This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

The difference between a win and a loss is actually immeasurable and infinite. So no, they are in fact entirely and extremely different. 

In the win and loss columns? Yes.

In the enjoyment factor? Definitely.

As far as declaring a coach’s development and management of a program as competent based on, say, whether a field goal goes wide or not? Not so much.

Maybe games like that sort themselves out over time, but everyone here has walked out of a win thinking “this team is fucked.” One doesn’t have to look far around here to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the “entirely and extremely different” wins against ISU and KSU.

I’d much rather see wins. That doesn’t mean a win indicates things are going well or that a loss means they aren’t. But, yes, wins are preferable.

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

God dammit now I’m telling Zeus lol.

I actually am fairly confident against Baylor. I think Sark realizes he needs to commit to the run game even if it struggles early. 
None of that changes my overall opinion on Sark but I’m not particularly worried about Baylor and wasn’t particularly worried about Kansas. 

Let's just get creative fuck he's supposed to be the creativity king we can't run it up the gut every run. Going to have to involve Kelian or Brooks for that change of pace and use BR as a fuckin diversion at times - since he's what every player on D is worried about..

46 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Herman has been much better sark or Charlie.   

I like the argument of “Tom had nfl qb talent”.  It’s not like those guys are killing it in the pros and Sam single-handedly lost us a few games as a freshman.  Also Taylor heinecke is an nfl qb.  Card, Quinn and Casey Thompson we’re all four stars or better

Plus Tom turtle doesn't even run an NFL offense that could utilize NFL talent. He runs a little league style QB do everything offense.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You used the results of playing Kansas as an indicator of how good the head coach is.

The scores of the two games in question  were 50-48 and 49-49 at the end of regulation. In both cases, the team performed in such a way that the outcome was basically a coin flip. One worked out, the other didn’t. This seems fairly self-evident. 

You and I get this because we are both apparently aspy or on the verge of aspy motherfuckers while cognitive normals let emotions generated by wins and losses cloud clear logic and reason. You are never going to win on this board or in life with this, but I see you and respect the effort. 

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Herman has been much better sark or Charlie.   

I like the argument of “Tom had nfl qb talent”.  It’s not like those guys are killing it in the pros and Sam single-handedly lost us a few games as a freshman.  Also Taylor heinecke is an nfl qb.  Card, Quinn and Casey Thompson we’re all four stars or better

The amount of games Sam won for Herman should not do be understated. 3rd and 3 or shorter, everyone knew what was coming because our entire offense was so predictable, and they still couldn’t stop Sam. Card or Thompson wouldn’t be able to do that for Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

In the win and loss columns? Yes.

In the enjoyment factor? Definitely.

As far as declaring a coach’s development and management of a program as competent based on, say, whether a field goal goes wide or not? Not so much.

Maybe games like that sort themselves out over time, but everyone here has walked out of a win thinking “this team is fucked.” One doesn’t have to look far around here to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the “entirely and extremely different” wins against ISU and KSU.

I’d much rather see wins. That doesn’t mean a win indicates things are going well or that a loss means they aren’t. But, yes, wins are preferable.

We are talking about Kansas, not ISU or KSU, and last year’s Kansas was particularly awful.

8 minutes ago, Levi said:

The amount of games Sam won for Herman should not do be understated. 3rd and 3 or shorter, everyone knew what was coming because our entire offense was so predictable, and they still couldn’t stop Sam. Card or Thompson wouldn’t be able to do that for Herman. 

I watched Casey Thompson thoroughly skull fuck Colorado after Sam struggled to dominate them. The ONLY personnel change was Thompson for Sam.  So while Sam had strengths that Card and Thompson didn’t have, it is likely and possible that they brought something else to the table that Sam didn’t.

regardless, Herman was rightfully fired.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We are talking about Kansas, not ISU or KSU, and last year’s Kansas was particularly awful.

He was talking about wins and losses in the abstract, it seems to me. All the more so given the way he talked about people forgetting that close wins were almost losses.

And, if not, beating Kansas in OT or a last second field goal, or whatever, doesn’t inspire any more confidence in the program even if a field goal goes in rather than going wide right. A win is preferable, but a win isn’t necessarily a get out of jail free card.

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

He was talking about wins and losses in the abstract, it seems to me. All the more so given the way he talked about people forgetting that close wins were almost losses.

And, if not, beating Kansas in OT or a last second field goal, or whatever, doesn’t inspire any more confidence in the program even if a field goal goes in rather than going wide right. A win is preferable, but a win isn’t necessarily a get out of jail free card.

Nor was it a get out of jail card.

However, a LOSS to such a team often is a “you’re fired” card, especially a loss later in the coaching tenure (see, Strong, Charlie).

Edited by lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I watched Casey Thompson thoroughly skull fuck Colorado after Sam struggled to dominate them. The ONLY personnel change was Thompson for Sam.  So while Sam had strengths that Card and Thompson didn’t have, it is likely and possible that they brought something else to the table that Sam didn’t.

regardless, Herman was rightfully fired.

You watched Sam on the sideline with bad shoulder in a sling for the second half, or did we watch a different game? He was already not fully healthy going into the game if I remember. And while Casey played a helluva game, that Colorado team was ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Nor was it a get out of jail card.

However, a LOSS to such a team often is a “you’re fired” card, especially a loss later in the coaching tenure (see, Strong, Charlie).

The amazing thing to me is that if Chuckles had beaten the team following the KU loss, TCU I think, there was a lot of buzz about him getting the fourth year. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Levi said:

You watched Sam on the sideline with bad shoulder in a sling for the second half, or did we watch a different game? He was already not fully healthy going into the game if I remember. And while Casey played a helluva game, that Colorado team was ass. 

