I have failed as a Texan because....

21 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

...I’ve never seen Dazed & Confused. 
...I’ve never been to Big Bend. 
...I’ve never been to the State Fair. 

1. You are a bad person for this.

2. I always associate Big Bend with my hippy housemates and I think one of them was from Texas. May be a cool place, but it's not as Texan as any number of BBQ joints in small towns. My main interest in Big Bend would be slipping into Mexico.

3. You missed very little. The thing I didn't know when I went was that Dallas had some kind of metro rail that would have taken us to the fair. I was like "screw this fair, I wish I'd been riding the train."

Yeah I wouldn’t beat yourself up about Big Bend. It’s not very easy to get to. There are chartered flights, but that’s a Surly 1% deal. Otherwise it’s a very long drive or a flight and a long drive. About 3-4 hours from the Midland or El Paso airports. 

Dazed and Confused is a couple clicks on your remote away. That one is pretty inexcusable. It’s a very popular film, not some cult classic that’s only available on VHS. 

Personally, I like going to the Fair on week days when it’s less crowded. Just take a couple days off from work and go check it out this month. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2021 at 6:09 PM, RDCanecutter said:

1. You are a bad person for this.

2. I always associate Big Bend with my hippy housemates and I think one of them was from Texas. May be a cool place, but it's not as Texan as any number of BBQ joints in small towns. My main interest in Big Bend would be slipping into Mexico.

3. You missed very little. The thing I didn't know when I went was that Dallas had some kind of metro rail that would have taken us to the fair. I was like "screw this fair, I wish I'd been riding the train."

On 10/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah I wouldn’t beat yourself up about Big Bend. It’s not very easy to get to. There are chartered flights, but that’s a Surly 1% deal. Otherwise it’s a very long drive or a flight and a long drive. About 3-4 hours from the Midland or El Paso airports. 

Dazed and Confused is a couple clicks on your remote away. That one is pretty inexcusable. It’s a very popular film, not some cult classic that’s only available on VHS. 

Personally, I like going to the Fair on week days when it’s less crowded. Just take a couple days off from work and go check it out this month. 

Enablers.  The both of you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Judged a chili contest when I was in Denver.   I voted for the vegan chili. 

If you voted for it because you are vegan-- no wait, can't be that, you would have already told us you were vegan.

If you voted for it because it tasted better, hmm, many a man has been duped, no shame or credit.

If you voted for it specifically to fuck with everybody, I'd call that Extra-Texan, as in Kinky Friedman style Texan.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If you voted for it because you are vegan-- no wait, can't be that, you would have already told us you were vegan.

If you voted for it because it tasted better, hmm, many a man has been duped, no shame or credit.

If you voted for it specifically to fuck with everybody, I'd call that Extra-Texan, as in Kinky Friedman style Texan.

She was a hot lesbian 

• Drool 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't venture into this forum much but I will say that one thing I'm some regretful for, I've lived here since 1984, and I've never actually been to the Salt Lick.  I've had their BBQ and been to a party at one of the newer buildings, but never actually been on the original premises.  Maybe that's good?  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I don't venture into this forum much but I will say that one thing I'm some regretful for, I've lived here since 1984, and I've never actually been to the Salt Lick.  I've had their BBQ and been to a party at one of the newer buildings, but never actually been on the original premises.  Maybe that's good?  

I went circa 1989 and I seem to remember the owner was a Brit who wore 1880s cowboy attire and was paralyzed drunk every night. 

I guess it became trendy to hate on it for a while (maybe still is?), but it’s a really great place to grab a picnic table + BYOB in Spring/Fall…espec on a weekday when it’s not very busy.

We often used to “tailgate” there before night games in the mid-late aughts and always had a blast.

Obviously not much of a “getaway” vibe anymore with all the newly-built sprawl, but still worth a visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Muny_Tex said:

I guess it became trendy to hate on it for a while (maybe still is?), but it’s a really great place to grab a picnic table + BYOB in Spring/Fall…espec on a weekday when it’s not very busy.

We often used to “tailgate” there before night games in the mid-late aughts and always had a blast.

Obviously not much of a “getaway” vibe anymore with all the newly-built sprawl, but still worth a visit.

Yeah, the atmosphere was a plus.

Dazed and Confused came out while I was living overseas. I've been married twice -- once to a Brit and then to a Texan -- and neither of my wives have ever wanted to watch it....And since then it's become something like a blinking warning light on the dashboard....."Oh it just does that when the humidity's just right"....Something I know I have to do, but it continually gets lost under other shit that seems more important in the moment. Including many bullshit movies my wives preferred.

I've been to far West Texas twice but never south of Alpine. I do love it out there. I want to do both Big Bend and Guadalupe Mtn NP some day.

Never done Big Bend or Enchanted Rock. (Really want to do Big Bend)

But I bet most of y'all have never been to Colmesneil or Iola,  so who is the real Texan?

As for me, here's what I can think of:

• don't (and never have) owned cowboy boots or hat
  • never been to the Big Texan steakhouse
  • think most of the time (outside of spring), the Hill Country is kinda ugly
  • never been farther west than Bandera, except when I went through the Panhandle once
  • Chicken Fried Steak is a crummy cut of meat they are trying to hide
  • Rage+1 2

15 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Never done Big Bend or Enchanted Rock. (Really want to do Big Bend)

But I bet most of y'all have never been to Colmesneil or Iola,  so who is the real Texan?

As for me, here's what I can think of:

• don't (and never have) owned cowboy boots or hat
  • never been to the Big Texan steakhouse
  • think most of the time (outside of spring), the Hill Country is kinda ugly
  • never been farther west than Bandera, except when I went through the Panhandle once
  • Chicken Fried Steak is a crummy cut of meat they are trying to hide

Username checks out and awesome troll post. Well done. 

My first experience with 6th Street, keep up the good work.

A) Heyday was peak high school period for me. Shortly after made it to Austin in time for to hear the death knell.

'Everybody Wants Some' was an underrated followup.

B) Only faintly dabbled in Big Bend, Alpine, Terlingua, Presidio and Marfa for the Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes, Mumford And Sons, and Old Crow Medicine Show -  Railroad Revival Tour. Missed Old Crow perform because you shouldn't leave hard tickets back at the campgrounds in Terlingua. Picked up charges at one of the many inland border checkpoints. Can't wait to get go back.

C) Been to every Texas/ou since 1997, FML. But love the fair, and am always left wanting to take a day off of work and go early morning midweek and take my time. But yeah it's a dump, but it's our dump. Ross Perot killed the Fairgrounds.

D) I can't two step

E) The great plains fucking suck. We are only here because of the Trinity River.

F) At the moment I don't have a truck.

Edited by JohnnyRage

On 2/15/2022 at 5:45 PM, Muny_Tex said:

Loved going there in college in the early 00s. They expanded to some place off 360 I think by my sr year. Did not have the same atmosphere as the picnic tables w friends. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 11:37 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Loved going there in college in the early 00s. They expanded to some place off 360 I think by my sr year. Did not have the same atmosphere as the picnic tables w friends. 

I was in school in the 90's and the BBQ scene in Austin was quite different than today. the food seemed great to a college kid, the scene was fun enough and the BYOB was a bonus as well. I moved away after school, came back to Austin years later, and havent been back. I probably would if a group I hung out with suggested a trip, but there's a lot more decent BBQ options closer to town these days,  and nobody ever suggests it. It probably still does fine just with the tourist crowds that hear about the Salt Lick as a "must do" while in the area. 

• 4 weeks later...