House of the Dragon

crash_davis

Larys is really the only character that gets you suddenly interested in what's about to happen when he appears in a scene.  That guy exists for no other reason than to start/stir up shit.  I love it.

Like many, I assume, as the scene developed to the point it became clear she was flashing her feet for info/help from Larys, I thought "wtf?"  Then, when she turned to the side, I thought, "Wait... no way."  As Larys reached into his pants, "Are you fucking kidding me?!?!"

So basically, over the years, a deal was negotiated where she gets help from him and he gets to play Louis CK.  I'd be willing to wager that shit came straight from GRRM and not the writers/showrunner.

Quite a gamble they took on audience reaction, having Rhaenys end up with the opportunity to roast the usurpers and deciding not to.  Not surprisingly, there's a ton of folks pissed about it, finding it ridiculous.  But... roasting Viserys' children in cold blood, getting labeled "kinslayer"--the absolute worse, most despicable sobriquet you can earn--and given the fact that Alicent was the only one totally opposed to murdering Rhaenyra and her kids, it's more reasonable for her to decline and to just fly off.

I actually liked Aemond a little more in this episode.  Last week, I respected his toughness and recognized him as a badass, but hated him.  He did his duty in this episode, however distasteful, and rightly observed that he's far more worthy, in every respect, than his brother.

Aegon was ready to flee Westeros, had no desire whatsoever to be King, wanted nothing to do with it, etc...  right up until he felt the adulation of the literally captive audience.  "Hmmm... maybe this ain't so bad."  

I've like Otto, for the most part, throughout the season, but I'm now officially at "hoping he dies a brutal death, the cunt."

I really, really hope Daemon goes scorched earth on a lot of these fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Criston Cole kills a squire/servant/lover/whatever of Laenor.  Gets away with it because Alicent steps in to protect him.

Criston Cole smashes in the head of a small council member.  Like, an actual Lord.  This is the kind of situation where, even if everyone is okay with what he did--because they were gonna have to kill Beesbury anyway--it's still a bridge too far in terms of what would be tolerated.  Didn't care for that.  

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Larys is really the only character that gets you suddenly interested in what's about to happen when he appears in a scene.  That guy exists for no other reason than to start/stir up shit.  I love it.

Like many, I assume, as the scene developed to the point it became clear she was flashing her feet for info/help from Larys, I thought "wtf?"  Then, when she turned to the side, I thought, "Wait... no way."  As Larys reached into his pants, "Are you fucking kidding me?!?!"

So basically, over the years, a deal was negotiated where she gets help from him and he gets to play Louis CK.  I'd be willing to wager that shit came straight from GRRM and not the writers/showrunner.

Quite a gamble they took on audience reaction, having Rhaenys end up with the opportunity to roast the usurpers and deciding not to.  Not surprisingly, there's a ton of folks pissed about it, finding it ridiculous.  But... roasting Viserys' children in cold blood, getting labeled "kinslayer"--the absolute worse, most despicable sobriquet you can earn--and given the fact that Alicent was the only one totally opposed to murdering Rhaenyra and her kids, it's more reasonable for her to decline and to just fly off.

I actually liked Aemond a little more in this episode.  Last week, I respected his toughness and recognized him as a badass, but hated him.  He did his duty in this episode, however distasteful, and rightly observed that he's far more worthy, in every respect, than his brother.

Aegon was ready to flee Westeros, had no desire whatsoever to be King, wanted nothing to do with it, etc...  right up until he felt the adulation of the literally captive audience.  "Hmmm... maybe this ain't so bad."  

I've like Otto, for the most part, throughout the season, but I'm now officially at "hoping he dies a brutal death, the cunt."

I really, really hope Daemon goes scorched earth on a lot of these fuckers.

It's amazing that the Aegon actor is older than the Aemond actor.  Aemond is basically Damon all over again and Aegon is a dimmer version of Viserys.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Criston Cole kills a squire/servant/lover/whatever of Laenor.  Gets away with it because Alicent steps in to protect him.

