This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Always great to beat Baylor. Always. Especially with the 4th quarter running game featuring Bijan. Why did it take so long to come up with that plan?

But, for those who attended UT in late 1980s-early 1990s, we have seen this before. 
— 13-11 after two years suggests Sark will end up somewhere between Mackovic (best-case scenario) and McWilliams (worst-case). This season has a total Mackovic feel: great victories and inexplicable, bumbling losses. Mackovic was supposed to be offense whiz.
— Sark has 3 more wins than last season, but only 1 more than Herman’s last season. So the longer-term improvement is not 3 wins, but 1 win across two years. Almost exactly like Mackovic following McWilliams.
— Sark has 5 wins and 8 wins, which averages to 6.5 per year, which rounds to 7. As in 7-Win-Steve. 

The history repeats because we ignore it and do the same thing again ... and again ... and again. All while hoping for the best despite what is right before our eyes. Feel free to ignore or slam me with my references to actual Texas football history.

Overconfidence on small sample size. That’s a bold move Cotton.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Excellent win for the program. Eight Win Steve has a great chance to continue his learning curve jump in the bowl game. I was hoping for playoff contention but my expectations were below that. 

Sarkisian will have a war chest to retain, attract and recruit this cycle. There won’t be much public about it, as that is key IP. He needs to build on this thing and continue to raise the floor of the program while he learns to win consistently. 

Yeah 8-4 coulda/shoulda/woulda been 10-2 with more competent coaching, but there are a lot of things going on that could allow him to succeed, even if it is possibly in spite of himself. Split decision this season, and not near as good as it could have been, but not an utter disaster either. If the talent acquisition runs itself the hope obviously is that will be good enough to have us in the top 10 and the playoffs more likely than not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

The history repeats because we ignore it and do the same thing again ... and again ... and again. All while hoping for the best despite what is right before our eyes. Feel free to ignore or slam me with my references to actual Texas football history.

GIF-OK-okay-Cheryl-Cole-GIF.gif&ehk=IWil

27 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

That’s fair. I didn’t even think of the current contract length.

He’s underpaid in todays world, so improvement next year will mean we have to extend him and pay him more. That is not a bad thing should it need to happen.

Amy Poehler Nod GIF by NBC

Just now, Skipper said:

I don't know if you are an aggy troll or just suck at posting.  But either way, you should post less

aggy is being excited about how terrible Sark blew this entire season with this best RB in the country. He will never win anything of significance at Texas.

• Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I just want to point out that was the weirdest swing in offensive production I’ve ever seen. We looked completely and utterly hopeless on offense (like as bad as I’ve ever seen it) and then decided not to let Q throw again and looked unstoppable.

We moved the ball and scored in every quarter. We stalled when the OL couldn't pass block, so we decided to run the ball instead, since the OL had no problem with run blocking. The only reason this game was close was the 2 TOs in the 3Q.

• Hook 'Em 5

This win seems like the difference between an off-season full of “hot seat” discussions and maybe a few high profile decommits versus a ton of recruiting momentum and a probable preseason top 15 ranking. Sark picked the perfect time to quit all the bullshit and just run the ball 20 times in a row with the best backfield in the nation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also fuck this shit about the big 12 being down. I think I saw, as recently as two weeks ago, that it was the best conference in the land. Our last place team in Iowa State beat the big tens west division champ this year. There’s not a single bad team/gimme in this conference. There are a bunch of teams waiting to ambush you on the road. There are no gimmes, even if the top end quality might not be as high as Michigan/oSU or Bama/GA/Tenn. 

https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Scroll to the bottom. It's not one person's take, it is the consensus of all the rating systems and polls that the Big 12 is the best conference this year. It's close with the SEC so it could switch but the Big 12 will be neck and neck with the SEC. Anyone saying the conference is down this year is being a complete moron.

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Scroll to the bottom. It's not one person's take, it is the consensus of all the rating systems and polls that the Big 12 is the best conference this year. It's close with the SEC so it could switch but the Big 12 will be neck and neck with the SEC. Anyone saying the conference is down this year is being a complete moron.

I think the illusion comes from looking like shit for 13 seasons. There’s not a game this season that I thought the other team was obviously better. That’s an unfamiliar feeling and it’s simple to rationalize that the big 12 must be down.

