House of the Dragon

crash_davis

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Spoilers in link, they're relevant even in GoT:

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/House_Hightower

i binged-wiki the ASOI&F history before.  reading into the canon is as interesting as watching the actual show.... kinda crazy how long it must take for fantasy writers to construct an entire world

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

... kinda crazy how long it must take for fantasy writers to construct an entire world

J.K. Rowling having the Potter series 'age up' and grow more complex with each novel was quite a successful move. Regardless of how one views that series, it developed really well from her initial outline/plot (I think that is how she said she had it worked out) and more importantly--she finished! Martin's series is not quite the same animal, but he appears to have lost focus/desire/pulled in too many directions and I have put off reading the books because there are two yet to arrive and I suspect they never will. I may take the advice of a page back and just read the first three.

Oh, and thanks @Augustus for the info on the firefly.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

??? i'm responding to other peoples posts, if you can't handle it then put me on ignore. also, i make one post for every five that clostohumping, mrs.whiggums, and augustus do, so don't tell me i'm cluttering the thread because i respond to them once or twice a page. get out of your feelings and get over the fact that i'm criticizing the show, jesus. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, same thing i just said to buzz rock. god damn y'all are some whiny ass children. i criticize the show by responding to someone twice a page, fucking cry about it more. or better yet, go start the HOTD SAFE SPACE THREAD. christ. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

wrong. stop buying into your own made up bullshit. i literally said this:

THIS is what you're all crying about. are you kidding me? one paragraph, a germane response to another post in this thread, and you're all in here fucking crying over it and claiming that i'm spamming the thread with negativity. gtfo. this is not a safe space. go start a safe space thread if THAT ^^^ is too much for you to handle. jesus titty fucking christ you all some fucking babies. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

don't let the fact that a whole group of you are being hypersensitive, childish, and petty fool you into thinking that means you're right. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

and i would be one of those people. my posts are about the show. others post about me. that's what makes me angry. that's what's so mind numbingly tiresome about all of this. "oh i'll just put derka on ignore to fix my experience in this thread." says one of several people on this page who went out of their way to post about me, and not the show. the irony is maddening. 

Derka’d. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming since I never heard of the Hightower's in GOT, unlike the Lannister's, Baratheon's, etc, that this war does not go well for them. Not only do they probably lose (obvious since we know Targareans keep the throne until the mad king), they probably lose . . . completely.  Like Reins of Castemere type shit.  

And so they spoke, and so they spoke..

Edited by MeerkatBong

I saw that both the Hightowers and Valyrians were relegated to background characters or written out entirely in the original GOT TV show. The ships in Blackwater Bay that are blown up with wildfire are Valyrian ships that were pledged to Stannis. It's been a long time since I read the original books and I can't remember if either played a larger role in the original GOT books. 

He said he was the last person to ride Aegon's dragon Balerion before it died.  He didn't say he ever rode another and given his comments about him complaining his daughter smelled of dragon, I think you can probably assume he didn't have one when he died.

Viserys was the last to ride Balerion before Balerion’s death.

Old King Jaehaerys - the king before Viserys who appeared in the episode one intro - rode a different dragon.

54 minutes ago, semitired said:

Good Lord these people need to learn editing. I understand they need to make it close to an hour per episode, but just give up and make it 30mins per...

I'd prefer three hour episodes.

I could enjoy being in that world a little longer each week.  

But I've gotten heavy into comparative mythology in the last few years so I'm probably a weirdo in that regard.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

??? i'm responding to other peoples posts, if you can't handle it then put me on ignore. also, i make one post for every five that clostohumping, mrs.whiggums, and augustus do, so don't tell me i'm cluttering the thread because i respond to them once or twice a page. get out of your feelings and get over the fact that i'm criticizing the show, jesus. 

Yes but your posts are extra shitty so it FEELS like you post too much 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I'd prefer three hour episodes.

I could enjoy being in that world a little longer each week.  

But I've gotten heavy into comparative mythology in the last few years so I'm probably a weirdo in that regard.

It’s one of those shows where I get pissed when it’s over.  Same with Andor, GOT, Breaking Bad etc

• Hook 'Em 2

It's a shame we can't go back and look at the Shaggy GOT threads.  I fully expect that many of the same posters who are bitching were bitching there.

season 8, maybe 7, sure. Loved me some GOT.

HOTD is Case. GOT is Colt.

HOTD without the GOT brand is just another fantasy show. SYFY Network between Sharknado and Wynona Earp.

I flipped thru channels and I stumbled upon one of the dragons and I was like, “whoa, thats pretty cool CGi!” Turns out is was Desolation of Smaug from nine years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/6/2021 at 12:05 PM, Hozz said:

It will be appointment viewing for me, to start at least, but I have zero expectations.  GoT was so good before it got so bad.  Yes there was a slow drop off from S5 to the end but S8 was just so bad.  Like I still have no idea how it got approved.  Who approved it?  Literally you could have asked reddit morons to come up with a plot for the season and rough draft scripts and they'd have done a better job in a week, for free.  GoT went from my favorite show of all time to something I don't even like thinking about because it enrages me.

The only thing really worth a damn in that last season was the Dothraki with flaming swords attacking the army of the dead at night.

