Let’s talk about how fucked up Tennessee is

Pancho

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This is a couple of weeks old but the article is great:

TLDR:  The FBI and Department of Justice are currently investigating a 2019 bribery scandal where the then-Speaker of the house in was accused of trying to bribe elected officials in exchange for their vote on a voucher bill

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/revealed-key-vote-on-tennessee-school-voucher-bill-subpoenaed-by-federal-grand-jury-sources-confirm

Corrupt Republican House Speaker you say? Bribery scandal you say? Did you hear about Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder’s $60 Million bribery scandal? (It doesn’t belong in this thread so I won’t go into it but I figure the chances of Gov. Mike DeWine being clean are around zero.)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-house-speaker-larry-householder-convicted-bribery/

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

All this shit in Tennessee is bullshit but not surprising. Every time I drive from Texas to DC or NY, Tennessee and southern Virginia is the most hill-people NASCAR-jacketed part of the trip. Great landscapes but full of rustics. 

Don’t be an elderly couple with a buckeye leaf sticker on your car while driving through Tennessee.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/elderly-couple-pulled-over-buckeye-car-decal-mistaken-191317336--ncaaf.html

On 4/7/2023 at 11:17 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's a nice thought, but if any one of the three run for a statewide election, they lose. TN went 60/40 for Trump in 2020. It's a ruby red state (although the TN statehouse and congressional maps make it look even redder than it is). But a statewide election? Any one of them will be beaten handily.

i know the tweet was about senator marsha, but i think we need to get these dudes in congress.  at quick glance, it looks like 8/9 of tenn reps are gop (memphis).  i know the maps are gerrymandered all to hell, but it doesn't take much to steal a house seat or two.  dude won the tennessee 5th (nashville, sorta) by 30,000 votes.

if trump is the nominee, which he will be, the turnout will be high again, and the youth vote will be high again.  the house could and should be a bloodbath for the r's.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Alright, done. 

Fair enough, but it’s a cautionary tale that should warn of a potential threat to more than just those displaying buckeye leaf stickers on their cars. It’s just one example. A “ferinstance,” if you will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This angers me. I grew up dirt fucking poor and without welfare I would have starved as a kid. It's simple economics -- food is cheap and the returns are high.  I think these same motherfuckers would have wanted me to suffer from malnutrition. I'm 47 now and have paid god knows how much in taxes. It's been a pretty good ROI just from that standpoint.

It’s only called “ROI” when a rich person gets richer. When a poor person benefits in even the slighted way, it’s called “communism.” Surely you’ve seen that memo.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Don’t be an elderly couple with a buckeye leaf sticker on your car while driving through Tennessee.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/elderly-couple-pulled-over-buckeye-car-decal-mistaken-191317336--ncaaf.html

I believe that Buckeye hating cops make up that marijuana leaf shit every time they see a buckeye sticker on a car. 

The couple should be lucky the cop didn’t separate them and ask if buckeyes were green or black.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So great job, Tennessee GOP--you expelled two guys over a holiday weekend, and in the meantime you just generated hundreds of thousands of dollars (at least) for the Tennessee Democratic Party.  And you demonstrated yourselves to be feckless racists with no loyalty to democratic institutions or norms, only a lust for power outdone only by a desire to ensure that the darkies know their place.

Just a bang-up job all the way around.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

Holy shit

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/10/us/tennessee-democrat-house-representatives-expelled-monday/index.html

After the city council decision late in the afternoon, Jones joined demonstrators in a march to the state Capitol.

The crowd gathered at the meeting erupted into cheers after the vote. Those marching with Jones chanted, “Whose house? Our House.”

Speaking from the steps of the Capitol after walking the four blocks from City Hall, Jones told the crowd: “Today we are sending a resounding message that democracy will not be killed in the comfort of silence. Today we send a clear message to Speaker Cameron Sexton that the people will not allow his crimes against democracy to happen without challenge.”

The 36-0 vote to return Jones to his seat followed a vote to suspend a procedural rule that prevents an individual from being nominated and appointed to the seat in the same meeting.

Sexton indicated he would not stand in the way of the appointments if the local governing bodies choose to send Jones and Pearson back to the chamber.

“The two governing bodies will make the decision as to who they want to appoint to these seats,” a spokesperson for the speaker’s office told CNN Monday. “Those two individuals will be seated as representatives as the constitution requires.”

Pearson’s vacant District 86 seat will be addressed during a special meeting of the Shelby County Board of Commissioners in Memphis on Wednesday afternoon, Commission Chairman Mickell Lowery said.

“I believe the expulsion of State Representative Justin Pearson was conducted in a hasty manner without consideration of other corrective action methods,” Lowery said in a statement.

Pearson, speaking at an Easter Sunday service at The Church of the River in Memphis, thanked the congregation and community for their support.

“The Republican-led supermajority of the Tennessee General Assembly sought to have a political lynching of three of its members because we spoke out of turn against the status quo of the government, after the tragic deaths of six people in the shooting at The Covenant School in Nashville,” he said.

Attorneys for the ousted representatives – among them former US Attorney General Eric Holder – called their removals “unconstitutional” in a letter Monday to Sexton, saying, “Their partisan expulsion was extraordinary, illegal and without any historical or legal precedent.”

The letter from Holder and attorney Scott J. Crosby – who are representing Jones and Pearson, respectively – urged the House to not “compound its errors by taking any further retributive actions.” 

“The world is watching Tennessee,” the letter said. “Any partisan retributive action, such as the discriminatory treatment of elected officials, or threats or actions to withhold funding for government programs, would constitute further unconstitutional action that would require redress.”

According to the Tennessee Constitution, since the next general election is more than 12 months away, in November 2024, a special election will be held to fill the seats. Tennessee law allows for the appointment of interim House members to fill the seats of expelled lawmakers until the special election is held.

No date has been set for a special election but state law provides a time frame for when the governor should schedule them. A “writ of election” for “primary elections for nominations by statewide political parties to fill the vacancy” must be scheduled within 55 to 60 days, state code says. And a general election to fill the vacancy must be scheduled within 100 to 107 days.

I can't tell how many Republicans in the legislature realized they are fucking around and finding out, but I'm willing to guess that there is a decent chance that they make another run at kicking them out.

• Hook 'Em 1

And this is the cherry on top - Republicans will have to find another way to kick them out again:

And while the state Constitution says members can be expelled for disorderly behavior with a two-thirds majority vote, they cannot be expelled “a second time for the same offense.”

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Portal activity is everywhere 

Yeah, Josh Heupel is probably wondering where the portal for head football coaches is about now. 

And now, a word from the TN House Republicans.  It appears to contain 0% truth about anything:

Monty Fritts is a TN House Republican.  He seems Texags level stupid:

image.thumb.png.5ef2760bcaaff100c02b5e9b6cc4daef.png

Edited by Bullneck

Lol yeah it’s exactly the same as J6. Except the people were let into the viewing gallery and remained there the whole time.  And the representatives allowed to be on the floor were on the floor. 

or is there video left out of people breaking windows, attacking cops, walking the floor and hallways, going into rep offices, stealing stuff from the house floor and offices, and assembling a rickety gallows outside?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Massive Horn said:

please-james-brown.gif

You have to be the Hardest Working Man in Show Business if you have two drummers, a brass section, two hype men, and at least three dancing girls at every concert.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1