House of the Dragon

crash_davis

10 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It looks like they shot the night scenes in the day and darkened them, which was quite common in the old days (e.g., opening scene of Jaws).  I figured they did this in part due to all the bitching about the battle of winterfell being too dark to see.  I could see the night stuff just fine, but found it a little slow as always, before things picked up.

Does anyone else have trouble quickly following which kids belong to whom?  I always have to ask myself which one belongs to which.

The bitchy white haired white kids are from Otto's family.  Can't you see the resemblance?

r/HouseOfTheDragon - Otto Hightower as a dog
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

It was kind of a weird twist of character with Aemond being this little shit head.  I thought he was kind of a puss in past episodes especially how Aegon talks about him.  I guess dragon power gives you a new high.  Fuck him for punching a younger girl.  You just jacked their mom's dragon and she has only been in the ocean a few hours.

Yeah I mean he was tired of being the little pussy brother or uncle.  Speaking of uncle, not sure how much Daemon even loved his wife, but he doesn't seem to be the type to just let you mount her dragon either.  

Also, for a split second or so it looks like Cole was going to do the queen's bidding.

Edited by closetohumping

Daemon knows Aemond took it outright, which I bet is the Targaryen way. Like the soon to be cyclops said, the little girl should have claimed him. 

I'm ready for Cole and the Gimp to get what's coming to them but in true GRRM fashion, that probably won't happen. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Good shit. Children in a brawl - that's got to be a first.

That scene was entertaining and I feel bad for laughing when he knocked the shit out of his female cousin then when they ganged up on him 🤣.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Daemon knows Aemond took it outright, which I bet is the Targaryen way. Like the soon to be cyclops said, the little girl should have claimed him. 

I'm ready for Cole and the Gimp to get what's coming to them but in true GRRM fashion, that probably won't happen. 

The Gimp is a poor man's Little Finger. You never knew what scam Baelish was pulling this other guy is a hack.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, F250 said:

The Gimp is a poor man's Little Finger. You never knew what scam Baelish was pulling this other guy is a hack.

The only upside is if he wargs into the rats we keep seeing around the castle. Then maybe someone kills him while warged. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Does anyone else have trouble quickly following which kids belong to whom?  I always have to ask myself which one belongs to which.

It is kinda confusing bc the brunette Alicent has blonde kids, and the blonde Rha has brunette kids.  I also forget that Aemond and Aegon are actually the uncles of Rha's kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I would agree with this too.  Daemon may have been a bit perturbed but "taking" is the Targ way I bet.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

It looks like they shot the night scenes in the day and darkened them, which was quite common in the old days (e.g., opening scene of Jaws).  I figured they did this in part due to all the bitching about the battle of winterfell being too dark to see.  I could see the night stuff just fine, but found it a little slow as always, before things picked up.

I find myself doing the same and missed some of the dialogue trying to figure out which is which.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Thanks. I followed it better the 2nd watch. And they even showed Daemon procuring a body to burn, and that was the knight with Laenor in the boat at the end. Anywho, definitely the best episode so far, Shit is getting spicey.

I fell asleep last night during the episode and in my foggy awakening, saw Laenor in the boat, and immediately asked my wife why the fuck Vin Diesel was in a Game of Thrones prequel. 

51 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

HBO says it's art. So quit being poors and get better TV. 

In the article a viewer submitted a complaint and a person/bot actually replied to defend the darkness  

CF299C69-8CF9-4F4E-8C78-B8AC3431C6F1.jpeg

Not just a better TV, but a faster internet connection helps a lot too.  That's the problem with streaming.  Nobody is going to be able to view any show or movie at its best quality while streaming.  I just downloaded a 4k HDR version of the episode and it is very viewable on my LG C2.

• Hook 'Em 1

This has been the longest prologue ever. I guess we’ll find out if it’s been worth it once the show starts in earnest, but I doubt it.

If GoT had been set up like this, we would have had a first season just rushing through Robert/Lyanna/Rhaegar, the Ned/Cat and Jon/Lysa courtships, Littlefinger’s history with Cat/Lysa, Robert’s Rebellion, Jaime’s king slaying, the Robert/Cersei wedding, Ned taking in Jon Snow, and Jon Arryn’s poisoning.

