House of the Dragon

crash_davis

On 10/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, Bama Chick said:

lol poor little guys

All that yucky woman stuff and childbirth is so traumatizing!!

It’s almost as if the two main characters that drive the story are women and the theme of the birthing bed being another battlefield was stated explicitly in episode one!

Doesn't make it interesting when you're waiting for something to actually happen. I feel the same way about this as I do about the endless battle sequences in TLOTR trilogy. 

A lot of birthing. A lot of people being pensive. A lot of people just walking around the castles. A lot of talking about things we would rather see. 

And nobody is witty. Nobody. You have a fabulous cast breathing life into this limping story. 

I've refrained after making earlier comments. I see people are enjoying the series and explaining why. I respect that. This is just my personal opinion.

Lastly, it's not constant warfare I want. I'm fine with conflict between characters who never leave the castle walls. Lion In Winter is among my favorite movies. Check it out if you haven't seen it. It's should be a roadmap for the creative team of this series.

• Hook 'Em 1

Could have had the same plot points without the graphic details. Was the show better for making us cringe through multiple painful, bloody, and ultimately fatal child birth scenes? Not for me but different strokes for different folks. I’m not here to kink shame anyone 

You could have the same plot points without showing the beheadings or the geldings or the removal of tongues or the battles.

But no one is bitching about those graphic details or the other multiple painful bloody and ultimately fatal scenes of a child losing an eye or getting eaten by a dragon or being forced to battle other children in a fighting pit.

A lot of the same folks fretting over bloody birth scenes are also complaining about not enough battles.

And acknowledging this story revolves around two women and these births are a central element is not a “kink”.

Viserys doesn’t name Rhaenerya his heir or spend the rest of his life consumed with guilt or marry Alicent if Aemma doesn’t die in childbirth.

Rhaenerya doesn’t have the realm against her or have her legitimacy as Queen questioned and threatened without the birth of her first three sons.

Daemon isn’t free to marry Rhaenerya if Laena doesn’t die in childbirth.

Rhaenerya doesn’t hit rock bottom without losing her daughter in childbirth.

There have been SIXTEEN pregnancies in this season (Aemma - 1, Alicent - 4, Laena - 3, Rhaenerya - 6, Helaena - 2) and we have seen four.

No one loves these scenes but they are important.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I remember when the masses bitched and clutched their pearls because Sansa got raped and Reek had to watch it.... the same people that munched popcorn to seeing a pregnant woman get stabbed in the belly multiple times. 

All that outrage was too contrived.

I don't really have a problem with the latest birth scene.  Purely as an observation, it dragged on a bit longer than needed.
But it was inconsequential for the rest of the episode, as far as I was concerned.
I loved every minute of it.

But it isn’t inconsequential.

Rhaenerya is the Queen. But at the moment she needs to be in the war council her body betrays her and takes her out of the action.

She’s already fighting against the societal idea that women can’t be rulers solely because they’re women. Giving birth is the sole domain of women and the fact that she has no choice but to remove herself at that moment gives credence to those who argue against her reign because she’s a woman.

She not only has to fight The Greens but her own body.

Daemon’s daughter is also being born but he has no restraint on his participation in the war council planning.

Rhaenerya is the only one whose life is in imminent danger at that moment - because she’s a woman giving birth.

A premature birth brought on by the betrayal of Alicent and the theft of her birthright.

Maybe Rhaenerya flies to Storm’s End instead of Lucerys if she isn’t recovering.

Maybe The Blacks get to Storm’s End before Aemond if their planning isn’t delayed by waiting on the birth and the funeral.

The show told us in episode one -

You will lie in this bed soon enough, Rhaenyra. This discomfort is how we serve the realm. We have royal wombs, you and I. The child bed is our battlefield. We must learn to face it with a stiff lip.”

There are no inconsequential battles or births in the story.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Doesn't make it interesting when you're waiting for something to actually happen. I feel the same way about this as I do about the endless battle sequences in TLOTR trilogy. 

A lot of birthing. A lot of people being pensive. A lot of people just walking around the castles. A lot of talking about things we would rather see. 

And nobody is witty. Nobody. You have a fabulous cast breathing life into this limping story. 

I've refrained after making earlier comments. I see people are enjoying the series and explaining why. I respect that. This is just my personal opinion.

Lastly, it's not constant warfare I want. I'm fine with conflict between characters who never leave the castle walls. Lion In Winter is among my favorite movies. Check it out if you haven't seen it. It's should be a roadmap for the creative team of this series.

