This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Interestingly enough, if you disregard his 3-2 record in 2015 when he drank himself out of his job, Sark's win tally in his 8 full seasons is currently 56-44.

With a strong bowl performance, we can upgrade to "7.125 Win Steve" 

Exciting times. 

Sure thing

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I don't see Sark making this work

Depends mainly on if the improvement the defense showed wasn't a mirage. If they play great next year then suddenly Sark's position looks really different. But I am skeptical that will continue. Coaches in the Big 12 are pretty good at ripping your defense apart once they have enough film and a lot can change over an offseason. But we'll see.

It took him 23 games to figure out that he had not one, but two, all-america caliber running backs to lean on, every game. The last 22 plays of the regular season, he either finally got it or someone told him he would be de-scrotified if he called even one pass play in the endgame.

Um he ran the fuck out of both of those guys the last two years. But there is more to running the ball than just having running backs. You need blockers who can clear the way. Currently we aren't physically dominant up front to just be one dimensional against everybody. TCU had us locked down. Now some have argued we just should have rammed into the purple brickwall over and over and maybe it would have crumbled. Maybe. 

I just don't think running the ball over and over again without any variation is a viable strategy to a championship in today's game. You have to pass, or at least have the other team worried about you passing. 

I have no reason to think that Brooks and Blue will be a serious drop off after Roschon and Bijan next season and the line will hopefully be better. And surely the passing game has got to get better. 

My problem with writing off Sark this early is that his first two teams were very flawed personnel wise with exploitable weaknesses. Now granted I don't think we were 5-7 bad last year...but there are signs that maybe things might work out if he keeps recruiting strong.

Or it might all fall apart and Sark sucks and on to the next chump. That is the expected outcome based on past results for this program. But hey we'll see. At least our basketball team is good.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn't a fan of the Sarkisian hire, or the Herman hire for that matter, but I would have straight up vomited had Dykes been the guy. If given the choice right now for who is coaching Texas in 2023 between Sonny Dykes and Steve Sarkisian, I guess I would flip a fucking coin and kick my neighbor's dog. 

My reaction to hiring Sarkisian was one of stunned disbelief. Had we hired Dykes, it would have been one of stunned disbelief.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I bet Loop 1604 feels terrible now.

Not really. I don’t need internet cred to feel good every day while agreeing with the surly hivemind.

I hope I’m dead wrong about Sark. Really doesn’t matter since I don’t make any decisions regarding his tenure. Thank God it’s basketball season. 

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

My reaction to hiring Sarkisian was one of stunned disbelief. Had we hired Dykes, it would have been one of stunned disbelief.

One of my good friends called me the night before the Sarkisian hire was announced. He'd been adamant for weeks that the Sarkisian rumors were bullshit. 

Friend: "Hey man, it looks like it is actually going to be Steve Sarkisian. "

Me: "You are being trolled, or you are just fucking with me."

Friend: "No, man, I've checked in 3 places now. It's him unless I am really being fucked with for no reason."

Me: "..."

Friend: "The more I've thought about it, the more I am starting to really like it. Think about it this way ..."

Me: "Hey man, shut the fuck up. I don't need rationalizations right now. This is a terrible fucking hire and you know it. Jesus. There's no way this is true. None. I refuse to believe it."

Friend: "Ok, man, well, I have other calls to make. Time to start selling it it yourself."

I hung up the phone and took my wife and kids to dinner and convinced myself that there was no fucking way. The next day Herman was fired and Sarkisian was hired, from a public announcement perspective, within like 20 minutes of each other. I am still in stunned disbelief. But, hey, I'm hoping 2023 is the big year. Got to close well with SD1 and Portal Cycle 1, for sure. Hope is now my strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I didn’t want Dykes either. Nothing personal. I think he deserves all the accolades for taking a team that was a bottom dweller in the Big12 last year and bringing in phenomenal coordinators. It will be hard to keep Riley. My question really is a hypothetical: if Dykes had been hired bringing in the same staff, are we sitting on a perfect regular season with a chance to not only win the Big12 but positioned to be in the CFP? That’s my question. TCU needed to hit the reset button on Patterson. Whether it was ennui or whatever was going on they needed a spark. The team has bought in. Dykes is a dynamic personality and I’m sure a great recruiter and well liked and all that. He’s only as good though as his coordinators and he has a gem in Riley. But we see teams in the NFL do this all the time: go all in on what they have because they believe they are close enough. And then in year 3 all the wheels come off the wagon. But they can and have won MNC with that philosophy. No one can truly answer whether Dykes could have come in here and done that with Texas this year. But it’s still food for thought. 