I’m sorry, but that was some fantastic shit.

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

It's a shame we can't go back and look at the Shaggy GOT threads.  I fully expect that many of the same posters who are bitching were bitching there.

i was critical of that show, at several points after season four, and especially during the final season. and you all were spazzing out and having a full on crisis about my criticisms then, too. and then when it was all said and done, the entire world came around to seeing that i was right and ended up agreeing with me. the writing was lazy and stupid, and the show was a far cry from the halcyon days of the early seasons. this show, HOTD, is slow and plodding, which is fine if it's interesting. however, the characters evoke little emotion, and the dialogue and storylines are far from captivating. that's my opinion. and whether you agree with it or not, i'm allowed to post it here. how you react to these posts is 100% up to you, and only reflects on you.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The only thing really worth a damn in that last season was the Dothraki with flaming swords attacking the army of the dead at night.
I’m sorry, but that was some fantastic shit.

Except for when she suddenly had another 10,000 Dothraki available after the whole army got extinguished by the dead. That kind of ruined the awesomeness of the scene.
  • Rage+1 1

i was critical of that show, at several points after season four, and especially during the final season. and you all were spazzing out and having a full on crisis about my criticisms then, too. and then when it was all said and done, the entire world came around to seeing that i was right and ended up agreeing with me. the writing was lazy and stupid, and the show was a far cry from the halcyon days of the early seasons. this show, HOTD, is slow and plodding, which is fine if it's interesting. however, the characters evoke little emotion, and the dialogue and storylines are far from captivating. that's my opinion. and whether you agree with it or not, i'm allowed to post it here. how you react to these posts is 100% up to you, and only reflects on you.

Counterpoint: brevity is the soul of wit.

No one said you can’t post here. If you’re gonna show up and throw up we’re “allowed” to give you shit about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif

I saw some HBO released stills floating around social media from the upcoming episode. Looking forward to the finale. The show has had four different directors for the nine episodes thus far and Greg Yaitanes directed the finale (The Black Queen). His other episodes were The Rogue Prince (E1.2) and Second of His Name (E1.3)-- the latter included the battle scene complete with crabs at the Stepstones.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Whoever gets him first can manipulate the situation as they see fit. They disagreed about how to handle the most important aspect of what they were trying to do.

That's all it came down to.

If Otto got Aegon first, there were gonna be kingsguard on their way to Dragonstone to kill Rhaenyra, Daemon and their kids immediately, and there'd be no stopping them once they were off.  Alicent had to prevent that, so she had to get possession of Aegon first.

Pretty straightforward.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, shadow_operative said:

and i would be one of those people. my posts are about the show. others post about me. that's what makes me angry. that's what's so mind numbingly tiresome about all of this. "oh i'll just put derka on ignore to fix my experience in this thread." says one of several people on this page who went out of their way to post about me, and not the show. the irony is maddening. 

Wow, isnt it crazy how you change usernames but still get in the same predicaments?

Have you considered the possibility that your opinion and demeanor are just inherently shitty?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Wow, isnt it crazy how you change usernames but still get in the same predicaments?

Have you considered the possibility that your opinion and demeanor are just inherently shitty?

no, i've repeatedly observed this 21st century phenomenon where scores of grown men just mentally crumble whenever someone says something critical about the TV show that they like.

but hey, great job rekindling this portion of the thread, i know that everyone is really appreciative of that. can't wait to see how the thread devolves from here. smart move. just keep poking the bear, don't even post about the show. and you somehow think that you have some sort of moral high ground here. christ that's pathetic. 

how about this: from here on out, anyone who refuses to post about the actual show and only posts to whine about me or my posts or literally anything else that isn't related to the actual thread topic is banned from the thread? sound good? sounds good to me. because i'm so beyond sick of this thread getting derailed like this by you children with hypersensitive feelings and personal beefs with me. 

how about this: from here on out, anyone who refuses to post about the actual show and only posts to whine about me or my posts or literally anything else that isn't related to the actual thread topic is banned from the thread? sound good? sounds good to me. because i'm so beyond sick of this thread getting derailed like this by you children with hypersensitive feelings and personal beefs with me. 

Deal, as long as repetitive pointless posts also result in a ban. I appoint myself judge of what is repetitive and pointless and I will not argue about this.

Glad we could sort this out.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, shadow_operative said:

5CB1A9F0-1A0E-4A2B-ADAE-F4841A3D3C33.gif

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

leak was in full hi def.

i watched it and it was straight fire.  pilot episode and s1e10 -- they know how to bookend the show. 

Not sure what you are talking about.  That shit was lame as hell.  Especially for a 200M or whatever the budget on this was.  The story was pathetic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

All I know is: if my father dies, I have a miscarriage, and one of my sons dies in the space of a week, I am going to have enough hormones in my bloodstream to personally rip off Otto Hightower's tiny testicles and stuff them down his throat as the answer to  Alicent's request.

Judging by the look on Rhaenyra's face, Alicent better sleep with Aegon's knife under her pillow.

Overall, it was an entertaining first round of the series.

With respect to the budget remark above--each episode was slightly under 20 million, so yeah about 200 million total and they spent a lot on marketing. The Lord of the Rings series has a budget twice that amount apparently. Lot of money being spent all around.