Yes.  Some of us enjoy the series. Please forgive us.  I think you can enjoy this series while liking other series.  Or is this a competition? Or is it like sports?  Can’t be a Lions and Bears fan at the same time?

12 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Could have had the same plot points without the graphic details. Was the show better for making us cringe through multiple painful, bloody, and ultimately fatal child birth scenes? Not for me but different strokes for different folks. I’m not here to kink shame anyone 

You think it would have been as effective if they just said “hey baby died” four times?  I thought that would feel lazy imo. 

Final scene of episode 1 of got was a guy pushing a ten year old boy out the window after bopping his sister. That’s not weird?  Nobody is grab it more popcorn and replaying the birthing scenes, some just think it wasn’t egregious.  No issues with people not liking the show and having an opinion. I just disagree.  It’s part of the story. 

9 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I remember when the masses bitched and clutched their pearls because Sansa got raped and Reek had to watch it.... the same people that munched popcorn to seeing a pregnant woman get stabbed in the belly multiple times. 

I may have fast forwarded some parts of got. Still loved it though

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes.  Some of us enjoy the series. Please forgive us.  I think you can enjoy this series while liking other series.  Or is this a competition? Or is it like sports?  Can’t be a Lions and Bears fan at the same time?

Maybe read a post you quote. There's nothing critical of people who like the series in it.

You seem defensive about your taste. Don't sweat your testes.

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

But it isn’t inconsequential.

Rhaenerya is the Queen. But at the moment she needs to be in the war council her body betrays her and takes her out of the action.

She’s already fighting against the societal idea that women can’t be rulers solely because they’re women. Giving birth is the sole domain of women and the fact that she has no choice but to remove herself at that moment gives credence to those who argue against her reign because she’s a woman.

She not only has to fight The Greens but her own body.

Daemon’s daughter is also being born but he has no restraint on his participation in the war council planning.

Rhaenerya is the only one whose life is in imminent danger at that moment - because she’s a woman giving birth.

A premature birth brought on by the betrayal of Alicent and the theft of her birthright.

Maybe Rhaenerya flies to Storm’s End instead of Lucerys if she isn’t recovering.

Maybe The Blacks get to Storm’s End before Aemond if their planning isn’t delayed by waiting on the birth and the funeral.

The show told us in episode one -

There are no inconsequential battles or births in the story.

LOL.  I think you missed the "as far as I was concerned" part.

And I was referring to the length of the scene, not the content.  In other words, a lot of people were complaining about that scene being too long.  I didn't find the length of the scene to detract from my enjoyment of the show.  Thus, it wasn't consequential in that regard.

Edited by Augustus

I was listening to a music video on YouTube and this vid popped up in the suggestions. I like learning about the prep that goes into what appears on screen and this video discusses the big scene from Ep 10. I also love that the two men (mid video) were literally playing with toys. Stepping on my soapbox for a moment--underscores the importance of real and physical play (away from the screen) in relation to developing a chlld's mind and how that grows into adulthood. I don't care if you call them dolls or action figures (the latter is somehow more acceptable to certain parents apparently) but they are such a wonderful gift to the  imagination.

lots of funny stuff in there. one that resonated with me was the bit about these enormous, deafeningly loud dragons that are always sneaking up on everyone. like the time when the queen who never was rode her dragon into the coronation and her dragon roared like a banshee, and despite being like 20 foot away, nobody in the hightower family covered their ears or reacted to the noise in any way. 

also, king louis ck. hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/18/2022 at 8:02 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t really understand the motivation not to torch Aegon and the whole lot, unless she’s willing to back him over Rhanera and Daemon (despite their children all being betrothed to each other). 

Because it's poor writing.  Very poor writing. I just tonight finished episode 9 and will see the last one within the next 2 weeks but came here to see if anyone else realized how poorly done this was. Of course they can't have her do that as it would squash the insurrection and theft of the crown all at once and end the show after 1 season. The poor writing was having a character be anywhere near the position to be able to do that in the first place. 

On 10/18/2022 at 9:13 AM, closetohumping said:

That would not have been a diplomatic move at all. Rhaenys sees a longer play and isn't a hot head like say, Joffrey Lannister.  

Diplomatic? It would have completely squashed the insurrection, restored the rightful heiress as decreed by the king for 20 fucking years, and would have avoided countless future deaths and bloodshed in the pending war. 

