced as the new coach tomorrow morning, in no time Surly would be united as never before in joyfully proclaiming that Texas football is, at long last, truly in a state of resurgence that will include a national title(s).

And you'd be right.

That Mr. Meanie tough guy shit--coming from a guy who's got more skins on the wall than Ed Gein--would be the perfect salve for a big part of UT football's wounds.

No I would not be thrilled if we switched coaches after one fucking season. That's some absolutely retarded, bush league shit. The transfer fallout alone would be ridiculous. A ton of - if not the majority - of Texas fans would be incensed if the AD pulled some shit like that. I wouldn't say the majority of Texas fans even wanted Urban here when we had an actual vacancy at the position - and Surly was never completely united in wanting him. Don't base your entire view of the fanbase or even Surly on a few prominent assholes that are never fully satisfied with the coaching staff regardless of results. 

Also - no one gives a fuck what you think would or wouldn't return Texas to prominence. Go share those shitty takes on TexAgs.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No I would not be thrilled if we switched coaches after one fucking season. That's some absolutely retarded, bush league shit. The transfer fallout alone would be ridiculous. A ton of - if not the majority - of Texas fans would be incensed if the AD pulled some shit like that. I wouldn't say the majority of Texas fans even wanted Urban here when we had an actual vacancy at the position - and Surly was never completely united in wanting him. Don't base your entire view of the fanbase or even Surly on a few prominent assholes that are never fully satisfied with the coaching staff regardless of results. 

Also - no one gives a fuck what you think would or wouldn't return Texas to prominence. Go share those shitty takes on TexAgs.

Always a pleasure. 

• Haha 1

I can see why people wouldn't want Urban here for morality, his personality and mess that stems from that (e.g., his "disciplinary conduct" as Jags head coach), his bar-scene faux pas and his sketchy past at tOSU and UF. But the view that his on-field performance in one NFL season means he has lost it and would fail in "new era" CFB? Doesn't carry much weight to me, even if NIL is making the CFB  landscape more akin to the NFL in that players are getting paid (some handsomely). See Nick Saban's run with the Dolphins (clearly unsuccessful even if much better than Urban's attempt) and let me reconsider when CFB institutes a draft and/or NIL-analog to a salary cap. 

While I don't think timing is right such that Sark should be canned and replaced tomorrow if it were an option, put me in the "win at almost all costs" and "Urban is not bad enough to where I would not still want him as the UT head coach" camp. I still think he would crush it on the field here. And as far as tarnishing the sterling reputation of the University, outside extremes situations like PSU, BU and the like for which Urban falls shy of risking from a morality perspective (IMO), my view is that the vast majority of people who pay even some degree of mind to CFB (let's set the bar low - they can name 10+ CFB head coaches) largely disassociate the academic institution of the university from the branch that is its football team in forming their perception of the former.

In sum, absent extremes (child diddling, rape coverup, etc.), would prefer playing in the mud of the success with others over riding solo atop of the high horse of mediocrity. Whether that's coach selections, paying players or otherwise. Urban is no doubt muddy, but not caked in so much that he so much as shivers and it splatters across the walls of Belmont.

Thanks for reading my blog. 

27 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

I can see why people wouldn't want Urban here for morality, his personality and mess that stems from that (e.g., his "disciplinary conduct" as Jags head coach), his bar-scene faux pas and his sketchy past at tOSU and UF. But the view that his on-field performance in one NFL season means he has lost it and would fail in "new era" CFB? Doesn't carry much weight to me, even if NIL is making the CFB  landscape more akin to the NFL in that players are getting paid (some handsomely). See Nick Saban's run with the Dolphins (clearly unsuccessful even if much better than Urban's attempt) and let me reconsider when CFB institutes a draft and/or NIL-analog to a salary cap. 

While I don't think timing is right such that Sark should be canned and replaced tomorrow if it were an option, put me in the "win at almost all costs" and "Urban is not bad enough to where I would not still want him as the UT head coach" camp. I still think he would crush it on the field here. And as far as tarnishing the sterling reputation of the University, outside extremes situations like PSU, BU and the like for which Urban falls shy of risking from a morality perspective (IMO), my view is that the vast majority of people who pay even some degree of mind to CFB (let's set the bar low - they can name 10+ CFB head coaches) largely disassociate the academic institution of the university from the branch that is its football team in forming their perception of the former.

In sum, absent extremes (child diddling, rape coverup, etc.), would prefer playing in the mud of the success with others over riding solo atop of the high horse of mediocrity. Whether that's coach selections, paying players or otherwise. Urban is no doubt muddy, but not caked in so much that he so much as shivers and it splatters across the walls of Belmont.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

He just covered up domestic violence, where is that on your scale?

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, 6th Street said:

It's been over a decade since Texas has been relevant in football. If it takes Urban Meyer and his stupid antics to lead us out of the desert, then so be it. Our last 3 hires have been atrocious. At least we know Urban wins games.

Charlie Strong was atrocious.  TH/SSark were/are not.  

• Hook 'Em 4

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...