This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

OSU sure.  TCU we couldn't run the ball for shit.

We don’t know that because we only gave 12 touches to our best player. I hate when people say this and act like part of running the ball isn’t about wearing out a defense. We have no idea if we could have run the ball against TCU because we abandoned it like we did many other times this season. We also tried almost nothing off tackle, zero counter or misdirection, and did nothing to get our athletes into space. We ran up the gut against stacked boxes and then we threw deep.

We ran the ball 17 total times that game. 5 touches in the 2nd half for Bijan. 2 touches in the second half for RoJo. Fucking Mike Leach is more committed to the run than that. (That’s a joke obviously)

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Rage+1 1

Based on Ewers performance this season, he really made a very good call coming to Texas because he would have got pulled or never seen the field this season if he was still at Ohio St.  However, I think he will be much improved next season and will win many games.

He wouldn’t have seen a single meaningful snap at Ohio State this year as he’s nowhere near the QB CJ Stroud is.
  • Hook 'Em 2

The only reason why I think we could have stuck with the run more against OkSt is because we showed we could block one run well enough. 

Just looking at stat lines is dumb and generally misleading though. We were dominated at the LOS against both of those teams, but our counter play lead to a few huge runs in the first half. Once OkSt adjusted, we had nothing in the run game and it was a bunch of trying to evade guys in the backfield again. We tried multiple runs against TCU and nothing looked relatively promising.

I don't remember the OU game, but ISU was the first time I starting seeing consistent success up front when we needed it. 

Last post ill make about it though. If people don't wanna look at how the plays actually happened then we aren't even having the same conversation

• Hook 'Em 2

In grading Sark might want to grade on a small curve. 

this purgatory of between conferences seems to be a real thing.
this was the same crew that called zero penalties against OSU.  One yesterday for 5 yards  

image.thumb.png.2483f6e6a3c7df3e8d6871451c70233d.png

Neither Baylor or Texas had a non procedural penalty called yesterday. Texas just committed more of them. Refs did miss a grounding call on Baylor.

Nine or 10 of the 14 penalties against OSU were stupid pre snap shit. Texas offset an OSU hold with a dumb personal foul and declined another. It’s Overblown. Big 12 refs aren’t competent enough to execute a conspiracy against Texas.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Neither Baylor or Texas had a non procedural penalty called yesterday. Texas just committed more of them. Refs did miss a grinding call on Baylor.

Nine or 10 of the 14 penalties against OSU were stupid pre snap shit. Texas offset an OSU hold with a dumb personal foul and declined another. It’s Overblown. Big 12 refs aren’t competent enough to execute a conspiracy against Texas.

One OL with 3 false starts.  (Please tell me it wasn't more than 3, those are all I remember.)

13 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The only reason why I think we could have stuck with the run more against OkSt is because we showed we could block one run well enough. 

Just looking at stat lines is dumb and generally misleading though. We were dominated at the LOS against both of those teams, but our counter play lead to a few huge runs in the first half. Once OkSt adjusted, we had nothing in the run game and it was a bunch of trying to evade guys in the backfield again. We tried multiple runs against TCU and nothing looked relatively promising.

I don't remember the OU game, but ISU was the first time I starting seeing consistent success up front when we needed it. 

Last post ill make about it though. If people don't wanna look at how the plays actually happened then we aren't even having the same conversation

Why are you acting like the results don’t matter? The goal is to gain yards. I don’t care how tough the running is if Bijan can get 7 yards a pop you keep giving him and the stable of backs averaging 6 yards per the ball.

47 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You're still wrong. If you think Bijan needing to evade defenders in the backfield to gain yards against ULM is effective running, idk what to tell you. But do your thing man

46 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think 7 yards per carry is effective. What the fuck are you talking about?

Bijan has lead the nation in yards after contact the last two seasons. Give him the ball

I think its wonderful that Surly started a "make a wish" initiative. But goddamnit Hobbes, if you keep attacking our special needs posters, all of immamac's hard work in getting it up and running will be for naught. Just pat Atticus on his head and let him on his way. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Exactly, he didnt get 9 wins that season. There is no way around it.

Sark wasn’t the head coach of Washington for the game, so he DOES NOT GET CREDIT.

No one of any authority or any regard or merit gives him credit for the win. Not media, not the schools, not the NCAA, not the various organizations that track stats. No one.

You what category your response is in when 6th street pos reps you. Hahaha

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You what category your response is in when 6th street pos reps you. Hahaha

Is this English?

You know your argument is shit when you have to complain about who reps the counter argument instead of attacking it on its merits or weaknesses.