The team/coaches/whatever left a lot of meat on the bone this season. We could be optimistic and think year 3 + less youth results in a great setup for 2023. I’m pretty skeptical on sark though…this might just be what a talented sark team does.

Always great to beat Baylor. Always. Especially with the 4th quarter running game featuring Bijan. Why did it take so long to come up with that plan?
But, for those who attended UT in late 1980s-early 1990s, we have seen this before.  — 13-11 after two years suggests Sark will end up somewhere between Mackovic (best-case scenario) and McWilliams (worst-case). This season has a total Mackovic feel: great victories and inexplicable, bumbling losses. Mackovic was supposed to be offense whiz. — Sark has 3 more wins than last season, but only 1 more than Herman’s last season. So the longer-term improvement is not 3 wins, but 1 win across two years. Almost exactly like Mackovic following McWilliams. — Sark has 5 wins and 8 wins, which averages to 6.5 per year, which rounds to 7. As in 7-Win-Steve.    The history repeats because we ignore it and do the same thing again ... and again ... and again. All while hoping for the best despite what is right before our eyes. Feel free to ignore or slam me with my references to actual Texas football history.

This is so fucking stupid on so many levels. The sport, not to mention the landscape of college football doesn’t even bear a resemblance to what it was 25+ years ago.

Oh shit! OU hired the DC from a National Championship caliber program! We’re fucked!
  • Hook 'Em 1

How can anyone feel anything but optimistic right now?

You’re familiar with Sark’s career, right? You realize this team lost two games it really should not have, games that are going to keep it out of the conference title game, due in large part to in game coaching, right?

Look, I’m glad Texas won. Loved the team’s effort - not just today but all year really, and I’ve been consistent on that - and it was legitimately good to see Sark show that he’s maybe learned a lesson when it comes to trusting the running game when it’s working. It would have been cool for him to learn it mid season instead of the last game, but hey whatever.

I’m not totally down on the program because there are absolutely some positive indicators, but we’re talking about a head coach for whom this matches his best career campaign. If you hire a guy nicknamed seven win Steve and then turn around and expect him to be nine-plus win Steve, that’s a recipe for disappointment.

So, yeah, there’s some reason to be pessimistic, or perhaps conflicted is the better word.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

This win seems like the difference between an off-season full of “hot seat” discussions and maybe a few high profile decommits versus a ton of recruiting momentum and a probable preseason top 15 ranking. Sark picked the perfect time to quit all the bullshit and just run the ball 20 times in a row with the best backfield in the nation.

Im just bitter he didn’t try this earlier.

Edited by Matagorda

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

They’re 6-6.  Almost beating tcu is beyond our standards.  Well maybe not under sark

He meant that Baylor controlled a likely playoff bound team for 3/4 of a game last week. It isn't a bad team. And beating it by double digits is nothing to be ashamed of. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas time of possession in 4th qtr 11 min

4th qtr...  132yds Texas. only 4yds for baylor

Along with it mostly on the ground, this is what we asked for, he finally made the in game adjustment. Argue about two years from now then, he isn’t going anywhere and he did what we all wanted. PT fucking L.

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And it’s the consensus take around here. This my post. 

11 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This is so fucking stupid on so many levels. The sport, not to mention the landscape of college football doesn’t even bear a resemblance to what it was 25+ years ago.

I never said we should go back 25+ years. I said that Sark is Mackovic 2.0 or worse (McWilliams). Supposed offensive whiz, great wins, inexplicable losses, baffling game plans, and so on. Watching the last two years is like going back 25-30 years. And we will repeat that era all over again for the next few years. 

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

But, for those who attended UT in late 1980s-early 1990s, we have seen this before. 
— 13-11 after two years suggests Sark will end up somewhere between Mackovic (best-case scenario) and McWilliams (worst-case). This season has a total Mackovic feel: great victories and inexplicable, bumbling losses. Mackovic was supposed to be offense whiz.
— Sark has 3 more wins than last season, but only 1 more than Herman’s last season. So the longer-term improvement is not 3 wins, but 1 win across two years. Almost exactly like Mackovic following McWilliams.
— Sark has 5 wins and 8 wins, which averages to 6.5 per year, which rounds to 7. As in 7-Win-Steve. 

Do better or stop posting, rainman 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

Bijan will be back. Those two TV dipshits said so. Just pay him $8,000,000 in NIL.

