House of the Dragon

crash_davis

I thought it was ok. I think part of the problem is that I was invested in the original GOT characters after having read the series, and everyone in the prequals are figures from the lightly fleshed out backstory.

So I’ll give it some time to see if they can build up a character or three with the depth and dialogue that we saw in the original series. 

• Like 1

I like how they showed that Grand Maester was at best a middling healer with that scene with Visery's back wound and then being the one making the prognosis about Aemma and the baby's survivability.

Edited by Haphap

At first, I was getting a Star Wars prequel vibe. Lots of chatter about a political situation I have no investment in plus insipid dialogue. They're counting on our love of the original instead of developing a good story.

It made me think of GOT, and how you work your way into that world through scattered personal stories mostly associated with House Stark. The affections and competition there was very inviting. Made me care.

It might have been wise, for my viewing pleasure anyway, to start with the Hand and his daughter and follow them into their worlds and relationships. The king and his wife may have made a good entry as well. A nice talk at the tub, the disastrous birth, and the uniquely Targaryon funeral would have poignant if a little more carefully developed.

It's worth watching. They just wasted a lot of screen time, I thought.

Did I just forget HBO axed a 30 million dollar pilot? I went into this thinking it was that "set 1000 years before GoT" series I read about in like 2019.  IOW I was just checkin the specs on the end line for the rotary girder...

I'm definitely ready to be all in on this. My initial thoughts were wow... this feels promising. Whatever expectations I had felt met by the end. Enjoyed the Easter eggs, weaving the old theme into a new score, the callback to the prophecy, etc. Probably some stuff I missed too.

I was worried I was being pedoish, but luckily Milly Alcock "Rhaenyra" is 22... whew.

Whew. I’m not the only one. Is it wrong I’m mid-50’s?

Unfortunately, IMBD identifies her as “young” Rhaenyra so she won’t apparently be a permanent cast member. Which gives me the sad.

Ohhhh boy.

Good first episode. That labor scene had me squirmy.

What was the point of the tournament?

I understood the point of the tournament but I didn’t understand the point of all the murders. Seems like a tough sell for that next tournament. “Come on down, it will be a good time. Murdered? What? No, no, you definitely won’t be murdered. Just good competition. Bring the wife and kids.”

14 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Unfortunately, IMBD identifies her as “young” Rhaenyra so she won’t apparently be a permanent cast member. Which gives me the sad.

There’s supposedly a time jump midway through so grown up Rhaenyra is Emma D’Arcy

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If toning down the sex means more orgies on screen, then I guess I’m in.

This was very good.

I'm almost positive I saw a chick's butthole, so that's definitely two thumbs up for me. 

On the down side, my wife's best friend died in chldbirth, along with her twins, so that part hit close to home and was hard to watch. 

13 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I'm almost positive I saw a chick's butthole, so that's definitely two thumbs up for me. 

You did. Good for them. 

I managed to avoid all the chatter before the show, only seeing previews via commercials. 

Worth it. You can see the turmoil beginning to bubble, and shits going to be a wild ride. 

Could they fuck it up? Yes. 

At least Martins more involved, and the material is fully there. The groundwork is laid well. Let’s see where they take it. 

Did I just forget HBO axed a 30 million dollar pilot? I went into this thinking it was that "set 1000 years before GoT" series I read about in like 2019.  IOW I was just checkin the specs on the end line for the rotary girder...
I'm definitely ready to be all in on this. My initial thoughts were wow... this feels promising. Whatever expectations I had felt met by the end. Enjoyed the Easter eggs, weaving the old theme into a new score, the callback to the prophecy, etc. Probably some stuff I missed too.

It was a different prequel that they cancelled. It had Naomi Watts cast as the lead. They probably decided to run first with one that actually had a decent amount of source material instead of a one pager in the history of Westeros book.

I understood the point of the tournament but I didn’t understand the point of all the murders. Seems like a tough sell for that next tournament. “Come on down, it will be a good time. Murdered? What? No, no, you definitely won’t be murdered. Just good competition. Bring the wife and kids.”

That’s where it lost me… “oh…okay…”

Guess they needed an out to get some blood and guts in episode 1.
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That’s where it lost me… “oh…okay…”

Guess they needed an out to get some blood and guts in episode 1.

Maybe I read too much into it, but I surmised that it was the king's absence that allowed the violence to escalate.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I chuckled at that shot of Rhaenyra watching Daemon fight. She had this gleeful, euphoric look on her face. Like damn girl, you're not even a little bit worried about your uncle right now?

I went in thinking this would suck due to how bad the final season from a plot and writing standpoint.  I thought this first episode was great.  I’m hoping this story isn’t about a Targaryen girl being queen bc the entire GOT series was mainly about Dani trying to get the throne.  I was hoping for something a bit different if you’re going to have a whole new story.  Either way, fantastic 1st episode.  I’ll be watching the whole series.   

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I went in thinking this would suck due to how bad the final season from a plot and writing standpoint.  I thought this first episode was great.  I’m hoping this story isn’t about a Targaryen girl being queen bc the entire GOT series was mainly about Dani trying to get the throne.  I was hoping for something a bit different if you’re going to have a whole new story.  Either way, fantastic 1st episode.  I’ll be watching the whole series.   

I mean, we all know there will be some fighting over the the legitimacy of who sits on the iron throne. It's what everything is centered on. And yes, there will be a Targaryan girl involved. Pretty sure there will be a few other story lines to discuss though.

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I haven't seen any announcements from HBO, so I'll turn to the book readers. How many seasons of material are in Fire and Blood? 

They could probably streamline it to 3 but they could also do 5 good seasons if they do it right.

• Hook 'Em 1

The show is based on only 1 existing book.  Martin has plans for a 2nd, but we know his track record on finishing books.  This book is different from the series in that it's written like a history book, so it covers ground a lot more quickly and the story isn't as fleshed out.  They also can't lift dialogue straight from it like they could in Game of Thrones.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Very average looking young gal. Should I say it 3 times?

• blacklab changed the title to House of the Dragon