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/steve-sarkisian/2944

F478E9B5-142C-42AF-803A-4A460F5AEF7C.thumb.jpeg.2f2c859eeffb0b08cd38203638051ab7.jpeg

https://usctrojans.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/steve-sarkisian/233

0367931B-4E30-4535-BB7E-545E7047060D.thumb.jpeg.76257df7422bcdf041bd0865b5a58e1a.jpeg

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/steve-sarkisian-1.html

C0F39256-D078-4DC6-B53D-53CC5F694C8F.thumb.png.520fa067832ce17bcc216112ef70c127.png

Edited by lilMAC25

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

Is this English?

You know your argument is shit when you have to complain about who reps the counter argument instead of attacking it on its merits or weaknesses.

Right......

Because if Nick Saban leaves Bama prior to the bowl game which Bama goes on to win, we give the credit for the team success to....checks notes...Bill fucking Obrien. Steve built that team. Steve is going to get to continue building this team. You are gonna be so pissed if KU wins tonight. 

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Right......

Because if Nick Saban leaves Bama prior to the bowl game which Bama goes on to win, we give the credit for the team success to....checks notes...Bill fucking Obrien. Steve built that team. Steve is going to get to continue building this team. You are gonna be so pissed if KU wins tonight. 

You say some utterly stupid shit and this (along with “it’s racist to want to fire Strong”) is the Crown Jewels among your Hall of Stupid.

No one is giving Bryan Harsin credit for the games that Cadillac Williams coached at Auburn.

No one is giving Chad Morris credit for the bowl game that Sonny Dykes coached at SMU.

As far as your claim that I’m gonna be mad if KU wins tonight…

as I posted in post #4444

0D6487FF-234D-49B7-8D54-524920A78BF6.thumb.jpeg.53990256a8623b5b5d3a0ff6587e20b9.jpeg

Rock Chalk, motherfucker.

I’m sure you’ll find some other windmill to fight soon, though Señor Quixote

Edited by lilMAC25

8 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

You say some utterly stupid shit and this (along with “it’s racist to want to fire Strong”) is the Crown Jewels among your Hall of Stupid.

No one is giving Bryan Harsin credit for the games that Cadillac Williams coached at Auburn.

No one is giving Chad Morris credit for the bowl game that Sonny Dykes coached.

As far as your claim that I’m gonna be mad if KU wins tonight…

as I posted in post #4444

0D6487FF-234D-49B7-8D54-524920A78BF6.thumb.jpeg.53990256a8623b5b5d3a0ff6587e20b9.jpeg

Rock Chalk, motherfucker.

I said it was racist to wanna fire Charlie Strong? Go find that post. You won't because it didn't happen. Just throwing shit against the wall now arent you? It was ASSUMED the only reason I was for Charlie was because people know I'm black but that's all it was. 

Steve built that UW team. He left because someone saw his success and offered him a better job. The squad left behind went on to continue the success. 

Edited by Thatguy

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I said it was racist to wanna fire Charlie Strong? Go find that post. You won't because it didn't happen. Just throwing shit against the wall now arent you? It was ASSUMED the only reason I was for Charlie was because people know I'm black but that's all it was. 

I had no idea you were black until you said it in this thread. I don’t particularly care either way. I just remember “P” desperately clinging to Charlie’s nuts and gagging on that 7 loss cock with glee. It’s perfectly possible that “P” wasn’t the “it’s racist to fire or want to fire Charlie” person, but I can hardly be faulted for conflating two idiots and their nonsensical gibberish.

I am amused that NOW you’re worried about people “throwing shit against the wall” when it is exactly what you have been doing every single time you’ve falsely claimed I will be upset when Texas succeeds.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

I had no idea you were black until you said it in this thread.

I’m amused that NOW you’re worried about people “throwing shit against the wall” when it’s what you’ve been doing every single time you’ve falsely claimed I’ll be upset when Texas succeeds.

Yes. People falsely accused me of wanting to keep Strong because we are both black and they assumed that was my motivation. So that kept coming up back in the day but I never said it was racist to want to fire him. Maybe another poster said that but it wasn't me. 

My saying you are going to be mad about KU winning is because it would give us a shot at 10 wins which means you would have to walk back a lot of things you've said in this thread. 

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I had no idea you were black until you said it in this thread. I don’t particularly care either way. I just remember “P” desperately clinging to Charlie’s nuts and gagging on that 7 loss cock with glee. It’s perfectly possible that “P” wasn’t the “it’s racist to fire or want to fire Charlie” person, but I can hardly be faulted for conflating two idiots and their nonsensical gibberish.

I am amused that NOW you’re worried about people “throwing shit against the wall” when it is exactly what you have been doing every single time you’ve falsely claimed I will be upset when Texas succeeds.

