Let’s talk about how fucked up Tennessee is

Pancho

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I cannot fathom that a majority of the Tennessee House is going to vote to expel those Members.  But if they do, then there's a real crisis of electoral legitimacy that faces the Legislature.

There is virtually no chance that they don’t go through with it unless it comes down from above to stop it for bigger picture reasons. Sexton has already let it go too far (and compounded it with his insurrection comments) and if it hits a floor vote then it will follow party lines. This isn’t the first round of issues with this group, so the olds feel justified. They will pick up another R from the Knox Co appointment, Memphis and Nashville may just reappoint the expelled members.

Fucked up world we live in, especially in the south.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2023 at 6:32 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, yeah. Republicans don’t care about sexual assault. That’s not a deal breaker for the GOP. 

I’m honestly surprised incredulity would neg this. It’s not like he can possibly disagree with its accuracy.

If ever there was a walking example of grace under fire, it’s this man.  I thought I’d cry given the subject matter.  Instead I swell up with pride, I want to follow him to better days.  Let’s launch his congressional race.  It’s on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HenryJames said:

lol Vicksburg. Confederates posting their Ls.

Vicksburg:  The city that did not celebrate the 4th of July for 80 years following the surrender of the city on July 4, 1863.   I shit you not:

https://www.visitvicksburg.com/blog/celebrating-independence-day/

For 81 years after the July 4, 1863, surrender of Vicksburg the city did not celebrate Independence Day.  The surrender of Vicksburg by Confederate General John C. Pemberton to Union General Ulysses S. Grant was not a cause for celebration for the fallen city.  The 47-day siege of the city had left the citizens exhausted and humiliated.  During the siege, the city was bombarded every day.  By the end, the starving population of the city had been reduced to eating mules, dogs, cats and even rats.  The horrors of the siege are documented in the diaries kept by citizens of the city such as Mary Loughborough whose diary was later published as My Cave Life in Vicksburg.  In her diary, she wrote:  

“A young girl, becoming weary in the confinement of the cave, hastily ran to the house in the interval that elapsed between the slowly falling shells.  On returning, an explosion sounded near her – one wild scream, and she ran into her mother’s presence, sinking like a wounded dove, the life blood flowing over the light summer dress in crimson ripples from a death-wound in her side, caused by the shell fragment.”

It was not until after World War II in 1945 that Vicksburg joined the rest of the nation in the celebration of Independence Day.  The patriotic fervor after the war and a visit by General Dwight D. Eisenhower set the stage for a return to celebrating the birth of our nation.

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Nashville home prices are approaching Austin levels and the entire state is much higher than neighboring states. 

For politics, I can't support the 3 yahoos that are fixin to be voted out.  Stop shouting, do something substantive.  Neither will work of course but being a street hoodlum is bad optics. 

Wow. That's a pretty fucking racist thing to say. Street hoodlums?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Nashville home prices are approaching Austin levels and the entire state is much higher than neighboring states. 

For politics, I can't support the 3 yahoos that are fixin to be voted out.  Stop shouting, do something substantive.  Neither will work of course but being a street hoodlum is bad optics. 

The fuck? You think that representive is projecting the optics of being a hoodlum? In what manner is he presenting himself that way? Be specific.

11 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Well There It Is Smile GIF - Well There It Is Smile Jurassic Park -  Discover & Share GIFs

I don't know what the end goal of Tennessee Republicans is here, but it's clear that they are creating a Democratic Star.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I think you might have missed the point where they can’t do something substantive because of the gerrymandered districts in this state.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Texags is that way buddy. -------------------------------------------->

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The fuck? You think that representive is projecting the optics of being a hoodlum? In what manner is he presenting himself that way? Be specific.

Being black of course, what else could he be saying other than making an overtly (maybe not so overtly) racist comment.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Fuck off with your overt racism

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Well, he quoted the prophet, Jeremiah and MLK, and everybody knows they were hoodlums.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I watched a lot of this. All I can say is holy shit.

If you ever thought all those worried about democracy dying or that the concern about Republicans bending the rules to their favor was hyperbole or overblown, just stop. It's there, it's out in the open, and they are proud of it. 

There were very good points brought up about a video shown of the demonstration at the podium. They used this video filmed by a Republican as "evidence," except that it's also against House rules to film during the session. So the Republican lawmaker who filmed it was also breaking the rules. That was brought up, and immediately shut down.

People were still speaking on the resolution when a Republican asked to call the vote. It passed on party line, ending any debate or discussion. 

