House of the Dragon

crash_davis

too much plotting/internal royal strife.  needs another arc alongside all this to make it more interesting.  like the whitewalkers arc in GOT to drive a little (ok a lot) more action and intrigue.  turning into what i imagine real housewives of westeros would be like.  

previews looked good though.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

So far, Rings of Power is way much better than GOTD which is a boring soap opera.

i knocked out episode 1.. that galadriel girl and that healer chick from the well.. are hella fine. 

oh and young ned stark is elrond mr smith... 

i was snappin my fingers at that 

Edited by kingkoopa6

This season's halftime adjustments were as bad as Sark's. The 10 year jump with major roles being recasted is just so weird. We just sat through four episodes of backstory, local politics, and a bunch of palace intrigue...only to jump ahead 14 years and...establish that these two characters don't like each other?

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

considering the episode before it, was i supposed to suspend disbelief that the King would still be living by this point?

It's a mess.  This couldn't have been the plan from the beginning. We key in on the Viserys's nose dripping blood, he passes out...and oh, hey! Still kickin' 10 years later! It's like they changed course in the middle of production or something. Maybe they panicked and lost faith in the young actors? Something must have gone down with the way one of the showrunners quit after one season.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

too much plotting/internal royal strife.  needs another arc alongside all this to make it more interesting.  like the whitewalkers arc in GOT to drive a little (ok a lot) more action and intrigue.  turning into what i imagine real housewives of westeros would be like.  

previews looked good though.

I respect your POV, but I disagree somewhat (mostly with the latter comments). If another arc were to be introduced, then perhaps it could've been whatever was going on in the *Stepstones or some such locale, but with regard to the plotting/internal strife--that is the essence of the fall of the House Targaryan is it not? I suppose it's debatable given the scope (of the entire story of the book) that was discussed on earlier pages whether that type of topic would translate well, or if all viewers would enjoy it (disregarding any positive/negative reactions to writing etc). But with the selection of the story involving a reign of peace, I thought the focus was going to be primarily the plotting and internal family & House dysfunction that swings the pendulum back to war. And for the most part, it has done so. It does seem somewhat realistic in that regard. Powerful men using women, powerful women using men. Can't all be as straightforward as Ser Criston goading Strong into a hard right cross. Oliver Cromwell likely didn't imagine he would sign the death warrant for a king when he first set out in England, but there you have it. I'm way oversimplifying English history, but the throne and who sits on it leading to a Targaryan Civil War or some such has to have a lot of talk and dispute and rumor before the arrows and dragons fly, IMO.

*Not sure how they would've played this--the scene with Daemon in Episode 6 revealed that others in the area have concerns about protection and safety, and it was brought up in the little meeting with the council, but was pushed aside because of the power play between Rhaenyra and Alicent regarding their offspring. Looking inward instead of outward--just as Viserys is doing as his health fails.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Agreed.  I'm not watching the new LoTR show on Prime because the first episode just didn't stick with me. I may give it a chance though.  But not only are some people watching a show they hate, they want to come and ruin the fun for everyone else.  

nobody in here hates the show, and absolutely nobody who is critical of it is posting about to somehow ruin it for the rest of you. i can't even wrap my head around this phenomenon which permeates this forum like wildfire. how in the hell does someone else's differing opinion from yours ruin a show for you? i cannot even imagine someone else's opinion of a show i like ruining it for me, and yet we have to relive this same exact song and dance in every single tv show thread in this forum. the people who like the show wail and cry and lash out at those who are critical of it, claiming these posts ruin the show for you, while you angrily and seemingly through tears ask why we all can't just leave you to your safe space and stop ruining your show for you. my god y'all need to grow up. 

btw, why do y'all keep watching UT football if you hate it so much? and why do y'all complain about it, ruining it for the rest of us? i still like UT football, but every week you guys come here and trash the team and their performance and you ruin it for me. why are you guys like this? why don't you just stop watching and leave this forum to those of us who always think that every single game is great and perfect? why guys?????

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

considering the episode before it, was i supposed to suspend disbelief that the King would still be living by this point?

Maybe i am getting old, but all the characters names sound the same to me - closed captioning helps, but even then it is a struggle.

yeah i was shocked he was still alive. he appeared to be moments away from death in the last episode, then we fast forward a couple of decades and he's...healthier? that didn't make any sense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Something must have gone down with the way one of the showrunners quit after one season.

He remains as an executive producer, but I think the word was that he wanted to be in at the beginning (unlike GoT) and then pursue some other projects. It could just be industry nice-speak, but I guess I can see how long running shows may not be for everyone behind the camera. The news is that second season with have Alan Taylor (Mad Men and The Sopranos among others)  joining Ryan Condal as co-showrunners.

