House of the Dragon

crash_davis

The scene with Rhea Royce was classic GoT.
She's non-stop talking shit to him, even hitting below the belt in more ways than one, so Daemon gets her horse to rear up and crush her.  She still can't shut up.  He was going to walk away and leave her paralyzed, but one last smart ass remark and he decides that she "died" when thrown from her horse.
Loved it.
And I absolutely loved Daemon smacking Ser Gerald down when he thought he'd get in Daemon's face a little bit.  I actually think it would be much more fun of a life to be a second-born prince versus having to be the king.

Some ambiguity here but I interpreted that he premeditated to murder her at this spot on her usual rides in a remote spot. He is kind of a dumbass, so maybe he just lost his temper and decided to injure her badly and maybe expect no consequences, but then was goaded into finishing her off her off

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can somebody explain why a Targ married a Royce and not Arryn? House Royce isn't even the Guardian of the East/Vale. 

I get they want to hold/appease the Vale, but Royce seems like a minor house for a Targ/potential heir marriage. 

Viserys was paired with the Arryn.  So the brother got paired to the next best thing

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Probably the worst episode of the bunch. Caught the last 5 min of 9ers/Broncos on my phone that provided more entertainment than this. What a waste of an hour

I’m probably done with this show if things don’t change next week.

Wow I had the opposite reaction.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

and yeah, this show is still very slow and all over the place. i don't know how i'm supposed to be invested in these characters when they can't even stay the same age between episodes. i have no one who i obviously want to root for, nor do i really have anyone who i obviously want to root against. i'm still waiting for something to make me care. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Yeah, I liked this episode. But I thought the cripple’s motivation for killing his Dad and brother was poorly developed. 

Yeah. I don’t get what he’s doing. They never really show him interacting with his family so I don’t get the sense of decades of pent up hate and frustration like with Tyrion. He don’t have the background of poverty and trauma to motivate him like Littlefinger.

He feels powerless and overlooked so his big plan is to kill his father, the Hand of the King, and his brother, who has lands to rule in hopes of possibly receiving favor or blackmailing the Queen, who might never have a son sit on the throne.

Without sufficient backstory about his familial relationships it seems like he should be scheming more to advance his family’s interests over a Queen by marriage. 

Edited by Xminus6

5 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

Yeah. I don’t get what he’s doing. They never really show him interacting with his family so I don’t get the sense of decades of pent up hate and frustration like with Tyrion. He don’t have the background of poverty and trauma to motivate him like Littlefinger.

He feels powerless and overlooked so his big plan is to kill his father, the Hand of the King, and his brother, who has lands to rule in hopes of possibly receiving favor or blackmailing the Queen, who might never have a son sit on the throne.

Without sufficient backstory about his familial relationships it seems like he should be scheming more to advance his family’s interests over a Queen by marriage. 

Can't remember fully but at the feast for Aegon's name day, the Gimp went to sit with the women because I believe his father told him to, implying his father was ashamed of his son and he was not worthy of chatting with the other men of the court. He's like Qyburn, in a lower position and making his way up through whispers and scheming. He had no love for his father and Harrenhal is no prize given it's history. He can be the Queen's most trusted advisor and have something to hold over her now. Plus they need a way to bring Otto back and have another reason for Rhaenyra to want to end Alicent. 

I thought it was a great episode and the time jump was fitting. It's the 2nd half of the season and they had to reset things with the new leads. Now we get to play the game of which of the kids turns into the next Joffrey. My money is on the one jerking it out the window. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Wow I had the opposite reaction.  

I read some reviews after I read some posts on here liking it. Yea we’ll see what this larys guy develops into. I still haven’t had much of a cliff hanger feeling at the end of an episode since it began.

Like GOT and breaking bad I couldn’t wait for next week. With This show I’m constantly checking to see how much time is left

Two things on the Gimp storyline that bother me:

1) If he wanted to kill his father and brother for power, he could have done that at anytime; such an act at this time was supposed to be a bid to help Allicent (we are to assume I guess).  But what she primarily wanted was for people to admit she was right and the Princess' kids were illegitimate.  Getting her Dad back as hand was secondary, and likely could have been accomplished with a 5 minute conversation with the King ("yeah, I talked to the hand and the reason he wants to resign is precisely what I told you about that is now obvious to everyone - your daughter is banging his son and bore his kids). It's as if the queen said "man, I really want X," so the Gimp says "great, I'll do Y."  More background on his thinking here would have been much more helpful from an audience standpoint.  

2) he cuts the dudes' tongues out so they can't say anything about the super duper secret mission they are on, yet they wear his little bug emblem on their chest.  OK.