She was held prisoner in her room and the Queen demanded she go along with such an obviously bullshit plot or else risk imprisonment or death. The show let us know how even her own father and the members of the council believed she was full of shit by having them just blatantly start discussing treason as soon as they hear her story. They assumed she was doing the same thing they had been plotting behind her back all along. It's a ludicrous story and obvious attempt at stealing the crown for herself/her kid. 

Therefore, the people of westeros would need no convincing. They already believe it's a coup attempt. Torching them in that moment is a simply executing traitors and installing the rightful heiress to her throne as was the true wish of the King that he made blatantly clear at every turn, no matter how stupid it was for him to do so, for 20 years. 

The writers had a character staring at checkmate who just says "nah, I don't want to win. Let's just reset the board and start over". It's incredibly stupid to write it like that. 

For the people say she isn't blood thirsty... yeah of course not. That isn't the act of a bloodthirsty maniac. It's the act of a person who knows a war is starting and has the ability to end it before it begins. The ability to save not only herself but all of her own people who will die in the war.  That's the opposite of bloodthirsty. 

The show is disappointing (up to episode 9 at least) because there's a good show worth of material here. It just isn't being written as a good show, and the acting is so stiff (other than Considine) like a medicore production of Shakespeare by a community theater in Grand Rapids, Michigan. GoT had relatable characters that felt like real people. Dudes busting balls and all that. These feel like cartoon characters. 

Provided thebsmwriting didnt miraculously improve in episode 10 major changes need to be made for season 2 but I doubt it will happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Because it's poor writing.  Very poor writing. I just tonight finished episode 9 and will see the last one within the next 2 weeks but came here to see if anyone else realized how poorly done this was. Of course they can't have her do that as it would squash the insurrection and theft of the crown all at once and end the show after 1 season. The poor writing was having a character be anywhere near the position to be able to do that in the first place. 

Diplomatic? It would have completely squashed the insurrection, restored the rightful heiress as decreed by the king for 20 fucking years, and would have avoided countless future deaths and bloodshed in the pending war. 

She was held prisoner in her room and the Queen demanded she go along with such an obviously bullshit plot or else risk imprisonment or death. The show let us know how even her own father and the members of the council believed she was full of shit by having them just blatantly start discussing treason as soon as they hear her story. They assumed she was doing the same thing they had been plotting behind her back all along. It's a ludicrous story and obvious attempt at stealing the crown for herself/her kid. 

Therefore, the people of westeros would need no convincing. They already believe it's a coup attempt. Torching them in that moment is a simply executing traitors and installing the rightful heiress to her throne as was the true wish of the King that he made blatantly clear at every turn, no matter how stupid it was for him to do so, for 20 years. 

The writers had a character staring at checkmate who just says "nah, I don't want to win. Let's just reset the board and start over". It's incredibly stupid to write it like that. 

For the people say she isn't blood thirsty... yeah of course not. That isn't the act of a bloodthirsty maniac. It's the act of a person who knows a war is starting and has the ability to end it before it begins. The ability to save not only herself but all of her own people who will die in the war.  That's the opposite of bloodthirsty. 

The show is disappointing (up to episode 9 at least) because there's a good show worth of material here. It just isn't being written as a good show, and the acting is so stiff (other than Considine) like a medicore production of Shakespeare by a community theater in Grand Rapids, Michigan. GoT had relatable characters that felt like real people. Dudes busting balls and all that. These feel like cartoon characters. 

Provided thebsmwriting didnt miraculously improve in episode 10 major changes need to be made for season 2 but I doubt it will happen. 

TLDR.  But seriously you’re gonna roast most of your family and then fly to dragon stone and say problem solved?  They didn’t have cell phones back then what if rhaenerys questions sequence of events?  Or what would’ve kept rhaenys from taking the throne?

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

TLDR.  But seriously you’re gonna roast most of your family and then fly to dragon stone and say problem solved?  They didn’t have cell phones back then what if rhaenerys questions sequence of events?  Or what would’ve kept rhaenys from taking the throne?

It's family that is threatening to kill you if you don't side with them, and if you do side with them the other family that you already pledged to will come to kill you. Not to mention she had already made up her mind at this point she was siding with Rhaenyra. And this family she is about to roast is staging a coup for the throne so war is guaranteed. 

This character had been portrayed as one of the most shrewd in the first season, purposely portrayed in contrast to her cousin the King whose heart was good but had zero ability to rule. She hadn't been written to be a character that would make such a completely stupid mistake. 

