This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's something I wonder.  I think it's fairly established that Sark has a "system" that relies on top-flight talent and execution, e.g. Alabama and SC.  I think he was a bit slow to recognize that the talent and execution here was not sufficient to run that system.  And despite that slow recognition, we have put on some offensive "shows," for a half anyway, perhaps reinforcing Sark's belief in his own system.

Then it becomes a "chicken salad out of chickenshit" question.  Can the coach adapt his system to the talent on-hand?  Certainly, some coaches are quite adept at doing that.  But are they the best head coaches?  Or does that adaptability put a ceiling on their ultimate "achievement"?

Inability to do that well, or being slow to adjust to it, as Sark seems to have been, indicates that he's not a chicken salad from chickenshit guy.  Or maybe that he's learning on the job.  But does that mean he'll be a failure as a top-flight head coach?

I dunno.

But, it seems like he's on track to getting the kind of falent he's used to succeeding with here at Texas and getting it in the positions of need. We could become a juggernaut.

Who knows.

A sark team will never be a juggernaut but if you're happy with eight or nine wins every year you're going to be happy with sark. 8 or 9 wins is his ceiling no matter how much talent he has.

Disagree if you wish but you'll see for yourself over the next few years

• Fuck You 4

Here's something I wonder.  I think it's fairly established that Sark has a "system" that relies on top-flight talent and execution.  I think he was a bit slow to recognize that the talent and execution here was not sufficient to run that system.  And despite that slow recognition, we have put on some offensive "shows," for a half anyway, perhaps reinforcing Sark's belief in his own system.
Then it becomes a "chicken salad out of chickenshit" question.  Can the coach adapt his system to the talent on-hand?  Certainly, some coaches are quite adept at doing that.  But are they the best head coaches?
Inability to do that well, or being slow to adjust to it, as Sark seems to have been, indicates that he's not a chicken salad from chickenshit guy.  Or maybe that he's learning on the job.  But does that mean he'll be a failure as a top-flight head coach?
I dunno.
But, it seems like he's on track to getting the kind of falent he's used to succeeding with here at Texas and getting it in the positions of need. We could become a juggernaut.
Who knows.

The way recruiting is going, I think it’s possible that Texas could straight out talent most of the mutant Big 12 to the tune of 9-10 wins over the next couple years. Not necessarily my prediction but I see the path.

Texas will not be able to do the same in the SEC and I don’t think Sark is going to consistently exceed his 7-8 win career benchmark when the schedule has 4-5 teams in the same talent ballpark instead of 2.

1 minute ago, austintiger said:

A sark team will never be a juggernaut but if you're happy with eight or nine wins every year you're going to be happy with sark. 8 or 9 wins is his ceiling no matter how much talent he has.

Dumb

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The way recruiting is going, I think it’s possible that Texas could straight out talent most of the mutant Big 12 to the tune of 9-10 wins over the next couple years. Not necessarily my prediction but I see the path.

Texas will not be able to do the same in the SEC and I don’t think Sark is going to consistently exceed his 7-8 win career benchmark when the schedule has 4-5 teams in the same talent ballpark instead of 2.

Maybe bama, Georgia and lsu but the other 11 teams in the sec are just average talent wise. Kiffin just got beat by a dogshit miss st team, and Napier has a long ass climb to turn Florida around. If we get Mack level talent again we are going to be just fine in the sec, pussy. Lol 

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, austintiger said:

There is zero evidence to support this conjecture.  Unfortunately, you won't be around to laugh at if he proves you wrong.

Decided this post fits better in the Sark thread (vs. Ewers Mullet)

It's entirely possible that Ewers has been coached down by this staff. 

Vince Young told Greg Davis to go fuck himself so they let him do his thing.

Ewers starts strong, gets hurt right out of the chute. Comes back, looks good, then steadily declines. I can just hear 'em. "Don't run with it..." "Stay in the pocket..." "Think before you release..." Maybe Ewers is trying to make them happy by reining in his natural instincts.

For all we know, Sark and his OC are the problems. Their absolute inability to respond to adjustments (which surely by the TCU game should have been anticipated), leaves me to think Sark is the proverbial deer in the headlights when it comes to big games and critical decisions. I hope he proves me wrong, but in my mind, Sark is underperforming just as badly as Ewers. Coincidence?

