House of the Dragon

crash_davis

So her dragon killed a bunch of innocent peasants when it busted into the room, but then she stared down the Hightower clan and let them off the hook.

Put me in the camp that is growing increasingly underwhelmed with this show. I loved the first 6 seasons of GoT and really wanted HOTD give a similar viewer experience, but it’s like a heavily watered down GoT. It’s not the lack of violence or action that bothers me, but rather that the characters are mostly dull and uninspired. Furthermore, the entire plot is about who will be heir to the Iron Throne, and I’m not invested enough in any of the factions to really care. It’s like watching a PAC-12 football game where I can pick someone to root for but the outcome hardly matters.

Next week looks great though so hopefully the season ends on a high note.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

The foot fetish thing was weird.  How would he ever get the queen to agree to that?  "Hey, I killed my dad and brother for you (even though you didn't ask).  How about you show me your tits toes?"

Yeah, I couldn't help but try and think how that arrangement was discussed. Obviouslyit's been going on for some time because she immediately took off her shoes and stockings to do the piggy wiggly.

It did take me a second to realize it was happening. There was that moment where I was "Bro, no what are you doing?"

• Haha 2

So her dragon killed a bunch of innocent peasants when it busted into the room, but then she stared down the Hightower clan and let them off the hook.

Put me in the camp that is growing increasingly underwhelmed with this show. I loved the first 6 seasons of GoT and really wanted HOTD give a similar viewer experience, but it’s like a heavily watered down GoT. It’s not the lack of violence or action that bothers me, but rather that the characters are mostly dull and uninspired. Furthermore, the entire plot is about who will be heir to the Iron Throne, and I’m not invested enough in any of the factions to really care. It’s like watching a PAC-12 football game where I can pick someone to root for but the outcome hardly matters.

I’m already there but the season finale needs to be a grand slam or an extra based hit. If but I’ll probably just check out. We spent X amount of hours in previous episodes talking about how nobody would bow to a woman heir.. then poof that’s all gone with Aegon. Plus no daemon tonight? The fuck?

The show is 90% conversions in poorly lit rooms throughout kings landing. With accents the conversations are tough to understand. With time jumps, the characters are tough to keep up with who’s so. Especially with names that are so close together.

Hell even if they film the scene outside on a beach or ship I’d likely gauge more interest in what’s being said. It’s kinda like school where if you get to go outside for class, your attitude changes instead of being stuck in a dungeon of a classroom.

39 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We spent X amount of hours in previous episodes talking about how nobody would bow to a woman heir.. then poof that’s all gone with Aegon.

The fuck makes you think it's all gone?

This week was the greens making their play when the king dies.  Next week the reds will react. 

It's like playing cards with my brother's kids.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Sometimes laying the ground work is boring, that’s the fucking story and this likely goes for 3+ seasons. Get over it.

Well at least you admit it’s boring too. We’ve had 9 episodes, and maybe 6-8 deaths?

King, queen, daemons wife, guy last night, laenors lover, foot fetish’s brother & dad, crab guy who did nothing

Absolutely zero battles?

49 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well at least you admit it’s boring too. We’ve had 9 episodes, and maybe 6-8 deaths?

King, queen, daemons wife, guy last night, laenors lover, foot fetish’s brother & dad, crab guy who did nothing

Absolutely zero battles?

I think the show has been fantastic so far.  But I'm also a book reader so it has been great to see everything played out.  Been fun being able to discuss this stuff at the office on Monday mornings again.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, F250 said:

I'm not sure the high born consider peasants people.

Especially ones cheering for the “wrong” side.   

also the Targaryen’s don’t burn right?  So dracarys may not have done shit there.  Well maybe alicent.  

48 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Show watchers like you are how we end up with seasons 5-8 of GoT. 

You’re concerned with the lack of deaths and battles? 

It’s always like this.  People hated the sopranos towards the end because of the lack of violence

6 hours ago, WBT said:

The fuck makes you think it's all gone?

This week was the greens making their play when the king dies.  Next week the reds will react. 

It's like playing cards with my brother's kids.

His entire post was him admitting that he's too stupid to follow the show. I, for one, believe him. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Absolutely zero battles?

Additional from last night: the lord who was hung and perhaps Myseria (but I was pouring eggnog for the viewers so her situation was unclear and we never got around to talking about her). And also Laenor's uncle.

Ser Criston is rather touchy and temperamental.

