This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

8-5 is pretty frustrating in that it’s sort of right on the edge of the success/failure spectrum for this year. Close margins of defeat give a bit of weight to the success side

I look at it the other way -- a team that loses a lot of close games is not a well-coached team.  I don't see it as evidence of we're-almost-there.  Especially when two of those losses were against clearly inferior teams after we'd been up by 14.

And we damn near lost to a pretty bad Iowa State team, too.

How many teams did we play this season who had a talent advantage?  It's debatable, but it sure as shit isn't 5 or 6.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

8-5 is pretty frustrating in that it’s sort of right on the edge of the success/failure spectrum for this year. Close margins of defeat give a bit of weight to the success side, but I think most would agree it tends more to the failure side given the missed opportunities.

In the end, all that really means is that next year’s result will carry most of the weight towards Sark’s tenability as coach. (Year three, no shit)

My opinion, failure to appear in Big 12 title game next year: Sark is on extremely thin ice if not fired outright.

There is simply no way Sark is fired before Arch takes the reins. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Absent a complete miserable disaster like 3-9 he’s not going anywhere. In fact he’s more likely to get a 5th year so long as he’s bouncing around at at least .500.  Yes that’s at least 2 if not 3 more years.

This is not true. In a 5th year that would be Arch Manning’s and Baxter’s final season in college. If he’s hovering around .500 with Ewers, then arch, and brooks blue Baxter and the OL and DL he’s recruited then it’s beyond obvious that the things he sucks at now with top tier definitely more than adequate talent are going to be the reason for being around .500 and he will be fired. He’s just not a good head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is not true. In a 5th year that would be Arch Manning’s and Baxter’s final season in college. If he’s hovering around .500 with Ewers, then arch, and brooks blue Baxter and the OL and DL he’s recruited then it’s beyond obvious that the things he sucks at now with top tier definitely more than adequate talent are going to be the reason for being around .500 and he will be fired. He’s just not a good head coach. 

He’s getting 2 more years without question, that’s 4 total. One more after that is completely possible even if we all know it’s piss.

here’s how it likely plays out, he wins 8 or 9 next year and in his 4th year eeks one more out to get to 10. 10 wins is great, but not after 5, 8, 9 wins. And 10 total still likely comes with 3 losses. Well, it’s the magic number though and he get an extension for a year. Heck I can see him getting a 5th year if he wins 9 in year 4. We are in a really bad spot here. 

Edited by troph

5 minutes ago, troph said:

He’s getting 2 more years without question, that’s 4 total. One more after that is completely possible even if we all know it’s piss.

He can lose the rest of the games under his first contract and not be fired. I don’t believe he gets an extension with buyout teeth unless he wins 9 games. If he doesn’t make the championship game for whatever conference he is in or make the top 12 next season he’s fired in year 5 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

He can lose the rest of the games under his first contract and not be fired. I don’t believe he gets an extension with buyout teeth unless he wins 9 games. If he doesn’t make the championship game for whatever conference he is in or make the top 12 next season he’s fired in year 5 

First 9 wins as the pinnacle in 4-5 years …  and an extension? That happens (9 wins) if he won tonight. kill me now. Second you just said fired in year 5? I thought there was no way? 

he camps around 9-10 wins (which means 3-4 losses) and he’s here for a while even if we all know he’s not winning shit. That should scare the begezus out of all of us.

Edited by troph
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

I believe Sark will get at least 3 more years as long as Arch is here and productive, and Sark's recruiting continues to be successful. 

25 minutes ago, troph said:

Absent a complete miserable disaster like 3-9 he’s not going anywhere. In fact he’s more likely to get a 5th year so long as he’s bouncing around at at least .500.  Yes that’s at least 2 if not 3 more years.

21 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

There is simply no way Sark is fired before Arch takes the reins. 

I suppose that's all true. Unlikely to be fired after next year, barring a complete disaster. And if we move to the SEC in 2024 as many are saying, Sark won't be held to the standard of being expected to reach the conference title game.

But, if after 4 years his team has not played for a conference title once, I don't see how you justify retaining him. That said, how that SEC inaugural season transpires would be an important factor.

