House of the Dragon

crash_davis

and FTR i'm still watching because it's still the world of GoT and because it isn't beyond getting better- but it's also not beyond reproach. this is a GoT prequel, and as such it is inherently going to be compared to GoT. S1 of GoT was wildly captivating, with countless stories and characters that i couldn't wait to see grow and unfold. this show is not that, not by a long shot, and to attack and insult the people who are disappointed by the gulf in class between the two shows is petty and stupid. 

"well why don't you stop watching?" well why don't you stop being so hypersensitive towards posts that are critical of the show? doesn't that seem more reasonable than demanding we banish everyone who doesn't watch this show like larys watches alicent's feet? for some of y'all to in one breath claim intellectual superiority and then in the next breath throw a fit because someone else criticized your TV show is, again, petty and stupid.

like it if you like it, don't like it if you don't like, but stop being such a fucking baby every time someone else has a view that differs from yours. buncha derkas up in here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

Okay, thanks for that. Further clarity needed:

What would The Hand finding Aegon have meant that Alicent finding him didn't? They are more-or-less directionally aligned (disagreeing on the murder of home girl, obviously notwithstanding).

I guess I don't understand what the stakes were and what the hypothetical outcome would have been had Otto found Aegon versus Alicent. What if Aegon was in his chambers when the King died, would they have had a foot race to his room? My point being, Otto getting a hold of Aegon doesn't seem meaningful if both Alicent and Otto ) Didn't want Aegon to die, 2) wanted Aegon to be king and 3) wanted him crowned ASAP.

In that regard the race to find him with the two competing search parties, and then later the confrontation with Otto saying "you won the clever game" or something or another, didn't make sense. Probably because I'm too dumb to understand Middle Age politics.

Otto seems set on a violent takeover.   I don’t believe alicent is.  The room comment doesn’t make sense as neither intentions would be revealed at that meeting.  That was fleshed out during the council meeting.  It’s all about controlling a young king.  

if you’re being intentionally obtuse then well ok I guess?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and FTR i'm still watching because it's still the world of GoT and because it isn't beyond getting better- but it's also not beyond reproach. this is a GoT prequel, and as such it is inherently going to be compared to GoT. S1 of GoT was wildly captivating, with countless stories and characters that i couldn't wait to see grow and unfold. this show is not that, not by a long shot, and to attack and insult the people who are disappointed by the gulf in class between the two shows is petty and stupid. 

"well why don't you stop watching?" well why don't you stop being so hypersensitive towards posts that are critical of the show? doesn't that seem more reasonable than demanding we banish everyone who doesn't watch this show like larys watches alicent's feet? for some of y'all to in one breath claim intellectual superiority and then in the next breath throw a fit because someone else criticized your TV show is, again, petty and stupid.

like it if you like it, don't like it if you don't like, but stop being such a fucking baby every time someone else has a view that differs from yours. buncha derkas up in here.

The ole 2am drunk post?  Nobody is asking anyone to leave.  Take it easy.  Some of us like the show. Some of us don’t.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

LOL at the number of posts/reps given in this thread which essentially state, "i like this show therefore i am intelligent, and you don't like this show therefore you are stupid, and/or clearly not paying attention." to like this show is to be intelligent, and to think it could be better is to be stupid.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886rqt55ocw1gzxcc8rfv

I don’t see anyone negging the negative reviews though I only went back a few pages. Or are you triggered by the positive reps given?  Confused.  I wouldn’t sweat reps at all. Don’t let that get to you.  

Edited by closetohumping

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

LOL at the number of posts/reps given in this thread which essentially state, "i like this show therefore i am intelligent, and you don't like this show therefore you are stupid, and/or clearly not paying attention." to like this show is to be intelligent, and to think it could be better is to be stupid.

Thanks for your 2:30am cocaine fueled contribution to the thread.

• Haha 2

Archetype to archetype the HOTD are like Hill Country Fare versions of GOT

Littlefinger and varys are less pathetic than this dude that wanks off to feet. 

Bronn is much more interesting assassin-gofer than the emo cuckold Criston…

Tywin shits all over Otto. 

The other Targaryeon female protagonist was hotter. 

Joffrey played a better petulant royal kid.  etc. 

Rhaenys…not as clever as the Queen of Thorns, but shes my least worst character so far.  Hopefully she gets to do more dragon-flexing in the upcoming episodes  

• Hook 'Em 4

a)i got out of bed at 9:30 pm last night and had been awake for five hours at 2:30 am, b)you two are doing a great job displaying the hypersensitive nature i describe in my post, and c)i'm not the one serially replying to/about me at 7am like a coke head, so...