Rhys Ifans--I've loved him in some of his other works but I can't make up my mind about him in HotD--if his character needs to be written slightly more sinister or if Ifans is playing him low-key for now as a slow lead in to some more serious shit. I wouldn't respect an over-the-top portrayal, but he's not quite as compelling on screen as foot fetish guy (his every scene you're just waiting to see what little nugget he's going to drop). Perhaps it is meant to display two different types of people and the way they get things done to forward their agenda and I am too stupid to get the obvious, but Larys' manipulating Alicent versus her father seems to be working a little more successfully at the moment? She doesn't like him, but she doesn't seem opposed to using him and IMO sets up some potential destruction of her own house. I rather like that--two different family lines tied together (Targaryens and Lannisters) but with different dysfunctional relationships.

The looking for Aegon scenes--I understand, or at least I think I do, what the writers were attempting to illustrate and inform for viewers but they were a little rough IMO and perhaps could've been cut in places and smoothed out? A little too much walking and while the dialogue was (I think?) trying to reveal various bits regarding motivations, personalities, etc, it perhaps could've been more succinct. More scenes in the council chamber might have been useful instead?

Rhaenys dropping pearls into Alicent's ear and then turning a potential imprisonment/death into a memorable escape was a nice end to the coronation.

Overall, we are still into it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

And I thought this episode was excellent. Great dialogue, interesting character development and exposition, a dragon, a difficult choice to make (whether to slaughter a large number of your own family to avoid a war that is surely coming), and a big, huge, fucking dragon doing dragon shit while all the smallfolk are crushed under the whims of the Targaryens. 

And Otto has been boring but he's a hell of a hype man. Aegon's entrance into the dragon pit was awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

...a difficult choice to make (whether to slaughter a large number of your own family to avoid a war that is surely coming)...

This point ^^^^

Both The Queen Who Never Was and Queen Alicent were presented with this situation. Rhaenys, who had the real firepower, chose not to use it. Alicent made her point that she would not send agents to murder on Aegon's behalf, but her father proceeded to conduct killings of possible rivals anyway.

17 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

And I thought this episode was excellent. Great dialogue, interesting character development and exposition, a dragon, a difficult choice to make (whether to slaughter a large number of your own family to avoid a war that is surely coming), and a big, huge, fucking dragon doing dragon shit while all the smallfolk are crushed under the whims of the Targaryens. 

And Otto has been boring but he's a hell of a hype man. Aegon's entrance into the dragon pit was awesome. 

I actually liked it, but I could be classified as a fan boy to some extent.  IT took the Starbucks cup for me to say "you know what, fuck this shit" with GOT.  

I don't think Rhaenys had any intention of slaughtering the royal family there though.  It was a FAFO moment.  Otto is a POS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I actually liked it, but I could be classified as a fan boy to some extent.  IT took the Starbucks cup for me to say "you know what, fuck this shit" with GOT.  

I don't think Rhaenys had any intention of slaughtering the royal family there though.  It was a FAFO moment.  Otto is a POS.

I agree. It was intended as a warning (seems pretty effective) and, more importantly, she had to get her dragon. She was arguing with whichever twin that was about needing to get to the dragon pit during her escape, and he told her not to try it because they'd expect her. That's why she smiled ear to ear when she realized the coronation, to which she was being herded with the rest of the "fortunate and honored" townsfolk, was actually going to be IN THE DRAGONPIT. And Helaena had already foretold to beware the beast beneath the boards.

Erick, Arrick, Derrick, Rick Ross, whatever his fucking name was

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BHMCruiser said:

I agree. It was intended as a warning (seems pretty effective) and, more importantly, she had to get her dragon. She was arguing with whichever twin that was about needing to get to the dragon pit during her escape, and he told her not to try it because they'd expect her. That's why she smiled ear to ear when she realized the coronation, to which she was being herded with the rest of the "fortunate and honored" townsfolk, was actually going to be IN THE DRAGONPIT. And Helaena had already foretold to beware the beast beneath the boards.

Erick, Arrick, Derrick, Rick Ross, whatever his fucking name was

I wonder if they'll dive deeper on Helaena?  Is she clairvoyant or just aware?  Also, how many little bastards does Aegon have around and will there be consequences> 

11 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Hmmm...3+ years of boring, ground work laying?  Not really a compelling argument for the show.

This season was where the framework was set for the following seasons of dragon war shit.

I think I see why some of the posters find this show hard to watch.

test guy GIF

• Haha 5