ALDS: Rays vs Red Sox

Fudge Nuggets

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

"There have been 7 walk off homers by a catcher in postseason history".....CRACK

Damn, that was some timing.

When he said that I said and here comes number 8. you know that always happens when announcers say shit like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Seems like in a case where the ball was thrown out of play, the runner had 3rd base (if ruled by position on base path at time of throw) and would have been allowed to advance one base to take home. Very strange though. One of those things you never figure to happen and when it does there's always a gray area. I remember Jose Canseco head-butting a ball over the fence for a home run while playing right field. Difference for this one is it hit the ground first. Weird nonetheless.   

16 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Even with the 2-1 advantage and playing at home, I still feel like the Rays somehow have the upper hand. Maybe it’s just E-Rod on the bump for the Sox tonight.

Should be a fun crowd tonight.

Agreed to some extent.  They will definitely have the advantage in each individual game but thankfully we have the advantage in the series.

That same play will never happen again but it’s enough for me to advocate a rules modification to introduce the ground rule triple. Shouldn’t be a four-bagger, but if you (even though  unintentional) somehow defensively put the ball out of play in fair territory, that shouldn’t be the same as a ball down the line rolling under the tarp…

• Like 1

Good thing the Rays pulled McHugh after 18 pitches.  I don't get how they think they can get through a postseason throwing 8 pitchers every single game.  I know they almost won it all last year but they've gone even more extreme with it this year.

15 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't get why everyone is so hung up on it.  It wasn't on purpose.  It was a freak thing but not that different than a regular ground rule double.

Except that it’s a ball in fair territory that a fielder had a chance to make a play on and instead caused the ball to go into the stands. Like I said above, I don’t think that should fall under the same set of rules as a batted fair ball curving down the line that ends up under a tarp. The defensive player should be held to a one-base higher standard than the tarp…

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Dumb like a fox. They’ve made the playoffs 3 years running with a average payroll of $66M

I think we can acknowledge that Cash has overall done a really good job but that tonight looks like a pretty big fuckup. 

It doesn't matter if you make the wrong call in May and drop a game. Slip up in a must win game in October and you're going home. 

Guessing he learns from it. 

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

I don't get why everyone is so hung up on it.  It wasn't on purpose.  It was a freak thing but not that different than a regular ground rule double.

It’s more akin to throwing the ball into the dugout which is 2 bases from position of runner at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we can acknowledge that Cash has overall done a really good job but that tonight looks like a pretty big fuckup. 
It doesn't matter if you make the wrong call in May and drop a game. Slip up in a must win game in October and you're going home. 
Chortle

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:
7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Chortle

You're right. He probably thinks he did nothing wrong and got unlucky. 

The Rays problem is that relievers are effective because of the unknown.  That almost becomes null and void in a 5 or 7 game series.  Especially considering they are facing really fucking good hitters every batter, not just your average MLB hitter.  The Rays compound this by using their relievers more than any other club and doubling down on that strategy in the playoffs.