PS—with our RB tandem (dare I say damn close to a Priest Holmes and Ricky tandem—-not as good mind you—-but damn close) I would have liked to see what Riley and Dykes could have done with it this year. Maybe they’ll make a video game…

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of my good friends called me the night before the Sarkisian hire was announced. He'd been adamant for weeks that the Sarkisian rumors were bullshit. 

Friend: "Hey man, it looks like it is actually going to be Steve Sarkisian. "

Me: "You are being trolled, or you are just fucking with me."

Friend: "No, man, I've checked in 3 places now. It's him unless I am really being fucked with for no reason."

Me: "..."

Friend: "The more I've thought about it, the more I am starting to really like it. Think about it this way ..."

Me: "Hey man, shut the fuck up. I don't need rationalizations right now. This is a terrible fucking hire and you know it. Jesus. There's no way this is true. None. I refuse to believe it."

Friend: "Ok, man, well, I have other calls to make. Time to start selling it it yourself."

My friends immediately started the rationalizations. My only rationalization (to myself) was, "At least it isn't James Franklin." We're all still holding our dicks.

I'm still in stunned disbelief. I absolutely loathe the administration of this program over the course of my lifetime. We're driving a Ferrari with a Yugo carburetor regulating the fuel distribution. "All gas!"

On 11/26/2022 at 10:03 AM, lilMAC25 said:

Im personally pretty high on Brooks. Kid can tote the rock. Not sure about pass blocking or blitz pickup.

I do not know either but, he stood up a linebacker on one of the last three plays. He also works hard on special teams. I think we got a good one.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If in fact Urban's "bag money" ultimatum is true, then I'm glad things worked out the way they did.  What we're doing with NIL is above board.  Move on.

NIL wasn't really a thing during these negotiations so bag money was the go to for schools at the time. NIL now is changing things.

Having Urban unify the NIL the way it should be would be sick, especially since he knows the other game.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

NIL wasn't really a thing during these negotiations so bag money was the go to for schools at the time. NIL now is changing things.

Uh, that's my point.  We avoided the explicit bag money demands, and were relieved of that burden by NIL.

No school will be able to compete with us when we combine NIL + regional recruiting base.  It's a new era.

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If in fact Urban's "bag money" ultimatum is true, then I'm glad things worked out the way they did.  What we're doing with NIL is above board.  Move on.

Do you remember the outcry that occurred when NIL was announced and the AD was caught completely flat-footed?

Do you think that would have happened with Urban in charge?

GTFO if you’re happy we didn’t get Urban. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Uh, that's my point.  We avoided the explicit bag money demands, and were relieved of that burden by NIL.

No school will be able to compete with us when we combine NIL + regional recruiting base.  It's a new era.

You don’t have a point. Just like we don’t have Urban Meyer as our head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

How are we doing with NIL at this point?

I can guarantee you we'd be further along than we currently are with Urban at the helm. We also wouldn't have had to rely on guys like CTJ, Imma, Sydney, RGB3, and others to pretty much show the university how this shit needs to be done.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can guarantee you we'd be further along than we currently are with Urban at the helm. We also wouldn't have had to rely on guys like CTJ, Imma, Sydney, RGB3, and others to pretty much show the university how this shit needs to be done.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Lol

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I guess some people just aren't as Machiavellian as others.  Carry on.

Translation:  fuck no to Urban Meyer, and I said it then. I care about my degree.

wtf does a football coach have to do with your degree? absolutely fucking nothing. You'd be lined up getting your national championship memorabilia if he won one at texas. so stfu with all this muh degree will not be tarnished by the football program shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

wtf does a football coach have to do with your degree? absolutely fucking nothing. You'd be lined up getting your national championship memorabilia if he won one at texas. so stfu with all this muh degree will not be tarnished by the football program shit.

