House of the Dragon

crash_davis

22 hours ago, Hozz said:

It's funny how polarizing this and Rings of Power are.  People seem to really love or hate them both.  Not saying you are gonna hate one if you love the other but if you browse the threads you get a lot of strong opinion on both sides.  Personally I am finding this show to be better than Rings.  Have not even watched that most recent episode and I am not sure when we will vs this which is appointment viewing for us.

I thought the aged up versions of the actors universally outplayed their juniors.  I will say I am surprised Vis is still around considering they showed his shit falling apart in the first episode which was like 20 years ago now.

i dont really hate the show but both the predecessors you mentioned set a high bar.  this is no game of thrones.  its not a shit show, or a shitty show, but its not great either.  characters are boring, dialog is boring, cgi is kinda cheesy.  i'll keep watching because i like the history of the families.  i wish they'd go into valeria, dorn, the vale, etc - other family histories, not just one local (two if you include driftmark).   one of the many things that made game of thrones epic was because it showed us an entire world.  it was grander in scale.

• Hook 'Em 2

So far the show's biggest problem is pacing vs character development. It looks like this is the point in the storyline where they want to "start" but they felt there was no other way to include the backstory other than hash it out over 4-5 episodes. Good writers should've been able to weave that backstory into the show throughout the first season (without hitting us over the head with it like the stupid explanation of the green dress) but it looks like we're dealing with a bunch of hacks again. 

My hope is that now that the time jumps are mostly done we can slow down a little and get that character development that was so well done in GOT. I'm not optimistic though with what we've seen so far. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

So far the show's biggest problem is pacing vs character development. It looks like this is the point in the storyline where they want to "start" but they felt there was no other way to include the backstory other than hash it out over 4-5 episodes. Good writers should've been able to weave that backstory into the show throughout the first season (without hitting us over the head with it like the stupid explanation of the green dress) but it looks like we're dealing with a bunch of hacks again. 
My hope is that now that the time jumps are mostly done we can slow down a little and get that character development that was so well done in GOT. I'm not optimistic though with what we've seen so far. 

100% agree

Definitely because I just finished binging Succession did I draw a parallel to Roman Roy jerking it in the window of his high rise and Aegon in the window. Either Aegon is a deviant pervert weirdo (a la Roman) who will be shown to be cruel/sociopathic whatever down the line, or that is just the Targ blood and it is what it is. His mom didn't seem to be alarmed and acted as if it was quite normal, so I don't know. 

All very valid. I’m actually done watching unless I hear better things. I don’t feel invested at all and I’ve tried.

I was thinking, and I'm not as bearish on this series as this thread sans-the girls, but I thought the costume/make-up and casting people did a wonderful job with the time jump except one: Ser Cristan. I feel like he should have been played by someone else for the 10 year jump. 

I love that his character is a jaded, corrupt one now-- the fall from the common boy with naive hopes of honor yada yada yada who falls from grace, saved by the queen and ostensibly the 10 years that has passed he has become a world-weary, red-keep politick, player in the game. He shows some "cruelty", as Harwin called it, and some manipulation, but he looks like the 21 year old fresh-faced summer child of the first tournament when he bested Daemon. You need an older actor there to flush out that character development with hints of a jowl or some wrinkles or weathering, maybe some flirtations of gray in the hair, something.

The aging/visual of Viserys was fantastic. Reminds me of the aged hippies or deadheads who can't let go of their pony tails even when its a pathetic, wispy reminder of the robust and glorious years. 

7 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

I was thinking, and I'm not as bearish on this series as this thread sans-the girls, but I thought the costume/make-up and casting people did a wonderful job with the time jump except one: Ser Cristan. I feel like he should have been played by someone else for the 10 year jump. 

I love that his character is a jaded, corrupt one now-- the fall from the common boy with naive hopes of honor yada yada yada who falls from grace, saved by the queen and ostensibly the 10 years that has passed he has become a world-weary, red-keep politick, player in the game. He shows some "cruelty", as Harwin called it, and some manipulation, but he looks like the 21 year old fresh-faced summer child of the first tournament when he bested Daemon. You need an older actor there to flush out that character development with hints of a jowl or some wrinkles or weathering, maybe some flirtations of gray in the hair, something.

The aging/visual of Viserys was fantastic. Reminds me of the aged hippies or deadheads who can't let go of their pony tails even when its a pathetic, wispy reminder of the robust and glorious years. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/top-10-commonly-confused-words-vol-2

Question:
To provide more details, should you flush out or flesh out your plan?

Answer:
flesh out

How to remember it:
Think of fleshing out a skeleton. To flesh out something is to give it substance, or to make it fuller or more nearly complete.

To flush out something is to cause it to leave a hiding place, e.g., "The birds were flushed out of the tree." It can also be used figuratively, as in "flush out the truth."

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/top-10-commonly-confused-words-vol-2

Question:
To provide more details, should you flush out or flesh out your plan?

Answer:
flesh out

How to remember it:
Think of fleshing out a skeleton. To flesh out something is to give it substance, or to make it fuller or more nearly complete.

To flush out something is to cause it to leave a hiding place, e.g., "The birds were flushed out of the tree." It can also be used figuratively, as in "flush out the truth."

Thank you for patronizing me. 

15 minutes ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

So was Daemon, RyaenerA, and Laenery all in on his survival/escape? Or did Laenery just defeat their attack and sneak off on his own? 

Rhaenyra and Daemon conspired to give Laenor an out to go live his own life since he couldn't live up the noble life he was born into.

• Hook 'Em 2

Never even came within a million miles of occurring to me that they'd fake Laenor's death but was kinda brilliant.

