This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

I had this debate last night with family- if you looked at it objectively, should Texas grab a one year rental/veteran QB in the portal to bridge the gap to Arch? Someone like a Devin Leary or equivalent or is Ewers showed you enough to base next year on his development? 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I think sark pulled his head out of his ass for Baylor after he coached a miserable first half where bijan and Roschon ran the ball 22 times to end the game. It’s all I wanted from him. To not coach the loss and coach the win using the best opportunities on the team. 

I agree. With coaching like that, we beat okie lite, tech, maybe even TCU. With competent refs, we beat Bama too.

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I had this debate last night with family- if you looked at it objectively, should Texas grab a one year rental/veteran QB in the portal to bridge the gap to Arch? Someone like a Devin Leary or equivalent or is Ewers showed you enough to base next year on his development? 

No. Stop blaming fucking Quinn Ewers for sarks losses. They are 100% his. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

That wasn’t me blaming Ewers. It goes to the broader question of roster management of the most important position. Strong was miserable at managing this and I didn’t go around blaming David Ash or Tyrone Swoopes for Strong’s downfall as a coach. I’m curious to see how Sark manages his roster given the amount of money he will have to address any position of need. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

That wasn’t me blaming Ewers. It goes to the broader question of roster management of the most important position. Strong was miserable at managing this and I didn’t go around blaming David Ash or Tyrone Swoopes for Strong’s downfall as a coach. I’m curious to see how Sark manages his roster given the amount of money he will have to address any position of need. 

Money is finite...they addressed the position last year with Ewers.

So far one of Sark's best attributes at Texas has been handling the roster. We have much bigger needs in the portal than QB.

42 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I'll be more optimistic with a convincing Alamo Bowl win, not that it really means anything based on history.

Yahoo has us to the Sugar Bowl? Is that technically possible? They can pick whoever they like and don't have to pick K St if TCU goes to the playoff?

https://sports.yahoo.com/bowl-projections-college-football-playoff-111457428.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANTgUdlrXVW1TzcdUHbV1JUCqcwqssobDzcBHvrqcE6FK2DEJz2xkUgnIGMOZQNPV1c3BGdxgdVL47g581vysypR5v3fWv31EVADeO_YJ8UVKiUxgB90jvS70lrZNeqh57hOapbS45QiVJlhIZL7xxl9t5YSirveAc6BwCHCEvwJ

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Money is finite...they addressed the position last year with Ewers.

So far one of Sark's best attributes at Texas has been handling the roster. We have much bigger needs in the portal than QB.

Word is, Card will portal. Looks like Maalik will be #2, unless he bails too.

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Technically they could but it typically goes to the 2nd place team in the Big 12 if the winner goes to the playoff. 

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Motherfucking god damned offseason, son of a bitch, Christ...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ewers had true freshman age and experience this year. He played like it. Don’t let that coax you into the stupidity you’re currently espousing. He’s got a lot to like and a lot you can’t teach. Biggest leaps for players happen between their freshman and sophomore years. 

Let’s not forget that Sam Ehlinger was absolute trash as a freshman. The great Westlake savior never had a game worth lauding during his freshman season. He looked like the same shit to start the sophomore season and then a light went on for the TCU game and he ended up being a praiseworthy UT standout. I said the guy was a loser before that TCU game and all I had was history on my side. Didn’t matter and he went on to bigger and better and I inevitably have a Westlake honk reference that post as though it is fresh or unaddressed about every 6 weeks as a byproduct.  

Not expecting Ewers to develop and be far better next year doesn’t make any sense. 

Apologies if you’ve already mentioned it, but is there any scuttlebutt around QE’s work ethic?

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ewers had true freshman age and experience this year. He played like it. Don’t let that coax you into the stupidity you’re currently espousing. He’s got a lot to like and a lot you can’t teach. Biggest leaps for players happen between their freshman and sophomore years. 

Let’s not forget that Sam Ehlinger was absolute trash as a freshman. The great Westlake savior never had a game worth lauding during his freshman season. He looked like the same shit to start the sophomore season and then a light went on for the TCU game and he ended up being a praiseworthy UT standout. I said the guy was a loser before that TCU game and all I had was history on my side. Didn’t matter and he went on to bigger and better and I inevitably have a Westlake honk reference that post as though it is fresh or unaddressed about every 6 weeks as a byproduct.  

