This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

I'm with @jimmyjazz, I no longer want any part of Urban Meyer. I was 100% in two years ago at this time, though. As much as I hate to agree with @Thatguy, Urban runs a program at a whole other level of dirty than Saban ever has. Add in his flop with Jacksonville and I'm not really sure he's got the drive to rebuild a program like Texas needed two years ago. He doesn't stay anywhere very long and left Florida in ruins when he bailed on the Gators.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I'm with @jimmyjazz, I no longer want any part of Urban Meyer. I was 100% in two years ago at this time, though. As much as I hate to agree with @Thatguy, Urban runs a program at a whole other level of dirty than Saban ever has. Add in his flop with Jacksonville and I'm not really sure he's got the drive to rebuild a program like Texas needed two years ago. He doesn't stay anywhere very long and left Florida in ruins when he bailed on the Gators.

How’d he leave OSU after winning another national championship there?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can guarantee you we'd be further along than we currently are with Urban at the helm. We also wouldn't have had to rely on guys like CTJ, Imma, Sydney, RGB3, and others to pretty much show the university how this shit needs to be done.

So we'd be handing out bags and calling it NIL like aggy?

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Pretty good shape, of course. But Day hasn't won it all and has now dropped two in a row to Michigan.

I'm admittedly pinning much of his Jacksonville/NFL failure on my current perception of him.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

*Regarding Oregon, Knight carved off Nike talent like 18 months ahead of 7/1/21. He gave them a giant budget and told them to figure it all out, asap. They have endless resources and brain power with access to massive corporate NIL. No one is going to beat Oregon. The only things that can beat Oregon are rain, travel to Eugene, OR, and the PacWhatever disaster. Fuck us all if they wind up in the Big 10. 

To me, this is the most underrated and absurd part of the NIL landscape. Literally one crazy booster can outweigh every "market-based" factor like program revenue, overall alumni wealth, corporate density, etc. And it's not like the boosters get any financial ROI either. It's like European soccer except with zero connection to revenue and without any ownership.

Phil Knight is an unsurprising first example, but at some point I'm sure another billionaire will do the same. And it could come completely out of the blue from a school like Cal or Duke. Or Elon Musk just fucking with people by building UT-RGV into a powerhouse lol

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Do you honestly think OSU is heads and tails above UT at this point?  I'm not sure I agree.  

I mean, I wouldn't want to play them tomorrow but I see different trajectories, and I'm not sure they can keep up on the $$$ front.  Maybe Nationwide and L Brands can print money like we can, but somehow I doubt it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you honestly think OSU is heads and tails above UT at this point?  I'm not sure I agree.  

I mean, I wouldn't want to play them tomorrow but I see different trajectories, and I'm not sure they can keep up on the $$$ front.  Maybe Nationwide and L Brands can print money like we can, but somehow I doubt it.

You just devalued your diploma with that post Jimmy.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

When you look at things like matched donations from a foundation and then struggling to really get burnt ends levels of participation sans match it’s eye opening how well things are going here. Burnt ends is proving how things can snowball over time as more people say fuck it and give 10/mo. 

next year we will be able to focus a lot more on burnt ends and growing it even more and doing more fun things with NIL as surly horns instead of having to be a bit cleaner and buttoned up trying to do the HWH and TexasOne stuff. 

we really want to do funny shit like promo videos, custom first down, touchdown, big block gifs that we can all spam. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes. Yes I do.

41 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

To me, this is the most underrated and absurd part of the NIL landscape. Literally one crazy booster can outweigh every "market-based" factor like program revenue, overall alumni wealth, corporate density, etc. And it's not like the boosters get any financial ROI either. It's like European soccer except with zero connection to revenue and without any ownership.

Phil Knight is an unsurprising first example, but at some point I'm sure another billionaire will do the same. And it could come completely out of the blue from a school like Cal or Duke. Or Elon Musk just fucking with people by building UT-RGV into a powerhouse lol

If only Micheal Dell gave a shit about football.

• Hook 'Em 1

Count me in with [mention=203]jimmyjazz[/mention]. I don't want him here. I struggled with the way Nick Saban conducted business with grey-shirting, but this guy is a little much for me. This is "Bayloresque" in my eyes. I wanna win the right way. 
Same. I have a High School aged kid I'm trying mold into a decent human.