34 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Well this team won 8 games with mostly poor QB play from a true freshman.  Yeah no way they improve next year.  You seem dumb. Is Austin Tiger an LSU thing?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ewers starts strong, gets hurt right out of the chute. Comes back, looks good, then steadily declines. I can just hear 'em. "Don't run with it..." "Stay in the pocket..." "Think before you release..." Maybe Ewers is trying to make them happy by reining in his natural instincts.

For all we know, Sark and his OC are the problems. Their absolute inability to respond to adjustments (which surely by the TCU game should have been anticipated), leaves me to think Sark is the proverbial deer in the headlights when it comes to big games and critical decisions. I hope he proves me wrong, but in my mind, Sark is underperforming just as badly as Ewers. Coincidence?

The people who think he does ok with QBs are just wrong, then? Or just wrong for Ewers? All the poor coaching through camp and his first games didn’t take, but the coaches eventually wore him down to get him throwing poorly?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I heard Ssrk coached Ewers to use really shitty footwork and overthrow every deep pass.  I think you figured it all out.  Reading Irish Wrist Watches posts is like wearing a Sicilian Necktie.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The people who think he does ok with QBs are just wrong, then? Or just wrong for Ewers? All the poor coaching through camp and his first games didn’t take, but the coaches eventually wore him down to get him throwing poorly?

So what happened then? Why'd he get worse? Not sure I'd buy the argument that our last opponents were that much better. Maybe TCU, but Tech? Why great production in the first half and shitshows in the second half? Did playcalling get conservative, or did the QB get scared... or lose his skills?

I think its pretty clear that Sark turtled. After getting a lead, he'd quit using deception and creativity on first and second down. He had far too many third and longs, and even with the calibre of talent in the backfield, seldom ran the ball on third and long. Something that can work if you make the right call with a speedy back. Very few swing passes. Almost never hit a back coming out of the backfield into the middle of the field. Never a pump fake. Almost never a screen pass... Against heavy rushes, I've seen teams run screen passes three plays in a row.

Sark needs a Come to Jesus moment... or maybe a Come to Nick moment. Maybe an all expenses paid Sweat Lodge with Sabine? Forgive me Nick for I have turtled.

4 hours ago, Monahorns said:

Leaving the idea of "7 win Sark" aside, I think part of the issue with fan expectations was the 9.95ers.  I don't think anyone really expected much more than a 8-4 season until Boyd and others started proclaiming how excellent the Texas passing game was going to be.  Losing Neyor for the year hurt but that wasn't the biggest issue.  The biggest issue was the way over estimation of how good Ewers was going to be as first year starter.  At a base level, QB play didn't get significantly better in 2022 compared to 2021.  Even the last game of each season was reminiscent.  Sark had to put the whole game on the shoulders of the OL and RBs.  It worked both years.

There is a good chance that next year is the year that Texas gets a big upgrade in QB play.  Either Ewers will improve with an added year or hopefully Cark sticks around and continues his improvement curve.  It was obvious 2021 to 2022.

The point though is don't listen to talking heads.  They make money by getting fans excited about the next season.  We see the improvement curve now with 5-7 to 8-4 and recruiting well.  Sark either builds on these results and makes something of himself or we stay around an 8-4 level and Texas starts looking for another coach in 3-4 years.

Bobby Burton’s preseason prediction for this year was 7-5. Scipio had us at 8-4, and I think Nahlin did as well but I wouldn’t swear to it. I can’t remember what Gerry and Justin said. Boyd always overestimates Texas because he sees football in a very theoretical sense of what should happen on paper and has no real feel for the actual game.  I thought his pick of WV was an answer to the question of “who is your dark horse team to win the B12?” not who is most likely to win it. 

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So what happened then? Why'd he get worse? Not sure I'd buy the argument that our last opponents were that much better. Maybe TCU, but Tech? Why great production in the first half and shitshows in the second half? Did playcalling get conservative, or did the QB get scared... or lose his skills?