Wait, so he loses the two most key players off his offense and we're all mad that he couldn't squeeze more than 20 points out of an offense that had a WR drop a TD pass and 2 more passes that could've extended drives to get points? It was not a great performance but this was 100% on Worthy and the defense. Sark squeezed about as much out of a shaky freshman QB, with no RB help as you can expect. I want to fault the dude but this was felt a lot like players not making plays. All against the #1 offense in the nation which Sark's team held to the 2nd lowest offensive total of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Sark is who he is. He’s a nice guy and recruits well (for now) and will hang on for another few years. But we will never win anything of significance with him at the helm. Then it’s on to the next hire we fuck up. 

Very true . He looks over his head here at Texas . Not sure he has the ability to be a head coach at a top tier program .  Sad to see this after all this time . Players are not reacting well to him nor is he a good gameday coach . A new coach search will probably be needed by next year if this this continues .

Well we have at least 1 more season in the Big 12, 2 more seasons tops. We hired Sark to lead the program into the SEC, but its looking likely his replacement will be thrown in that fire in his first year. This program is in a bad spot and I don't see a way out of the wilderness for a long time. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

34 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Does.not.compute

Reboot

Main issues I want to see addressed 

1. WR room sucks ass , can't catch 

2. Clock management and timeouts , WTF is he doing 

Honestly I think if he sorts these two out he will be successful, and if doesn't... we will find a new coach 

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Reboot

Honestly I think if he sorts these two out he will be successful, and if doesn't... we will find a new coach 

Fatterson could check those boxes fairly easily

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Wait, so he loses the two most key players off his offense and we're all mad that he couldn't squeeze more than 20 points out of an offense that had a WR drop a TD pass and 2 more passes that could've extended drives to get points? It was not a great performance but this was 100% on Worthy and the defense. Sark squeezed about as much out of a shaky freshman QB, with no RB help as you can expect. I want to fault the dude but this was felt a lot like players not making plays. All against the #1 offense in the nation which Sark's team held to the 2nd lowest offensive total of the season. 

Terrible blocking. Terrible play calling. Terrible clock management. Continued stupid pre snap penalties. Shaky QB play. Etc etc. 

If the key to getting more than 45 rushing yards is having generational talent at rb, that’s no bueno, and really no plan at all.  We just saw a preview of next year, and no super recruit freshman is going to come in and fix these issues magically. 

If you want to whistle past this graveyard and focus on one dudes shitty hands, ok. Whatever gets you through the night I guess.  There’s a reason Sark is a .500 coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

What's sad is we'll have him until Manning is gone. He's learned under 2 different NC winning head corches, and this is the shit he's bringing out. Using a gadget back to run up the middle instead of our next great 215 lb talented water waking Jesus back. The guy is truly a fucking moron. I mean, honestly, he's fucking retarded. Not Charlie Strong retarded, but he's clearly only meant to be an OC only for a reason. He cannot handle being a HC If he's not using what he learned from Carroll and Saban. 

Seriously, fuck that guy. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

First 9 wins as the pinnacle in 4-5 years …  and an extension? That happens (9 wins) if he won tonight. kill me now. Second you just said fired in year 5? I thought there was no way? 

he camps around 9-10 wins (which means 3-4 losses) and he’s here for a while even if we all know he’s not winning shit. That should scare the begezus out of all of us.

Would be a harbaugh like extension where the buyout is lowered imo

The bowl game is an exhibition. That’s why guys sit out. 
Yes, it’s on the coach. If he focuses a game plan, and really prepares the team, it makes a big difference. 
If, instead, he focuses on recruiting HS players and portal transfers, he probably has to roll out a pedestrian game plan for a modestly motivated team, that probably is ineffective, barring great individual play. 
If Sark did the latter (emphasized roster improvement over bowl game prep), it will show in next year’s record, and none of this will matter. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

In general, there are two types of Surly posters here regarding the tenure of Sark. Those who find HOPE and those who accept FATE. 

(These patterns were true with Strong and Herman and are likely true for all fan bases.)

HOPE

These posters always find something to give them hope, no matter how much the counter evidence. The future will be brighter and Sark will take the Longhorns to the promised land and win titles

-- Usually, the hope involves a savior of some type. A five star QB, Ewers and now Manning. A new stud RB. A new coordinator to transform the offense or defense. If not a single savior, then it is collective savior of recruiting boatloads of 4-5 stars and “getting his players” with time to “learn the system.” 