Count me in with @jimmyjazz. I don't want him here. I struggled with the way Nick Saban conducted business with grey-shirting, but this guy is a little much for me. This is "Bayloresque" in my eyes. I wanna win the right way. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Nick Saban built a juggernaut at Alabama by cheating his face off. Once the trophies started piling up, so too did the applications to the school, allowing Alabama to select a higher tier of student. The perceived value of that diploma went up, not down.

So yeah, fuck yo diploma, Jimmy.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Nick Saban built a juggernaut at Alabama by cheating his face off. Once the trophies started piling up, so too did the applications to the school, allowing Alabama to select a higher tier of student. The perceived value of that diploma went up, not down.

So yeah, fuck yo diploma, Jimmy.

Yeah @jimmyjazz you pickled chin ass boy

1 hour ago, Loop 1604 said:

Not really. I don’t need internet cred to feel good every day while agreeing with the surly hivemind.

I hope I’m dead wrong about Sark. Really doesn’t matter since I don’t make any decisions regarding his tenure. Thank God it’s basketball season. 

Every time you post you make yourself seem dumber. Acting like people are disagreeing with you because you don't think Sarkisian is the answer might be a necessary coping mechanism, but everyone else realizes people don't have an issue with that opinion. It's prevalent on this board and for good reason. 

So when you get blasted for stupid posts and exchanges like

You:  "The Big 12 sucked this year"

Posters with supporting factual evidence: "No it didn't, here's proof"

You: "OH GREAT THE HIVE MIND CABAL HAS SPOKEN I GUESS Y'ALL ARE RIGHT THE BIG 12 WAS GREAT SO OBVIOUSLY WE'RE GOING UNDEFEATED NEXT YEAR AND EVERYONE THINKS I'M DUMB BECAUSE THEY ALL THINK SARKISIAN IS GREAT"

and then keep digging in, be aware that the only person you're fooling is yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Color me shocked that other people don't agree with me.  I do believe I will continue to sleep well at night, knowing my alma mater isn't the biggest whore on the block.

Nobody is knocking off South Austin's mom from that position. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Final negative is that it is early in all of this. It's been hard to organize everything and Texas NIL has been a leader on that. Beyond that, building sustainability and understanding what is transitory and what is here to say puts risk on all decisions for people involved on both the NIL and the program level for each school. Having some real imbeciles sprint out there and do some stupid shit already makes building something long term harder at this stage. 

I find it hard to believe that UT's appetite for football, desire to be taken seriously as an academic institution, massive monetary resources, and fertile recruiting base won't ultimately coalesce on an NIL solution that will place us in the top 1-3 football programs in the country over the long haul.  NIL was our "get out of jail free card".  If we fuck this up, it's all on us.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

*Regarding Oregon, Knight carved off Nike talent like 18 months ahead of 7/1/21. He gave them a giant budget and told them to figure it all out, asap. They have endless resources and brain power with access to massive corporate NIL. No one is going to beat Oregon. The only things that can beat Oregon are rain, travel to Eugene, OR, and the PacWhatever disaster. Fuck us all if they wind up in the Big 10. 

Are they setup to sustain once Phil passes?

Are they setup to sustain once Phil passes?

I haven't checked Nike's stock value or Forbes' billionaire tracker lately, but the guy is worth like $60B last time I did read something. He could leave 1% of that to the Oregon NIL efforts and they'd have the cadillac of NIL programs for the next century. Rumor is he's leaving way more than that to UO sports interests, and I assume NIL is part of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I haven't checked Nike's stock value or Forbes' billionaire tracker lately, but the guy is worth like $60B last time I did read something. He could leave 1% of that to the Oregon NIL efforts and they'd have the cadillac of NIL programs for the next century. Rumor is he's leaving way more than that to UO sports interests, and I assume NIL is part of it. 

Gotcha, I figured that may be the case.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think it's a mixed bag, if you want a serious answer. 

On the positive side, Texas NIL is organized about as well as any school's program can be, setting aside Oregon*. In addition, non-football programs are funded or getting funded in ways that will be difficult for more than 1-3 other programs to match or beat, per sport. That includes men's basketball (Kentucky and a few others will be who UT competes for players from an NIL perspective at UT's level - not saying UT is on UK's level in performance or tradition, just talking NIL) and baseball (LSU is emphasizing baseball this go-round and has built a super team with it, but there is doubt that they can sustain the absurd shit they've been doing, and Texas' foundation will be able to ascend towards matching even theirs over time). 