Instead we started out in media res, spent some real time with people and let the story breathe, and just learned these things as needed as we went.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

This has been the longest prologue ever. I guess we’ll find out if it’s been worth it once the show starts in earnest, but I doubt it.

If GoT had been set up like this, we would have had a first season just rushing through Robert/Lyanna/Rhaegar, the Ned/Cat and Jon/Lysa courtships, Littlefinger’s history with Cat/Lysa, Robert’s Rebellion, Jaime’s king slaying, the Robert/Cersei wedding, Ned taking in Jon Snow, and Jon Arryn’s poisoning.

Instead we started out in media res, spent some real time with people and let the story breathe, and just learned these things as needed as we went.

The best stories start in the middle 

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

This is such a silly comparison, GOT was not about Robert's rebellion. You're essentially asking for Ned to be killed in episode 1.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, seven said:

There are white haired white kids who are alicent's, brown haired white kids who are rhey's, and white haired mixed race kids who are daemon's. I have to be honest, if that's confusing for someone then maybe they should go back to watching network television. 

No shit, if you're paying even the slightest amount of attention it's completely obvious who belongs to who.

14 hours ago, speed817 said:

Not just a better TV, but a faster internet connection helps a lot too.  That's the problem with streaming.  Nobody is going to be able to view any show or movie at its best quality while streaming.  I just downloaded a 4k HDR version of the episode and it is very viewable on my LG C2.

This is why you should just steal your media like I do. Fuck 'em.

It's entertainment and I find it amusing. Random thought: if you were given a ticket to sit in a Dallas stadium on a beautiful Saturday in October and all you knew was that there were players dressed in burnt orange and white uniforms facing off against players in crimson and cream uniforms and knew nothing of them--not who was a five star recruit, who was the star running back or QB. Ignorant of who had a gimpy shoulder or how stout was the D-line. Didn't know the over/under or the win/loss records, or any of the past grievances or horns down or the great Sooner Schooner collapse. No coaching records, none of it. You might enjoy the game--it is often a packed emotional crowd in attendance, but knowing some of the lead-up, the history of the institutions involved, the great Thujone illustrations, really adds to the experience when one is watching. I suppose one could discover all of this as you go, the way a random student with no family connections to either institution would do. But a little 'table setting' ahead of time and ahead of the action helps those who may not have the background that other 'fans' have.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's entertainment and I find it amusing. Random thought: if you were given a ticket to sit in a Dallas stadium on a beautiful Saturday in October and all you knew was that there were players dressed in burnt orange and white uniforms facing off against players in crimson and cream uniforms and knew nothing of them--not who was a five star recruit, who was the star running back or QB. Ignorant of who had a gimpy shoulder or how stout was the D-line. Didn't know the over/under or the win/loss records, or any of the past grievances or horns down or the great Sooner Schooner collapse. No coaching records, none of it. You might enjoy the game--it is often a packed emotional crowd in attendance, but knowing some of the lead-up, the history of the institutions involved, the great Thujone illustrations, really adds to the experience when one is watching. I suppose one could discover all of this as you go, the way a random student with no family connections to either institution would do. But a little 'table setting' ahead of time and ahead of the action helps those who may not have the background that other 'fans' have.

So you think season one of GoT suffered from a lack of sufficient table setting?

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I get what you're saying, but the only thing you really need to know about TX/OU is that OU sucks. And that is a universal law. Like gravity. Or my wife buying ridiculous shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

All caught up.  I'm in for the long haul.  Although I think this is good only because I'm comparing it to how awful GoT ended.  The episode where they jumped ahead 10 years was jarring.  Some characters aged, some didn't.  I get it, it's not easy but with HBO's budget, wtf?  Also the look AND acting of Rhaenyra was so damn different - but I'll give you 10 years AND having a shitload of kids can change anyone.  

And I don't pay that close attention to shit but how the hell can't some of you keep up with the kids and who belongs to who?  Is your stream that shitty?  I hate to call that out again but shit, that's pretty bad.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And I don't pay that close attention to shit but how the hell can't some of you keep up with the kids and who belongs to who?  Is your stream that shitty?  I hate to call that out again but shit, that's pretty bad.  

That particular poster has a history of posting really stupid shit on show threads. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3