Edited by shadow_operative

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t really understand the motivation not to torch Aegon and the whole lot, unless she’s willing to back him over Rhanera and Daemon (despite their children all being betrothed to each other). 

One mother that lost a child, looking down on another

35 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Begun, the rep wars have 

Finally.  Something happened.  Only took, what, 9 episodes?  

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t really understand the motivation not to torch Aegon and the whole lot, unless she’s willing to back him over Rhanera and Daemon (despite their children all being betrothed to each other). 

i think its consistent with her behavior which is that while she has some entitlement to the throne, unlike the others, shes not willing cut throat to claim it.

everything is such an amateur hour fuckup now that she feels she needs to assert her place... just stepping in to say "children, calm the fuck down".  but things havent quite reached the point where she needs to wrestle power away from them all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I cannot speak for the author's intent, but how to maneuver the plot once the opposition has been incinerated would be difficult? You've killed the only other residents who have dragons and are capable of controlling them. I believe @Augustus mentioned something earlier about kinslayer being the worst epithet one could be called so Rhaenys would be raised in that culture and looking to avoid that (up to a point). Also, in the behind the scenes director's cut (YouTube), I recall they mentioned that both women being mothers and Rhaenys having lost both of her children perhaps would incline her to be sympathetic (again, to a degree).

Also, Myseria (sp?) pointed out to Otto Hightower that it is the People who permit those in power to stay. Once more, that is true up to a point (dragons are going to have a lot to do with how much permission needs to be granted, amiright?) but that is something that coming into a coronation where Rhaenys has heard Otto declare that Aegon was to be king per Viserys' dying wishes (never mind that Otto was planning this all along) and knowing that tradition and culture prefers a male heir would likely make one pause before going firestarter on the monarchy standing before the People. They might resent Rhaenyra appearing and saying, well now that the BBQ is over, let us sit down and get to work on improving your lives. Even if that were in their best interest, not going to happen. So, war (plot driver, engaging, and what politicians do in the fight for control of the purse and power) it is then. 

My two cents.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Otto seems set on a violent takeover.   I don’t believe alicent is.  The room comment doesn’t make sense as neither intentions would be revealed at that meeting.  That was fleshed out during the council meeting.  It’s all about controlling a young king.  

if you’re being intentionally obtuse then well ok I guess?

Not being intentionally obtuse, just still don't understand what was at stake and what each character wanted in the "Hunt for Aegon".

1 minute ago, MeerkatBong said:

Not being intentionally obtuse, just still don't understand what was at stake and what each character wanted in the "Hunt for Aegon".

I think the struggle was that if Otto had him, Otto had authority to order Rhanera and Daemon killed, but Alicent didn’t want to do that. I don’t know what the white worm had to do with anything 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

a)i got out of bed at 9:30 pm last night and had been awake for five hours at 2:30 am, b)you two are doing a great job displaying the hypersensitive nature i describe in my post, and c)i'm not the one serially replying to/about me at 7am like a coke head, so...

Elaine Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think the struggle was that if Otto had him, Otto had authority to order Rhanera and Daemon killed, but Alicent didn’t want to do that. I don’t know what the white worm had to do with anything 

How would Otto would have had that authority? By proxy of telling Aegon to decree it? For two people who are at odds, but are clearly interested in a somewhat loving co-existence as father/daughter and hand/queen(-mother) and who will live in a shared space and see each other in the hallways and dining rooms, it doesn't seem like Otto and Alicent's scheming and being the first to get to Aegon was that urgent and final.

Anyways, if that was the plot design and intent, it's a big miss and a no for me, dawg.

That said, the Miserya thing was pretty straight-forward in that she recognized the Prince, knew he would be in demand as her informers let her know the king was dead, so she kidnapped him for leverage so she could make her silly demands in her silly accent.

Edited by MeerkatBong

1 minute ago, MeerkatBong said:

Having not read the book(s) I don't know Martin's thinking but my own opinion is that he gives each of his major characters opportunities for redemption or condemnation. In Alicent's case, she and Rhaenyra for all the kerfluffle over the last decade and a half do have a history of friendship. At the council meeting it seemed Otto wanted all along to essentially murder Rhaenyra and install Aegon as rightful male heir. Back when Viserys named Rhaenyra the heir apparent, Otto told his daughter Alicent that her childrens' lives were in danger. But, that is Otto saying this. Rhaenyra gave no indication that she would make that so.

Both Otto and Alicent are smart enough to know that Aegon is reluctant, truculent, immature, etc and if Otto gets to Aegon first my inclination was that Otto would install him with an attempt to control him and slaughter Rhaenyra and her family. Otto was already going through his list of killing the opposition one by one, aided and abetted by Larys who is playing both sides. Alicent, however, wanted Aegon to be king w/o the war, the killing, and so on. As she has not been successful at getting Aegon to heed her advice before, I doubt this will go well regardless.

