[Game Thread] Texas vs. ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

I've been grinding my teeth about the OL since 2009 and a lack of fundamental tackling since 2010 or so. The only exception to that has been the brief turnaround the Gerg brought about. I just don't understand what is complicated about fundamental tackling. Seriously. Is it that it isn't coached, not coached correctly, or is it not stressed enough? I learned form tackling in the 6th grade in one practice from an east Texas coach and it stuck with me. I am really curious how they coach it in practice.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

Even the announcers picked up on it...teammates clearly favor Caleb 

Yeah if the ESPN crew picks up on something it’s fairly obvious.  LR is a good coach.  Amazing coordinator.  Anyways, if he sticks w Williams maybe that guy can overcome his pussy game mgt.  

2 minutes ago, TOR said:

That was an incredible catch by (forget his name, probably from texas]. and it sealed it  

OTOH play at least 3 drives of defense and things are very different.

HOOKEM

That football.  Mario for OU in by 1cm.  UT guy on sideline was out by 2cm.  Throw in the refs for good measure.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

There was a gradual deterioration of the defense throughout the game that started once ou figured out how to shut down the offense. The defense did well by limiting ou to field goals but by the end they were toast. The offensive line will keep causing systemic failures until they are replaced.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

I've been grinding my teeth about the OL since 2009 and a lack of fundamental tackling since 2010 or so. The only exception to that has been the brief turnaround the Gerg brought about. I just don't understand what is complicated about fundamental tackling. Seriously. Is it that it isn't coached, not coached correctly, or is it not stressed enough? I learned form tackling in the 6th grade in one practice from an east Texas coach and it stuck with me. I am really curious how they coach it in practice.

I just look at the roster on the OL and LB and it's the glaring weakness of this team by far. Aside from a converted DB (Overshown) who can get to the spot and make a play our LBs are slow and always a step behind. At this point could the young OL backups be any worse than the starters? Good God. Perhaps it's time to look outside of the state of Texas for some OL pieces and utilize the portal because this cannot continue. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Jett Bush is the culmination of Mack’s lazy end of tenure coaching that just kept compounding until he’s what was left to Sark 3 coaches later 

It’s like compounding but negatively… we have such a hole to dig out Of to have depth at every position and unfortunately we are lacking at 1st team in areas already 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

This game was a difference of 2 plays.  There is no way the OU WR made that catch when he went put of bounds on his own. The reds blew that call.  Worthy bringing the kickoff from 8 yards deep was stupid and cost us another 7.  We lost and it sucks but there is no way recruits watched that game and didn't see an opportunity.  

Don't forget the 3rd and 19 where the OU receiver made a phenomenal play to get his foot inbounds and our player couldn't find the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Deej said:

There was no excuse for that meltdown on the field. 

Sark switched to thompson like a solid self aware coach would. If Thompson can’t get comfortable in the pocket and makes a fair amount of piss poor throws that were schemed wide ass open what exactly should sark do? Outside zone you say? Nope it’s covered up. Inside zone, we can’t block it. Screens? Tried it and our o-line sucks so bad there’s almost no time to set it up correctly. PK was facing the greatest offensive mind in college football and eventually the dam was going to break. We have no depth and our skill players are atrocious percentage wise. It’s going to be a long road back to being a complete team sir. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
I put the wrong QB name lol
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Sark not adjusting to the keying on the run for 3 drives cost the game. Yes the defense sucked but the play calling in the 3rd qtr was worse

I was baffled on a few run attempts up the middle ... but the OL was often giving open lanes to Casey in pass attempts. Casey was often overthrowing his receivers when he did have time. So Sark couldn't just dial pass plays only. When the OL is disfunctional, it really neuters the offense, but there has to be some balance. It took Grinch a little while to adjust, but once he did, the OL was unable to respond. I place the lion's share of the fault on the OL, but the D obviously shares a hefty share of their own. I haven't looked at time of possession stats, but the O surely wasn't giving the D much rest in the 2nd half. I don't lay the fault on Sark's play calling. I lay it on player execution. To what extent that is a coaching issue (Flood, Coach K and Choate) I am unsure. Of course, the OL did have a shakeup and maybe one week just wasn't enough for swapping positions and personnel to give solid play. But it's been an issue all season so ...

6 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

I just look at the roster on the OL and LB and it's the glaring weakness of this team by far. Aside from a converted DB (Overshown) who can get to the spot and make a play our LBs are slow and always a step behind. At this point could the young OL backups be any worse than the starters? Good God. Perhaps it's time to look outside of the state of Texas for some OL pieces and utilize the portal because this cannot continue. 

Look in the fucking portal while we're at it. Wtf was Flood and Sark think??? No fucking way they looked at Christian fucking Jones and thought "Nah, we good."

35 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Sark needs to work on his dejected look for this press conference

Agree.

LHN Graphic:

Sarkisian is 1-7 as a head coach against top ten teams on a neutral field or visiting team.

