House of the Dragon

crash_davis

Did y’all watch the same show I did? The princess looks inbred (maybe that’s the point?) and the nudity was mostly people who should keep their clothes on. And the sons of noble houses fighting to the death is not plausible.  I think it will get better, but if I hadn’t seen GOT I would probably be out based on 1 episode

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

Just so I don't piss anybody off... even though this is a prequel and the story is widely known, are we gonna treat this like the illiterati thread with no spoiler/bookfag talk?

I assume so but just wanted to clarify.

Yes, no book discussion of any kind here, there's a thread for people that read the book.

If you are a book reader and someone is predicting shit that is obviously from the books please let me know.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I refuse to read the book until the whole series is actually out. Knowing the fat fuck it’s pretty safe to predict the princess winds up fucking and or marrying the king’s brother. And will be also fucking the knight who kicked her uncle/lover’s ass in the tournament (he’s not a noble so no marriage there)

16 hours ago, Augustus said:

If somebody gave me Valyrian steel jewelry, I'm saying thank you then going straight to a blacksmith to have that stuff forged into a dagger.

I think you'd have to go to Essos to get that done.  No smith's in Westeros know how to rework Valyrian steel.  

55 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I think you'd have to go to Essos to get that done.  No smith's in Westeros know how to rework Valyrian steel.  

In Game of Thrones, Tywin had Ned Stark's Valyrian steel sword melted down and re-forged into two swords for Jaime and Joffrey.  I can't recall for sure, but it seems like he mentioned a smith who had the competence for that, but that might be my mind creating something, not sure.

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

Yes, no book discussion of any kind here, there's a thread for people that read the book.

If you are a book reader and someone is predicting shit that is obviously from the books please let me know.

Excellent.  While you're here, would you please remove the "S" from the thread title?  I don't know why that bugs me every time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

You were right!  I just watched the YouTube clip.  Tywin said there were 3 smiths who knew how to re-work Valyrian steel.  The finest of them was in Volantis, so Tywin brought him to Westeros.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Augustus said:

In Game of Thrones, Tywin had Ned Stark's Valyrian steel sword melted down and re-forged into two swords for Jaime and Joffrey.  I can't recall for sure, but it seems like he mentioned a smith who had the competence for that, but that might be my mind creating something, not sure.

It was Gendry’s boss I think

13 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Did y’all watch the same show I did? The princess looks inbred (maybe that’s the point?) and the nudity was mostly people who should keep their clothes on. And the sons of noble houses fighting to the death is not plausible.  I think it will get better, but if I hadn’t seen GOT I would probably be out based on 1 episode

Do we know for sure that any of the tourney's dead combatants were the actual sons of the noble houses, or just knights in their service?

Melee was often fatal, but I think the point there was to symbolize how the prolonged peace had everybody seething to wreck some shit.  I also don't think it's too far beyond the pale that things could get out of hand when the king has absented himself and therefore not present to put a stop to the fight before things got fatal.

But I admit I didn't like how far they took it.

11 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Do we know for sure that any of the tourney's dead combatants were the actual sons of the noble houses, or just knights in their service?

it mustnt be the high-born knights because there would surely be repercussions.  typically theyre only fighting for honor, or settlement over possession. 

• blacklab changed the title to House of the Dragon
3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

It was Gendry’s boss I think

I don't think so.  I interpreted Tywin saying that he had him brought over just to rework Ice into the two swords and then he sent him back home to Volantis.  I could be wrong, but I don't think one of three guys in the world who can rework Valaryian steel would be hanging out in Flea Bottom.   

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I don't think so.  I interpreted Tywin saying that he had him brought over just to rework Ice into the two swords and then he sent him back home to Volantis.  I could be wrong, but I don't think one of three guys in the world who can rework Valaryian steel would be hanging out in Flea Bottom.   

11 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Right. Tywin had him come over to do the work, and then he went home. 

Maybe he did the work in the same shop Gendry was in, but it wasn’t ever disclosed in the show past the mention of bringing the guy over to do the work. 

I’m pretty sure it was him. Maybe I’m remembering from the books though

8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Right. Tywin had him come over to do the work, and then he went home. 

Maybe he did the work in the same shop Gendry was in, but it wasn’t ever disclosed in the show past the mention of bringing the guy over to do the work. 

I'm gonna guess they have a pretty sweet blacksmith shop at the Red Keep.   Making a dude that sailed across the ocean to do you a solid go down to the Street of Steel seems like a dick move.   

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m pretty sure it was him. Maybe I’m remembering from the books though

Him as in Gendry's boss who reworked Ice into two swords?  That just doesn't seem right, even for the books.  Gendry's boss seems like he's been in business a while.  Unless the show added the "only three smith's in the world can rework Valaryian steel", but tat seems like a very odd thing to change from book to TV.   Why bother changing it at all?    

5 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Him as in Gendry's boss who reworked Ice into two swords?  That just doesn't seem right, even for the books.  Gendry's boss seems like he's been in business a while.  Unless the show added the "only three smith's in the world can rework Valaryian steel", but tat seems like a very odd thing to change from book to TV.   Why bother changing it at all?    

Found it Tobho Mott

On 8/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, Sawbonz said:

Interesting.  That completely contradicts what Tywin said in the show.  So I guess they did add that whole thing about only 3 smiths being able to rework Valyrian steel.  Seems like an odd thing to add when you've already cast someone to play the guy who actually did it.  

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Interesting.  That completely contradicts what Tywin said in the show.  So I guess they did add that whole thing about only 3 smiths being able to rework Valyrian steel.  Seems like an odd thing to add when you've already cast someone to play the guy who actually did it.  

Saved 'em having to bring the actor back or shoot an additional scene, as they probably figured few viewers would recognize his name.

EDIT:  And of course I just realized none of that makes sense because they did shoot a scene, that required an actor.

I'm sleepy.

Edited by Augustus

On 8/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, blacklab said:

You should go back and delete the link to the Targ family tree. It's full of spoilers for this entire series.

This episode sucked, save for the dragon scene( shocker.)

The king is a dumbfuck and the Hand is pedantic AF( How'd he become Hand, a game of poker?

The Princess has more balls than the rest of the council combined.

It's basically been 2 episodes of the Bachelor.   with dragons.

Edited by slorch

I do miss live premiers for keeping us all synced up in a thread like this.  Wife and I  sorta stumbled into Ep2 by watching the last ten minutes of the premier this evening, as the storm in cedar park last night woke my kids up = no more dragons, blood and sex when my 8/6 yo kiddos are freaking out.  

Was the intro in the first episode too?  Can’t tell if I accidentally skipped it for the premiere or if they withheld it for the second episode.  

So far I’m enjoying it quite a bit.  The stakes for the realm picked up immensely between Rhae’s flash of badassery and the conversation in the final minute tonight.  Add those two up and it sets the board pieces nicely for the grand scale of tension that made GoT so interesting to me.  (purposely left vague for those who haven’t watched yet)

Now it just needs to show me that the writers can weave characters that I care for.  It’s a little early but what made GoT so special to me was both the epic world building AND the clever dialog, murky motivations yet clear ambition inherent in each character.  To borrow from my #1 show of all time:  all the pieces mattered. 

It’s too early to really bond with the characters, but I was encouraged tonight. Agree with StruggleBus, I think 8 seasons of history + monster expectations clouds y’all a bit.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1