I think its pretty clear that Sark turtled. After getting a lead, he'd quit using deception and creativity on first and second down. He had far too many third and longs, and even with the calibre of talent in the backfield, seldom ran the ball on third and long. Something that can work if you make the right call with a speedy back. Very few swing passes. Almost never hit a back coming out of the backfield into the middle of the field. Never a pump fake. Almost never a screen pass... Against heavy rushes, I've seen teams run screen passes three plays in a row.

Sark needs a Come to Jesus moment... or maybe a Come to Nick moment. Maybe an all expenses paid Sweat Lodge with Sabine? Forgive me Nick for I have turtled.

You switched from a “Sarkisian tanked Ewers” argument to a “Sarkisian turtled” argument. And didn’t address any of what I was wondering about your original argument. Maybe explain how Sarkisian coached Ewers into “steadily declining.”

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I heard Ssrk coached Ewers to use really shitty footwork and overthrow every deep pass.  I think you figured it all out.  Reading Irish Wrist Watches posts is like wearing a Sicilian Necktie.  

The kid probably wasn't using bad footwork in HS when he threw forty TDs with only 3 interceptions (or something like that). And hell yes they could tell him to change his footwork when he didn't need to. He had a quick release and was accurate as hell in his first few games. But some coach makes an off the cuff remark that doing such and such could help him. If the tie fits, wear it.

8 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The kid probably wasn't using bad footwork in HS when he threw forty TDs with only 3 interceptions (or something like that). And hell yes they could tell him to change his footwork when he didn't need to. He had a quick release and was accurate as hell in his first few games. But some coach makes an off the cuff remark that doing such and such could help him. If the tie fits, wear it.

Umm yes he was using bad footwork when he did that because it’s high school. Are you aware that high school and the Big 12 aren’t the same thing?

There is absolutely a criticism to be made of Sark that Quinn is still lacking so many fundamentals but frankly we really need another year to determine if that criticism is valid. 
I haven’t been impressed with Sark’s coaching up for Ewers but he certainly isn’t coaching him down and that’s a stupid ass assertion 

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You switched from a “Sarkisian tanked Ewers” argument to a “Sarkisian turtled” argument. And didn’t address any of what I was wondering about your original argument. Maybe explain how Sarkisian coached Ewers into “steadily declining.”

Continually putting a QB in third and longs has got to take a toll. Shitty play calling can set a QB up to fail. We almost did it yesterday until Sark realized that Baylor couldn't match our strength in the running game. Baylor was putting heavy pressure on Ewers. Sidenote: Was it fucking Mack who said "we're gonna run what we brung"?  Or GD who said "we're gonna take what they give us"? 

I know it was Mack who told a reporter as he ran off the field after a 400+yd rushing thrashing of Tech that "we ran too much."

Just now, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Continually putting a QB in third and longs has got to take a toll. Shitty play calling can set a QB up to fail. We almost did it yesterday until Sark realized that Baylor couldn't match our strength in the running game. Baylor was putting heavy pressure on Ewers. Sidenote: Was it fucking Mack who said "we're gonna run what we brung"?  Or GD who said "we're gonna take what they give us"? 

I know it was Mack who told a reporter as he ran off the field after a 400+yd rushing thrashing of Tech that "we ran too much."

Just say you made a claim you can’t support and move on. 

• Haha 1

I think the major problem with Quinn is responding to QB pressure.

It's an issue for all young QBs, but it's having a different outcome for him than many others because of his arm talent.  He doesn't typically get sacked because he can get the ball out fast.  And a lot of the throws he gets off are just a bit off instead of the complete ducks a lot of young, pressured QBs get off.  It's fucked up his footwork and isn't giving him time to read the defense and his receivers, but he still manages to get throws in the general vicinity more than an average young QB.  It looks like an "accuracy" issue but isn't so much as a hurried throw issue.

That it's a pressure issue tends to be more obvious with QBs with less arm strength.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the major problem with Quinn is responding to QB pressure.

It's an issue for all young QBs, but it's having a different outcome for him than many others because of his arm talent.  He doesn't typically get sacked because he can get the ball out fast.  And a lot of the throws he gets off are just a bit off instead of the complete ducks a lot of young, pressured QBs get off.  It's fucked up his footwork and isn't giving him time to read the defense and his receivers, but he still manages to get throws in the general vicinity more than an average young QB.  It looks like an "accuracy" issue but isn't so much as a hurried throw issue.