Criston Cole smashes in the head of a small council member.  Like, an actual Lord.  This is the kind of situation where, even if everyone is okay with what he did--because they were gonna have to kill Beesbury anyway--it's still a bridge too far in terms of what would be tolerated.  Didn't care for that.  

Biggest disappointment yet.  Had him pegged as a "good guy."

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It's amazing that the Aegon actor is older than the Aemond actor.  Aemond is basically Damon all over again and Aegon is a dimmer version of Viserys.  

Aemond is a LOT like Daemon but I wouldn't say Aegon is anything like Viserys. Aegon is a completely depraved, narcissistic psycho. Viserys was a bad king, but only because he was too kind hearted to see the evil in anyone around him and too weak to assert his authority in most situations.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Augustus said:

This was the discussion on the previous page and it seems to reveal the pragmatic leanings of Rhaenys when she is assessing the monarchy and her dealings with it. For all I don't care for Alicent the character in some ways, I do like the idea (perhaps it is a figment of my mind) that in the early years, were it not for her father's ambitions and talks with her, she would not have minded handing over the reigns to Rhaenyra if it were guaranteed that Alicent's children would be safe from execution. Alicent seems to have found her justification for her choices based on that (safety), and she went down that path and there is no going back. Her misinterpretation of Viserys' dream (and I can't really blame her for that as she didn't know of Rhaenyra's visit correct?), her embracing the quasi-religion to provide back up for Aegon's rule; they provide some of the threads to this history that GRRM has woven.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Yeah, when Aegon was walking through the swords and then got that little smile/smirk on his face later, I turned to my spouse and said, this is going to be bad news.

47 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Plus his motivation is still nowhere near in proportion to his actions.  Seems flat and disconnected.  Hope he gets hacked to pieces

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Plus his motivation is still nowhere near in proportion to his actions.  Seems flat and disconnected.  Hope he gets hacked to pieces

Rhaenyra turned down his proposal and he didn't handle it well;  it's not like I haven't seen guys that leave lots of signals that while 'charming' on the surface also have outsized anger issues.

After thing about it some more, and this ties in somewhat with some of the complaints about character development--we do know some of his story as it has been revealed. One of his flaws does seem to be that the Ser Criston's zealousness outpaces its situational appropriateness. He wants to follow this chivalric code and these 'rules' and will then use violence to enforce those he believes have violated them. But in many of his scenes there is unexpected violence or reaction as you state and the only motivation that we have is that he is low-born and worked his way up the ladder IIRC. For him, that may be all the motivation he needs. I work and work and am supposed to be grateful that I am honest, trustworthy, and brave and these Targaryens like Rhaenyra and Viserys throw it all in my face and expect me to be grateful. He is the violent side of Alicent's submissive nature and they align well with each other.

I'm making all that up, but I suspect he is going to show out a little more in upcoming episodes due to his battle experience.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
adding some comments

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I found it interesting when he revealed his ambition to be king to Ser Criston.  Daemon saw Viserys's weaknesses but still only ever tried to help his brother, not to replace him.  And Aemond wouldn't only need Aegon out of the picture, he would also have to leapfrog Aegon's kids somehow.

I’m amused by the people who have sat through 9+ hours of this and then show up to complain after hour 10 that it’s all so boring. There’s a whole movie and tv series for you, it’s called How To Train Your Dragon. You’ll love it.

This was tense as hell for me right up until Rhaenys rang that fucking bell. So much awfulnes set in motion on a lie because Alicent was too selfish to realize the king might not have been talking to her. But at one point she said wtte “It doesn’t matter if you believe me or not, we’re crowning my son tomorrow” and it made me think of how often that happens with powerful elites. Those with the gold make the rules, and wars begin on false pretenses.

I’d love to see Aemond say fuck it and go team up with Daemon. It’s not going to happen but those two could cause some problems together.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

That's a good observation. 

