This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

He took a 4-8 Louisiana Tech team to 5-7 in year one.

He took a 3-9 Cal team to 1-11 in year one.

He took a 7-6 SMU team to 5-7 in year one.

I took FIU to the national championship my first year in NCAA 14.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
This was on Heisman difficulty too!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Doesn't change what I said, Arch gets 4 games to preserve redshirt. I'm sure in some games Charles Wright or Maalik will get reps

Fucking major lulz to see us roll Charles f'n Wright out there for half a season if ewers gets an injury that knocks him out for the year early in the season.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

He also decided his best bet at QB was a first time starter when he had a six yr starting senior, now likely heisman finalist as a backup QB going into the season.

He fell into utilizing one of the best QBs in college football this year because of injury to his chosen starter.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

He also decided his best bet at QB was a first time starter when he had a six yr starting senior, now likely heisman finalist as a backup QB going into the season.

He fell into utilizing one of the best QBs in college football this year because of injury to his chosen starter.

Max Duggan is a Heisman finalist? If that is true no one should even try to win that stupid trophy anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Pimphand said:

This team could (not should) have gone 12-0 that they did not falls on QB health and QB vs RB usage and are directly problems the head coach should solve for.

I was pretty much done with Sark when he kept running terrified Card out there to keep getting his ass kicked against Arkansas until the game was completely out of reach.

Maybe one day we will have so much talent everywhere that Sark cannot fuck it up but we are not there which is why we are headed to the Alamo Bowl and not playing for jack shit in a year that OU goes 6-6, A&M goes 5-7, and TCU is poised to steal our lunch money.

I like how you gave Sark until the second game of year 1. That's peak Surly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I wanted to take a break from this thread as it’s gone off rails but I want to be sure I have this right.  We’re pissing on a guy who is about to take tcu to the playoffs in part because Sark has won two in a row vs 6-6 teams?

He should probably prove he can win consistently with his guys and not a bunch of upperclassmen he inherited from Gary P before he’s anointed the guy we missed/should have hired that we will regret for years to come 

TCU is seasoned and veteran and was lucky as fuck that kept knocking out starting QBs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Max Duggan is a Heisman finalist? If that is true no one should even try to win that stupid trophy anymore. 

He probably should be.  At the end of the day all he did was play winning football in the 4th quarter all season long.   If we had similar consistency we are probably 11-1 with sole loss being the officiating screwjob against Alabama.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

51F0EDA9-7F8D-4B82-BF8E-F5DC39EF5C38.jpeg.4841fd7159da3489ab1a564c6cda13f0.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He should probably prove he can win consistently with his guys and not a bunch of upperclassmen he inherited from Gary P before he’s anointed the guy we missed/should have hired that we will regret for years to come 

TCU is seasoned and veteran and was lucky as fuck that kept knocking out starting QBs

I don’t see anyone who WANTED to hire Sonny Dykes in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I wanted to take a break from this thread as it’s gone off rails but I want to be sure I have this right.  We’re pissing on a guy who is about to take tcu to the playoffs in part because Sark has won two in a row vs 6-6 teams?

I thought we wanted to hire Sonny at one point and he told us to fuck off? Maybe that was just to be OC or something.

Anyway good for Sonny and TCU. But TCU and Baylor doing really well isn't some new thing. They are the two programs in Texas that actually win stuff while Tech, Texas, and A&M trip over themselves on an annual basis.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

This both coaches had terrible resumes. So while we were deciding between them after getting turned down by Urban other programs a year later made real big boy moves.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I thought we wanted to hire Sonny at one point and he told us to fuck off? Maybe that was just to be OC or something.

Anyway good for Sonny and TCU. But TCU and Baylor doing really well isn't some new thing. They are the two programs in Texas that actually win stuff while Tech, Texas, and A&M trip over themselves on an annual basis.

You’re thinking of Sonny Cumbie, who would’ve been a bad hire anyways. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

He probably should be.  At the end of the day all he did was play winning football in the 4th quarter all season long.   If we had similar consistency we are probably 11-1 with sole loss being the officiating screwjob against Alabama.

No probably to it. Completed 70% of his passes, 3100 yards, 29/3. For the 3rd ranked team in country. That 4Q performance against Baylor game was outstanding. All of TCU's weapons were on the bench and Duggan made every play, run or throw to give them a chance to win the game. He wasn't going to let TCU lose, and they didn't.

