This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

TCU was stacking and overloading the box and they were whipping our OL with the penetration they were getting.  Sark tried to run it.  Bijan was getting hit behind the line line everytime.  His mistake was that he was trying to throw it deep with play action to make them pay for stacking the box.  Instead, he should have attacked the outside in the screen game and punished tcu for overloading the box.  We started doing that late in the game with J Whit and we’re getting chunk yardage.  Sark wasn’t able to adjust early enough.  Even if he was, the entire offense was playing like shit.  Penalty after penalty along with dropped passes, inability to block, and bad throws.  We were doomed regardless of the plays that were called.  TCU had a good game plan on defense and we sucked it up.  Had nothing to do with Sark not getting the ball to Bijan.  Bijan was going to run into a wall for a loss every play.

So instead of feeding your heisman candidate, you throw it 3:1 vs the run with the Fr QB who is completely shitting the bed?

How did that work out for us?

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It doesn't mean simply because we run more we win is all I am saying. Other factors can contribute to that. 

Agreed. I'm not saying run would have been a certain win.  I'm saying i believe there would have been a better chance to win.

It's all hindsight, but you'll pretty much always hear me saying "Run The Ball".

I'm an old.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

So instead of feeding your heisman candidate, you throw it 3:1 vs the run with the Fr QB who is completely shitting the bed?

How did that work out for us?

We handed it to our Heisman candidate in OT vs Tech. How did that work out for us? 

Doesn't guarantee a win. 

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

TCU was stacking and overloading the box and they were whipping our OL with the penetration they were getting.  Sark tried to run it.  Bijan was getting hit behind the line line everytime.  His mistake was that he was trying to throw it deep with play action to make them pay for stacking the box.  Instead, he should have attacked the outside in the screen game and punished tcu for overloading the box.  We started doing that late in the game with J Whit and we’re getting chunk yardage.  Sark wasn’t able to adjust early enough.  Even if he was, the entire offense was playing like shit.  Penalty after penalty along with dropped passes, inability to block, and bad throws.  We were doomed regardless of the plays that were called.  TCU had a good game plan on defense and we sucked it up.  Had nothing to do with Sark not getting the ball to Bijan.  Bijan was going to run into a wall for a loss every play.

Didn't run enough to figure out what would work and then throw off it.

But I completely agree that too many deep shots was a factor.

Hell I'm ok with using the short passing game as run game, but even that didn't seem to be consistent.

Rush 3 / Drop 8 is Sark kryptonite.

I hope the is more go-go in the game next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Slacks said:

Agreed. I'm not saying run would have been a certain win.  I'm saying i believe there would have been a better chance to win.

It's all hindsight, but you'll pretty much always hear me saying "Run The Ball".

I'm an old.  

I would agree as I am also an old. I just get tired of the "if we did this ONE thing we would be 12-0" crowd. A lot of stupid factors contributed to our current record. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, victory88 said:

4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Didn't run enough to figure out what would work and then throw off it.

But I completely agree that too many deep shots was a factor.

Hell I'm ok with using the short passing game as run game, but even that didn't seem to be consistent.

Rush 3 / Drop 8 is Sark kryptonite.

I hope the is more go-go in the game next season.

This is where I have been. The deep shots are the issue not the passing game in and of itself. Get it out of his hands quick. Use the short passing game as a running attack. TCU was going to demand we show them we could throw it before they came out of what they were in, and we don't have a good enough line to run against loaded boxes. We went to that and then penalties n drops happened. 

We have lost in a variety of ways. One way is dropping all the INTs we had our hands on. We probably dropped double digits this year. Shame our linebacker has better hands than the secondary. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I would agree as I am also an old. I just get tired of the "if we did this ONE thing we would be 12-0" crowd. A lot of stupid factors contributed to our current record. 

Except I never said that.

I DID point out that you can run on TCU. We just decided not to do so.

35 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We handed it to our Heisman candidate in OT vs Tech. How did that work out for us? 

Doesn't guarantee a win. 

Who said it guaranteed anything? That’s a red herring.

Edited by lilMAC25

On 12/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, Dbeasy said:

I don’t know whether calling plays is part of the reason Sark teams have been having in-game challenges, but it does make you wonder when you see Riley teams also struggle with defense and have wtf games too.

If I were head coach I would never bury myself in play calling. I’d want to have the freedom to keep a pulse on everything during a game and during the week. 

Well, Riley has defensive problems because he has the same defensive staff as he had at blOwU for the most part.

I was skeptical of PK and still hate the way our DBs play, but the defensive progress made this year was pretty impressive.  I don't think Riley has ever had that.

I'm not sure we can say it's a systemic problem among playcalling coaches.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

We ran for over 200 yards on OSU and we put the ball in our best player's hands vs Tech and he fumbled it in OT. We lost both games. Of our 4 losses, TCU is the only game we lost with less than 30 carries. It doesn't mean simply because we run more we win is all I am saying. Other factors can contribute to that. 

