Has anyone renewed a passport recently?

lemonlime

5 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

The expedite fee I paid was the $60 to Dept of State, not a 3rd party private company.  Not sure it really sped things up, but at least made me feel better about maybe getting it back sooner.

The sixty bucks straight to State is legit and will speed things up, it’s a stated and up front fee that’s designed for people who need to travel fast. Gets your application to an adjudicator faster, but it will not get special treatment once there— if some problem arises, it will have to be addressed. 

It’s the private companies that are screwing people. They don’t do anything but drop off your shit at a passport agency. When you’re talking to them, ask directly “what do you do, exactly, for this fee.” If they insinuate anything like greasing palms or special relationships with acceptance agents or agencies, then realize that they are insinuating they are bribing federal workers and committing passport fraud.  There’s a reason that it’s mostly winks and hand-waving, they aren’t really doing any of that shit. 

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The sixty bucks straight to State is legit and will speed things up, it’s a stated and up front fee that’s designed for people who need to travel fast. Gets your application to an adjudicator faster, but it will not get special treatment once there— if some problem arises, it will have to be addressed. 

It’s the private companies that are screwing people. They don’t do anything but drop off your shit at a passport agency. When you’re talking to them, ask directly “what do you do, exactly, for this fee.” If they insinuate anything like greasing palms or special relationships with acceptance agents or agencies, then realize that they are insinuating they are bribing federal workers and committing passport fraud.  There’s a reason that it’s mostly winks and hand-waving, they aren’t really doing any of that shit. 

I'm sure you're right about this; in my circumstance the *supposed* backlog was the USPS.  If you're expediting the renewal of a minor's passport you have to visit the USPS to confirm you're the parent, take a quick interview, and sign an additional document.  That was represented as being a 3-6 month wait. Could be bullshit, but I suspect USPS employees might be easier to grease than Federal passport employees.

My wife's company uses the service often, as employees and clients travel internationally frequently.  She sent me there to get this done ASAP. So sitting in the chair listening to his spiel, I had an Angel on one shoulder, Devil on the other.  Angel said, Hey man, get up and do a little research, check this out, sounds like this might be bullshit, don't be a schmuck and pay an outrageous fee.  The Devil said, Hey, fuckstick, you want to pay the $1200 and get this done now, or possibly get divorced?

As usual, Devil wins.

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I'm sure you're right about this; in my circumstance the *supposed* backlog was the USPS.  If you're expediting the renewal of a minor's passport you have to visit the USPS to confirm you're the parent, take a quick interview, and sign an additional document.  That was represented as being a 3-6 month wait. Could be bullshit, but I suspect USPS employees might be easier to grease than Federal passport employees.

My wife's company uses the service often, as employees and clients travel internationally frequently.  She sent me there to get this done ASAP. So sitting in the chair listening to his spiel, I had an Angel on one shoulder, Devil on the other.  Angel said, Hey man, get up and do a little research, check this out, sounds like this might be bullshit, don't be a schmuck and pay an outrageous fee.  The Devil said, Hey, fuckstick, you want to pay the $1200 and get this done now, or possibly get divorced?

As usual, Devil wins.

You do have to personally appear for any minor passport application. It’s just that the 3-6 month wait made me roll my eyes and the 1200 fee made me choke. USPS has a locator form where you can check and see, I tried it out with a few TX zip codes and found next day or next week appointments pretty easy.  And it also doesn’t have to be USPS, you can go to a passport agency. 

https://tools.usps.com/rcas.htm?_gl=1*5p7i7q*_ga*MTMxMjgwODA5Mi4xNjU5MDY5Mjk5*_ga_3NXP3C8S9V*MTY1OTA2OTI5OS4xLjAuMTY1OTA2OTI5OS4w

Anyway, just to bookmark for other people who are looking.  FYI; most of the expediter services also do visas for some foreign countries and sometimes those services are legit. 

• 1 month later...

My renewed passport has officially been designated as lost by the USPS.  I filled out some form called a DS86 form and snail mailed it off (lol) and now wait and probably miss the two international trips coming up quickly. 

This is beyond infuriating.  Five hundred bucks for this bullshit scam.  

On 9/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Just mailed mine off at the Post Office with the expedited fee ($130 renewal + $60 expedited).  Will report back on turnaround time.

I did the same on Monday.   Sent Priority Mail to that Philly PO box.  As of now, it's showing "expected delivery today by 9 PM" which means Tuesday for processing purposes.  The GF is going to keep an eye on the checking account to see when the check clears. 

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

My renewed passport has officially been designated as lost by the USPS.  I filled out some form called a DS86 form and snail mailed it off (lol) and now wait and probably miss the two international trips coming up quickly. 

If you've legit got International trips (ticketed) you can get an emergency passport. 

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Ugh that fucking sucks. Sorry brother

Sent my renewal in on Aug 26, as of today the Passport websites says “Processing”.  I paid all the expediting and quick delivery fees, as I can expense all that stuff, so $208.32 (I think) altogether.  Should I receive some type of receipt from the State Department, or did I screw up by not taking a photo of my check and application before sending?

6 hours ago, futureman said:

has anyone here ever renewed their passport at an american embassy in a foreign country?