38 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Can't remember fully but at the feast for Aegon's name day, the Gimp went to sit with the women because I believe his father told him to, implying his father was ashamed of his son and he was not worthy of chatting with the other men of the court.

I agree--that scene from the 3rd(?) episode did some heavy but subtle lifting to foreshadow the  character and his wily ways. What was remarked upon a few pages back--are episodes slow vs how much explanatory material is needed seems to need a deft touch. Besides fast forwarding ten years, you had the whole Daemon/Laena(sp?) relationship storyline to follow, Ser Criston's further alliance with the Queen and his butthurt that has festered for ten years regarding Rhaenyra, the Strong family and its supposedly weakest link who pulls a Daemon Opportunity Strikes Move to succeed as heir as well as further confidant to the Queen, who seems smart enough to realize that her path is forever linked to this man through her knowledge and his. Agree with @bschoolprof that the scarab emblem was a puzzler since incognito arsonists should take a lesson from Daemon when they wear hoodies and show up in convenient locations where death occurs. But maybe that's another time that the writers decided to overplay their explanation (like the green dress)?

Oldest child of the Queen, Aegon(?) is giving off serious teenage boy Henry VIII vibes. Yeah, mom, forget being King unless it gets me more wimmens. Hell, if she'd have gone with that angle in his chambers instead of the lecture, she might have peaked his interest.

Oh, and what exactly was the Queen's daughter mumbling about when dragonless little brother came in to complain about being declared Lord of the Flies by his cohorts? We missed what she was saying...

The dragons were cool.

What I do enjoy is the continuing display of each character's very human flaws. Some are arguably worse than others, but it does make them more interesting.

Edit to add: with respect to Laena being able to go outside to her dragon; perhaps it was not that her caregivers (excluding her husband) did not notice, but that there are two tenets when a women is in labor: #1 do not argue with her and #2 do not argue with her.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
addition
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

Larys has been counseling Alicent for close to 15 years?  Feels like a Littlefinger play.  He's put his chips on her and Aegon ruling and is manipulating her.  Agree that they could provide us with a bit more context but some are complaining the show is moving too fast, while others are saying too slow.

I'm pretty much out. I've decided that if Sunday Night Football has a good game, I'll watch that and catch the Dragons during the week when I get around to it. Last night's game sucked, so I turned on the show, but kept football on my computer. The football game got more of my attention than the show and the game was awful.

I'll echo what everyone else complained about. I have no feelings (positive or negative) towards any of the characters. I guess I was supposed to be upset when what's-her-face committed suicide by dragon, but I didn't care. There had to be a better way to bring back the old hand than burning your dad and brother alive. 

28 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Ahhh forgot about that. Man that scene was badass

Yeah, I was a newb to GoT and actually wasn't really even watching.  Wife had that scene on and I was like "wtf?"

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Didn't Daemon fly through the fireball?  He must also be impervious to fire.

I would guess he is, yes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I read some reviews after I read some posts on here liking it. Yea we’ll see what this larys guy develops into. I still haven’t had much of a cliff hanger feeling at the end of an episode since it began.

Like GOT and breaking bad I couldn’t wait for next week. With This show I’m constantly checking to see how much time is left

I have to ask. If you feel that way, why do you continue to watch it?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, sccane92 said:

I have to ask. If you feel that way, why do you continue to watch it?

Agreed.  I'm not watching the new LoTR show on Prime because the first episode just didn't stick with me. I may give it a chance though.  But not only are some people watching a show they hate, they want to come and ruin the fun for everyone else.  

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Agreed.  I'm not watching the new LoTR show on Prime because the first episode just didn't stick with me. I may give it a chance though.  But not only are some people watching a show they hate, they want to come and ruin the fun for everyone else.  

Welcome to the internet 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and yeah, this show is still very slow and all over the place. i don't know how i'm supposed to be invested in these characters when they can't even stay the same age between episodes. i have no one who i obviously want to root for, nor do i really have anyone who i obviously want to root against. i'm still waiting for something to make me care. 

I'm here also.  Time jumps have pros and cons.

I do think the acting and story greatly improved last night with the older characters.  But it leaves a big gap.  What is it..15 years?  That we have to assume and speculate what happened between characters and their relationships. Lotta how? why? when?

I thought I would be team Queen Alicent...last night they painted her as super dominant, but maybe there is a good reason she is like this and against letting Rha rule.   Or maybe Rha is the better deserving option and the Queen is bad.....I don't know though because of the big time jump lol.  

Hate that Strong was killed so soon, awesome character.  Classic GOT.