The writing  Is incongruent. In GoT we see Rob Stark make stupid decision after stupid decision that gets him killed,  but it's plausible because he was very young, inexperienced, and completely distracted by a woman. In this case the blunder is much more egregious and committed by a character who's vastly more experienced and shrewd. 

As for Rhaenyra taking the throne, this kingdom had a king who was weak, ineffectual, and physically wasting away that stayed in power for decades. If no one had the balls to challenge that guy for the crown they sure as shit weren't going to challenge Rhaenyra and Daemon. 

There's the makings of a good story here with the King who cares about family more than anything but through incompetence kicks off a war within his own family. It just needs to be adapted into a more tightly written and congruent screen play. 

26 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's family that is threatening to kill you if you don't side with them, and if you do side with them the other family that you already pledged to will come to kill you. Not to mention she had already made up her mind at this point she was siding with Rhaenyra. And this family she is about to roast is staging a coup for the throne so war is guaranteed. 

This character had been portrayed as one of the most shrewd in the first season, purposely portrayed in contrast to her cousin the King whose heart was good but had zero ability to rule. She hadn't been written to be a character that would make such a completely stupid mistake. 

The writing  Is incongruent. In GoT we see Rob Stark make stupid decision after stupid decision that gets him killed,  but it's plausible because he was very young, inexperienced, and completely distracted by a woman. In this case the blunder is much more egregious and committed by a character who's vastly more experienced and shrewd. 

As for Rhaenyra taking the throne, this kingdom had a king who was weak, ineffectual, and physically wasting away that stayed in power for decades. If no one had the balls to challenge that guy for the crown they sure as shit weren't going to challenge Rhaenyra and Daemon. 

There's the makings of a good story here with the King who cares about family more than anything but through incompetence kicks off a war within his own family. It just needs to be adapted into a more tightly written and congruent screen play. 

She seems to be very adept at playing politics and I don't feel she's entirely warmed to Rhaenyra and Daemon at all.  They kind of killed her son.  Also, only Alicent threatened her, and even that was a "come to me when you've made up your mind, we'll talk."  The kids weren't a part of that.

Nobody is going to challenge Daemon and Rhaeynera?  Team Green is doing it now and Rhaenys could've jumped on board, so yea, actually someone is going to challenge team Black.  Isn't that what season 2 is about?

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

She seems to be very adept at playing politics and I don't feel she's entirely warmed to Rhaenyra and Daemon at all.  They kind of killed her son.  Also, only Alicent threatened her, and even that was a "come to me when you've made up your mind, we'll talk."  The kids weren't a part of that.

Nobody is going to challenge Daemon and Rhaeynera?  Team Green is doing it now and Rhaenys could've jumped on board, so yea, actually someone is going to challenge team Black.  Isn't that what season 2 is about?

No, they wouldn't be able to challenge Rhaenyra if she had roasted them all with the dragon. And no one else in that land was going to challenge them if they didn't challenge a weak, crippled king in the decades he ruled. That's the whole point of this conversation, it was shit writing to put that character in that position to begin with. 

This plot has more holes than Swiss cheese and a couple are wider than South Austin's mom's butthole. 

4 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

That’s ridiculous. She knew exactly what she was doing. She didn’t want to roast just them. She wants them all gone. She’s willing to sacrifice some to take them all out. It’s classic Targ. Why burn a few when you can burn them all.

She sent her message, loud and clear. 

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

That makes absolutely zero sense. Am I attempting to discuss a political drama/thriller with children here? 

On 11/8/2022 at 12:31 AM, Hermanator said:

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Hermanator said:

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

That makes absolutely zero sense. Am I attempting to discuss a political drama/thriller with children here? 

Your preference would be for the easiest dumbest plot line. “Just kill everyone!” Not everyone is a mass murderer. Her decision shows complexity and that she is human, plus all the calculated stuff others have mentioned. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah the scene where Rhaenys spurns Rhaenerya’s marriage alliance to uphold Lucerys’s inheritance only to then change on a dime when Viserys slithers into the Throne Room shows Rhaenys is smart and adaptable and doesn’t make rash decisions.

She flew to warn Rhaenerya because of her feelings for her grandchildren - not loyalty to Rhaenerya and Daemon. The show pointedly showed her as the only person deliberately not bending the knee to Rhaenerya.

She was not choosing sides until she had more information and until she could consult with Corlys.

Only after hearing Alicent’s pitch - we women can’t rule but we can influence the men and then seeing Rhaenerya was being deliberate and thoughtful did she make her choice.