Yeah that's the thing that annoys me.  IF Sarkisian had just done this or that, we'd be 12-0 and BECAUSE he didn't do this or that and obtain some other speculative outcome, he's a shit coach and should be fired.

That's a pretty amazing  causal "chain" of false certainty.  And a lot of that certainty seems to come from drawing some kind of similarity to some other failed coach, or a false or speculative assertion that Saban never does that or never did.

Because let's not kid ourselves, Saban is our only standard round here for a lot of folks.  And that's a masturbatory pipe dream.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah that's the thing that annoys me.  IF Sarkisian had just done this or that, we'd be 12-0 and BECAUSE he didn't do this or that and obtain some other speculative outcome, he's a shit coach and should be fired.

That's a pretty amazing  causal "chain" of false certainty.

Hindsight is always 20/20. So of course we are irritated that a coach didn't do something different in a loss. However, Surly takes it a step too far sometimes. "If we had only pulled out the QB who went 6-2 for the QB who went 2-2, we would've gone 12-0" might be my personal favorite. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Except I never said that.

I DID point out that you can run on TCU. We just decided not to do so.

Who said it guaranteed anything? That’s a red herring.

You don't "say" a lot of things, but you imply them. You also leave yourself a nice out too, which is a smart play. You and Anastasias should be friends. You guys run the same playbook. 

KSU has a better line than we do, and a JR QB who can kept TCU honest with the passing game. Thus they had a little more space to run the football. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. So of course we are irritated that a coach didn't do something different in a loss. However, Surly takes it a step too far sometimes. "If we had only pulled out the QB who went 6-2 for the QB who went 2-2, we would've gone 12-0" might be my personal favorite. 

The speculation is valid, as far as it goes, but it's speculation, not certainty,  And it gets treated as certainty all too often.

I tend not to "count" Sarkisian's prior head coaching stints against him because for a lot of practical purposes, that was a different Sarkisian than the one we've got.

I think he's still learning some things about being a HC, and isn't perhaps quite as advanced as his six something prior years as a drunk HC might indicate, once you consider that he was a drunk HC.

Also, the contrast between the plodding and ineffective second halves with the often pretty amazing first halves is frustrating as hell.   But focusing exclusively on the bad second halves seems to wrongly deny credit for the first half.  I remain optimistic that we're going to see some more four quarter "first halves" here in the near future.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You love to use quotes without actually quoting anyone. 

Just go to the Ewers thread and read about 20 pages or so. Or you can have this one from the Clemson-UNC thread. 

59 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Swinney is late to be sending any message.

He's old. But even so, maybe he's learned. Cost himself a trip to the FF with loyalty to a bad QB.

Listening, Sarkisian?

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

We have lost in a variety of ways. One way is dropping all the INTs we had our hands on. We probably dropped double digits this year. Shame our linebacker has better hands than the secondary. 

An experienced, wise, TX HS coach told me DBs are molded out of wanna-be receivers who once practiced their routes, but always had bad hands.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

An experienced, wise, TX HS coach told me DBs are molded out of wanna-be receivers who once practiced their routes, but always had bad hands.

Was gonna say "they're DBs because they aren't WRs."

But I do know that WRs work on making catches a lot more than DBs (every day, vs barely ever) and it is easier to make a catch when the ball is being thrown to you vs when you are trying to stop someone else from catching it and aren't sure where the ball is going, but happen to find it in your hands.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

12 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Was gonna say "they're DBs because they aren't WRs."

But I do know that WRs work on making catches a lot more than DBs (every day, vs barely ever) and it is easier to make a catch when the ball is being thrown to you vs when you are trying to stop someone else from catching it and aren't sure where the ball is going, but happen to find it in your hands.

Agreed on all accounts but damn! Come down with one or two of them. Some of those hit guys in the chest. 9 picks on the year. I guess you are a bit spoiled from watching the 09 team have 23. Hell, Blake Gideon fell into 6 that year, but what else would you expect from a coach on the field. 

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You don't "say" a lot of things, but you imply them. You also leave yourself a nice out too, which is a smart play. You and Anastasias should be friends. You guys run the same playbook. 

KSU has a better line than we do, and a JR QB who can kept TCU honest with the passing game. Thus they had a little more space to run the football. 

First a red herring, now projection.

I didn’t say “if we had run, it would have guaranteed a win” because that’s not what I meant. You said what you WANT me to have said and/have been thinking.

Instead, I said “you can’t run the ball on TCU” to make fun of that idiotic idea. Exactly as I intended.

Edited by lilMAC25

This is where I have been. The deep shots are the issue not the passing game in and of itself. Get it out of his hands quick. Use the short passing game as a running attack. TCU was going to demand we show them we could throw it before they came out of what they were in, and we don't have a good enough line to run against loaded boxes. We went to that and then penalties n drops happened. 