-- In addition, there must also be a handful of bad players/evil dudes (quitters, lazy, bad attitude, etc.) preventing Sark and Texas from winning more games. 

-- Finally, to counter the FATE posters below, there is a list of excuses and extenuating circumstances for why the team is 13-12 after two seasons, only two wins more than Strong.

FATE

These posters look to the empirical evidence of Sark’s record and realize the future is doomed to repeat the past, with no promised land and zero titles in sight. 

-- The fate involves accepting that Sark is no offensive guru, no savior (Manning, etc.) will overcome the problems. No recruiting influx or portaling of the “bad/evil” players will change anything long-term.

-- They can only hope that CDC and boosters (or whatever primo “search committee”) will find the next great coach. But, they look forward to the next coaching search with trepidation. They know we have the freedom to find a great coach, but fear the pattern will be repeated for a fourth time and we will be fated to “wander the desert” for almost 20 years. It’s 13 years and counting. 

Of course, some posters fluctuate between HOPE and FATE, depending on recent games. There is not much that can resolve the differences between HOPE and FATE except a massive amount of evidence either way: a 3-9 season or making the CFP and winning conference/national title.

Bottom line: It’s HOPE vs. FATE, the faithful vs. the existentialists (or believers vs. atheists, no CR). 

4 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Reboot

1. Cook, Niblett, Moore

2. if Sarkisian wants to keep calling plays, having someone else do game management might not be the worst idea in the world. 

4 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

In general, there are two types of Surly posters here regarding the tenure of Sark. Those who find HOPE and those who accept FATE. 

(These patterns were true with Strong and Herman and are likely true for all fan bases.)

HOPE

These posters always find something to give them hope, no matter how much the counter evidence. The future will be brighter and Sark will take the Longhorns to the promised land and win titles

-- Usually, the hope involves a savior of some type. A five star QB, Ewers and now Manning. A new stud RB. A new coordinator to transform the offense or defense. If not a single savior, then it is collective savior of recruiting boatloads of 4-5 stars and “getting his players” with time to “learn the system.” 

-- In addition, there must also be a handful of bad players/evil dudes (quitters, lazy, bad attitude, etc.) preventing Sark and Texas from winning more games. 

-- Finally, to counter the FATE posters below, there is a list of excuses and extenuating circumstances for why the team is 13-12 after two seasons, only two wins more than Strong.

FATE

These posters look to the empirical evidence of Sark’s record and realize the future is doomed to repeat the past, with no promised land and zero titles in sight. 

-- The fate involves accepting that Sark is no offensive guru, no savior (Manning, etc.) will overcome the problems. No recruiting influx or portaling of the “bad/evil” players will change anything long-term.

-- They can only hope that CDC and boosters (or whatever primo “search committee”) will find the next great coach. But, they look forward to the next coaching search with trepidation. They know we have the freedom to find a great coach, but fear the pattern will be repeated for a fourth time and we will be fated to “wander the desert” for almost 20 years. It’s 13 years and counting. 

Of course, some posters fluctuate between HOPE and FATE, depending on recent games. There is not much that can resolve the differences between HOPE and FATE except a massive amount of evidence either way: a 3-9 season or making the CFP and winning conference/national title.

Bottom line: It’s HOPE vs. FATE, the faithful vs. the existentialists (or believers vs. atheists, no CR). 

Do the FATE people look at how much better Brown started doing at Texas (despite being gifted the second best RB ever to wear burnt orange for his first season) after his first real class laid the groundwork for recruiting boatloads of talent? Or do the FATE people think Brown was just a kick ass coach and strategist who’d have won with his guys or the other guy’s?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