Long story short--Otto and Alicent in their hubris think that they can sway/control Aegon to their desires for power (Otto) and safety (Alicent) and that is my take on the race to locate him.

• Hook 'Em 3

the actress that plays white worm was raised in the UK and speaks with a british accent.

i get that there are foreigners in the GRRM that was meant to be vague analogues of orientals, hence an asian actress... but do they really need to press the pedal on that affectation of her accent? 

17 hours ago, Augustus said:

The Game of Thrones history and lore videos that were released throughout the run of that show included a discussion of the Sept of Baelor.  You can check that out if you're interested.

The setp wouldn't have been nearly large enough for an event like that.

AND it doesn't have dragons in its basement. It's not the Alamo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That would not have been a diplomatic move at all. Rhaenys sees a longer play and isn't a hot head like say, Joffrey Lannister.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

dude shut the fuck up already 

just talk about the show 

or don't

whatever

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

so she kidnapped him for leverage so she could make her silly demands in her silly accent.

But all she got in exchange was “I’ll think about it” or something vague, right?  Maybe the ransom was a lot of money or the bigger point was to show how she was a crime boss

36 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Having not read the book(s) I don't know Martin's thinking but my own opinion is that he gives each of his major characters opportunities for redemption or condemnation. In Alicent's case, she and Rhaenyra for all the kerfluffle over the last decade and a half do have a history of friendship. At the council meeting it seemed Otto wanted all along to essentially murder Rhaenyra and install Aegon as rightful male heir. Back when Viserys named Rhaenyra the heir apparent, Otto told his daughter Alicent that her childrens' lives were in danger. But, that is Otto saying this. Rhaenyra gave no indication that she would make that so.

Both Otto and Alicent are smart enough to know that Aegon is reluctant, truculent, immature, etc and if Otto gets to Aegon first my inclination was that Otto would install him with an attempt to control him and slaughter Rhaenyra and her family. Otto was already going through his list of killing the opposition one by one, aided and abetted by Larys who is playing both sides. Alicent, however, wanted Aegon to be king w/o the war, the killing, and so on. As she has not been successful at getting Aegon to heed her advice before, I doubt this will go well regardless.

Long story short--Otto and Alicent in their hubris think that they can sway/control Aegon to their desires for power (Otto) and safety (Alicent) and that is my take on the race to locate him.

Gotcha. And the whole Aemond vs Aegon thing was just further character development and informing the resentment and stewing that will occur to drive Aemond's story forward (along with the foreshadowing of his cutting gaze during the coronation)? Thanks for the explanation and that all follows, I just still think it's stupid and not good writing or TV. Otherwise no issues with the episode.

Wait, one more issue. I got what the show was trying to do with the reveal that the council was scheming the whole time and there was a council within a council planning for when Operation London Bridge happens, but it was a miss for me. It just didn't "pop" enough, if that makes sense. The table was set for it to do so and you say a faint resemblance of what could have been and had it been executed better, I think it would have really brought some energy to the episode that would have crescendo'd into the dragon crashing the party, rather than it be a low-energy episode hovering at a 2 or 3 and then spiking to a 10 in the last minutes.

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

But all she got in exchange was “I’ll think about it” or something vague, right?  Maybe the ransom was a lot of money or the bigger point was to show how she was a crime boss

I think the point was to show "hey remember Daemon's whore who has decided to claw her way up the ladder from her station?" along with uncovering the spider whisper network that exists in the Red Keep and moving the Larys plot forward where he will play both sides as a cunning player. It was all pretty clunky and I'm not talking about her accent.

Edited by MeerkatBong

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

she has all his little fleabottom bastards as well.  not sure if that was in the calculus, but she really had nothing else to leverage.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I cannot speak for the author's intent, but how to maneuver the plot once the opposition has been incinerated would be difficult? You've killed the only other residents who have dragons and are capable of controlling them. I believe @Augustus mentioned something earlier about kinslayer being the worst epithet one could be called so Rhaenys would be raised in that culture and looking to avoid that (up to a point). Also, in the behind the scenes director's cut (YouTube), I recall they mentioned that both women being mothers and Rhaenys having lost both of her children perhaps would incline her to be sympathetic (again, to a degree).

