House of the Dragon

crash_davis

Yeah the only family to fuck their relatives and can control dragons sound boring as hell. 

I’d rather see a series about the Stark that fell for a blue princess north of the wall and became the Night King.

Dragons are boring. They’re a cheat code for the GOT world.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d rather see a series about the Stark that fell for a blue princess north of the wall and became the Night King.

I suppose any magic could be labeled a cheat code in fiction, but GRRM keeps high fantasy more 'real' than anybody's ever done it.

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s a reason they canceled the Long Night prequel while in early development.  HBO smartly realized that most GoT fans would be utterly bored with a series of events 8-10k years prior to when the series started. 

Since GRRM has been involved in the development of House of the Dragon, I bet it will at least be as good as the first for seasons of GoT. 

16 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

There’s a reason they canceled the Long Night prequel while in early development.  HBO smartly realized that most GoT fans would be utterly bored with a series of events 8-10k years prior to when the series started. 

Since GRRM has been involved in the development of House of the Dragon, I bet it will at least be as good as the first for seasons of GoT. 

Definitely sounds like the showrunners are deeply committed to making this worthy of seasons 1-4 of GOT.

And I'm thankful HBO realized that perhaps leaning heavily on the guy who invented this entire universe is probably a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I wonder if they will change up the names of Velaryon or Valyrian to avoid another Osha/Asha confusion.

Not according to IMDb

I've just started the novel and although I know the broad strokes from all those History and Lore videos (that are just terrific, btw) as well as The World of Ice and Fire, DAMN it is fun reading that stuff and living in that world for a while.

Martin's an incredible world builder and I remain astounded at the amount of history--along with absurd detail--he created as the backdrop for the ASOIAF novels.

I love the way Harren the Black went down, but my favorite part of Aegon's conquest is Visenya dropping in on little King Ronnel Arryn as his mom finds him sitting on her lap and then asking if he can go for a ride on the dragon.  Pure badassery.

Sorry for the bookfag derail but what else do we have to do till this starts?

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

This timed out pretty well with my read of Fire and Blood.

I've also revisited the History and Lore videos on YouTube, which are just outstanding.

I don't know if anyone's ever created a universe with this much history and historical breadth/detail.  It's just astounding.

This is a compilation of stories related to Westeros' history.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Sepinwall’s review killed my excitement for this.

to be fair, the first episode of GOT did have its own share of not glowing reviews either

this particularly did not age well

Todd VanDerWerff, The AV Club

Sadly, tonight’s pilot—which will likely be the only taste many viewers ever get of the series—is the weakest of the first six. It’s so taken up with making sure everything is set in place that it largely forgets to do anything other than offer up a long series of stilted introductions. It’s smart about only introducing the characters viewers absolutely NEED to know to proceed in the series, but there are still roughly a dozen of these characters, and even with a one-hour, five-minute running time, it’s something of a sprint to the cliffhanger ending that actually kicks off the bulk of the story.

Edited by Haphap

39 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Asking for a friend. He remembers jack shit about thrones besides the main scenes. Is he fucked going into tonight or is this just like a brand new everything with new characters etc?

This series takes place a couple hundred years before Game of Thrones

I’m not looking forward to wanting to like something that ends up sucking.  I think I might be asking for too much.  Less sex and nudity?  Why?  Everybody likes to fuck.  No one is being excluded.  there’s only two body types.  If anything we need more girl on girl and less dude/dude scenes.  Less sex and more politics = suck.  

fucking HBO Max app on my smart tv absolutely refuses to play this. 

It plays all other shows, but every fucking time i tell it to start HOTD it literally stops the the app, and and kicks me out of the app. 

Ive played several other shows on the same tv on the same app tonight as a test and they all work perfectly well.  but as soon as I tell the show to play HOTD it freezes the app and then the app shuts down, kicking me back to the main screen on my smart TV

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

It plays all other shows, but every fucking time i tell it to start HOTD it literally stops the the app, and and kicks me out of the app. 

Ive played several other shows on the same tv on the same app tonight as a test and they all work perfectly well.  but as soon as I tell the show to play HOTD it freezes the app and then the app shuts down, kicking me back to the main screen on my smart TV

That really sucks, man. Don't know what to say other than the HBO Max app worked fine on my TV. Did you start it late? Maybe their servers got overwhelmed with traffic?

8 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Trying switching/crating a new user name. That got it to play for me, but now the sound has cut out and doesn’t work regardless of which device I’m trying to use. 

i tried playing at 8. as soon as it showed up, and got kicked out.  tried 20 mins later, got kicked out.   so I finally tried my 3rd TV... and that one worked... until the fucking narrator started speaking.

I could hear the English narration (it was almost muted), because the narration was overlayed to what is either Russian or Ukrainian speaking.     I checked my settings and it fucking shows English and subtitles in english.... but its fucking playing russian words describing the fucking into..

I live in Austin. 

so I just logged on with my laptop... same fucking shit, the narration and the first scene is dubbed in Russian. 

what in the holy fuck is going on....  every other show plays english without a fucking issue. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i tried playing at 8. as soon as it showed up, and got kicked out.  tried 20 mins later, got kicked out.   so I finally tried my 3rd TV... and that one worked... until the fucking narrator started speaking.

I could hear the English narration (it was almost muted), because the narration was overlayed to what is either Russian or Ukrainian speaking.     I checked my settings and it fucking shows English and subtitles in english.... but its fucking playing russian words describing the fucking into..

I live in Austin. 

so I just logged on with my laptop... same fucking shit, the narration and the first scene is dubbed in Russian. 

what in the holy fuck is going on....  every other show plays english without a fucking issue. 

You've either been hacked by the Ruskies, or the old gods and the new are punishing you. Just started it on my laptop to rewatch it and, again, no problems.

• Haha 1

Well. That was very good.

The stuff that later seasons of GOT lost - and what made the earlier seasons better and gave it more depth - was the political and palace intrigue elements.

This series is going to be chock full of that. I’m very excited to see how they play with that.

And I enjoyed the bit at the end about Aegon’s vision and ASOIF. Nice nod to GOT.

• Hook 'Em 4

Really good first episode. Wish they would’ve spent just a little longer on before Viserys was king. Just added a spoiler even tho it probably doesn’t need it

Spoiler

Thought it was cool that they showed Viserys having greyscale and the doctors not sure what it is

• Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Trying switching/crating a new user name. That got it to play for me, but now the sound has cut out and doesn’t work regardless of which device I’m trying to use. 

When playing on my bluetooth headphones, some apps (YouTube in particular) will occasionally drop audio every few seconds.  Going into the system menu and force stopping the app, or going in and clearing the cache, always fixes it for me.   I figure it's some kind of buffering/memory issue.

• blacklab changed the title to House of the Dragon