Williams is the best player in the country. Duggan will finish as runnerup for the Trophy, top 3 worse. And it's deserved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I’ve read on here that we went with sark because of eltife.  I don’t think Dykes would turn us down

CDC was talking up Dykes and Franklin. It was discussed contemporaneously on this board in the Urban Meyer thread and the later confirmed by $9.95ers long after the fact when the dust had settled. CDC wasn't taken seriously during the process because of shit like that. He also balked at letting Meyer have his own AD for football, understandably but critically. 

The BOR and BMDs wanted Meyer, then Kelly, and then jumped on the rebound girl, Seven Win Steve. Love it or hate it, but that's always been the word on it all went down.

Credit to Sonny Dykes for what he's done at TCU in year 1. It's pretty stunning, but it's also very reminiscent of the run Mel Tucker and MSU had last year, in which they won a lot of very close games in the fourth quarter. That shit is very hard to replicate or repeat.

Maybe Sonny Dykes runs the table this year. Good for him and TCU if so. I'd trade a title run for a future repeat of the last 13 years, personally, so I have zero shit to talk about something crazy like that happening. 

Maybe Dykes and TCU get run over in the playoffs as many here are predicting. I don't know if that would shock me, but I view that as less likely than TCU continuing to play at a high enough level to play with and even beat any of the other teams left in the CFP. People just handing the trophy to Georgia again are being presumptuous. 

Regardless, I don't see him or TCU sniffing an opportunity again like this any time in the vaguely near future. They're going to lose a ton of talent, including Duggan, and Dykes doing it all again with a new cast recruited by his staff seems far-fetched given his history. I wasn't a fan of the Sarkisian hire, or the Herman hire for that matter, but I would have straight up vomited had Dykes been the guy. If given the choice right now for who is coaching Texas in 2023 between Sonny Dykes and Steve Sarkisian, I guess I would flip a fucking coin and kick my neighbor's dog. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see Sark making this work, unless he relinquishes his sorry-ass clutch on the OC job and gets a real QB whisperer and play-caller. It took him 23 games to figure out that he had not one, but two, all-america caliber running backs to lean on, every game. The last 22 plays of the regular season, he either finally got it or someone told him he would be de-scrotified if he called even one pass play in the endgame.

Besides the insistence on being OC and play-caller, he hadn't seemed to grasp that his job - his main job, perhaps his only real job - is to win the game he's playing, right here, right now. He has left both Card and Ewers in games when it was clear they were hosed, apparently for future growth. Perhaps an indication of his love for the players and their tender psyches, but equally possibly simply mindless stubbornness. Whatever the problem is, I don't think it will get fixed short of a very, very good OC. I still like the idea of Riley Minor. Of course, as always, YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CDC ... balked at letting Meyer have his own AD for football, understandably but critically. 

Been going to mention this again for awhile now, just not gotten around to it.

My take on the Urban courtship started when one of my BIL (a TCU BMD - not sure how big, but he wrote more than one check with two commas on it, fwiw) told me after a Tech game in Lubbock where he spent some time talking with a friend who is/was a UT big dog told him that Texas was pulling out all the stops to get Urban and that they were not going to be denying anything Urban asked for. I took that as gospel, even as all sorts of weird shit went on for the next several weeks, through Signing day and running into the CFP. And then... poof! I don't recall much of an explanation at the time, but it has since come out that BIL's friend was wrong - there was something Urban wanted, we denied it, he said it was non-negotiable, and it turned out that he wasn't kidding. Gotta wonder if CDC swings a big enough dick to break that deal, but the outcome seems to indicate that he does. Maybe next time...

10 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Been going to mention this again for awhile now, just not gotten around to it.

My take on the Urban courtship started when one of my BIL (a TCU BMD - not sure how big, but he wrote more than one check with two commas on it, fwiw) told me after a Tech game in Lubbock where he spent some time talking with a friend who is/was a UT big dog told him that Texas was pulling out all the stops to get Urban and that they were not going to be denying anything Urban asked for. I took that as gospel, even as all sorts of weird shit went on for the next several weeks, through Signing day and running into the CFP. And then... poof! I don't recall much of an explanation at the time, but it has since come out that BIL's friend was wrong - there was something Urban wanted, we denied it, he said it was non-negotiable, and it turned out that he wasn't kidding. Gotta wonder if CDC swings a big enough dick to break that deal, but the outcome seems to indicate that he does. Maybe next time...

Meyer allegedly wanted two things on unconditional terms:

1) the ability to build his own infrastructure on the administrative side of things

2) funding to play the bag game

In his final discussion around the premise of taking the job, he walked the people in the room/on the zoom through the state of affairs in recruiting at that point in time. He told them that if Texas didn't put itself forward to do what was necessary on that front, and he told them Texas was starting flat-footed, then Texas would never land the talent necessary again to win at the highest level. Folks were shocked at both the brazenness in which it was discussed and that it was actually viewed that way by an industry leader. It was eye-opening.

