That 90’s Show (That 70’s Show Spin-off)

Bogeywon

35 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I think I am more disturbed that a show set in the mid-90s is the same number of years ago as That 70s Show was when it first came out.  Jesus. 

A buddy pointed out a while back that as kids in elementary school, we had some teachers born in the 1920s and 30s (albeit nearing retirement), and in high school, we had teachers born in the 40s and 50s - our parents' generation (and I had a couple of actual Vietnam vets who were teachers).  Then he pointed out that our drill instructors are now all in their late 50s and into their 60s.

And last year when some of the teachers at my kids' school were retiring, I realized they were in their 60s, which meant they were born in the late 50s/1960.

Left me feeling kind of....

53F2X6.gif

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I think I am more disturbed that a show set in the mid-90s is the same number of years ago as That 70s Show was when it first came out.  Jesus. 

Get ready to be more disturbed.

It's not the same.  It's worse.  That 70's Show started in 1998 and took place in 1976.  22 years.  The equivalent would be a "That 2000's Show" that starts in the year 2000 since the new show won't debut until 2022.

Same with this new Wonder Years reboot.  The original was exactly 20 years apart -- 1988 and 1968.  This new one would have taken place in 2001 if it were the same. 

Edited by Tom

55 minutes ago, Tom said:

Get ready to be more disturbed.

It's not the same.  It's worse.  That 70's Show started in 1998 and took place in 1976.  22 years.  The equivalent would be a "That 2000's Show" that starts in the year 2000 since the new show won't debut until 2022.

Same with this new Wonder Years reboot.  The original was exactly 20 years apart -- 1988 and 1968.  This new one would have taken place in 2001 if it were the same. 

s4IzUjo.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

There was a 90s nostalgia show a few years ago on Netflix called Everything Sucks that only lasted 1 season. It had a good premise but they tried too hard to overload it with 90s cliches. 

I wanted that show to be Freaks and Geeks and so did whoever made the show. It was almost good.

• Fuck You 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone tried to watch this show? My wife and I watched the first couple of episodes last night. It had its moments, but didn’t seem all that interesting. Maybe when it settles down and the novelty wears off? The most interesting part, for us, was my wife trying to map the new cast onto the original characters. 

2 hours ago, Apep said:

The most interesting part, for us, was my wife trying to map the new cast onto the original characters. 

I was thinking about this in the shower. Not a lot of 1:1 mapping besides Leia as Eric. Gwen was pretty Hyde/Donna. Nikki was a smart and mature Jackie, but Ozzie was a lot of Fez/Jackie. Jay was Kelso/some Hyde but Nate was pretty Kelso-ish too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Deej said:

Thinking...

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Look you get high, you binge the show, you take a shower and 20 min later you’re still in the shower trying to figure out who of the new characters is equivalent to the original ones and you’re more wrinkles than a prune 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Js1 said:

Look you get high, you binge the show, you take a shower and 20 min later you’re still in the shower trying to figure out who of the new characters is equivalent to the original ones and you’re more wrinkles than a prune 

Freaking Out George Costanza GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

i watched the first episode and it was fine, though the best parts were definitely with the original cast.  the new kids feel like a nickelodeon show.    i did legit lol when kelso dropped in with his "burn!" in episode 1.  topher grace doesn't look like he has aged at all since the original show concluded.

i'll watch some more because i want to see how they work the original cast into it throughout the season and it's only ten 22 minute episodes, but i am not expecting it to be anything more than not terrible to fine.

Post above nails it. I watched it all over the past 2 days just because. New kids are boring, best parts are with kitty and red and when the original cast pops in for a scene. 

I also just looks and the kids actually are teenagers- including the lead Leia being 15 like her character. 

can’t tell if it was written like a 90s comedy (full house) on purpose or is just bad. 

also assume that 22 minute episodes means it was meant for network tv and they all passed. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Watched the 3rd episode last night and decided I'm out. The original cast being included in the first episodes but only sporadically tells me they're going to feature one or two of them each episode but let the kids (the worst part) carry the show. No thanks. Watching Fez interact with Mr & Mrs Foreman was never where his humor was, outside of a funny eye roll or comment by Red. Watching a full episode of him try to be zany while the Foreman grandparents are still themselves was ... off. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I also just looks and the kids actually are teenagers- including the lead Leia being 15 like her character. 

This is why I'm out. The original cast obviously weren't teens, and the sexual innuendo/humor was much more smartly written and fun. Watching actual 15 year olds make pitching tent jokes and describing Mrs. Foreman's vag as warm and inviting is just too cringe and uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

This is why I'm out. The original cast obviously weren't teens, and the sexual innuendo/humor was much more smartly written and fun. Watching actual 15 year olds make pitching tent jokes and describing Mrs. Foreman's vag as warm and inviting is just too cringe and uncomfortable.

Wuss.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Mila Kunis was 14 when she was cast.

• Drool 2

10 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Mila Kunis was 14 when she was cast.

Yes, I know that she was the exception (and looked it). But I don't remember her making blatant dick jokes and euphemisms. And if she did, I was 13 at the time, so I'm sure it didn't weird me out as much.

Edited by aggie08

Just now, aggie08 said:

Yes, I know that she was the exception (and looked it). But I don't remember her making blatant dick jokes and euphemisms. And is she did, I was 13 at the time, so I'm sure it didn't weird me out as much.

There’s the actual difference. (Laura Prepon and Wilmer Valderrama were both teenagers too.)

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Unless I blacked out, none of the teens on this show sexualize Kitty 

Not directly. One of the teens was complimenting her on her basement, and it went into pretty obvious, cringey "the words I'm using could also describe a vagina har har har" territory.

2 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

I watched ep1 yesterday and thought it was very uninteresting but was planning to at least try ep2 today. That didn't happen, I'm done with this show after 1 episode. It's not for me.

It's ... not good. Like you I've only seen E1, but the previews didn't look too awe-inspiring. Sad. I was really looking forward to it. 

It comes across like some HS drama class kids of today putting on their own version of That 90s Show, based on what they think the 90s were like rather than from the perspective of someone who was actually there. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1