Edited by torre
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Fuckin Fowler says our loud that every team oklahoma plays complains about holding…then says they have only been called for it once today. Fuck these refs and fuck how obvious that statement is. 

I posted this right after Fowler said it. Quoting this for reference because I saw some people brought it up again. It fuckin pisses me off that they have basically made their holding a “part of college football lore.” What in the actual fuck. Piss on college football for that. I hope in the sec they rack up 12 holds a game for the first year and that bullshit gets set straight. Who the fuck am I kidding tho. 

19 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Screen pass? We have that in the play book? 2 or 3 of those would've been nice

we ran the play twice that I remember maybe 3 times. we didn't hold the blocks long enough for it to ever develop, casey was under immediate pressure

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

I hear what you're saying about the LB's but there were bunches and bunches of missed tackles. Players were right there in position and unable to wrap up and stop or even slow ball carriers down.  Multiple plays that should have gone for a loss, didn't. Multiple plays that went 10+ yards that should have been stopped at 2 or 3 yards just kepting going for big gains.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Sark's clock management at the end of halves will cost us more games. 

His decision making has been pretty fucking terrible at key times

Yeah.  He should have tried for the TD at the end of the half.  He should have let the clock run out on 2nd and 13 at the end of the 3rd.

Just now, sith_horn said:

I hear what you're saying about the LB's but there were bunches and bunches of missed tackles. Players were right there in position and unable to wrap up and stop or even slow ball carriers down.  Multiple plays that should have gone for a loss, didn't. Multiple plays that went 10+ yards that should have been stopped at 2 or 3 yards just kepting going for big gains.

Oh yeah, the tackling was fucking disgusting. That on top of the personnel issues just exacerbates the situation. 

When the second half started, and we exchanged field goals I thought the win was in the bag.

Texas was up 18 points with less than three minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Then the worst collapse I've ever seen transpired.  Texas defense proceeded to get gashed for 31 points in the final 17 minutes or so.

Not that the offense was impressive, but they did manage to score another TD.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but 48 points should be enough to win.  Sure, there are legitimate criticisms regarding play calling, and special teams.

However, the defense gave up almost 700 yards of offense, and over 50 points.  They gave up big play after big play.  The defensive coaches and players cost Texas this game.

• Hook 'Em 7

Everybody is slobbering over Manning in recruiting but we haven’t had a defense worth a fuck in over 10 years. Better start finding guys that can tackle. Same shit different year. 48 points should win games I don’t care who you play. I told someone at half time 52 may win it. I was wrong. But fuck it. Win out. Go 10-2. Everyone would take that in Sark’s first year. Getting shit pushed in in one loss and then shitting the bed in another is just hard to watch. Win out, win the rematch, profit. I’m drinking cold beer now.  Peace out. 🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

we ran the play twice that I remember maybe 3 times. we didn't hold the blocks long enough for it to ever develop, casey was under immediate pressure

The one where Casey hurt his thumb would have gone for 6 if the right tackle could have even gotten a finger on the rusher

1 minute ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

It sucks…..it sucks to lose that way.  It really sucks!

….but as I sit here drinking a beer outside fair park….it was an unbelievable game, unbelievable atmosphere.  A couple things break our way, it’s a win.  I’m content.  

Texas loses no momentum by this game.  It was fun…it was exhilarating and we have a very bright future with Sark.

I wouldn’t say I’m content, but I get what you’re saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

….but as I sit here drinking a beer outside fair park….it was an unbelievable game, unbelievable atmosphere.  A couple things break our way, it’s a win.  I’m content.  

Texas loses no momentum by this game.  It was fun…it was exhilarating and we have a very bright future with Sark.

I'm not content, but yeah, it was fun.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Everybody is slobbering over Manning in recruiting but we haven’t had a defense worth a fuck in over 10 years. Better start finding guys that can tackle. Same shit different year. 48 points should win games I don’t care who you play. I told someone at half time 52 may win it. I was wrong. But fuck it. Win out. Go 10-2. Everyone would take that in Sark’s first year. Getting shit pushed in in one loss and then shitting the bed in another is just hard to watch. Win out, win the rematch, profit. I’m drinking cold beer now.  Peace out. 🤘🏻

If we go 10-2 this staff gets an A+.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

I’m not content. You just blew the biggest lead in this games history. We can try and excuse it away with excuses and we have some good ones. But it’s a bad loss. We didn’t lose in a back and forth game we lost choking away a huge lead.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

@Captainant and his fucking stupid wife. A man who has his woman in order would never let that happen. Have the bitch pop the top of a cold Coors light and save the bubbly for after the game. 

53 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Fuck you and your wife. Beta male who can’t control his fucking wife from jinxing us. Tell that bitch to save the bubbly until the game is over. Blame the defense but don’t forget to blame Captain and Mrs. Ant

Gosh say anymore nice things about me and I may blush! I would've thought you'd be more excited about reporting Sark to Abbott to claim your $10k bounty for this abortion of a game.

Hope your wife's black eye is doing ok, bro.