I don't think Penn State or Baylor should be allowed to have Football programs- full stop.

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If only Micheal Dell gave a shit about football.

He's not oblivious to football, athletics, or NIL. I don't have anything beyond that to offer, but he's going to wind up contributing in some form, per those who are closer to it. 

That considered, Texas, being Texas, has multiple billionaires who fucking played at Texas. They have more than a handful of guys worth $100M+ that played at Texas. I'm not even talking about the guys that made millions going pro. The school has at least 10 billionaire families and over 100 worth $100M+. How many of those are interested or will help? No clue yet. Some of these guys could fund the entire setting of the floor for all of athletics with a yearly contribution that would be a small part of their yearly charitable giving. Those guys are going to be key and they're talking to folks. 

Funny thing about the former athletes, btw. Excluding a few like Durant and Clemens, there's a whole bunch of very wealthy former players who do not give to the LHF and to this day believe they got shorted versus what they gave. Texas takes care of its own and that is still a sentiment. It's at every school. Some folks are hoping that NIL helps turn the tables. These aren't a bunch of cheap bastards - their interests just need to feel aligned for them to route charitable giving from some other direction. 

It's all in its infancy everywhere still, so folks have to be methodical, tenacious, and patient on all of this, depending upon roles, including fans. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think it's a mixed bag, if you want a serious answer. 

On the positive side, Texas NIL is organized about as well as any school's program can be, setting aside Oregon*. In addition, non-football programs are funded or getting funded in ways that will be difficult for more than 1-3 other programs to match or beat, per sport. That includes men's basketball (Kentucky and a few others will be who UT competes for players from an NIL perspective at UT's level - not saying UT is on UK's level in performance or tradition, just talking NIL) and baseball (LSU is emphasizing baseball this go-round and has built a super team with it, but there is doubt that they can sustain the absurd shit they've been doing, and Texas' foundation will be able to ascend towards matching even theirs over time). 

On the positive side for football specifically, it's already given birth to significant fruit from last cycle to now. There's a baseline for positions that aren't established at other programs and Texas One Fund is just getting going. Programs like Burnt Ends, whatever shit anyone wants to talk, are significant. As an adder to the TE baseline, there may not be another program like it nationally and, last I heard, it was growing daily. 

Also on the positive side, UT athletes are already getting tapped for corporate NIL opportunities that few other programs are seeing, and that will only grow, especially if UT gets back to being a top 10 yearly program. 

Also also on the positive side, CDC and the LHF have embraced NIL as the way of the future based on feedback from their own coaches. Every coach on campus has reinforced what we've been saying for almost 2 years - NIL has become the single biggest factor for athletes. In many cases, it's just a leveling of the playing field so then coaches have to compete for a recruit based on crazy old school shit like development, tradition, starting opportunity, how many people are being put into the pros, etc. In other cases, it's the only thing someone cares about and they're looking to get paid as much as they can from the place they've either grown up liking or the place they enjoyed most on a visit. 

Negative side is pretty basic. One negative is that the big, big money is still moving at a snail's pace in many instances and for various reasons. For one, suddenly paying players when they've been beaten up about never, ever doing so has been a jolt. For others, they're just careful with what they commit to with their millions, which folks should understand. Still others are trying to understand what's in it for them. That can be criticized, but altruism is more often a fantasy than reality. I've seen what is as close to altruism as one can get in something like this and it's not easy, and it's hard to expect others to feel the same. Also, some folks don't actually care about winning if they're getting names on buildings and access to celebrities and athletes for pictures and bragging rights. 

Also negative is that people have the misconception that Texas NIL is dripping in money. That's not the case. It's a work-in-progress and nothing is even close to being at a level of endowed yet. Donors of all levels are needed, and in some cases, urgently.

Another negative is that NIL has enabled big game hunting for even little programs. Stacking a ton of chips and then pushing them in for one difference maker is a way that many schools are going to approach this thing. That makes this harder for the bigger programs who will always be net winners, but not always on a case by case basis. 