HOPE

FATE

Maybe it’s not just Black and White but there is some gray areas also.  I am still in the Hope category I guess but I see Sark’s problems also.  At the same time I don’t see a roster that is “loaded” with talent like some on this board suggest.  I get that the roster management is on Sark but he took the route of reloading with HS players versus transfers/portal guys.  He doesn’t need a savior to be successful but he damn sure needs a OL that doesn’t get blown up on every other play.  He needs WR’s that can catch and I think that is coming with Neyor, the freshmen and maybe another mystery portal WR.  The OL will improve since we are playing so many freshmen which is a sign of the shitty roster that he inherited.  Should Sark have gotten a upper classmen center and guards last year or this off season since guys like Jake Majors suck?  He probably should have and that does fall on Sark.  It sucks we went 8-5 this year but we had holes all over the roster/ no depth whatsoever and still do, but the roster is definitely improving compared to last year and many of the young players playing this year should improve going forward.  Half this board wanted Pete K gone and now many of those people think he knows what he is doing.  I think Sark will be similar in that all those saying he can’t call a good offense will change their tune once we have better Oline and WR play going forward.  Lastly, I will give you another coach who is historically and laughably bad at clock management and also strange play calls at the wrong time.  His name is Andy Reid and most consider him a solid coach especially when he has good talent to work with.  If Sark gets his talent in place and still sucks he will be fired and we will be on to the next guy but right now I am content to wait another year before I call for his head on a platter.

• Hook 'Em 4

Since 2001, Texas is 13-4 in bowl games. 1-1 in bowl games that mattered. The four losses were the 2003 Holiday Bowl (Davis: “I wasn’t expecting them to blitz”), 2009 Rose Bowl, 2013 Alamo Bowl (Brown’s last) and 2014 Texas Bowl (Strong’s helpless squad). 

I’m going to throw this out there- as much fun as bowl game wins are, as deflating as the losses are, they really don’t mean much unless they’re part of the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Reboot

What was so bad about the timeouts he called? You are about the 5th person I’ve seen bring that up.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

He’s a great position coach no doubt. Maybe a coordinator. He’s not a great head coach and I have seen no evidence he has what it takes to become one

• Hook 'Em 1

Most reasonable Surly folk had us at 8 or 9 wins, it just sucks to be right about it. That being said, there has been a decent amount of improvement. Recruiting is where it needs to be, we just need to see development follow. That’s where Herman and Strong lacked.

10 wins and a conference championship appearance is the standard next year. Anything less than that and it’s hot seat time. Miss a bowl game and he’s out. 

• Hook 'Em 6

There is a weird inconsistency to Sark coached teams. Every few games the offense grinds to a halt and the defense allows long, sustained life sucking drives all game long.

And the other team just seems to hammer away at the defense, being physical and mixing up the pass and run. It’s the same weird pattern over and over. The games look similar. No shootout losses. No wipeout losses. Just listless farts in the wind. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Most reasonable Surly folk had us at 8 or 9 wins, it just sucks to be right about it. That being said, there has been a decent amount of improvement. Recruiting is where it needs to be, we just need to see development follow. That’s where Herman and Strong lacked.

10 wins and a conference championship appearance is the standard next year. Anything less than that and it’s hot seat time. Miss a bowl game and he’s out. 

The problem is this isn't an 8-9 win team in the dogshit big xii. This team lost to absolute dogshit teams. After starting in near blowout fashion and not scoring in the 2nd half of games with the deepest and best RB room in the country. 

Everyone who keeps saying that it's incredible be even won 8 with this roster is a complete fucking moron. This roster is fucking stacked. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

The window dressing in college football has changed over the 150+ years of the sport, but the fundamental truth that has always existed exists to this day: the mean, nastier, more physical teams at the line of scrimmage are the teams that are going to win most football games. That's been the problem for Texas for the past 10+ years and is the problem now and the problem is two fold.

At the granular level, while there's a lot of talented young players on the o-line, they don't have anybody with a mean, nasty mentality in that group right now. They get pushed around in the run game far too easily and for all the plaudits Kyle Flood came to Texas with, the offensive line in two years has yet to look like they can move bodies in the run game.

At the philosophical level, it doesn't help when the head coach views a four yard gain as a negative. Sark is so quick to abandon the run game at the first sight of any trouble. Did it in Stillwater this year when Ewers couldn't hit water from a boat. Didn't even try to establish any kind of run game against a putrid run defense last night. Starting Keilan Robinson as your every down between-the-tackles back was a joke. He certainly has a role in this offense and that ain't it. Until Texas can get back to mauling people up front, this is a program with a 8-9 win ceiling. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

The problem is this isn't an 8-9 win team in the dogshit big xii. This team lost to absolute dogshit teams. After starting in near blowout fashion and not scoring in the 2nd half of games with the deepest and best RB room in the country. 

