This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Reread what I said. We fired him when we did so we could grab Herm before anyone else did. It was a bad plan. We could've waited until the season was over and got someone better. Strong was the new shiny object. Then Herman was the new shiny object. Then Sark was the new shiny object. See where this is going? 

Strong and Sark weren't shiny objects. They were poorly selected consolation prizes after whiffing on our prime targets. Panic hires. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We can fire them and suddenly have portal problems and recruiting problems, or we let them continue to lose and have the exact same problems. It’s not firing bad coaches that’s an issue. It’s hiring bad coaches.

I mean you are not wrong. I agree that when the time comes to fire these guys to do it quickly and decisively. 

It just sucks man. Every time we have to do it, it seems to set us further behind.

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Reread what I said. We fired him when we did so we could grab Herm before anyone else did. It was a bad plan. We could've waited until the season was over and got someone better. Strong was the new shiny object. Then Herman was the new shiny object. Then Sark was the new shiny object. See where this is going? 

We fired Strong before our season was over?

Edited by lilMAC25

I also think the best pure football head coaches are rough around the edges and true alphas with egos. The administration wants a good “representative of the university” more than a pure good football HC. We are not aligned at the admin and athletic levels. Most SEC schools are. I think that’s part of the problem.

Sark can probably help himself with hiring an OC/playcaller who works well with him and to revamp the D staff. He’s incapable of being the playcaller and HC. But again, we’ve seen this before and know what comes next.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Blotto said:

Strong and Sark weren't shiny objects. They were poorly selected consolation prizes after whiffing on our prime targets. Panic hires. 

Yup. To act like either of those guys was first choice, in some stupid white knighting effort for Sark, is simply untrue. We didn’t fire Herman to chase Sark. We didn’t fire Mack to chase Strong. We didn’t fire Strong to chase Herman. 
We fired all those guys because they didn’t get it done anymore or never could.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I mean you are not wrong. I agree that when the time comes to fire these guys to do it quickly and decisively. 

It just sucks man. Every time we have to do it, it seems to set us further behind.

It does. But it only does because we keep getting it wrong. It didn’t set us back to hire Mack because he was capable. We suck at finding guys who are capable because we let the wrong people make decisions 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

OSU is not a bad team. Neither is Tech. That's not the point though. The point is we go on the road and wilt. We get these big leads and choke. We have a chance to have a successful season and come up small.

The team knows this. That's why they are getting in fights and being too sad to sing The Eyes of Texas.

It’s quite simple. The teams we play against have players that make plays. We have exactly 2 consistent playmakers in Bijan and RoJo. The rest are all choke artists. Worthy has been in that club all season and JT and Ewers both joined the group yesterday.

Weak minded pussies that quit, that’s the kind of players we end up with year after year. It’s fucking sickening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

3 unexpected losses? That’s what you’re going with? 
How about this, we fire people who can’t do the job, as evidenced by only winning one road game, losing 6 double digit second half leads, and still having the same DC. Then after that we do a better job hiring. The idea that we fired our previous guys to chase shiny objects is dumb. We fired them because they sucked. We did a bad job hiring the next guy. Again, those two things aren’t tied to each other. It is possible believe it not to fire a bad coach and hire a good one. Hell we did it at this University in 1998

So you're willing to implode this transitional recruiting class for whom? Who are you going to get?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So you're willing to implode this transitional recruiting class for whom? Who are you going to get?

Someone who doesn’t blow 6 double digits second half leads and can win on the road.

I bet there’s no coach in the country we could find to improve on that performance 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Haha 1

Yup. To act like either of those guys was first choice, in some stupid white knighting effort for Sark, is simply untrue. We didn’t fire Herman to chase Sark. We didn’t fire Mack to chase Strong. We didn’t fire Strong to chase Herman. 
We fired all those guys because they didn’t get it done anymore or never could.

People were calling for Herman after Charlie’s 2nd year. Especially the Houston crowd and BMDs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We fired Strong when we did to hire the new hot name. Then we fired a coach who was somewhat successful to hire this guy. What about this do you not understand? Lol. We are shiny object guy. 

I disagree. Strong had to go the second the Kansas game ended.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Blotto said:

That's speculation. Strong was Tom Herman before Tom Herman was Tom Herman. Sark just "Jesus on the third day'd" his career through Saban and the NFL. We had no clear plan dating back to Mack, just angry people demanding better performances. Here we are again.....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Someone who doesn’t blow 6 double digits second half leads and can win on the road.

I bet there’s no coach in the country we could find to improve on that performance 

I have to say at this point I am starting to doubt that, we just seem doomed. Heh.

But I am sure it will turn around someday. I just hope I am alive to see it. Maybe we just need to hire another Sooner, that worked with Mack and DKR. Any Sooners available?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Sark was never the shiny new object. He was hired out of left field after we missed on Urban.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Look, he's coming up on 50 and has coached 10 seasons, and has never lost less than four games or challenged for a conference championship. At Texas, USC, and Washington. He's the offensive version of Muschamp: Smart guy, seems to "get it", everyone likes him, good recruiter, etc. But just for some reason is not a good head coach.