That’s true but his footwork was never great, that’s just not a thing with high school QBs especially those with big arms. The footwork only becomes a problem when the game speeds up and the margins for error are much much smaller. 

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Are you aware that high school and the Big 12 aren’t the same thing?

Gosh, I never thought of that. Damn. Maybe we should quit evaluating prospective recruits on their HS exploits (on the field)? If a HS QB can throw 5 TDs, he can throw 40. Maybe it's a Coed-related problem?

image.thumb.jpeg.e7d182a945676f40397b10a53ceb1196.jpeg

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s crazy how much rode on yesterday’s game in terms of the perception of the direction of the program. It really was a must win game IMO.

After that TCU turdburger, the must win game was Kansas. If we lost that game, nobody would have given a single fuck about what happened yesterday. Leipold notching a second win over Sark would have been a disaster, and the odds that Sark got fired after this season would have moved from negligible to something discussed with regularity on the national TV sports circuit.

But as it turns out, we destroyed KU because we have superior athletes across the board. Which makes Sark's loss to KU last year indicative of how goddamn inept our staff is when it comes to game day coaching.

image.thumb.png.fb78a527a6207de3efea7d7e4f55b101.png

After that TCU turdburger, the must win game was Kansas. If we lost that game, nobody would have given a single fuck about what happened yesterday. Leipold notching a second win over Sark would have been a disaster, and the odds that Sark got fired after this season would have moved from negligible to something discussed with regularity on the national TV sports circuit.
But as it turns out, we destroyed KU because we have superior athletes across the board. Which makes Sark's loss to KU last year indicative of how goddamn inept our staff is when it comes to game day coaching.
image.thumb.png.fb78a527a6207de3efea7d7e4f55b101.png

“We destroyed a team, here’s why that proves Sark is a bad coach” may be the most insane thing ever written on this board, or at least since I’ve ignored Phlegm.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

“We destroyed a team, here’s why that proves Sark is a bad coach” may be the most insane thing ever written on this board, or at least since I’ve ignored Phlegm.

Oh yeah? Did you miss the guy who wanted to give head coaching wins to teams he wasn’t even coaching when they won?

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

not destroying them last year, when their only other win was against an FCS team, is what makes him a shitty coach

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

not destroying them last year, when their only other win was against an FCS team, is what makes him a shitty coach

Nick Saban's inaugural LSU squad lost at home to UAB.  Now, that's not as bad as losing to Kansas, but when you consider that UAB was coached by Mack Brown's dumber brother, well . . .

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Nick Saban's inaugural LSU squad lost at home to UAB.  Now, that's not as bad as losing to Kansas, but when you consider that UAB was coached by Mack Brown's dumber brother, well . . .

I thought we all understood that invoking Nick Saban as a comparison was fucking retarded.

• Like 1

Now that this thread has taught me how some assign coaching credit for team wins, I think I can make the case that my football conversations with Doug Dawson in class during the 1983 season should count. Thus I am updating my Wikipedia entry to 11-0 as coach at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Kansas was much more competitive at the end of the year than the beginning. After beating us in Austin, they lost narrowly to TCU and West Virginia. I think Jalon Daniels' first start was the Texas game, too. (Still doesn't excuse the loss but based on how much more competitive they were this year than last, I don't think it looks quite as terrible now.)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I thought we all understood that invoking Nick Saban as a comparison was fucking retarded.

I think it's a perfect example of "shit happens to most teams".

I mean, do any of y'all actually watch college football?  I've been an avid fan for over 40 years.  I couldn't possibly count the number of WTF game outcomes.  They aren't always determinative of the talent on the field or the sideline.

Longhorn fans gonna Longhorn.  It's always been this way.  Put on a fucking hairshirt and whip yourself.

AoM: Movies et al.: The Da Vinci Code (2006)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it's a perfect example of "shit happens to most teams".

I mean, do any of y'all actually watch college football?  I've been an avid fan for over 40 years.  I couldn't possibly count the number of WTF game outcomes.  They aren't always determinative of the talent on the field or the sideline.