Initially, it seemed like his real problem was that he'd sacrificed his honor on the altar of true love, and then became utterly disillusioned when Rhaenyra wouldn't abandon the crown for him, and then insulted by both Rhaenyra and then Ser Joffrey when told she could have him on the side.

But that implies a depth of character he doesn't seem to be displaying.

I agree with closetohumping.  He's got issues--mainly insecurity/ego/fear-based anger issues.  

On another note, Aemond One Eye appears to have the Habsburg Chin.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m amused by the people who have sat through 9+ hours of this and then show up to complain after hour 10 that it’s all so boring. There’s a whole movie and tv series for you, it’s called How To Train Your Dragon. You’ll love it.

This was tense as hell for me right up until Rhaenys rang that fucking bell. So much awfulnes set in motion on a lie because Alicent was too selfish to realize the king might not have been talking to her. But at one point she said wtte “It doesn’t matter if you believe me or not, we’re crowning my son tomorrow” and it made me think of how often that happens with powerful elites. Those with the gold make the rules, and wars begin on false pretenses.

I’d love to see Aemond say fuck it and go team up with Daemon. It’s not going to happen but those two could cause some problems together.

Right.  I don't need everyone to like the show for me to enjoy it.  They're welcome to their opinion of course but at some point it may be better to do something else with your time.

29 minutes ago, Augustus said:

That's a good observation. 

Initially, it seemed like his real problem was that he'd sacrificed his honor on the altar of true love, and then became utterly disillusioned when Rhaenyra wouldn't abandon the crown for him, and then insulted by both Rhaenyra and then Ser Joffrey when told she could have him on the side.

But that implies a depth of character he doesn't seem to be displaying.

I agree with closetohumping.  He's got issues--mainly insecurity/ego/fear-based anger issues.  

On another note, Aemond One Eye appears to have the Habsburg Chin.

Aemond is definitely a different looking dude, especially compared to his brother and sister/wife. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I've been arguing on other boards with people who very clearly are just not paying attention to anything that's happening in the show, and then blaming the show because they don't know any of the kid's names, that both sides have dragons, or whatever other stupid shit they come up with in their heads. I currently have one guy arguing with me about how Rhaenys left on her dragon.

Him: "She should have either BBQ'd the lot of them, or just flown off without crashing the coronation"

Me: "How do you think a woman BBQ'ing the remainder of her just-deceased brother's family in front of hundreds of commoners would go down?"

Also me: "The scene literally took place IN THE DRAGONPIT. HOW ELSE WAS SHE SUPPOSED TO GET HER DRAGON OUT DUMBASS???"

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

It’s valid tho. they really could’ve gotten rid of the king 2-3 episodes ago. They really fucked that chicken until the end of episode 8. His timeline is really what dragged shit. If you were entertained by 7 episodes of whos going to be the next heir, I have paddle ball toy to give to you because you’re easily entertained

I mean some of us want to like the show. We also want some damn action. The guy jacking off to a foot was the second most eventful thing after a dragon crashed a coronation event.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I've been arguing on other boards with people who very clearly are just not paying attention to anything that's happening in the show, and then blaming the show because they don't know any of the kid's names, that both sides have dragons, or whatever other stupid shit they come up with in their heads. I currently have one guy arguing with me about how Rhaenys left on her dragon.

Him: "She should have either BBQ'd the lot of them, or just flown off without crashing the coronation"

Me: "How do you think a woman BBQ'ing the remainder of her just-deceased brother's family in front of hundreds of commoners would go down?"

Also me: "The scene literally took place IN THE DRAGONPIT. HOW ELSE WAS SHE SUPPOSED TO GET HER DRAGON OUT DUMBASS???"

Was it the dragon pit? I just assumed it would have been at the Sept, but I don't know if there even was a Sept at this point in the history of the show. 

21 minutes ago, hornian said:

Was it the dragon pit? I just assumed it would have been at the Sept, but I don't know if there even was a Sept at this point in the history of the show. 