If you know any black guys then you would know we talk a lot of shit. I am just fucking with you to be honest. I take none of this shit seriously. 

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yes. People falsely accused me of wanting to keep Strong because we are both black and they assumed that was my motivation. So that kept coming up back in the day but I never said it was racist to want to fire him. Maybe another poster said that but it wasn't me. 

My saying you are going to be mad about KU winning is because it would give us a shot at 10 wins which means you would have to walk back a lot of things you've said in this thread. 

I don’t care at all about having to “walk anything back”.

I’m 44 years old and have been married for 14 years. I’ve been wrong more times than you’ve gotten laid. It’s not that hard to admit it.

I’ve admitted that I was wrong multiple times about different things in this thread. I’m hoping for one more this year at minimum (a chance to play in the BigXii CG)

Edited by lilMAC25

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I don’t care at all about having to “walk anything back”.

I’m 44 years old and have been married for 14 years. I’ve been wrong more times than you’ve gotten laid. It’s not that hard to admit it.

I’ve admitted that I was wrong multiple times about different things in this thread.

I am 50 years old and have been married longer than you. So your bolded statement is correct. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Right......

No, man, you are factually incorrect. Take the L and stop being a bitch about it. Sarkisian doesn’t get credit for a bowl win he didn’t coach. It doesn’t work that way and you cannot equivocate it into reality. Christ. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Plus, they are recruiting him to play the Keilan Robinson role on this offense.

Comparing Keilan Robinson’s perceived value as a recruit to that of Wisner, a guy riding the bench on his high school team, is mind-blowing. 

The LB from Cali last year that Texas had committed until SD1 before he found a soft place to land was also not starting by the time they trapdoored him. 

If Texas has guys that they want more and decide they don’t like the roster impact of Wisner, he’s gone. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Comparing Keilan Robinson’s perceived value as a recruit to that of Wisner, a guy riding the bench on his high school team, is mind-blowing. 

The LB from Cali last year that Texas had committed until SD1 before he found a soft place to land was also not starting by the time they trapdoored him. 

If Texas has guys that they want more and decide they don’t like the roster impact of Wisner, he’s gone. 

Appreciate the info.

KRob should find a home as a STer in the NFL. Maybe a 3rd down guy.

that’s a good living.

Edited by lilMAC25

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

That is not something I am coming up with, that is something IT, including Gerry and Bobby, have said for some time.

A lot of this discussion is different frames of reference.

If you are looking at this season in relation to Texas’s potential as a program, then this season probably looks pretty poor.

If you are looking at this season in relation to where we have been as a program (2nd best season since 2013, 3rd best season since 2009), then this looks like progress and a step forward.

Given we are in Year 2, then I think the second frame is more applicable. In a couple of years, then it should rightfully shift to the first frame.

Edited by burdine
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, burdine said:

A lot of this a lot of this discussion is different frames of reference.

If you are looking at this season in relation to Texas’s potential as a program, then this season probably looks pretty poor.

If you are looking at this season in relation to where we have been as a program (2nd best season since 2013, 3rd best season since 2009), then this looks like progress and a step forward.

Given we are in Year 2, then I think the second frame is more applicable. In a couple of years, then it should rightfully shift to the first frame.

It’s crazy how much rode on yesterday’s game in terms of the perception of the direction of the program. It really was a must win game IMO.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s crazy how much rode on yesterday’s game in terms of the perception of the direction of the program. It really was a must win game IMO.

Agree there was real pressure on the staff and players and they responded. It’s not everything but it’s encouraging. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 11/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, Monahorns said:

Leaving the idea of "7 win Sark" aside, I think part of the issue with fan expectations was the 9.95ers.  I don't think anyone really expected much more than a 8-4 season until Boyd and others started proclaiming how excellent the Texas passing game was going to be.  Losing Neyor for the year hurt but that wasn't the biggest issue.  The biggest issue was the way over estimation of how good Ewers was going to be as first year starter.  At a base level, QB play didn't get significantly better in 2022 compared to 2021.  Even the last game of each season was reminiscent.  Sark had to put the whole game on the shoulders of the OL and RBs.  It worked both years.

There is a good chance that next year is the year that Texas gets a big upgrade in QB play.  Either Ewers will improve with an added year or hopefully Cark sticks around and continues his improvement curve.  It was obvious 2021 to 2022.

The point though is don't listen to talking heads.  They make money by getting fans excited about the next season.  We see the improvement curve now with 5-7 to 8-4 and recruiting well.  Sark either builds on these results and makes something of himself or we stay around an 8-4 level and Texas starts looking for another coach in 3-4 years.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:47 AM, closetojumping said:

Hey man, if you’re taking your cues on how to feel about the team from a proven imbecile like Ian Boyd, that’s on you. Don’t go putting that nonsensical evil on the rest of us, though. 