I watched Sam struggle against the same ass Colorado that Casey lit up or did we actually watch different games?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I watched Sam struggle against the same ass Colorado that Casey lit up or did we actually watch different games?

I guess you didn’t read the first part of what I said. But I guess 10-16, 160yrds and 1 td with a bad shoulder is struggling. 

38 minutes ago, Levi said:

And the degree of leadership and winnerness from the guy that touches the ball every snap was invaluable when the rest of the team is actual or budding headcases.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Levi said:

I guess you didn’t read the first part of what I said. But I guess 10-16, 160yrds and 1 td with a bad shoulder is struggling. 

Texas put up 17 in the first half.

Texas put up 38 in the 2nd half

Sam struggling was a misrememberance on my part.

Texas offense not being nearly as productive with Sam in as it was with Casey in was exactly as I thought I remembered it.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The amazing thing to me is that if Chuckles had beaten the team following the KU loss, TCU I think, there was a lot of buzz about him getting the fourth year. 

dad and I went to that game and cheered hard for TCU. We suspected it was a done deal but we didn’t want anything to get that train off the tracks. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Sark teams are wildly inconsistent and sloppy on both sides of the ball, from game to game. That is either a sign of extreme player inexperience, or an inability by a coaching staff to really FOCUS and make sure the team has all its bases covered and is well-prepared. We see it over and over, just like at USC and Washington. For those who've already drawn the conclusion that Sark is the wrong guy, it seems to me that he just can't holistically manage the team in a focused way to make sure everyone knows their role and can execute it week to week. 

They out-talent opponents occasionally to offset the poor preparation and execution.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Sark teams are wildly inconsistent and sloppy on both sides of the ball, from game to game. That is either a sign of extreme player inexperience, or an inability by a coaching staff to really FOCUS and make sure the team has all its bases covered and is well-prepared. We see it over and over, just like at USC and Washington. For those who've already drawn the conclusion that Sark is the wrong guy, it seems to me that he just can't holistically manage the team in a focused way to make sure everyone knows their role and can execute it week to week. 

They out-talent opponents occasionally to offset the poor preparation and execution.

Yep. And now a false start on 4th and 2. His teams are sloppy and undisciplined and he’s bad at game management and adjustments. It’s how you consistently underperform compared to your talent level your whole career. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. And now a false start on 4th and 2. His teams are sloppy and undisciplined and he’s bad at game management and adjustments. It’s how you consistently underperform compared to your talent level your whole career. 

Yep. For the folks who expect more than 7-8 wins as a consistent benchmark for Sark, that's on you. He might be able to hit a 10-2 season with some luck, huge talent advantage, and a soft schedule in the mutant Big 14, but he is who he is.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

And some people will blame everything on the players who make the mistakes, but there are a lot of things coaching staffs do in practice, etc. to reduce the probability of those mistakes.

We've had numerous false starts, complete inability to recognize blitzes letting guys go free, missed wide open TD.  Fumbles.  Receivers running free.   All things we've seen this team execute without issue when they are locked it.

Yes, I put the blame on the fucking players for this game so far.  This is OSU all over again.  Absolute shit execution.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

We've had numerous false starts, complete inability to recognize blitzes letting guys go free, missed wide open TD.  Fumbles.  Receivers running free.   All things we've seen this team execute without issue when they are locked it.

Yes, I put the blame on the fucking players for this game so far.  This is OSU all over again.  Absolute shit execution.

Don't be ridiculous.

It's the officials. Game thread out front should have told you.

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

pssst: it’s the coach

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Don't be ridiculous.

It's the officials. Game thread out front should have told you.

The refs are a joke but that's every fucking game. That's not going to change until we leave this shit conference.  At some point the Offensive players have to decide if they want to be in this game or just head to break.  

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I hear you, but I assume you played football growing up. Our coaches had specific things they would reach us for snap counts to avoid false starts, ball control for avoiding fumbles, memorization aids for remembering plays, hand and foot techniques to avoid holding, etc.

You can’t eliminate all mistakes because penalties, fumbles and interceptions will happen. But when you see a huge rash of these issues off and on all the time all season long - it’s coaching. Teams should improve markedly as the season progresses. I’m not saying our coaches aren’t teaching. I’m saying they may not be doing it thorough and focused enough. 

Final comparison. Have you ever worked in a company where management would set processes, but the org sort of blew them off because management didn’t really focus on it to ensure the org was doing what it needed to be doing? 

Such a tired take.  This isn't TCU.  I have absolutely zero issue with the game plan or play calling so far.  I don't know how anyone could. Players have to play.

It’s fair to say that the trend of bad pre snap penalties and guys not being on the same page in the passing game is a coaching issue because it’s been an issue for two years.

Agree that I think the game plans are mostly fine on both sides of the ball today. I’d have learned into Bijan/RoJo carrying the team a little earlier than they did on last drive, but also understand that Baylor will adjust to that and you’re going to have to be able to convert something else at some point.

31 minutes ago, vtaenz said:
36 minutes ago, Newy25 said:
The two false starts followed by the struggling QB acting frustrated towards his own teammates punctuated by a fumble sums up Sark perfectly. 

...how?

Really? Maybe I should have used the Ewers fumble turned Baylor TD to sum Sark up. Coach Accountability refusing to sub out a struggling QB until he sucks the life out of every Texas fan alive. Even then, Sark wouldn’t pull Ewers. 

Texas was fucking ROLLING with Bijan, so Sark calls 2 straight passes resulting in a 1 yd gain and a fumble for a Baylor defensive TD.

OFFENSIVE GENIUS AT WORK.

Refusing to ride a heisman quality back is a mother fucking fireable offense.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1