Not expecting Ewers to develop and be far better next year doesn’t make any sense. 

This coming from a guy who said Sam was a meathead and all that back then. Quinn doesn't have Sam's leadership qualities or poise yet, but he has the desire to be great. Him struggling this season and having a new golden boy coming in and getting all the hype might be the best thing that happened for him and whatever ego he may have had.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Apologies if you’ve already mentioned it, but is there any scuttlebutt around QE’s work ethic?

Yeah, anyone saying the guy doesn’t put in the work or care is full of shit, last I heard. I’ll ask again soon enough. The guy is not a problem inside the program. He’s an idiot on the field at times, but like we discussed, he’s young and inexperienced. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This coming from a guy who said Sam was a meathead and all that back then. Quinn doesn't have Sam's leadership qualities or poise yet, but he has the desire to be great. Him struggling this season and having a new golden boy coming in and getting all the hype might be the best thing that happened for him and whatever ego he may have had.

How do you know this? 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

No. Sark's reputation is built in no small part on his QB development track record. Throwing up the white flag on Ewers after three quarters of a true freshman season, with the talent he brings to the table and the flashes he did show, would create more questions than answers. Sark has to show he can get results out of a prospect like Ewers, otherwise the entire concept he's selling on the offensive side of the ball looks like a farce.

Also, if Arch had a different last name, no one in their right mind would be looking to a freshman that will face a competitive learning curve out of the LA private school circuit to be the immediate savior at the QB position. Can we stop this? Like Ewers, Arch is going to need to grow into the job. The Mannings seem to know this better than fans do, thankfully.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

No. Sark's reputation is built in no small part on his QB development track record. Throwing up the white flag on Ewers after three quarters of a true freshman season, with the talent he brings to the table and the flashes he did show, would create more questions than answers. Sark has to show he can get results out of a prospect like Ewers, otherwise the entire concept he's selling on the offensive side of the ball looks like a farce.

Also, if Arch had a different last name, no one in their right mind would be looking to a freshman that will face a competitive learning curve out of the LA private school circuit to be the immediate savior at the QB position. Can we stop this? Like Ewers, Arch is going to need to grow into the job. The Mannings seem to know this better than fans do, thankfully.

Well, I never suggested Arch should be starting next year. So tell those voices in your head to stop making up arguments that have not be introduced in this thread. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Our expectations should be playing for the Big 12 title game at minimum. We are putting all eggs in the Ewers basket with different team expectations than what we were expecting during Ehlinger’s sophomore year. I really don’t want to hear excuses if we lose to Alabama or any other team in the first half of the year because of youth at a key position in year three of Sark’s tenure. 

27 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Well, I never suggested Arch should be starting next year. So tell those voices in your head to stop making up arguments that have not be introduced in this thread. 

You floated the idea of a one year rental to bridge the gap to Arch... When he would be a RS Freshman. We just watched another highly touted RS Freshman take his lumps. Arch is probably going to take his in his first year as a starter. Should Texas look elsewhere after that? The entire point is that kind of thinking is just enabling the cycle to repeat itself. 

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This. Ewers had some very disappointing tendencies and trends towards the end of the season. That said, forcing him to pass 50 times (OSU) and keeping him in the game (TCU) while he was clearly mentally rattled is 100% on Sark. This was a complete game day decision making failure, especially considering the running back talent available this season.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 2

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

What a fucking pathetic post. “We didn’t beat anyone with a pulse”. We beat a Kansas State team who is about to be ranked top 10 in the country ON THE ROAD. There is 1 or 2 home losses TOTAL for teams in the top 10 and the university of Texas is responsible for one.

What about today made you feel worse? Was it Ohio State losing the first time they played a team who could throw a forward pass after their previous 11 opponents had a combined 61-65 record ? Or was it #5 LSU, whose second best win after beating Bama is mediocre Mississippi fucking State, losing to a sorry A&M team? Or was it pastor Dabo continuing his slow decline by refusing to adapt? Or I bet it was watching darling Oregon piss away their hopes and dreams against Oregon State. 