Longhorn fans gonna Longhorn.  It's always been this way.  Put on a fucking hairshirt and whip yourself.

AoM: Movies et al.: The Da Vinci Code (2006)

I don’t disagree that sometimes things just happen and you can’t control him. 

I do disagree with trying to invoke Saban. It HAS to be some weird corollary of Godwin’s Law.

Edited by lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I do disagree with trying to invoke Saban. It HAS to be some weird corollary of Godwin’s Law.

I actually am not as much of a fanboy for Nick as most.  He's a prickly motherfucker who can get outschemed fairly regularly.  Problem is, without similar talent, it doesn't matter.  Our game with 'bama for the 2009 title was a perfect example -- he was not handling our performance well at all.  And then, well, we know what happened.  

He wins with talent.  He's definitely a better coach than Mack was, but their paths aren't all that different.  No, I'm not equating them.  I'm just saying he has perfected the recipe for success in college football, which is "Jimmies and Joes" more than "Xs and Os".

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I actually am not as much of a fanboy for Nick as most.  He's a prickly motherfucker who can get outschemed fairly regularly.  Problem is, without similar talent, it doesn't matter.  Our game with 'bama for the 2009 title was a perfect example -- he was not handling our performance well at all.  And then, well, we know what happened.  

He wins with talent.  He's definitely a better coach than Mack was, but their paths aren't all that different.  No, I'm not equating them.  I'm just saying he has perfected the recipe for success in college football, which is "Jimmies and Joes" more than "Xs and Os".

He’s the GOAT, but two of his titles are just absolute horse shit. Replaying LSU when bama didn’t even win the sec west much less the SEC and being voted to a CFP when they didn’t win the west division again is just fucking biased trash. The ifs and buts of colt not getting hurt break my heart but injuries happen, voting fuckery on the other hand shouldn’t happen. 2011 and 2017 I believe were the years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I'm just here for the humongous negative right turn this thread takes later tonight when Kansas inevitably loses to Kansas State and we've all been drinking and watching that game.

Prolly, but it won’t be me. We should have been there by beating OSU, Tech, or TCU. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

9DDF273A-3759-4D9A-8AC5-059365047AA5.gif.d1f417f3bb914528269dfea1ebb451e1.gif

I never said that the coaching staff was the problem with Ewers, I threw it out as a possibility, and I don't think anything's been said that changes my mind on that. If they're good, they'll take a look at everything this off season and figure out what the problem is. I expect Ewers to be much improved. Wouldn't mind seeing a new OC. It wil be interesting to see what the loss of Bijan does. Maybe Sark will step up. Maybe he won't. 

If we don't see any improvement next year but instead fall into the same patterns we did this season, Sark may be shown the door. TCU did not impress me all that much, yet they shut down our offense completely. That bullshit isn't going to cut it. If your QB has weaknesses, you compensate. You try something different. We did yesterday, but we weren't ready for the Horn Frogs. That's on Sark. Can't help but think that part of Ewers' problem comes from the coaching staff.

26 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I never said that the coaching staff was the problem with Ewers, I threw it out as a possibility, and I don't think anything's been said that changes my mind on that. If they're good, they'll take a look at everything this off season and figure out what the problem is. I expect Ewers to be much improved. Wouldn't mind seeing a new OC. It wil be interesting to see what the loss of Bijan does. Maybe Sark will step up. Maybe he won't. 

If we don't see any improvement next year but instead fall into the same patterns we did this season, Sark may be shown the door. TCU did not impress me all that much, yet they shut down our offense completely. That bullshit isn't going to cut it. If your QB has weaknesses, you compensate. You try something different. We did yesterday, but we weren't ready for the Horn Frogs. That's on Sark. Can't help but think that part of Ewers' problem comes from the coaching staff.

Hudson Card’s improvement is a pretty strong counterpoint to your “possibility.” IMO freshman-itis is the most likely explanation.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Slacks said:

So... I am concerned about one thing with Sark. Has he ever recruited a Dual Threat QB and let said QB threst dually?

I think teams have to be stacked on stacked to win in CFB with a pocket only QB.

He didn't recruit but let Jake Locker do Jake Locker type stuff that ended with Locker being drafted 8th.