Final negative is that it is early in all of this. It's been hard to organize everything and Texas NIL has been a leader on that. Beyond that, building sustainability and understanding what is transitory and what is here to say puts risk on all decisions for people involved on both the NIL and the program level for each school. Having some real imbeciles sprint out there and do some stupid shit already makes building something long term harder at this stage. 

---

*Regarding Oregon, Knight carved off Nike talent like 18 months ahead of 7/1/21. He gave them a giant budget and told them to figure it all out, asap. They have endless resources and brain power with access to massive corporate NIL. No one is going to beat Oregon. The only things that can beat Oregon are rain, travel to Eugene, OR, and the PacWhatever disaster. Fuck us all if they wind up in the Big 10. 

I find your ideas fascinating and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Urban is a fucking idiot if he walked over that nonsense like control over some  back office choads. Instead he went to Jax and flamed out terribly and his team hated him.  Hope he has been humbled enough to accept the job in 2024 when it is offered.

We are going to steal deon from cu

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He's not oblivious to football, athletics, or NIL. I don't have anything beyond that to offer, but he's going to wind up contributing in some form, per those who are closer to it. 

That considered, Texas, being Texas, has multiple billionaires who fucking played at Texas. They have more than a handful of guys worth $100M+ that played at Texas. I'm not even talking about the guys that made millions going pro. The school has at least 10 billionaire families and over 100 worth $100M+. How many of those are interested or will help? No clue yet. Some of these guys could fund the entire setting of the floor for all of athletics with a yearly contribution that would be a small part of their yearly charitable giving. Those guys are going to be key and they're talking to folks. 

Funny thing about the former athletes, btw. Excluding a few like Durant and Clemens, there's a whole bunch of very wealthy former players who do not give to the LHF and to this day believe they got shorted versus what they gave. Texas takes care of its own and that is still a sentiment. It's at every school. Some folks are hoping that NIL helps turn the tables. These aren't a bunch of cheap bastards - their interests just need to feel aligned for them to route charitable giving from some other direction. 

It's all in its infancy everywhere still, so folks have to be methodical, tenacious, and patient on all of this, depending upon roles, including fans. 

Calling NIL charitable giving is a stretch.

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, royiv said:

Except it isn’t, when done with the established NIL 501(c)3 that works with other charities so the athletes get paid  to do good works. Maybe educate yourself at least a fucking little before stepping on your dick with a comment like this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Except it isn’t, when done with the established NIL 501(c)3 that works with other charities so the athletes get paid  to do good works. Maybe educate yourself at least a fucking little before stepping on your dick with a comment like this. 

Fuck off, shithead. Sorry I don't subscribe to your newsletter that athletes driving Lambos is charitable giving. Please inform me what good works athletes are doing for the cash they're getting paid. I have no problem with athletes getting paid, but to call it charitable is bullshit. I don't see Quinn Ewers curing cancer.

Edited by royiv
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, royiv said:

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Fuck off, shithead. Sorry I don't subscribe to your newsletter that athletes driving Lambos is charitable giving. Please inform me what good works athletes are doing for the cash they're getting paid. I have no problem with athletes getting paid, but to call it charitable is bullshit. I don't see Quinn Ewers curing cancer.

Nice. A good "NIL is/is not charitable giving" debate featuring philosophy, personal ethics, and accounting regulations. This is going to be fun.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, royiv said:

Well for one - Bijan's corporate sponsorships have nothing to do with TexasOne or HornsWithHeart, but if we are talking about Bijan specifically:
https://www.kxan.com/sports/texas-running-back-bijan-robinson-helps-raise-money-and-discusses-the-direction-of-the-football-program/

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/ut-running-back-bijan-robinson-den-foundation-community-first-village/

https://arizonasports.com/story/3279711/texas-rb-tucson-native-bijan-robinson-donates-3k-worth-backpacks/

https://den5for5.com/ -> https://mlf.org/community-first/

There are more examples, but of course you are too fucking stupid to understand that NIL and charity mix extremely well.

Quinn Ewers hasn't done much outside of corporate NIL and has never claimed to.

TexasOne is specifically putting together charity and NIL as it's SOLE mission and every single time the player gets paid their quid pro quo is actually tied to charitable giving, work or promotion. 