Also, Myseria (sp?) pointed out to Otto Hightower that it is the People who permit those in power to stay. Once more, that is true up to a point (dragons are going to have a lot to do with how much permission needs to be granted, amiright?) but that is something that coming into a coronation where Rhaenys has heard Otto declare that Aegon was to be king per Viserys' dying wishes (never mind that Otto was planning this all along) and knowing that tradition and culture prefers a male heir would likely make one pause before going firestarter on the monarchy standing before the People. They might resent Rhaenyra appearing and saying, well now that the BBQ is over, let us sit down and get to work on improving your lives. Even if that were in their best interest, not going to happen. So, war (plot driver, engaging, and what politicians do in the fight for control of the purse and power) it is then. 

My two cents.

Yes Rhaenys strikes me as somewhat diplomatic and even keeled.  Killing 7 other Targaryens would probably piss everyone off.

You have to consider what would have happened--immediately--if Otto had wound up with Aegon instead of his mother.

They figured whoever got to him first and took possession of him was going to have the best chance to control whatever immediate orders went out regarding Rhaenyra/Daemon and their heirs.

If Otto gets hold of Aegon, then it doesn't take long at all for Aegon to issue orders and dispatch assassins/soldiers/even Aemond to Dragonstone who can gain entry rather easily--as no one one Dragonstone has any idea Viserys has died and that the throne has been usurped--and there's no calling them back once they're on their way.

Alicent felt like if she got hold of Aegon first she could prevent any action being taken in the very immediate future that would put Rhaenyra's side at risk, and then she'd have a chance to win the debate with Otto and prevent them from igniting the civil war before they could at least offer an olive branch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

One other consideration regarding Rhaenys' decision not fry everyone.

From our perspective, we know the civil war is inevitable, else there wouldn't be a show.  But from her perspective, that's not a guaranteed outcome yet.  The odds might be low, but not nonexistent, that each side could take stock of what the cost would be in Targaryen lives and dragons, allow cooler heads to prevail and avoid a civil war that engulfs the entire realm.  Her most recent interaction with Alicent likely convinced her that the Queen Mother is not a raging psychopath hell bent on killing Rhaenyra and her heirs.

When you combine that hope, however slim, with the fact that slaying her kin would brand her for life, it's not unreasonable that a cautious, thoughtful pragmatist like herself would be reluctant to burn Viserys' kids to death.

She also might've hoped that her display would drive home to Otto and the others what they were up against.  Yeah, you've got possession of King's Landing and you've compelled the obeisance of some captive lords and gotten a round of cheers from the peasantry, but I'm sitting on a hydrogen bomb right in front of your face, and we've got a lot more of them.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Wait, one more issue. I got what the show was trying to do with the reveal that the council was scheming the whole time and there was a council within a council planning for when Operation London Bridge happens, but it was a miss for me. It just didn't "pop" enough, if that makes sense. The table was set for it to do so and you say a faint resemblance of what could have been and had it been executed better, I think it would have really brought some energy to the episode that would have crescendo'd into the dragon crashing the party, rather than it be a low-energy episode hovering at a 2 or 3 and then spiking to a 10 in the last minutes.

Yes, this was along the lines I was thinking a page or so back. Cut a little of the Ser Criston/Aemond bonding time-write it a little more succinctly and flesh out the Council machinations. That might frustrate some viewers that want a little more action (although Lord Beesley getting a table facial was jarring) but you've got some character actors in that room and when written well, turn them loose and ratchet up the tension dial. Or, take that scene in the great hall where Otto calls in the Lords for loyalty oaths and rework it--I found it to be a bit ho-hum. No way those present in that room didn't understand what was at stake, but it didn't have the weight and suspense that, for example, last week's scene with the petitions did. And yet, this choice was life threatening to all present. Bend the knee or else.

That being said, a lot was given in that hour--we get a little more info on the thoughts and deeds that are influencing these choices the characters make. Aemond verbalizes his in his outburst to Ser Criston about his place as a frustrated second son and when we look around the room, we see several of those in the parlor (Daemon, Larys, Otto).

I am looking forward to the reaction of the other Targaryens in next week's episode.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I hear you.

My only objection was in response to someone alleging that if you're enjoying this show you'd have as much fun playing with a paddle ball, which is just silly.

And it's not unreasonable to ask--when a poster(s) lambastes every episode for how awful it is, especially to the point of insulting the people who are enjoying it quite a bit--why are you watching something you're clearly not enjoying?

Until such time as people can disagree without taking it personally and getting defensive, then the childishness is inevitable.  Which is to say, it will forever be inevitable.

20 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I hear you.

My only objection was in response to someone alleging that if you're enjoying this show you'd have as much fun playing with a paddle ball, which is just silly.

And it's not unreasonable to ask--when a poster(s) lambastes every episode for how awful it is, especially to the point of insulting the people who are enjoying it quite a bit--why are you watching something you're clearly not enjoying?

