ALDS: Rays vs Red Sox

Fudge Nuggets

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What would the alternative be though? Calling it a homer? Doesn't seem like there's any in-between. 

Probably none, they should amend the rules though that if the outfielder creates a ground rule double any lead runner gets an additional base....or something like that.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Probably none, they should amend the rules though that if the outfielder creates a ground rule double any lead runner gets an additional base....or something like that.  

Yeah was just thinking about it further - there's obviously an in-between which would be a triple. Say everyone on base scores but the hitter gets 2 bases or something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What would the alternative be though? Calling it a homer? Doesn't seem like there's any in-between. 

i imagine that if the runner were rounding third and the CF picked up the ball and threw it into the stands that said runner would be awarded the next base. seems like that's what should have happened here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm no baseball expert, but the announcers said it was at the umpire's discretion. It obvious the runner would have scored, so give him the run and put the batter at 2nd. Problem solved.

38 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm no baseball expert, but the announcers said it was at the umpire's discretion. It obvious the runner would have scored, so give him the run and put the batter at 2nd. Problem solved.

That's true, but with a caveat. The runner was determined to be between 2nd and 3rd when the ball went over the wall.  Would he have scored ? Yes - easily. Umpire ruled him back to 3rd due to where the runner was when it happened (and similar to how a traditional ground-rule double would have been ruled). If that ball bounces over the short wall in right field (untouched traditional ground-rule double), it would have been ruled the same way - runners on 2nd and 3rd - regardless of whether the runner would have scored from first or not. The crazy thing to me/question is the contact with a defensive player.  The rule states if the player wasn't controlling the ball then it doesn't matter. It's a ground-rule double. I'd expect a rule update/clarification on the player contact part in the offseason, but what's done is done. You cant say Tampa would have definitely won or Boston would have definitely lost because of that play though with Boston hitting a 2 run HR at the bottom of the inning. That's only 1 run and Boston got out of the inning after that. It's one of the weirdest plays I've ever seen. And I am glad the umps deferred to NY for ruling. It would have looked like "the fix was in"  to me (and I am a Red Sox fan) had they not done that. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

If the ball is thrown out of play, it's two bases from the time of the throw.  

If the ball is deflected out of play, it's two bases from the time of the pitch.  

Not sure why there's a distinction there.