Please tell us more about how today’s slate of college football spelled doom for the future of Texas.

We saw most of the traditional powers over the last decade take one to the knee cap yesterday and through the year. Parity is coming faster than we would have expected since the handful of teams that were paying players have lost their schematic advantage. Too bad Bama couldn’t lose but they are declining.

OU went 6-6 and appears to have hired a coach on par with our latest hires or worse and aggy managed to go 5-7 after laughing at us for that record all off season.

Regardless of your opinion on Sark (I’m waiting for next year to decide) yesterday was a major win for programs like Texas that can now stockpile talent by paying players. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

You floated the idea of a one year rental to bridge the gap to Arch... When he would be a RS Freshman. We just watched another highly touted RS Freshman take his lumps. Arch is probably going to take his in his first year as a starter. Should Texas look elsewhere after that? The entire point is that kind of thinking is just enabling the cycle to repeat itself. 

Arch will be a real redshirt freshman though- 2 springs and a full on season watching, observing and developing. That’s different than the bullshit scenario Ewers created for himself. 
Plenty of redshirt freshmen with 2 springs on campus have been really good in that red shirt freshman year- especially if they have a quality line and skill position players like Arch should have. 
He also could end up getting his feet wet a little bit and still redshirt next year (not that the redshirt matters for a guy not going to be on campus 5 years, but whatever). 

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Exactly. 

Cycling immediately to the new freshmen qb when your sophomore qb struggles is what aggies do and it has been a source of ridicule from us for the past decade. 

Yet here we are with our own fan base asking for the same fucking thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Exactly. 

Cycling immediately to the new freshmen qb when your sophomore qb struggles is what aggies do and it has been a source of ridicule from us for the past decade. 

Yet here we are with our own fan base asking for the same fucking thing.

Worked out well for OU last year 

This team could (not should) have gone 12-0 that they did not falls on QB health and QB vs RB usage and are directly problems the head coach should solve for.

I was pretty much done with Sark when he kept running terrified Card out there to keep getting his ass kicked against Arkansas until the game was completely out of reach.

Maybe one day we will have so much talent everywhere that Sark cannot fuck it up but we are not there which is why we are headed to the Alamo Bowl and not playing for jack shit in a year that OU goes 6-6, A&M goes 5-7, and TCU is poised to steal our lunch money.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, markstanco said:

This. No matter, what has happened has happened. He is obviously the flavor of the month with opposing fans. Happens every year. Tom Herman says hello.

Yeah it’s hard for me to think that Sonny Dykes would have taken our 2021 roster, without Xavier Worthy, and accomplished any more than Sark did (maybe he beats Kansas). Nor that he would have had us better positioned going into Year 3. Maybe Dykes really has turned a corner as a coach and program builder and TCU runs shit for the next decade, but I’ll choose to believe this season was a miracle and not sustainable greatness. That can be said without discounting a great year by them so far, one that we all wish could have happened here. Fuck them and Sonny Dykes, respectfully.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Yeah it’s hard for me to think that Sonny Dykes would have taken our 2021 roster, without Xavier Worthy, and accomplished any more than Sark did (maybe he beats Kansas). Nor that he would have had us better positioned going into Year 3. Maybe Dykes really has turned a corner as a coach and program builder and TCU runs shit for the next decade, but I’ll choose to believe this season was a miracle and not sustainable greatness. That can be said without discounting a great year by them so far, one that we all wish could have happened here. Fuck them and Sonny Dykes, respectfully.

Dykes took a 5-7 team to 12-0 TBD in year one. Sark took a 7-3 team to 5-7 year one. 

Maybe winning is really really hard at Texas. Harder than TCU obviously.

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

Dykes took a 5-7 team to 12-0 TBD in year one. Sark took a 7-3 team to 5-7 year one. 

Maybe winning is really really hard at Texas. Harder than TCU obviously.

A huge part of coaching is recruiting. A coach who proves he can win as long as someone else evaluates the talent isn't a good long term solution.