If you keep talking shit or nonsense about players getting paid being impossible to be charitable I will fucking ban you.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Nice. A good "NIL is/is not charitable giving" debate featuring philosophy, personal ethics, and accounting regulations. This is going to be fun.

Not really. It's one of those two hit fights - the dipshit poster gets hit and then he hits the floor. The guy is conflating multiple issues without being informed and isn't worth the bullet.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Well for one - Bijan's corporate sponsorships have nothing to do with TexasOne or HornsWithHeart, but if we are talking about Bijan specifically:
https://www.kxan.com/sports/texas-running-back-bijan-robinson-helps-raise-money-and-discusses-the-direction-of-the-football-program/

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/ut-running-back-bijan-robinson-den-foundation-community-first-village/

https://arizonasports.com/story/3279711/texas-rb-tucson-native-bijan-robinson-donates-3k-worth-backpacks/

There are more examples, but of course you are too fucking stupid to understand that NIL and charity mix extremely well.

TexasOne is specifically putting together charity and NIL as it's SOLE mission and every single time the player gets paid their quid pro quo is actually tied to charitable giving, work or promotion. 

If you keep talking shit or nonsense about players getting paid being impossible to be charitable I will fucking ban you.

You are such a thin skinned little bitch. You immediately resort to threats anytime someone has an opinion that you disagree with. I have zero problems with athletes getting paid. Should have happened a long time ago. Paying players under the guise of charitable giving is dumb in my opinion. People volunteer their time for good causes, not get paid for it. 

• Fuck You 10

Just now, royiv said:

You are such a thin skinned little bitch. You immediately resort to threats anytime someone has an opinion that you disagree with. I have zero problems with athletes getting paid. Should have happened a long time ago. Paying players under the guise of charitable giving is dumb in my opinion. People volunteer their time for good causes, not get paid for it. 

Solid goalpost move. 

Look, the reality is that what you posted is factually incorrect. People can give to a non-profit to pay players to work with charities. You can have your dipshitted opinions about it, but quite literally, it is not a "stretch". We all get to have our own opinions, but this isn't a safe space for conjuring your own "facts". 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Serious question: Couldn't he have done that stuff before NIL though? I mean as long as they weren't taking money or gifts couldn't athletes sponsor or spokesmen for legit charities before NIL was a thing? I'm sure NIL makes it easier for them to get hooked up with programs at a larger scale but promoting charities was a thing before, right?

Not tying to downgrade Bijan's community service at all. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Solid goalpost move. 

Look, the reality is that what you posted is factually incorrect. People can give to a non-profit to pay players to work with charities. You can have your dipshitted opinions about it, but quite literally, it is not a "stretch". We all get to have our own opinions, but this isn't a safe space for conjuring your own "facts". 

When did I claim my opinion was a fact? You can dislike my opinion and that's fair. It seems quite silly to me that you and immamac have gotten so triggered by a one sentence opinion. 

• Fuck You 4

7 minutes ago, royiv said:

DON'T YOU EVER QUESTION THE CHARITABLE WORK OUR ATHLETES DO THAT THEY ARE COMPENSATED FOR YOU STUPID MISERABLE FUCK STAIN.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, royiv said:

When did I claim my opinion was a fact? You can dislike my opinion and that's fair. It seems quite silly to me that you and immamac have gotten so triggered by a one sentence opinion. 

Your one sentence opinion shits on a lot of legitimate work that A LOT of people have done. Legitimately thousands of hours. You are in the wrong here, and your comments are toxic and I don't want them on my website that I own. I don't give a shit if you think that's thin skinned or not.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

I'm not triggered by much. Weak-willed men. Hypocrisy. Ignorance. You just happen to be displaying all 3 of those right now. You took a factually incorrect position, then started calling names and changing your position when challenged, and now can't just take the L and shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Serious question: Couldn't he have done that stuff before NIL though? I mean as long as they weren't taking money or gifts couldn't athletes sponsor or spokesmen for legit charities before NIL was a thing? I'm sure NIL makes it easier for them to get hooked up with programs at a larger scale but promoting charities was a thing before, right?