I mean, I talked about this on the recruiting thread a couple months ago, but that’s literally a no brainer offer if you think he’s the difference between a national title and not. I personally don’t think he is, and with Roshon being 85% as good and a third round guy it would make more sense to pay him 3M or something, but if the line continues to improve and Ewers improves and we add a couple dangerous receivers the RB’s on campus and being recruited will be plenty good enough. All that should cost less than paying Bijan 8M, but you miss out on ancillary benefits like a Heisman hype/campaign if you think that’s important, which maybe it is and maybe it isn’t. 

With aggy considering investing 90M in getting rid of their staff it shows a luxury splurge that’s timed correctly could make such a decision make

sense, Financially. 

At any rate- if you look at all 4 of the guys that got actually carried their YPC average is all pretty similar (I think Bijans is actually the lowest). Like in the Nba being a 40% shooter on volume is a skill in and of itself, but I see no reason to believe we won’t run for 2,000 plus yards next year if we stick with it. It will just likely be more of a committee type thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

He meant that Baylor controlled a likely playoff bound team for 3/4 of a game last week. It isn't a bad team. And beating it by double digits is nothing to be ashamed of. 

Eh whatever.  The half-empty cabal will find a way to debbie downer anything.

We'd fucking bitch if they hung us with a new rope.

• Haha 2

To be fair mackovic was range bound with 7-9 wins with maybe an outlier one way or another until that shit show 4-7 year. I think until SS shows he can consistently win when he’s supposed to and win the games that are toss ups he’s expected to be in that 7-9. I think that’s the comparison. 

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

To be fair mackovic as daily range bound with 7-9 wins with maybe an outlier one way or another until that shit show 4-7 year. I think until SS shows he can consistently win when he’s supposed to and win the games that are toss ups he’s expected to be in that 7-9. I think that’s the comparison. 

That's the thing though.  We could have won all the games we played.  We were severely outranked in all but one of them.  

I guess you can argue that he should have won all of them.  But TTU is the only one we should have won and didn't.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's the thing though.  We could have won all the games we played.  We were severely outranked in all but one of them.  

I guess you can argue that he should have won all of them.  But TTU is the only one we should have won and didn't.

On paper sure but as the game played TTU and oSu should have been wins. I’m not saying the Mackovic comparison is correct but until SS breaks out it’s compelling. And NIL might make SS more successful just because. But a play caller HC who has never broken out of the 7-9 win range sounds awfully a lot like mackovic. I personally don’t know and don’t want to waste much energy thinking about it though I do expect if Texas wins it all it will be the players overcoming coaching deficiencies because what we’ve seen doesn’t inspire saban or Kirby smart like confidence. 

47 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

Bijan will be back. Those two TV dipshits said so. Just pay him $8,000,000 in NIL.

Not sure what it would cost, but that seems to be at the top end. 

RBs have much lower value in the modern NFL than in the past.  Zero RBs were taken in the first round in 2022, but the top RB was Breece Hall.  Bijan is *much* better than Hall.

In the past few years, the following RBs were taken in the first round:
2022 - none
2021 - Naje Harris (24), Travis Etienne (25)
2020 - Edwards-Hellaire (32)
2019 - Jacobs (24)

Let's assume that Bijan is picked #10 (which is optimistic based on recent draft history).  He gets a 4-yr contract in the $22-24 million range.  IMO, $6mm should easily keep him...

4 minutes ago, troph said:

On paper sure but as the game played TTU and oSu should have been wins. I’m not saying the Mackovic comparison is correct but until SS breaks out it’s compelling. And NIL might make SS more successful just because. But a play caller HC who has never broken out of the 7-9 win range sounds awfully a lot like mackovic. I personally don’t know and don’t want to waste much energy thinking about it though I do expect if Texas wins it all it will be the players overcoming coaching deficiencies because what we’ve seen doesn’t inspire saban or Kirby smart like confidence. 

Kirby smart is a mouth breathing moron who couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag. He’s the guy you should hold up as evidence that Sark can win big here. Georgia has consistently run an incredibly dirty program and stacked insane recruiting classes one on top of the other, until the talent became so good even Kirby Smart couldn’t fuck it up. 
this post has some hyperbole in it, but more truthful than not. 

• Hook 'Em 6