So why in the sweet blue fuck would she have torched the Greens impetuously with only one side of the story?

She was very much NOT Team Black at the usurpation coronation in the Dragon Pit.

And if Rhaenerya had not impressed her, she would have agreed with Corlys to sit the whole thing out.

Anyone that expected her to burn the Greens just because hasn’t been paying attention to how Rhaenys operates.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah the scene where Rhaenys spurns Rhaenerya’s marriage alliance to uphold Lucerys’s inheritance only to then change on a dime when Viserys slithers into the Throne Room shows Rhaenys is smart and adaptable and doesn’t make rash decisions.

She flew to warn Rhaenerya because of her feelings for her grandchildren - not loyalty to Rhaenerya and Daemon. The show pointedly showed her as the only person deliberately not bending the knee to Rhaenerya.

She was not choosing sides until she had more information and until she could consult with Corlys.

Only after hearing Alicent’s pitch - we women can’t rule but we can influence the men and then seeing Rhaenerya was being deliberate and thoughtful did she make her choice.

So why in the sweet blue fuck would she have torched the Greens impetuously with only one side of the story?

She was very much NOT Team Black at the usurpation coronation in the Dragon Pit.

And if Rhaenerya had not impressed her, she would have agreed with Corlys to sit the whole thing out.

Anyone that expected her to burn the Greens just because hasn’t been paying attention to how Rhaenys operates.

Correct.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:47 PM, TankedBevo said:

I don't know, I find the politics this early on entertaining because you KNOW some serious shit is about to go down. The crab feeder looks like an interesting foe and the scenes from the beach were fucking gnarly. I get there hasn't been any all out battles unless you count the royal court's competition from the first episode but the mere presence of the dragons squaring up in this episode will do for now. My guess is this shit turns up to 11 sooner rather than later.

This was a valid expectation back when written. @TankedBevo how did you feel about the series as it ended?

Serious and unprejudiced question. Thanks.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:40 PM, TankedBevo said:

These characters are drier than saltines. There is no one to root for, too much posturing talk, LOTS of incest (yes I know this is a thing in all the GRRM books but it's still weird), and the only cool thing that has actually happened, the battle at the Stepstones, was way too short and you don't even get to see Crab Feeder get his torso divorced from his legs. Everyone just seems whiny and obnoxious. 

@MeerkatBongwas right above. So far, this show lacks wit and testosterone. I'll probably keep watching until the end of this season but things will need to change dramatically 

I followed up a little bit later and the sentiment still remains the same. I did like the season finale, so I'll keep going with it.  

• Like 1

Finally watched the series, I dropped HBO about a year ago and was waiting to re-order it, so I could line up binging HOD along with His Dark Materials and a couple of other things.

I don't have much to say beyond what's already been said, the show has some problems but overall it's entertaining and engaging.  I do agree with those that say there's not much wit, and a lot of pensive staring and walking around in hallways.  But I still like it and will be happy to see the next season.

Oh and the head-slicing scene is a top 5 among all GOT/HOD scenes for me, that was amazing.

• Hook 'Em 2

For all the horrific shit going on in Westeros and Essos throughout the story, GoT definitely had a lighter feel with tons of comedic, laugh out loud moments.

This show is much darker and it's missing those characters like Tyrion or Bronn or Jaime who excelled with the sarcasm and witty rejoinders.  I wonder if they'll be conscious of that in season 2.

But as I'm sure was obvious throughout this thread, I loved being back in this universe, at a different time in history, and experiencing from different points of view and circumstances.  I do hope we get some characters with the charisma of those mentioned above, and I think they've got something to work with in Aemond (and obviously Daemon) but I'd be satisfied if season 2 is of the same level of quality as the first. 

Edited by Augustus

The central problem with this show vis a vis GoT is that it is not the sociological** drama that was the first five seasons of GoT, it is character-driven.  

And all the characters are weasels, except Viserys and Daemon, who is a wolverine, or some kind of super-weasel.  And, they're very weasely weasels, trying to hide their self-interest and mostly failing, which is why Daemon is more compelling.

Although, here toward the end, where people are starting to get slaughtered on the reg, it might become a little more sociological, or at least less of a slow soap opera.

**That was an observation made by a critic comparing "early" GoT to The Wire.  In both, central characters were killed off with alarming and sudden frequency (or even just disappeared from storylines for seasons or large chunks of them), yet Westeros and the Houses plodded on to their "destinies," just like Bawlmer and the various groups did in The Wire.

Edited by TwiceHorn