On the positive side for football specifically, it's already given birth to significant fruit from last cycle to now. There's a baseline for positions that aren't established at other programs and Texas One Fund is just getting going. Programs like Burnt Ends, whatever shit anyone wants to talk, are significant. As an adder to the TE baseline, there may not be another program like it nationally and, last I heard, it was growing daily. 

Also on the positive side, UT athletes are already getting tapped for corporate NIL opportunities that few other programs are seeing, and that will only grow, especially if UT gets back to being a top 10 yearly program. 

Also also on the positive side, CDC and the LHF have embraced NIL as the way of the future based on feedback from their own coaches. Every coach on campus has reinforced what we've been saying for almost 2 years - NIL has become the single biggest factor for athletes. In many cases, it's just a leveling of the playing field so then coaches have to compete for a recruit based on crazy old school shit like development, tradition, starting opportunity, how many people are being put into the pros, etc. In other cases, it's the only thing someone cares about and they're looking to get paid as much as they can from the place they've either grown up liking or the place they enjoyed most on a visit. 

Negative side is pretty basic. One negative is that the big, big money is still moving at a snail's pace in many instances and for various reasons. For one, suddenly paying players when they've been beaten up about never, ever doing so has been a jolt. For others, they're just careful with what they commit to with their millions, which folks should understand. Still others are trying to understand what's in it for them. That can be criticized, but altruism is more often a fantasy than reality. I've seen what is as close to altruism as one can get in something like this and it's not easy, and it's hard to expect others to feel the same. Also, some folks don't actually care about winning if they're getting names on buildings and access to celebrities and athletes for pictures and bragging rights. 

Also negative is that people have the misconception that Texas NIL is dripping in money. That's not the case. It's a work-in-progress and nothing is even close to being at a level of endowed yet. Donors of all levels are needed, and in some cases, urgently.

Another negative is that NIL has enabled big game hunting for even little programs. Stacking a ton of chips and then pushing them in for one difference maker is a way that many schools are going to approach this thing. That makes this harder for the bigger programs who will always be net winners, but not always on a case by case basis. 

Final negative is that it is early in all of this. It's been hard to organize everything and Texas NIL has been a leader on that. Beyond that, building sustainability and understanding what is transitory and what is here to say puts risk on all decisions for people involved on both the NIL and the program level for each school. Having some real imbeciles sprint out there and do some stupid shit already makes building something long term harder at this stage. 

---

*Regarding Oregon, Knight carved off Nike talent like 18 months ahead of 7/1/21. He gave them a giant budget and told them to figure it all out, asap. They have endless resources and brain power with access to massive corporate NIL. No one is going to beat Oregon. The only things that can beat Oregon are rain, travel to Eugene, OR, and the PacWhatever disaster. Fuck us all if they wind up in the Big 10. 

Not that this needs validation in any way but this is a perfect 1000 foot view of everything. Texas one fund was a fucking giant leap for us and a giant monkey off my back. Being able to have the LHF and CDC helping push us forward into the NIL space instead of literally my dumb ass as well as other dumb asses on Surly alone was just a massive step. 

another point of emphasis I’d say is the need for the bumper sticker guy. There are so many douche bags on Twitter pumping their chests about Texas NIL and our boosters…we need the little dude too. That’s why burnt ends works. There are 100k plus people in DKR on saturdays, if we could just have everyone in there give us $10 per game it would fund texas one fund for footballs baseline. NIL isn’t just a boosters game

Gotcha, I figured that may be the case.

Were you going to hire a hit man?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Not that this needs validation in any way but this is a perfect 1000 foot view of everything. Texas one fund was a fucking giant leap for us and a giant monkey off my back. Being able to have the LHF and CDC helping push us forward into the NIL space instead of literally my dumb ass as well as other dumb asses on Surly alone was just a massive step. 

another point of emphasis I’d say is the need for the bumper sticker guy. There are so many douche bags on Twitter pumping their chests about Texas NIL and our boosters…we need the little dude too. That’s why burnt ends works. There are 100k plus people in DKR on saturdays, if we could just have everyone in there give us $10 per game it would fund texas one fund for footballs baseline. NIL isn’t just a boosters game

Were you going to hire a hit man?

image.png.b4c04fac33ea0abc96067a6a606e2461.png

I don't think one is necessary unless this mother fucker lives to 100