Essentially because they have the two-thirds majority, they can do whatever they want and there is no stopping it. And they have no qualms or shame -- hell they are proud -- of what they are doing.

The only good thing is that I think they might have just elected Jones to Congress.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 4

6 peop!e dead, 3 were 9yos and 3 Dems were brave enough to stand with pissed off students and those 3 Dems(1 already) are likely to be expelled from State House.  Good.  Fucking.  Job.  Tennessee.  As if the optics of that State isn't bad enough and following the bullshit spewed from Rep Burchett recently. GFL , we have lost our ever loving fucking mind. 

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

one of the 3 is a middle aged white woman.  

You still haven't explained how any of them is acting like "street hoodlum."

Let's parse your statements.

1) Nashville home prices are approaching Austin levels and the entire state is much higher than neighboring states. 

2) For politics, I can't support the 3) yahoos that are fixin to be voted out.  4) Stop shouting, do something substantive.  5) Neither will work of course but 6) being a street hoodlum is bad optics. 

1) What the fuck does the price of a home in Nashville have to do with expelling duly elected representatives?

2) For politics, you can't support them. What does that mean? You don't like their politics? You disagree on their stances regarding gun control?

3) How are they acting like yahoos? Merriam Webster's definition: a boorish, crass, or stupid person

4) WTF do you expect them to do when their legislature is so gerrymandered that it's laughable to call it a democratically representative body? When faced with that situation, it makes all the sense in the world to protest and raise awareness.

5) Ah, so you admit that "do(ing) something sustantative will not work.

6) You still haven't answered in what manner any of them were "being a street hoodlum," a reference that can only be interpreted without other context as being related to race, especially considering that you made it in the singular after the tweets where one Black representative had been speaking.

Are you fucking day drinking? Explain yourself or just know that you'll be recognized as being a stupid, racist troll from this point on.

Also one last question: What was your handle before you came up with this one? 

• Hook 'Em 7

Tennessee GQP: the only thing they have the courage to do is cover their own ass, and literally expel dissenting voices.

The GQP: the biggest bunch of cowardly snowflakes to ever cowardly snowflake.

The Tennessee Legislature is an illegitimate body.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This guy needs a bigger stage than the Tennessee fucking legislature.

Sadly, their US congressional districts are so gerrymandered that only 1 of 9 is held by a Democrat from Memphis.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Gerrymandering is killing this nation. Literally and figuratively. Holy shit we have to end it.

Tennessee went 60/40 for Trump. It's about 75% Republican in the TN House. 

And 89% GQP in the US House.

48 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Which optics are worse?

Doubling down on terrible policies after those policies led to the death of multiple children?  Or chanting with protesters?

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Sadly, their US congressional districts are so gerrymandered that only 1 of 9 is held by a Democrat from Memphis.

That's not what I had in mind.

Biden ought to make him his running mate in 2024.  It gets rid of the dead weight that is Kamala Harris, but nobody could be too pissed about losing a Black woman from the ticket if you're replacing her with this guy.

And putting him on the ticket draws attention to two big issues that are key to the Democrats' chances in 2024: 1) the GQP efforts to erode our democracy, and 2) gun violence that is made possible by the GQP's refusal to do anything other than make more guns available to more people.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

tor-fucking-bush

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Biden ought to make him his running mate in 2024.  It gets rid of the dead weight that is Kamala Harris, but nobody could be too pissed about losing a Black woman from the ticket if you're replacing her with this guy.

And putting him on the ticket draws attention to two big issues that are key to the Democrats' chances in 2024: 1) the GQP efforts to erode our democracy, and 2) gun violence that is made possible by the GQP's refusal to do anything other than make more guns available to more people.

Fuck it, I'm in

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I watched a lot of this. All I can say is holy shit.

If you ever thought all those worried about democracy dying or that the concern about Republicans bending the rules to their favor was hyperbole or overblown, just stop. It's there, it's out in the open, and they are proud of it.

Republicans know that time is not on their side, and arguably the recent Dem victories in Wisconsin may have shut down the chances of a Republican President for the next few elections, so they are going to grab or maintain what power they can at the local and state levels, any way they can do it.  I'm expecting similar movies in Texas, and hell, we are seeing it with Republicans trying to make it harder on certain groups/areas to vote.

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Lol. No.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is a good one response he had too and even called out the guy for being a coward which is awesome (The Gino Bulso, bottom video). But why does he talk like that in that up-and-down pitch? That seems like it would not be helpful in being Biden's VP as GOLL suggested:

• Fuck You 4