Ian Boyd picked WV as a dark horse to win the Big12

Edited by Viper
clarified as a dark horse
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Baylor is a mediocre team without any real receiving threats and an average at best defense. If we lost to them at home it would have been a data point in the wrong direction. We beat every team we “should” have beaten with the exception of Tech. And we beat one team we probably did not think we would beat in K State. I thought we would go 7-5/8-4 but I also thought I would see our offense develop late in the year. Instead, it was the defense that did the developing.  The defense to me is the reason for optimism but the the lack of development in the passing game is a concern. Ewers cannot be handed the starting job next year. He didn’t earn that right with his lack or progress this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Baylor is a mediocre team without any real receiving threats and an average at best defense. If we lost to them at home it would have been a data point in the wrong direction. We beat every team we “should” have beaten with the exception of Tech. And we beat one team we probably did not think we would beat in K State. I thought we would go 7-5/8-4 but I also thought I would see our offense develop late in the year. Instead, it was the defense that did the developing.  The defense to me is the reason for optimism but the the lack of development in the passing game is a concern. Ewers cannot be handed the starting job next year. He didn’t earn that right with his lack or progress this season. 

I see our record next year basically the same as this year…I know folks want to assume this year’s improvement is the launching step that propels us to a conference championship but we lose a lot on defense and almost of our production on defense.

edited to add, it feels like much of next year’s success rides on the portal.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Like 1

I see our record next year basically the same as this year…I know folks want to assume this year’s improvement is the launching step that propels us to a conference championship but we lose a lot on defense and almost of our production on defense.
edited to add, it feels like much of next year’s success rides on the portal.

Each of the last two years win total being better than it ultimately was hinged on QB and WR play. Yes, had the Oline played better or various other parts made a play here or there we win two more. But these two groups left too many plays out there that were available.

So you could be right. But I’d expect line play to reach a better level of consistency on both sides. There will be guys on the current roster that make an impact next year who have not done so to date at various positions. There is too great a tendency on this board to give up on guys. Crawford might be an example of that. Gbenda. But many also focus on flashes rather than consistency of playing a told.

So again it comes down to Qb and WR to me.

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I've been very critical of Sark only because I think that coaching still matters no matter how many stars you have on the field. I realize that he has a team of young guys and not so great old guys. Which means he has to put the players in the best position to minimize their mistakes. It won't fix everything but it will definitely help. Now that may not always be the offense he wants to run, but that may be what is best for the team. And I don't feel like he always did that this year. It's also troubling to me how the same players making the same mistakes takes forever to get addressed. That's why I criticize him first. Also, he was straight up outcoached in 2 of the 4 losses.

That being said what he did with Ewers and Worthy yesterday was nice. Now it may not have been award winning or ESPN highlight worthy, but it was exactly what this team needed. Why it took 12 games into his 2nd season for a 3x HC to make some changes? IDK. But, it was 10x better than some of the earlier game plans. And kudos to him for getting the team back from 9 down early. Forget last year, 2-3 weeks ago, I'm not sure they would have came back.

So an opportunity to go 9-4(not even going to trick myself into the 10 win scenario) is definitely an improvement over last year. He just needs to win the damn bowl game and I will forgive him for the OSU game. Tech is unforgiveable.

Here's something I wonder.  I think it's fairly established that Sark has a "system" that relies on top-flight talent and execution, e.g. Alabama and SC.  I think he was a bit slow to recognize that the talent and execution here was not sufficient to run that system.  And despite that slow recognition, we have put on some offensive "shows," for a half anyway, perhaps reinforcing Sark's belief in his own system.

Then it becomes a "chicken salad out of chickenshit" question.  Can the coach adapt his system to the talent on-hand?  Certainly, some coaches are quite adept at doing that.  But are they the best head coaches?  Or does that adaptability put a ceiling on their ultimate "achievement"?

Inability to do that well, or being slow to adjust to it, as Sark seems to have been, indicates that he's not a chicken salad from chickenshit guy.  Or maybe that he's learning on the job.  But does that mean he'll be a failure as a top-flight head coach?

I dunno.

But, it seems like he's on track to getting the kind of falent he's used to succeeding with here at Texas and getting it in the positions of need. We could become a juggernaut.

Who knows.

ETA:  Sark may be a bit of a "project" at head coach.  Herman probably was too, but was exhibiting some tendencies that indicated he wasn't developing as a head coach.  I think Strong was more fully formed as a head coach, and limited in that formation.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5