Until such time as people can disagree without taking it personally and getting defensive, then the childishness is inevitable.  Which is to say, it will forever be inevitable.

It's a show about fire-breathing dragons and the people who ride them so yeah. I guess it doesn't bother me when people point out specific improvements they would like to see--after all, there are supposedly four seasons planned so thinking about scenes that work (and why) and things that didn't work (for a specific viewer and why) is not something I find distracting. I do not spend too much time worrying about incongruities with respect to for example--the critiques of battle strategy--because having not read the story I don't know what is being displayed as canon vs liberties taken due to the broadcast medium. If those incongruities are an artistic decision by the producers/directors/writers then that is their sword and it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment. Others may feel differently and that is their call and fine by me.

It's not like we are discussing the relative uncertainties of standard atomic weights.

I thought the place where the located Aegon hiding under the candle was the sept.  No reason other than it looked rather septy to me.

Anyone have a dragon count?  Otto and the usurpers thought having the dragon of the Queen who Weren't was enough of an advantage to win.  So I guessing 3 per side, but not sure about that.  Not sure if all of the kids have dragons yet or if the dragons are old enough to be of any consequence (other the one-eye with the largest dragon in the realm).

33 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I thought the place where the located Aegon hiding under the candle was the sept.  No reason other than it looked rather septy to me.

Anyone have a dragon count?  Otto and the usurpers thought having the dragon of the Queen who Weren't was enough of an advantage to win.  So I guessing 3 per side, but not sure about that.  Not sure if all of the kids have dragons yet or if the dragons are old enough to be of any consequence (other the one-eye with the largest dragon in the realm).

I think the dragon underneath flipped the advantage back to Rhaneyra if she joins their side.  Or actually that might make it 4-2.  

12 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

Lastly, what is White Worms accent supposed to be? It's weird, for sure, though I think the idea of a sex-worker-cum-power-player (pun unintended) is the missing piece of the one-in-a-million low-born, meritocratic come-upper who is a player in the game despite not having a lineage or family (a la Littlefinger, Pentos wealth, Ser Cristin, etc.)

She is from Lys which was basically Pleasure Island in old Valyria.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I think the dragon underneath flipped the advantage back to Rhaneyra if she joins their side.  Or actually that might make it 4-2.  

Helaena (sp?) has a dragon I believe since Aemond was supposedly the lone child of Alicent's who did not have one so that would make another one for the Greens. Hard to imagine Helaena getting worked up about flying off to battle though unless it was to "accidentally"  flame her husband off of his steed and that doesn't quite fit her personality.

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

That isn't my perspective, personally, can't speak for others. Like it, dislike it, that's whatever. However, I do get really irritated when people repeatedly talk about the show in a way that makes it obvious they haven't actually put in the smallest amount of effort to pay attention to the story, and then act like the show is to blame for you not being aware of things that were outright said or shown on screen in the show.

If you have the attention span of a goldfish, that's a you problem, homies.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Helaena (sp?) has a dragon I believe since Aemond was supposedly the lone child of Alicent's who did not have one so that would make another one for the Greens. Hard to imagine Helaena getting worked up about flying off to battle though unless it was to "accidentally"  flame her husband off of his steed and that doesn't quite fit her personality.

All of Alicent's children have dragons now. I believe the count is Blacks 7 - Greens 3, though the 3 does include the largest dragon in the world by a long shot.

3 hours ago, seven said:

I love how confused people are that someone wasn't a bloodthirsty psychopath (no judgement and also acknowledging how many peasants she killed) 

I've been having this same argument on the other forum. Nothing about Rhaenys so far in the show would suggest she would be willing to BBQ members of her own family to achieve an end she only tangentially desires by virtue of her oath to Rhaenyra.

That doesn't mean she can't be a mean ass murdering bitch when it comes to the common folks. I would think that kind of compartmentalizing would be second nature to a lord in a medieval society.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I've been having this same argument on the other forum. Nothing about Rhaenys so far in the show would suggest she would be willing to BBQ members of her own family to achieve an end she only tangentially desires by virtue of her oath to Rhaenyra.

That doesn't mean she can't be a mean ass murdering bitch when it comes to the common folks. I would think that kind of compartmentalizing would be second nature to a lord in a medieval society.

Yeah but it’s war and she will not be able to be neutral. If you have a clear shot at winning war, even against family, take your shot. No one wants to be in that position but Otto and Alicent put her there.  They were holding her prisoner and likely to murder her/steal her dragon anyway.  It’s less about desire for power than surviving the changing situation she was thrown into