Blake Gideon is the safeties coach and you’re surprised about dropped interceptions?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

First a red herring, now projection.

I didn’t say “if we had run, it would have guaranteed a win” because that’s not what I meant. You’ve just said what you WANT me to have said and/have been thinking.

Instead, I said “you can’t run the ball on TCU” to make fun of that idiotic idea. Exactly as I intended.

And your "idea" that because KSU ran on them that we could is speculation. TCU loaded the box on us, run blitzed, and dared us to throw it. That is not how they played KSU, and KSU wasn't busting run blocks consistently, nor was their star running back dancing around in the backfield getting tackled for no gain. Using the phrase "If we had done this we would be 12-0" is largely hyperbolic(though there have been some that have suggested that) on my part, but you get the picture of why I said it. People watch another team do something and use it as proof that we could've. We are who we are. They are who they are. At this point in the maturation process of this team we can't run on teams that are physical at the point of attack the way Michigan can. We are the 03 Longhorns had they played an Alabama level team OOC. Struggling but promising freshman QB. Star running back got 13 carries vs Arkansas, and 12 carries vs OU. A lot of good pieces on the O-line but still young. Star wide receiver playing seemingly selfish ball on the way out the door, that we were trying to force the offense to. Defense largely good but had a couple wtf games. 

31 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

And your "idea" that because KSU ran on them that we could is speculation. TCU loaded the box on us, run blitzed, and dared us to throw it. That is not how they played KSU, and KSU wasn't busting run blocks consistently, nor was their star running back dancing around in the backfield getting tackled for no gain. Using the phrase "If we had done this we would be 12-0" is largely hyperbolic(though there have been some that have suggested that) on my part, but you get the picture of why I said it. People watch another team do something and use it as proof that we could've. We are who we are. They are who they are. At this point in the maturation process of this team we can't run on teams that are physical at the point of attack the way Michigan can. We are the 03 Longhorns had they played an Alabama level team OOC. Struggling but promising freshman QB. Star running back got 13 carries vs Arkansas, and 12 carries vs OU. A lot of good pieces on the O-line but still young. Star wide receiver playing seemingly selfish ball on the way out the door, that we were trying to force the offense to. Defense largely good but had a couple wtf games. 

Ah, now WE are what our record says we are this year, but our head coach is exempt from that, because reasons.

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Thatguy said:

And therein lies the problem....you are just reading the box score. 

Agreed.  These are the same fools that think Dykes is better than sark because he won 12 games in one year vs sark who won 13 in two years.  More games means more chances to lose.  Plus Dykes inherited a better roster at a purple I mean blue blood program.  Herman’s 7-3 record was misleading

Edited by closetohumping

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Sark only running bijan for 12 carries in the TCU game will always be the dumbest coaching decision we’ve ever seen in the last 20 years. Even dumber than kicking twice from Charlie. 

No doubt this guy was defending Charlie kicking it twice. Hell, he likely got mad when people pointed out that Chuckles tried to turn down a penalty that would give TEXAS a first down.

Edited by lilMAC25

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Agreed.  These are the same fools that think Dykes is better than sark because he won 12 games in one year vs sark who won 13 in two years.  More games means more chances to lose.  Plus Dykes inherited a better roster at a purple I mean blue blood program.  Herman’s 7-3 record was misleading

Imagine how good TCU would’ve been if the guy Dykes picked as the starter at QB hadn’t gotten hurt. Scary. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Imagine how good TCU would’ve been if the guy Dykes picked as the starter at QB hadn’t gotten hurt. Scary. 

Hey. Hats off to him for giving that kid duggan a chance.   May want to hire a qb evaluator for next year though.   Maybe then he will be in sarks class.  I know gene chizik won a title and he sucks.  

57 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

No doubt this guy was defending Charlie kicking it twice. Hell, he likely got mad when people pointed out that Chuckles tried to turn down a penalty that would give TEXAS a first down.

Kind of leaving out pertinent facts.  Charlie himself said when the game is on the line he wants his defense out there as that’s his best unit

• Haha 1

Context matters (so I’ve been told.) Dykes isn’t that great. (Ok yeah whatever.)

He had a lot of upper classmen. (True—so I assume Sark could have done the same at TCU this year…nope.)

Duggan is a robot. He’s really 35 years old. We’d have smote either team down in the big 12 championship…blah blah blah…does everyone feel better? I’ve heard every excuse in the book. The last few weeks. Sonny outcoached Sark in the regular season and he was able to take the roster he had and using a legit OC scheme around their strengths. That to me is the mark of a good HC. Will he be great? Who knows? Could Sark have gone to TCU this year and done what Sonny and his staff accomplished? (Narrator: Nope.) Could Sonny have come to UT this year and made it to the Big 12  championship and go on to the CFP? I believe he would. Especially with Rojo and Bijan. 