Sucks. But mentally I'm at a point right now where I'm hoping for a stacked roster for the next guy.

• Hook 'Em 6

27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hold up. Is there any evidence that Steve Sarkisian was a panic hire?

21 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That's speculation. Strong was Tom Herman before Tom Herman was Tom Herman. Sark just "Jesus on the third day'd" his career through Saban and the NFL. We had no clear plan dating back to Mack, just angry people demanding better performances. Here we are again.....

You guys think the master plan was to hire a guy with a 46-35 career record that had been fired from his previous HC gig for boozing? Did we kick the tires with Urban, only to decide Sark was the safer bet? We all know that's who we ended up with, but goddamn I hope that wasn't the plan the entire time. 

Edited by Blotto
Math is hard... Just like winning
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, naija said:

Whoever the next coach is, please no stupid catchphrases. No "All Gas, No Brakes," type shit. No boasting to the press about "Revenge Tours" based off one win.

That shit doesn't matter man. Even if the coach didn't have a catchphrase the UT marketting people would invent one to piss you off with.

• Haha 2

The loss is on Sark because he is the HEAD coach, not the OC, but make no mistake this was a total team effort to lose.  Folks keep talking about why Sark didn't insert Card like Dabo did with his backup yesterday, and it's a completely valid point.  That said the other thing to remember about that game.  Clemson's defense didn't give up a single point after late in the 2nd quarter.  So in short fuck everything.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not sure what point he’s trying to make or what point he thinks he’s making. It’s very confusing 

Sark was a shiny new object, so he can't be fired. Same with Charlie and Herman. But all that really matters is recruiting. Just ask Jimbo.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TXpride said:

Sark was a shiny new object, so he can't be fired. Same with Charlie and Herman. But all that really matters is recruiting. Just ask Jimbo.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you miss when both of those dudes were fired? Sark is not untouchable, if he doesn't win he will be gone. Just like every other coach in football.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I have to say at this point I am starting to doubt that, we just seem doomed. Heh.

But I am sure it will turn around someday. I just hope I am alive to see it. Maybe we just need to hire another Sooner, that worked with Mack and DKR. Any Sooners available?

Mike Stoops...

/ducks

Well this is bleak. Sark kinda seems like he sucks. ISU really was a fluke i guess. If they win 9 games he can stay for sure, if it's 8 there will be serious conversations and i assume assistant coaching changes. Just sucks but what can you do.

I’d take 8. My preseason prediction was 7-5.

After sleeping on it, I think the defense played about as good as they could in the second half given the circumstances. Cook and Watts out, redshirt freshman walk on starting at safety, freshman nickel, Barron having to play corner, only 1.5 reliable LB’s, and of course the non existent edge. That’s a tough hill to climb on defense with absolutely no depth. They got inconsistent there at the end but imo the second half falls squarely on Sark and the offense. It’s crazy to think that Sark has done a better job in the second half this year, and when our depleted defense gives us a chance to separate in a crucial game, he and the offense folded. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

OSU is not a bad team. Neither is Tech. That's not the point though. The point is we go on the road and wilt. We get these big leads and choke. We have a chance to have a successful season and come up small.

The team knows this. That's why they are getting in fights and being too sad to sing The Eyes of Texas.

Wish it would drive them to toughen tf up and work harder. You'd think the entire college football world pointing and laughing at your failures for 12 years would breed some angry focus. Nope, keep laughing at us please. I'll take another. 

19 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

if it's 8 there will be serious conversations 

No there won't. The only thing that is going to put noticeable heat on Sark this season is if the wheels 100% fall off and they finish 5-7 or 6-6. Texas is absolutely not going to eat the price tag of replacing Sark and staff less than halfway into his contract with the financial uncertainty of the SEC move and the probability of Arch Manning decommitting hanging over that move.

Unless Texas has just an absolutely horrid finish to this season, then hovers around .500 again next season with an accompanying nose dive in recruiting, Sark is going to be here through 2024, at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's understandable that we do not have a championship roster. But we do have a roster that can compete for a championship and with a little luck win one. They have shown that on the field. When you add in competent coaching you win games like yesterday. 

When your playmakers are not making plays, it's the coaches job to figure it out. If that means coaching them up on the sideline or sitting a series so they can see the field that's what you have to do. If the player can't help you win, he shouldn't help you lose. Waiting until film session to fix the problems is lazy as fuck. Summarily, just saying the players didn't do their job is lazy as fuck, because it's the coaches job to hold them accountable. So if the players are not doing what they are supposed to do and there is no attempt at correction, who exactly is not doing their job?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Hindsight being what it is, we should have done a better job moving on from Mack Brown.

Quite possibly the biggest understatement ever on this site. In hindsight, maybe hiring Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney would have been the way to go. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4