I was confused as hell as to whom Daemon was strangling to death, and I was wondering wtf Qarl was thinking, given that Laenor is a warrior raised from birth to end people with a sword.

LOL just fantastic.

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I have oled tv so with a dark room I could see it…

Best episode of the season, by a long shot.

Finally some fucking action

I took a long while to set the table and bring in the main course, but holy fuck the chef outdid himself.

I've got mad respect for little Aemond, potential psychopath that he may be.

He's about the size of a grasshopper compared to Vhagar, yet he told that old bitch to shut up and obey.

And his attitude was straight up balls of steel.  Yeah, I lost a fucking EYE but got me the biggest, baddest fire breathing flying lizard in the known world.  Worth it.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Rhaenyra and Daemon conspired to give Laenor an out to go live his own life since he couldn't live up the noble life he was born into.

Thanks. I followed it better the 2nd watch. And they even showed Daemon procuring a body to burn, and that was the knight with Laenor in the boat at the end. Anywho, definitely the best episode so far, Shit is getting spicey.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Couldn’t see shit

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. Looked like shit. Battle of Winterfell bad. Please hire some Apple TV+ people to on the editing. 

Turn off movie mode. It helps on my TV a ton with this show. 

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Never even came within a million miles of occurring to me that they'd fake Laenor's death but was kinda brilliant.

I was confused as hell as to whom Daemon was strangling to death, and I was wondering wtf Qarl was thinking, given that Laenor is a warrior raised from birth to end people with a sword.

LOL just fantastic.

Yep I was slow on the take as well.  I was like no way is qarl gonna kill laenor 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, pops said:

About halfway through I was about to turn it off and come here and post nothing ever fucking happens in this show..... then..... they totally redeemed themselves! 

same. maybe 25 painstakingly slow minutes in, i was right on the verge of turning the show off for good. i'm glad i didn't. we finally got some really interesting action going and some storylines brewing that are full of potential. it took for fucking ever to get here, but i'm finally excited about next week. 

Lmao same.

Be prepared for another time jump. In the previews for next week, Aemond has an eye patch and aged 5-10 yrs

It would be nice if we got a storyboard or had a narrator or even a date instead of having to watch a summary after the show to explain what we just watched. So next week with another jump it will be the old “who’s that?” game

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah the open funeral scene dragged on forever. But once it picked up it was awesome.

I didn't mind the opening scene. Might have been a little clunky in part, but right away it laid out some stuff:

1. Ser Otto is back as The Hand (one might say literally given King Viserys' affliction).

2. Ser Criston may think himself to be the ramrod straight Knight of Good Ethics, but they write his flaws bordering on obviousness.

3. Convo between Aegon & Aemond regarding their sister reveals which son has been paying more attention to their mother's little chats. Further revealed in the melee after the dragon 'borrowing.'

4. Paying attention to what 'crazy' sister says is not a bad idea...

5. Rhaenyra's talk with her eldest before he stands with his cousins. Also, the brother with the awareness that succession to leadership means that his parents have died. That hits right at the heart of it.

6. No one is fooling anyone regarding Laenor & his pal, nor the parentage of Rhaenyra's children and the saltiness at the funeral (literal & figurative) shows there are rifts within House Valeryan as well.

7. Otto sees his grandsons' temperaments a little more clearly than does their mother.

8. Visery's little can't we all get along speech went over like a deflated balloon as everyone is so over him by now that the later scene (after the fight) shows he has lost control of even his dignity. Like in the earlier episodes, he just wants to build his Lego city and drink that good house wine and seems puzzled why won't someone put out some Warfarin for those rats. Good idea, Viserys. Look a little closer at your little city. Now look back at the rats.

But after all that, things got nicely down to it, didn't they?

*We have had success with watching the show in a low light environment for viewing the darkly lit scenes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good episode. Aemond and Alicent are going to be pissed off for life about losing his eye. Classic GOT. The kid fight was pretty gnarly and unsettling. 

I get the feeling Rhae and Daemon are going to regret not whacking Laenor. Never a good idea to exile dragon riders. They always come back. 

They didn't exile him. They freed him. Best to keep that head shaved though. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Couldn’t see shit

Lol we turned off the lights in the house and dimmed the lamp by couch... then I fell asleep during part of the funeral.  So dark and cold..

Funeral scene did go on too long...lot of awkwardness.  Fully expected a Larry David cameo.

Edited by utxmike05
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That brawl was awful to watch.  But savage times back then

That brawl was fiction, but I'm SMH because there are apparently a high % of people who enjoy posting and watching real cellphone videos of random schoolchildren getting into fights with each other all over the internet and have been known to complain when the phone is turned incorrectly. Times haven't changed much at all really.

Edit to add: Not meant as a personal comment towards you, to clarify. One thing that both the creator of this world and the series director for GoT seem to do well, is to make the fantasy and the real worlds relatable in emotion, purpose, and character.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Addition

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That brawl was awful to watch.  But savage times back then

It was kind of a weird twist of character with Aemond being this little shit head.  I thought he was kind of a puss in past episodes especially how Aegon talks about him.  I guess dragon power gives you a new high.  Fuck him for punching a younger girl.  You just jacked their mom's dragon and she has only been in the ocean a few hours.

It looks like they shot the night scenes in the day and darkened them, which was quite common in the old days (e.g., opening scene of Jaws).  I figured they did this in part due to all the bitching about the battle of winterfell being too dark to see.  I could see the night stuff just fine, but found it a little slow as always, before things picked up.

Does anyone else have trouble quickly following which kids belong to whom?  I always have to ask myself which one belongs to which.