Texas walked away having failed to confirm to Meyer that he could build his own infrastructure or that they'd let him play the bag game. In hindsight, it seems like it was pretty easy for Meyer to punt on the deal and wait for something "better". 

NIL has, of course, forced UT's patrician hand, thankfully. That considered, the inertia within the big money realm for UT NIL is legit. There's a ton of "really? this is what needs to be done?" and disbelief that needs to be cut through. That kind of work takes a while.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

CDC was talking up Dykes and Franklin. It was discussed contemporaneously on this board in the Urban Meyer thread and the later confirmed by $9.95ers long after the fact when the dust had settled. CDC wasn't taken seriously during the process because of shit like that. He also balked at letting Meyer have his own AD for football, understandably but critically. 

The BOR and BMDs wanted Meyer, then Kelly, and then jumped on the rebound girl, Seven Win Steve. Love it or hate it, but that's always been the word on it all went down.

Credit to Sonny Dykes for what he's done at TCU in year 1. It's pretty stunning, but it's also very reminiscent of the run Mel Tucker and MSU had last year, in which they won a lot of very close games in the fourth quarter. That shit is very hard to replicate or repeat.

Maybe Sonny Dykes runs the table this year. Good for him and TCU if so. I'd trade a title run for a future repeat of the last 13 years, personally, so I have zero shit to talk about something crazy like that happening. 

Maybe Dykes and TCU get run over in the playoffs as many here are predicting. I don't know if that would shock me, but I view that as less likely than TCU continuing to play at a high enough level to play with and even beat any of the other teams left in the CFP. People just handing the trophy to Georgia again are being presumptuous. 

Regardless, I don't see him or TCU sniffing an opportunity again like this any time in the vaguely near future. They're going to lose a ton of talent, including Duggan, and Dykes doing it all again with a new cast recruited by his staff seems far-fetched given his history. I wasn't a fan of the Sarkisian hire, or the Herman hire for that matter, but I would have straight up vomited had Dykes been the guy. If given the choice right now for who is coaching Texas in 2023 between Sonny Dykes and Steve Sarkisian, I guess I would flip a fucking coin and kick my neighbor's dog. 

AHEM!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s funny to see stuff like this because you would think we had Bijan Robinson sitting on the sideline all game next to DJ Monroe, then you realize Robinson led the entire country in all-purpose yards this year.

Too bad it wasn't all-purpose winning. Maybe if we just took off a few carries or targets from the RBs and let QB1 or QB2 throw another eight or ten incompletions?

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meyer allegedly wanted two things on unconditional terms:

1) the ability to build his own infrastructure on the administrative side of things

2) funding to play the bag game

In his final discussion around the premise of taking the job, he walked the people in the room/on the zoom through the state of affairs in recruiting at that point in time. He told them that if Texas didn't put itself forward to do what was necessary on that front, and he told them Texas was starting flat-footed, then Texas would never land the talent necessary again to win at the highest level. Folks were shocked at both the brazenness in which it was discussed and that it was actually viewed that way by an industry leader. It was eye-opening.

Texas walked away having failed to confirm to Meyer that he could build his own infrastructure or that they'd let him play the bag game. In hindsight, it seems like it was pretty easy for Meyer to punt on the deal and wait for something "better". 

NIL has, of course, forced UT's patrician hand, thankfully. That considered, the inertia within the big money realm for UT NIL is legit. There's a ton of "really? this is what needs to be done?" and disbelief that needs to be cut through. That kind of work takes a while.

I took the recruiting - gaming - payola as being a given for any coach worthy of being hired at a major player. It's a bit surprising that admin/BMD would even consider balking at discussing the matter at all, at all. No sensible coach would allow the school to stick knowledge of, much less participation in, any even slightly  unsavory activity in the coach's files. But, yeah, I see it as part of the build your own internal o-chart with suitable patsies in place, just in case something comes out, for which you wouldn't want to have to take responsibility. 

If this was the Pope 'splaining it as a duality, fine, but I still see it as a single issue. I was -and am - surprised to find that the clean hands patrol is peopled by such short-sighted individuals.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, BERT said:

AHEM!!

Interestingly enough, if you disregard his 3-2 record in 2015 when he drank himself out of his job, Sark's win tally in his 8 full seasons is currently 56-44.

With a strong bowl performance, we can upgrade to "7.125 Win Steve" 

Exciting times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1