Not tying to downgrade Bijan's community service at all. 

Yeah, the impact is just significantly less. It's the if it's free is it really valuable paradox. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

Your one sentence opinion shits on a lot of legitimate work that A LOT of people have done. Legitimately thousands of hours. You are in the wrong here, and your comments are toxic and I don't want them on my website that I own. I don't give a shit if you think that's thin skinned or not.

Don't ban that guy. This website was built on assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Don't ban that guy. 

User name checks out.

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a free country, so folks have the right to freely spend their time however they'd like, sure. Not much of that was happening though. At least now you have guys motivated to go out do things like working with Habitat For Humanity and children's hospitals and refurbishing schools and libraries. Those charities are happy to have the help and not be paying for it. Normally, if a charity wants celebrity support, unless it is a pet cause of said celeb, they're paying for the appearance. That kind of NIL program is legitimately helping charities. You can see that by the way charities are starting to line up with local NILs for help.

Separately, which folks are conflating, are sponsorships from the corporate world. No one is claiming that Bryce Young doing Dr. Pepper commercials or Bijan Robinson driving a Lambo is a charitable act. Those guys are being paid for their name, image, and likeness, no differently than Jennifer Aniston is by Smart Water. 

This.  Nobody said the value these guys provide to the charities has to equal what they are receiving under NIL.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Who the fuck let this guy in?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, royiv said:

You can think of it this way, the donors are literally buying the players' NIL (and potentially time) and then giving it to the charities for their mission.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

CDC was talking up Dykes and Franklin. It was discussed contemporaneously on this board in the Urban Meyer thread and the later confirmed by $9.95ers long after the fact when the dust had settled. CDC wasn't taken seriously during the process because of shit like that. He also balked at letting Meyer have his own AD for football, understandably but critically. 

The BOR and BMDs wanted Meyer, then Kelly, and then jumped on the rebound girl, Seven Win Steve. Love it or hate it, but that's always been the word on it all went down.

Credit to Sonny Dykes for what he's done at TCU in year 1. It's pretty stunning, but it's also very reminiscent of the run Mel Tucker and MSU had last year, in which they won a lot of very close games in the fourth quarter. That shit is very hard to replicate or repeat.

Maybe Sonny Dykes runs the table this year. Good for him and TCU if so. I'd trade a title run for a future repeat of the last 13 years, personally, so I have zero shit to talk about something crazy like that happening. 

Maybe Dykes and TCU get run over in the playoffs as many here are predicting. I don't know if that would shock me, but I view that as less likely than TCU continuing to play at a high enough level to play with and even beat any of the other teams left in the CFP. People just handing the trophy to Georgia again are being presumptuous. 

Regardless, I don't see him or TCU sniffing an opportunity again like this any time in the vaguely near future. They're going to lose a ton of talent, including Duggan, and Dykes doing it all again with a new cast recruited by his staff seems far-fetched given his history. I wasn't a fan of the Sarkisian hire, or the Herman hire for that matter, but I would have straight up vomited had Dykes been the guy. If given the choice right now for who is coaching Texas in 2023 between Sonny Dykes and Steve Sarkisian, I guess I would flip a fucking coin and kick my neighbor's dog. 

This discussion made me go back and read some PM's to refresh my memory of events. I'd heard Sark was a real possibility around the time you did from a good buddy, who knows some folks who would know. After Sark was announced, he said he was told that after Urban walked away we were all set to roll with Herman for 2021 until Sark absolutely crushed his interview. Didn't sound like Sark was a very serious candidate before that.

FTR, I'd love to be winning more games but I like the trajectory Sark has us on and cannot argue he's recruiting better than Herman was/would be. I hope he pans out because he's much more likable than Herman.

• Hook 'Em 3

I thought this week's press conference had some good stuff.

Sark was pretty reflective and voiced many of the concerns we have all had on here.  I can't remember Herman or Mack approaching things that way.

He took the blame for not running the ball better late in games.  Also said more development of the passing game would be the focus of bowl workouts.

Saying it doesn't mean it will get fixed but it does seem like he recognizes most  of the same issues we worry about here and isn't afraid to voice them as needing to be fixed.

• Hook 'Em 6