Everyone who keeps saying that it's incredible be even won 8 with this roster is a complete fucking moron. This roster is fucking stacked. 

That’s why true freshmen are starting on the OL. A 1 receiver who can’t catch. STACKED.

Pretty sure anyone who predicted 8-9 wins knew in which conference Texas would be playing. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

we did not have championship talent on the lines of scrimmage.  Our center, guards, and DEs were and are jags.  

It's also mind blowing that they started Cole Hutson the entire season over DJ Campbell. If Hutson had the leg up because he enrolled early, fine, but his play never warranted him being the starter all year and leaving the #1 OL recruit on the bench behind a bad player all year in the era of the transfer portal is just insanely stupid. Let Campbell take his lumps. His upside is just so significantly higher.

Edited by ATLLonghorn

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Exactly

The Tech and Oklahoma State losses were so fucking miserable and 100% on coaching failure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

we did not have championship talent on the lines of scrimmage.  Our center guards and DEs were and are jags.  

I wonder if a team has ever made the CFP or national championship game in the last 20 years with a freshman QB or LT. Or even just won a P5 conference.

It was a shitty first half. Lot of it on the players for dumbass mistakes. Some of it on the coaches. As you said, we have championship level talent in some rooms while others are still lacking but have young talent from the 22 or 23 class or portal on the way.

If someone’s opinion on Sark shifted because of this single bowl game, good or bad, they already had their mind made up in the first place.

I am not 100% sold. I don’t know how anyone can be. But I see development at key positions. I saw improvements on defense year over year. I see us recruiting important positions at a high level and I see the overall trend line pointing up still. If any of that changes, I’ll be out just like the rest of us probably will.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I wonder if a team has ever made the CFP or national championship game in the last 20 years with a freshman QB or LT. Or even just won a P5 conference.

It was a shitty first half. Lot of it on the players for dumbass mistakes. Some of it on the coaches. As you said, we have championship level talent in some rooms while others are still lacking but have  young talent from the 22 or 23 class or portal on the way.

If someone’s opinion on Sark shifted because of this single bowl game, good or bad, they already had their mind made up in the first place.

I am not 100% sold. I don’t know how anyone can be. But I see development at key positions. I saw improvements on defense year over year I see us recruiting important positions at a high level and I see the overall trend line pointing up still. If any of that changes, I’ll be out just like the rest of us probably will.

They have. We did this a couple months ago. It’s not common but it has happened. I think Clemson was the most recent example but I’m too lazy to look it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

I totally get the bowl games are meaningless exhibitions. I’m actually not upset about guys sitting out for that reason. Let’s get a head start on next season. See who can play. For some reason Sark acted and talked like there were no other runningbacks on the roster. Had a perfectly good runningback in Brooks and who knows with Blue. We knew ahead of time that Robinson wasn’t a RB1. He actually shouldn’t be a rb at all. The whole thing was dumb and unexplainable. This was a good chance to give them both extended carries. Seems perfect for a bowl game. Puzzling why we chose to feature Robinson.
Baxter better be the man next year. Not sure Wisner is a runningback, could see Blue leave and who knows with Brooks after the lack of use last night. Runningback is all of a sudden a question mark to me. Not for lack of talent but for lack of sensible game plan. I go back and forth with Sark. Off the field, at the podium he checks a lot of the boxes and the recruiting has reflected that. It’s where the rubber meets the road on Saturdays where I still have my doubts. I really think he should give up play calling and manage the game better. His play calling can be genius and remedial booger eating frustrating all in the same drive. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Do the FATE people look at how much better Brown started doing at Texas (despite being gifted the second best RB ever to wear burnt orange for his first season) after his first real class laid the groundwork for recruiting boatloads of talent? Or do the FATE people think Brown was just a kick ass coach and strategist who’d have won with his guys or the other guy’s?

Mack Brown was a vastly superior HC.

VASTLY.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1