Ultimately it doesn’t matter what I think. We aren’t playing for the CFP. You can make all the excuses you want for why that is. Will Satk ultimately in the long term be a better HC than Dykes? I guess we’ll see. But right now scoreboard and all that…Sonny did a better job in year one at TCU than Sark has done in the last two years at UT. If iT makes you feel better at night when you’re rocking yourself to sleep to say Sark is better at this point that’s fair. A better argument will be where will these two HCs be in 5 years. Because apparently we can’t compare Sark and Sonny now because of context etc…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Context matters (so I’ve been told.) Dykes isn’t that great. (Ok yeah whatever.)

He had a lot of upper classmen. (True—so I assume Sark could have done the same at TCU this year…nope.)

Duggan is a robot. He’s really 35 years old. We’d have smote either team down in the big 12 championship…blah blah blah…does everyone feel better? I’ve heard every excuse in the book. The last few weeks. Sonny outcoached Sark in the regular season and he was able to take the roster he had and using a legit OC scheme around their strengths. That to me is the mark of a good HC. Will he be great? Who knows? Could Sark have gone to TCU this year and done what Sonny and his staff accomplished? (Narrator: Nope.) Could Sonny have come to UT this year and made it to the Big 12  championship and go on to the CFP? I believe he would. Especially with Rojo and Bijan. 

Ultimately it doesn’t matter what I think. We aren’t playing for the CFP. You can make all the excuses you want for why that is. Will Satk ultimately in the long term be a better HC than Dykes? I guess we’ll see. But right now scoreboard and all that…Sonny did a better job in year one at TCU than Sark has done in the last two years at UT. If iT makes you feel better at night when you’re rocking yourself to sleep to say Sark is better at this point that’s fair. A better argument will be where will these two HCs be in 5 years. Because apparently we can’t compare Sark and Sonny now because of context etc…

When’s the last time a team made the CFP with two true freshmen and a sophomore on the OL along with a freshman at QB? Were there a lot of CFP preseason predictions here?

Time will, indeed, tell, though. Which sucks, because patience is often hard to come by with fans. I wonder who would be DC by now if this board ran things. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

it's the offensive line stupid, it's always been the offensive line stupid and it will always be the offensive line stupid, all these other discussions? blah blah fucking blah

Which seems to be trending Texas’ way, imo. Build the core and supplement where necessary. A lot of football problems go away when your OL is kicking people’s asses. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

it's the offensive line stupid, it's always been the offensive line stupid and it will always be the offensive line stupid, all these other discussions? blah blah fucking blah

Baylor returned 4 starters on the OL from a 12-2 team.  Sometimes it’s the defense.   Sometimes it’s the QB.  

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

A great offensive line will make any play caller look like a genius.

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

When’s the last time a team made the CFP with two true freshmen and a sophomore on the OL along with a freshman at QB? Were there a lot of CFP preseason predictions here?

Time will, indeed, tell, though. Which sucks, because patience is often hard to come by with fans. I wonder who would be DC by now if this board ran things. 

Coach February would've been run off before 05. Major Applewhite would've been the QB over Simms. VY would've been moved to receiver. Colt McCoy would've been replace by John Childs. Will Muschamp would've been fired halfway through 08. The list goes on and on. We are an awful, entitled fanbase. Lol. I cannot wait until TCU's current crop leaves and we see what Sonny Dykes really has to offer. Remember when this fanbase was excited over Manny Diaz and his fire zones? Then every team  realized we had no gap integrity and ran different variations of the same running play every week until he was let go? I do. Remember when we hired Todd Orlando? Lol

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Coach February would've been run off before 05. Major Applewhite would've been the QB over Simms. VY would've been moved to receiver. Colt McCoy would've been replace by John Childs. Will Muschamp would've been fired halfway through 08. The list goes on and on. We are an awful, entitled fanbase. Lol. I cannot wait until TCU's current crop leaves and we see what Sonny Dykes really has to offer. Remember when this fanbase was excited over Manny Diaz and his fire zones? Then every team  realized we had no gap integrity and ran different variations of the same running play every week until he was let go? I do. Remember when we hired Todd Orlando? Lol

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Giving a guy a loss to a guy who didn’t start, didn’t get first team reps and actually handed over a lead to the defense is interesting.

He was pretty good this year, last year he wasn’t. At all. He was VASTLY inferior to Casey Thompson (who wasn’t good himself), and yet Sark ran him out there against Ark over Casey.

Edited by lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You have to believe that Sark gets it in his head who the qb is gonna be and then just sticks with it no matter what.

Exactly. Which is why he pulled the plug on his starting QB 6 quarters into the 2021 season.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4