The Game of Thrones history and lore videos that were released throughout the run of that show included a discussion of the Sept of Baelor.  You can check that out if you're interested.

The setp wouldn't have been nearly large enough for an event like that.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If you were entertained by 7 episodes of whos going to be the next heir, I have paddle ball toy to give to you because you’re easily entertained

Don't insult the people who are enjoying the show just because you're not, but for some odd reason are still watching it anyway.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, hornian said:

It was the dragonpit. The reason she burst out of the floor is the exit was sealed up and the crowd was standing on top of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Only issue I have with the show is their inability to use more than 3 or 4 names leading to that idiot Alicent thinking the most honorable King would go back on his word to help her and her backhanded father get their family on the throne.  

I'm enjoying it overall. Amazing what source material can do for a show 

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

2 hours ago, WBT said:

*cousin

It's like you're not even watching the show!

• Haha 2

I'm too dumb to understand so someone help me with this. 

Here is what I think is clear:

1) The King dies and it's revealed Aegon is missing

2) Two different parties with two different agendas (The Hand / Alicent) send two different search parties (Twin Lords / Aemond & Cristin) to find him

I think I get that part.

What I don't get is what the agendas were.

1) Was The Hand trying to have Aegon killed so Aemond could be King because he knows Aegon sucks? But Cristin wins the battle and Aemond and Cristin do their duty to bring back Aegon to be King, which is what Alicent wanted, even though she knows her son is the worst but has the maternal unconditional love?

2) Was the show trying to head fake us that Aemond was going to kill his brother and take the throne because he is clearly the better King (and even Aegon seemed to think that was going to happen), but then he didn't?

Moving on from that confusion, the lame-foot guy having a healthy foot-fetish is too on the nose for me. It felt way too sophomoric and try-hard and took me out of the story for a bit.

Lastly, what is White Worms accent supposed to be? It's weird, for sure, though I think the idea of a sex-worker-cum-power-player (pun unintended) is the missing piece of the one-in-a-million low-born, meritocratic come-upper who is a player in the game despite not having a lineage or family (a la Littlefinger, Pentos wealth, Ser Cristin, etc.)

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, seven said:

Both parties wanted aegon because whoever had him could control the plot going forward. Beyond that, it's tough to do a coup without the person you're claiming is the new king. 

No one was looking to murder him. 

Okay, thanks for that. Further clarity needed:

What would The Hand finding Aegon have meant that Alicent finding him didn't? They are more-or-less directionally aligned (disagreeing on the murder of home girl, obviously notwithstanding).

I guess I don't understand what the stakes were and what the hypothetical outcome would have been had Otto found Aegon versus Alicent. What if Aegon was in his chambers when the King died, would they have had a foot race to his room? My point being, Otto getting a hold of Aegon doesn't seem meaningful if both Alicent and Otto ) Didn't want Aegon to die, 2) wanted Aegon to be king and 3) wanted him crowned ASAP.

In that regard the race to find him with the two competing search parties, and then later the confrontation with Otto saying "you won the clever game" or something or another, didn't make sense. Probably because I'm too dumb to understand Middle Age politics.

Edited by MeerkatBong

3 minutes ago, seven said:

Yes, murdering rhey was the key disagreement. The very first thing alicent says to aegon is don't listen to Otto about killing her. I'm not sure why you are thinking that was just a bump in the road, it's a fundamental difference in strategy. 

I mean, they have to co-exist, even while having a fundamental disagreement. Unless Otto is willing to kill his daughter I guess, which he might be who knows.

Otto getting to Aegon first and having the first 20 minute lecture with him imparting on him he needs to undertake a precise and extensive and sensitive campaign to kill a challenger (for a kid who the show has made great pains to show is anything but capable of executing that strategy let alone synthesizing that message), not to mention that his mother will have ample opportunity to impart on him her wishes for him and what she wants him to do, makes the whole thing mega stupid if that really is all that whole scene was about.

• Hook 'Em 1