This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

40 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hmmm. Riley. Day. Sark. Play calling head coaches keep giving up big leads. One might think they aren’t doing their whole head coaching job. 

Given the demonstrated ability to pile up the big lead in the first place, maybe an answer is having someone else responsible for game management and shaking him out of his tunnel vision. He seems pretty good at the recruiting and roster management — yes, yes, I know, need more portals in or something — aspects of the head coach job, too. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Hmmm. Riley. Day. Sark. Play calling head coaches keep giving up big leads. One might think they aren’t doing their whole head coaching job. 
Counterpoint, our best wins resulted when turtle took over playcalling, which was usually bowl games..wins over misery, Utah and Georgia, all of which were good teams in those seasons. Oh and I'm reasonably sure (noticed he was toting a clipboard and more active on the headset) he called the "take the loss pussy" win over blowU as well even if he didn't always admit to it.

I mean what does a CEO coach do during games if they aren't calling offensive plays or defensive alignments...meddling with the calls via headset like MBTF? If we could get Lincoln's little bro in as OC I'd be fine with it, but Sark is one of the best OC's at the P5 level, no question about that. Having a playcalling head coach can also help with recruiting...anyone who follows CFB knows any coordinator who has sustained success to sell to a recruit is also going to be at the top of lots of schools lists as a possible HC.

3 hours ago, ousux said:

I mean what does a CEO coach do during games if they aren't calling offensive plays or defensive alignments...meddling with the calls via headset like MBTF? If we could get Lincoln's little bro in as OC I'd be fine with it, but Sark is one of the best OC's at the P5 level, no question about that. Having a playcalling head coach can also help with recruiting...anyone who follows CFB knows any coordinator who has sustained success to sell to a recruit is also going to be at the top of lots of schools lists as a possible HC.

* with Bama-level talent overwhelming the opposition.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, ousux said:

Counterpoint, our best wins resulted when turtle took over playcalling, which was usually bowl games..wins over misery, Utah and Georgia, all of which were good teams in those seasons. Oh and I'm reasonably sure (noticed he was toting a clipboard and more active on the headset) he called the "take the loss pussy" win over blowU as well even if he didn't always admit to it.

Observing and adjusting. Giving both Coordinators direction on where they're leaking or pushing in directions where we have advantages. 

This is akin to a CEO appointing a  talented VP of Sales and a VP of marketing. You can guide them, but let them do what they were hired to do. The CEO can't go meddling in the Sales department while the Financials are burning down. He has to be over all of it, which requires strategic delegation and direction. 

• Like 1

he’s getting paid for A results 

Relative to the market he’s actually not. The average annual base salary in his contract - before any incentives - is
Don’t know what Dykes makes, know Venables and Gundy make more. What Sark delivered this year is roughly fair value for his contract in the CFB coaching market.
  • Hook 'Em 1

He was referring to Buicks…1984-buick-regal

Dope center lines on that regal.

Look I get this is impractical. But if you just took an objective look at the staff without any biases you’d have Patterson as the head coach and sark as the OC.

I realize that’s not exactly a ground breaking take.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

... But if you just took an objective look at the staff without any biases you’d have Patterson as the head coach and sark as the OC.

I realize that’s not exactly a ground breaking take.

I have been assuming all along that this was part of CDC's strategy here. Patterson seems to have been helping with both training and game planning. It has looked like he's offered some ideas that were accepted and some that simply have been ignored, both at the DC level and the HC level. If Sark can't decide on being HC or OC, it might be time to place Patterson above him, in whatever org-chart way looks good to errbody, and make sure both Sark and PK undertand that what Gary tells them is The Truth and not just suggestions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

But if you just took an objective look at the staff without any biases you’d have Patterson as the head coach and sark as the OC.

That would make so much sense and make for quite an interesting meeting: "Coach Sark, we have some news that we think you'll be really excited about." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I like that a lot, but it was an era rich with choices!

image.jpeg

1970 GTO was my first car, so I’m partial. 400, Verdoro green with black vinyl. Basically this car. But, yeah, late 60s to very early 70s was a golden age for that. If not GTO, I liked the Camaros and Chevelles. Never was a Mustang fan. 

7FA645B2-0BE0-4100-B6D6-E98D6FECDBC6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Relative to the market he’s actually not. The average annual base salary in his contract - before any incentives - is
Don’t know what Dykes makes, know Venables and Gundy make more. What Sark delivered this year is roughly fair value for his contract in the CFB coaching market.

Sark's current contract:

• 2021 - $5.2 million
  • 2022 - $5.4 million
  • 2023 - $5.6 million
  • 2024 - $5.8 million
  • 2025 - $6 million
  • 2026 - $6.2 million

--------------------------------------------

Recent stuff I found HC Salaries  (10/2022)

Highest-paid college football coaches in 2022

1. Nick Saban $10.96 million
  2. Dabo Swinney $10.54 million
  3. Kirby Smart $10.25 million
  4. Brian Kelly $9.81 million
  5. Mel Tucker $9.56 million
  6. Jimbo Fisher $9.00 million
  7. Ryan Day $8.78 million
  8. James Franklin $8.50 million
  9. Jim Harbaugh $8.11 million
  10. Mike Gundy $7.50 million

Source:  USA Today

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/10/nick-saban-again-nations-highest-paid-college-football-coach.html

Found a few private schools data...

• Lincoln Riley (might be $10mil)
  • Mario Cristobal  ($8mil)
  • David Shaw ($8.9mil)

---------------------------------------------

And new deals going up...

Per contract terms and salary figures divulged Monday by Wisconsin athletics director Chris McIntosh, Fickell has garnered a guaranteed seven-year deal worth a total of more than $50 million -- including a minimum of $7.5 million for the life of Fickell's contract.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"We, the coaches of D1 college football teams, are outraged that players are getting paid NIL money. We think it is ruining the amatuer spirit of college athletics." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sark's current contract:
  • 2021 - $5.2 million
  • 2022 - $5.4 million
  • 2023 - $5.6 million
  • 2024 - $5.8 million
  • 2025 - $6 million
  • 2026 - $6.2 million
--------------------------------------------
Recent stuff I found HC Salaries  (10/2022)

Source:  USA Today
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/10/nick-saban-again-nations-highest-paid-college-football-coach.html
Found a few private schools data...
  • Lincoln Riley (might be $10mil)
  • Mario Cristobal  ($8mil)
  • David Shaw ($8.9mil)
---------------------------------------------
And new deals going up...
Per contract terms and salary figures divulged Monday by Wisconsin athletics director Chris McIntosh, Fickell has garnered a guaranteed seven-year deal worth a total of more than $50 million -- including a minimum of $7.5 million for the life of Fickell's contract.

So basically we are getting what we pay for?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jimbo Fisher is bringing in former Arkansas and Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino, one of the most respected offensive minds in football, to be Texas A&M's offensive coordinator, sources told ESPN.

Fisher has always called his own plays on offense and is one of the diminishing number of head coaches to do so, and although he will still be heavily involved in the Aggies' offense, sources told ESPN that Petrino will take over primary play-calling duties.

It's not uncommon for Fisher to take his time and wait until January to make a coordinator hire. He hired his last two defensive coordinators (D.J. Durkin and Mike Elko) after the New Year. For this job, Fisher also talked to TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley, among others, sources told ESPN.

Sooooooo even Dumbo Jimbo is finally getting an OC. 

Edited by Nicole44