Was traveling with a colleague and his passport was stolen. Went to the consulate the next day and he got a new one in a matter of hours. I think it was good for 6 months. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 5:33 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Sent my renewal in on Aug 26, as of today the Passport websites says “Processing”.  I paid all the expediting and quick delivery fees, as I can expense all that stuff, so $208.32 (I think) altogether.  Should I receive some type of receipt from the State Department, or did I screw up by not taking a photo of my check and application before sending?

Received my new passport today.  So Aug 26 sent off and received Sept 13.  18 calendar days. 

On 9/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, PilotsError said:

The replacement for the one they lost arrived yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, Gil Bang said:

I did the same on Monday.   Sent Priority Mail to that Philly PO box.  As of now, it's showing "expected delivery today by 9 PM" which means Tuesday for processing purposes.  The GF is going to keep an eye on the checking account to see when the check clears. 

If you've legit got International trips (ticketed) you can get an emergency passport. 

So I sent my expedited application out on August 29th.  "Priority Mail".  Expected delivery 9/4.   No delivery on 9/4, USPS website today shows "in transit, arriving late".  I was panicking like a mofo when a week went by and still not showing delivered, assuming that it would be a HUGE PITA if the mail lost the old passport and the application and check.  Fortunately, the GF noticed that the check was cashed on 9/3, and the passport status website shows that it's in process. 

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

We're going to go stand in line at the Travis County District Clerk.  Not ideal but trying to schedule an appointment for a minor is like pulling teeth.

Don't. Go to lampasas. It's the same time commitment and you can make a fun drive out of it with lunch and a good chicken fried steak 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So I sent my expedited application out on August 29th.  "Priority Mail".  Expected delivery 9/4.   No delivery on 9/4, USPS website today shows "in transit, arriving late".  I was panicking like a mofo when a week went by and still not showing delivered, assuming that it would be a HUGE PITA if the mail lost the old passport and the application and check.  Fortunately, the GF noticed that the check was cashed on 9/3, and the passport status website shows that it's in process. 

It's shipped one day priority US Mail, I have learned.  If it's not there the next day, it's not coming, I have also learned.

Go ahead and print the DS-86 form now.

I hope your situation is the exception.

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

It's shipped one day priority US Mail, I have learned.  If it's not there the next day, it's not coming, I have also learned.

Go ahead and print the DS-86 form now.

I hope your situation is the exception.

USPS actually made the delivery, they just missed updating the website showing the delivery...it's only "lost" on the USPS tracking site.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, Gil Bang said:

Just received (yesterday) an email telling me that my renewal has been approved and the passport is being printed.

Edited by Gil Bang
muledick

34 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

"Piles of paperwork" is a crock of fucking shit. Online is the same shit as mail-in, minus the postage. 

Tell me you’ve never had your paperwork “lost” in the Houston passport office while trying to get a same day passport without telling me you’ve never had to deal with those incompetent assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, I guess he thinks they will print out what you submit online? This move to online is the very definition of eliminating paperwork. Who knows if it will eliminate their incompetence.

Anything that allows me to do it 24hrs a day vs scheduling an appointment weeks in advance to some not so convenient location during government not convenient "hours"...only to be told you forgot to bring some random exact payment money order or personal check I'm all for it.

• Hook 'Em 2

So even if you mail it in it’s always best to print your firm out and make sure it has the barcode they can scan from the online form generator. This helps them just push it through super quick cuz they can just scan it and it populates their system and they just compare instead of having to enter it by hand once they receive your handwritten version. 

https://pptform.state.gov/PassportWizardMain.aspx

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Tell me you’ve never had your paperwork “lost” in the Houston passport office while trying to get a same day passport without telling me you’ve never had to deal with those incompetent assholes.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

or sent it in "hoping" to not have to start all over

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, I guess he thinks they will print out what you submit online? This move to online is the very definition of eliminating paperwork. Who knows if it will eliminate their incompetence.

Tell me you never saw my posts slightly upthread where I discuss receiving my new passport in about 3 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Tell me you never saw my posts slightly upthread where I discuss receiving my new passport in about 3 weeks. 

Which had nothing to do with paperwork at the passport office and was a USPS problem? Ok. No big deal I just am all for something like this where it’s online and whoever processes the application in the passport office can do it all on a computer instead of burying it under a pizza box after lunch like they did to mine. And trust me I understand they can figure out ways to fuck this up too.

I'm kind of perplexed at how there are literally zero appointments available in the greater Austin area to renew a minor? I mean, the county office and every post office show not a single one, and won't show past October anyway. And I hadn't realized the Travis County passport office has gone to appointment only.

Has anyone gone to the Global UT one, where you just walk in? They say they only take a few each day and you should get there before they open, so sounds like a barrel of fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

My last new passport I got while in Argentina, late 2013/ early 2014.

Could pay in US dollars or ARG pesos. 😎

Due to government controls on locals buying foreign currency, you could get a 50%+ bonus on the exchange rate if you sold your dollars in shady exchange houses or to expats & even locals who understood the situation.

I paid about US$70-ish for my new passport and it arrived in a couple of weeks. 

That was two presidents ago when things ran much more smoothly in the State Department. 💪🏼

Now the street rate is nearly twice the official rate, so I may just schedule a trip next year and renew while down south. 🤌🤌