The King looked pretty feeble complete with people needing to help him up the stairs and his wife to tuck him into his seat. Didn't seem healthy to me and more like an elderly relative who's still hanging on to the surprise of the rest of the family. 

And again, we don't need White Walkers as they didn't return until the time Jon Snow arrived at the Wall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Didn't seem healthy to me and more like an elderly relative who's still hanging on to the surprise of the rest of the family. 

Wasn't he missing an arm? Going to have to hang on with whatever he's got. I'll have to rewatch that episode and see. Bits and pieces of him disappear just as people do.

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

nobody in here hates the show, and absolutely nobody who is critical of it is posting about to somehow ruin it for the rest of you. i can't even wrap my head around this phenomenon which permeates this forum like wildfire. how in the hell does someone else's differing opinion from yours ruin a show for you? i cannot even imagine someone else's opinion of a show i like ruining it for me, and yet we have to relive this same exact song and dance in every single tv show thread in this forum. the people who like the show wail and cry and lash out at those who are critical of it, claiming these posts ruin the show for you, while you angrily and seemingly through tears ask why we all can't just leave you to your safe space and stop ruining your show for you. my god y'all need to grow up. 

btw, why do y'all keep watching UT football if you hate it so much? and why do y'all complain about it, ruining it for the rest of us? i still like UT football, but every week you guys come here and trash the team and their performance and you ruin it for me. why are you guys like this? why don't you just stop watching and leave this forum to those of us who always think that every single game is great and perfect? why guys?????

Ruin it?   Poor choice of words on my part.  I’m enjoying it regardless of anyones opinion.  The question is why are you, not you specifically, watching. If you aren’t a fan of the show?  

42 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

This season's halftime adjustments were as bad as Sark's. The 10 year jump with major roles being recasted is just so weird. We just sat through four episodes of backstory, local politics, and a bunch of palace intrigue...only to jump ahead 14 years and...establish that these two characters don't like each other?

It's a mess.  This couldn't have been the plan from the beginning. We key in on the Viserys's nose dripping blood, he passes out...and oh, hey! Still kickin' 10 years later! It's like they changed course in the middle of production or something. Maybe they panicked and lost faith in the young actors? Something must have gone down with the way one of the showrunners quit after one season.

I think they hired the older rhaenyra first

how did daemon's wife get all the way out there without anyone stopping her? she's been in labor for hours yet she was able to slink out and get like a quarter of a mile ahead of the nearest person? that doesn't seem possible. 

She’s tough. Had a baby come out sideways. Didn’t scream or nuthin’
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Ruin it?   Poor choice of words on my part.  I’m enjoying it regardless of anyones opinion.  The question is why are you, not you specifically, watching. If you aren’t a fan of the show?  

for me personally i'm still hoping it gets better. it's got the familiar elects of GoT, it just doesn't have any storylines that i find compelling. at some point it'll either grab be, or i'll bounce. just haven't reached that point yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BERT said:

I find myself waiting for the King to die so the real chaos can begin

This is kind of where I'm at. My prediction is that he'll croak by the end of the season, which will set up an "oh shit" battle scene in the final episode. I, of course, could be off, but that seems fairly logical for a story line. Don't get me wrong though, I'm enjoying the show and liked the time jump. It's not GoT but more Downton Abbey.

If I were to offer a criticism so far what is missing is a Tyrion type of character and needs more sly comic relief, which several characters provide other than him in GoT.

I haven't read the b**k this is based off of, but my understanding is that the story is told from the perspectives of two competing visions from two very different characters. It seems that it'd be fun to involve them in the series as narrators for different scenes, which would offer opportunities for sly humor and side eyes.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I respect your POV, but I disagree somewhat (mostly with the latter comments). If another arc were to be introduced, then perhaps it could've been whatever was going on in the *Stepstones or some such locale, but with regard to the plotting/internal strife--that is the essence of the fall of the House Targaryan is it not?

no real disagreement.  we know the end result, i just wish they could have introduced a grander arc outside the castle politics.  Some broader Westeros issue that would amp up the tension on the rulers and was not solved in an episode and a half.  Maybe the jump in time makes that not work.  nothing has gone to the brink yet.

maybe just some gratuitous quelling of rebellion with a full wing of dragons :)

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Derka'd

• Hook 'Em 1

The King looked pretty feeble complete with people needing to help him up the stairs and his wife to tuck him into his seat. Didn't seem healthy to me and more like an elderly relative who's still hanging on to the surprise of the rest of the family. 
And again, we don't need White Walkers as they didn't return until the time Jon Snow arrived at the Wall. 

I actually like the character more in his enfeebled state for some reason. He makes more sense that way.